Consolidating my 9mm collection to one platform

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Which handgun platform should I consider most?

Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 (and maybe some 1.0)
33%
Walther PPQ (as well as P99)
7%
SIG P320
22%
CZ75 (and variants like P07, P09, clones, Jerichos)
37%
Beretta 92
No votes
HK P30 and VP9
No votes

Total votes: 27

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Consolidating my 9mm collection to one platform

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:27 pm

I really wanna downsize my random collection of budget 9mm handguns to one platform. I have a mix of striker and hammer fired guns and I shoot them all pretty well (or poorly, depending on the day). So all things equal, I can handle most platforms.

Except for Glock, sadly. I need more time shooting them, the angle throws me off. Maybe one day.
Anyways, I'm leaning towards striker, but my options are as follows in order that I am favoring.

I'm considering: cost, aftermarket, customization, cool factor, longevity, and mag compatibility across a platform.
Uses: Home Defense, target, sport, competition, concealed carry, SHTF... you name it

What say the masses??
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Consolidating my 9mm collection to one platform

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:38 pm

Dang... only barrels I can find for the Walthers are Jarvis and $275 plus

I really like the Jerichos but if anyone has a lead on aftermarket parts, I'll give them a high-5
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:39 pm

I own both M&P platform guns and CZ75 based guns. While I like the M&P platform quite a bit the CZ75 gets my nod as a SHTF gun because of the exposed hammer and ruggedness. In a SHTF situation you may not have 100% reliable ammo and with a striker fire the best you can do is rack it and eject it while with a hammer fired pistol you can try a second or third time to fire it a lot faster than racking and ejecting a round. A lot of questionable ammo will fire just fine on the second attempt. This becomes even more important in a SHTF situation where not only is the ammo questionable, but you also have a very limited quantity.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:24 pm

Aw, no love for the Sig Sauer P22x line?

I voted for the CZ75 as they are built rugged with a proven history, and interchangeable mags. Meaning, a concealed carry CZ RAMI can use the same magazines as the duty size CZ75 (and P-01, I believe). For me, that interchangeability is the biggest benefit of condensing down to a common platform.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:22 pm

Smith
Sig
Walther

Those are my preferences in order from your list. What is most important is how well you shoot them and how comfortable you feel carrying them. I'd say nothing on your list strike me as being off.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:40 pm

Stercutus wrote:Smith
Sig
Walther

Those are my preferences in order from your list. What is most important is how well you shoot them and how comfortable you feel carrying them. I'd say nothing on your list strike me as being off.
I actually took out some of my 9's two days ago and had a pistol "shoot out" to see which I preferred. I did 4 informal tests (speed, groups, long range, and extra long range), and all my pistols performed decent across the board.

So I truly think I can handle all on the list just as well as any other depending on day.

Which makes it tough. I just wish I could grab one gun and be like... "ah yes, this firearm was meant for me... it's destiny!!"

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:10 pm

I think my 1911 is the gun of destiny for me. INCH or going off to war and it goes with me as first choice.

However it is less practical for concealed carry and does not fill certain roles as well as other platforms. Even compact 1911 models are really heavy and low capacity. Sticking with a more modern platform such as Glock or M&P allows you to carry different sized and capability guns (but similar and familiar) that fill certain roles better than others. The Glock line is especially good at this.

Everything is a compromise. One do it all gun that is the answer to every problem isn't out there that I have seen.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:44 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sig
Walther

I actually took out some of my 9's two days ago and had a pistol "shoot out" to see which I preferred. I did 4 informal tests (speed, groups, long range, and extra long range), and all my pistols performed decent across the board.

So I truly think I can handle all on the list just as well as any other depending on day.

Which makes it tough. I just wish I could grab one gun and be like... "ah yes, this firearm was meant for me... it's destiny!!"
If you can find one that you can try, I've heard really good things about the Rex Zero 1.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:06 pm

No love for Springfield? I'm partial but I absolutely love my XD series.

Other than that I'd agree with Stercutus with his list.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:30 pm

The Sig P320 really has two big things going for it that are making me consider switching over to it:

1. It was chosen as the new sidearm for multiple branches of the U.S. Military. That's going to be huge as far as parts availability and pricing goes a few years down the line. Not to mention all the police departments that are switching over to it as well now.

2. It's the only truly modular handgun on the market right now. For the time being that means you can buy one gun with two frames and have a full size and a concealed carry piece. In the future it means a lot of potential opportunities for customization and repair.

Granted, they're both big "ifs" but at the very least the P320 will definitely be around for a while.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:57 pm

Dooms wrote:The Sig P320 really has two big things going for it that are making me consider switching over to it:

1. It was chosen as the new sidearm for multiple branches of the U.S. Military. That's going to be huge as far as parts availability and pricing goes a few years down the line. Not to mention all the police departments that are switching over to it as well now.

2. It's the only truly modular handgun on the market right now. For the time being that means you can buy one gun with two frames and have a full size and a concealed carry piece. In the future it means a lot of potential opportunities for customization and repair.

Granted, they're both big "ifs" but at the very least the P320 will definitely be around for a while.
This^^^but for my G19. My Glock will function. That is what I need out of it.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:48 am

I really wanna downsize my random collection of budget 9mm handguns to one platform. I have a mix of striker and hammer fired guns and I shoot them all pretty well (or poorly, depending on the day). So all things equal, I can handle most platforms.
Why? if you have the guns, why not keep them?
They are good for teaching new shooters, and to help friends find a gun to fit their hands.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:32 pm

Halfapint wrote:No love for Springfield? I'm partial but I absolutely love my XD series.

Other than that I'd agree with Stercutus with his list.
I thought about them... but I LOVEEEE my XD45. I also had an XDm in 9mm. For whatever reason, I like the platform for my 45 needs, but not the 9mm.

I was really looking at the mod 2 XD, but it just doesn't do it for me. Dont know why, but shooting the 45 feels so much better.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:36 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sig
Walther

If you can find one that you can try, I've heard really good things about the Rex Zero 1.
I wanted to like the Rex, but the few I handled, I was not impressed for the price. If they were $400, I'd be all over them. But that's just my opinion from holding some early imported models.
Dooms wrote:The Sig P320 really has two big things going for it that are making me consider switching over to it:

I have a SIG 250. I really like the modular features and it is scary accurate when I'm having a good trigger day, maybe my most accurate gun when that DAO trigger feels good.

So that's a benefit with mags and lowers.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:39 pm

emclean wrote:
Why? if you have the guns, why not keep them?
They are good for teaching new shooters, and to help friends find a gun to fit their hands.
a lot of my pistols are budget guns and I don't have the money (just graduated) to get a cool platform from scratch.

Plus, with my shooting I've been finding that I'm not consistent because I'm always playing with different platforms. I'd like to master one platform for competition and fun to make parts and mags and training and gear easier.

I dunno... I may keep my stuff, I may trade, I may sell... I'm just testing the waters

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:59 pm

The used gun market is very soft these days. I was selling pre-election for double what it is going for now.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:54 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote: Except for Glock, sadly. I need more time shooting them, the angle throws me off. Maybe one day.
Grip Force Adapter - I have a Gen 3 and Gen 4 one I could send you if you like - PM if interested
Man is a beast of prey

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:06 pm

All are good guns. I have owned a Walther and currently own a CZ. They were and are accurate and reliable but if you needed a part or a magazine it was pricey. Usually you will have to order the magazines from the company and they aren't cheap. I literally couldn't find a magazine for sale in any shop in the Nashville Area for my CZ P07 (at least it came with two 15 rounders), and I couldn't find a 2nd magazine anywhere (that wasn't over 100 bucks including on Walther's North American website) for the PK380, a 7 round single stack. It seemed like Walther didn't care if you wanted another magazine. I haven't owned an H&K but I hear similar stories.
Just my 2 cents
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:32 pm

The Twizzler wrote:All are good guns. I have owned a Walther and currently own a CZ. They were and are accurate and reliable but if you needed a part or a magazine it was pricey. Usually you will have to order the magazines from the company and they aren't cheap. I literally couldn't find a magazine for sale in any shop in the Nashville Area for my CZ P07 (at least it came with two 15 rounders), and I couldn't find a 2nd magazine anywhere (that wasn't over 100 bucks including on Walther's North American website) for the PK380, a 7 round single stack. It seemed like Walther didn't care if you wanted another magazine. I haven't owned an H&K but I hear similar stories.
Just my 2 cents
Just an FYI, the P07 will take cz75 mags, but not the other way around. The P07/P10c mags are just a millimeter wider, so they wont fit into a classic cz75. But the cz75 are reported to function even with a minute amount of wiggle.

Good for the range at least

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:19 pm

I have the P-07 Duty CZ (the first year of production)and I think the mags for that may be different. It says in the manual and on the magazines that they hold 16 rounds. After much sweating, pushing, and cursing I can safely say they do not. They hold 15 rounds and not one more. :vmad:
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

TheContractor

Post by TheContractor » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:02 pm

I know this me reviving an otherwise dead thread, but I am going to do it anyway.

I spent almost 10 years as a firearms instructor at a private contracting firm and for area law enforcement agencies. I then spent another 5 years as an instructor for my current department. I have run people through mid-level and advanced courses with everything on the market and then some old or rare guns I never expected to see. Yes some guns have a better build quality than others, some manual of arms are easier or simpler than other to become proficient with, and some guns win popularity / marketing contests and others don't. But in the real world the gun you choose is a matter of preference and personal priority. The two primary factors in selecting a sidearm are a track record of reliability and it fits your hand comfortably (grip ergos, trigger reach, grip length, control reach, etc.). Pretty much any handgun from a major maker is going to go bang when you need it to go bang. Internet reviews, torture tests, and gauntlets are for entertainment purposes only and do not actually test a guns durability or define how it will function in any given scenario.

Like the OP I have a stockpile of every new and amazing wonder nine that has come out in the decade or more. And like the OP I decided to reduce and consolidate. The money earned from the clearing out of gun safes has gone into purchasing ammo and spending more time at the range. Because while many people think their focus should be on gun selection and acquisition, it should really be on training and trigger time. I have a buddy who is extremely proficient with a handgun. He shoots every single week and has mastered his sidearm, which is very well used Ruger P95DC. He can put 5 rounds in the head of a silhouette target at 50 yards and 15 rounds into a single ragged hole. Not because the Ruger P95DC is that incredible of a gun, but because he knows it intimately and practices with it constantly.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:27 pm

TheContractor wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:02 pm
Because while many people think their focus should be on gun selection and acquisition, it should really be on training and trigger time. I have a buddy who is extremely proficient with a handgun. He shoots every single week and has mastered his sidearm, which is very well used Ruger P95DC. He can put 5 rounds in the head of a silhouette target at 50 yards and 15 rounds into a single ragged hole. Not because the Ruger P95DC is that incredible of a gun, but because he knows it intimately and practices with it constantly.

Well said!

Your point is very much on target(no pun intended).

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:43 pm

:awesome: Oh and I voted cz
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

TheContractor

Post by TheContractor » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:29 pm

If you check the evidence and property rooms of police department's across the USA, you will find 10 Hi Points, 7 Jennings/Brycos/Lorcin, and 5 Sigmas for every Glock you see. They may not be great guns, but they got the job for whoever was wielding them. Well, sort of anyway. 8-)

Return to “Handguns”