Glock 19 Gen 4 vs Gen 5?

Post by moab » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:08 pm

Trying to decide between the two.

1) I want to upgrade the following parts:

Glock Slide Stop Lever: Extended Version
Glock Magazine Release: Extended Version
Trigger Connector Bar: Ghost Rocket 3.5 lb
Glock Night Sights: Three Dot Version

2) I'm also concerned about availability of parts. Concerning the above. And just in general. Which one has the most parts available for it - for cheap. MEaning I would assume the gen 5 aftermarket parts are probably more expensive right? Will older parts work on the Gen 4 but not on the Gen 5?

3) I have smaller hands. And both have the same pistol grip backend that can be made smaller. Although I would imagine the finger grooves on the gen 4 may make it feel wider.

4) Price? Doesn't seem like that much to me. Around $500 to $550? Am I correct on that?

5) What else am I not considering that I should?

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

woodsghost

Re: Glock 19 Gen 4 vs Gen 5?

Post by woodsghost » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:57 pm

http://www.recoilweb.com/inside-the-glo ... 29141.html

As I understand, the gen5 has a more accurate barrel, and my experience with a gen5 has been very positive, accuracy wise. Also, the Gen 5 has a flared magwell. From the article above it seems the gen5 series was built with institutions in mind, like police and military armorers. It sounds like they will have a harder time accepting aftermarket parts. It makes sense if you need to stock parts for a stable of G19s and G17s, as they are largly (completely?) interchangeable.

From your needs listed above, I think gen4 is what you want. For me, I'm not likely to ever change anything but sights, so a gen5 is about all I can ask for.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:36 am

I think the question should be, do you like Glock finger grooves or do you dislike Glock finger grooves? I have skinny fingers and like the grooves, so I am not interested in the Gen 5 pistols at all.

Editing to add two points about your planned upgrades:

1. I would encourage you to take a look at Truglo TFX Pro's (http://www.truglo.com/firearms-handgun/ ... sights.asp). IMHO they have everything in one tough and discreet package. I like them much more than the Ameriglo Spartans.
2. What will the new connector do? Is that really necessary?

Thanks!
Shiney side out... Shiney side out...

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:39 pm

Because I'm THAT guy..... Why not look into the Gen3? They have probably the LARGEST after market support of any pistol (minus AR pistols). I don't have small hands, but the Gen3's seem to feel small in my hands. Swapping of parts and triggers, sights and whatever is easy. Heck you can even buy the polymer80 builds (I love the grips on the V2) and spend as little or as much as you want.

Only other Glock I have is a Gen4 G40. But that's Glockzilla, and I wouldn't compare it to a G19/17 in any way.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:27 pm

What Halfapint said.

If I want a better shooting, easier to operate gun I use one that is so. I have never much got in to the concept of buying a new gun only to spend 25-50% of the gun price to make it better. I'd rather spend more up front. I do find the GEN III to be fully capable of doing whatever needs to be done.
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

Return to “Handguns”