Caliber Consolidation vs Caliber Diversity

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

RonnyRonin

Re: Caliber Consolidation vs Caliber Diversity

Post by RonnyRonin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:41 am

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
I never thought of it that way- thank you!
I shudder to think how many of my own firmly held beliefs were cemented by lurking on hundreds of forums over the years...
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:17 pm

I make my own calibers to make my ammo choices exclusive only to me and market and political changes do not affect me... it's fool-proof.

My .55-06 is a real good shooter, as well as my .45 Special. Right now I'm working on a 5.56x54R... it's like Trump and Putin had a bullet baby for my gas-impingement AK747
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:48 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:I make my own calibers to make my ammo choices exclusive only to me and market and political changes do not affect me... it's fool-proof.

My .55-06 is a real good shooter, as well as my .45 Special. Right now I'm working on a 5.56x54R... it's like Trump and Putin had a bullet baby for my gas-impingement AK747
Can that 5.56x54R be pintle mounted on a tactical wheelbarrow to provide security while it's used to move 6 cases of peanut butter that's intended to feed a pair of de-barked guard Chihuahuas?
Can the 55.06 penetrate a double layer of rifle plates duct taped to the back of a man driving a tactical golf cart in blackout conditions at a range of 600 meters while he's slaloming through the parking lot of America's biggest retail mall?

:clownshoes:
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:40 pm

LowKey wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:I make my own calibers to make my ammo choices exclusive only to me and market and political changes do not affect me... it's fool-proof.

Can that 5.56x54R be pintle mounted on a tactical wheelbarrow to provide security while it's used to move 6 cases of peanut butter that's intended to feed a pair of de-barked guard Chihuahuas?
Can the 55.06 penetrate a double layer of rifle plates duct taped to the back of a man driving a tactical golf cart in blackout conditions at a range of 600 meters while he's slaloming through the parking lot of America's biggest retail mall?

Indeed. And then some. I like to call the .55-06 a "reverse-magnum" cartridge, since the .55 inch boolit is bigger than the .47 inch case diameter. It's basically so subsonic that it goes backwards.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

beachbum69
Favorite Zombie Movies: World War Z, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by beachbum69 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:17 pm

A few thoughts.

Out of practicality (and due to limited financial resources) I tend to stick to a few calibers. I regularly carry a Glock 19 and/or Glock 26, and my wife carries a S&W M&P Shield 9mm. She also has a Bersa Thunder .380 and I have a NAA Guardian .32. The Guardian in particular is a suit-and-tie handgun for deeper concealment or as a last-ditch backup. We have available a .22LR Sig Mosquito also.

I stock deeper for the 9mms than for any other caliber, for obvious reasons - those are our primary concealed carry pieces and the ones we practice with often. I keep a pretty heavy load of .22LR around for the Mosquito also - it's cheap to shoot and I could hunt small game with it in a pinch. The other calibers I will pick up extra ammo for once in a while, as they are carried a lot and shot infrequently.

That all said, I do have ammo for firearms that I do not possess. Sometimes it's just a matter of a handgun that I traded off that I kept the ammo for. Also, recently a friend that was moving gave me several boxes of 10mm Auto; he no longer owned the handgun that used it, and he wasn't about to haul ammo across the country that he couldn't use.

I put those oddball calibers into their own separate ammo can and keep them - I mean, you never know. Will I go out of my way to purposefully buy ammunition for a firearm I don't own? Generally speaking, no - I can't afford it. Still, if I come across a smoking deal on 12 gauge buckshot, slugs, or hunting ammo I would likely pick up a few boxes, as 12 gauge is far and away the most popular shotgun gauge, and I expect to eventually own one. If I came across the same deal on 28 gauge or .240 Weatherby Magnum rifle ammo I would pass - they're far more obscure calibers/gauges that I would likely never use.

I suppose it's a matter of balance - picking up ammunition for extremely common calibers/gauges makes a certain amount of sense assuming that the price is right (and assuming that you're already well-stocked on your current calibers/gauges), but I would eschew less popular calibers or gauges.

-----
Kurt
Speed is an illusion created by flawless technique.

LowKey
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead

Post by LowKey » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:17 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
LowKey wrote:

Indeed. And then some. I like to call the .55-06 a "reverse-magnum" cartridge, since the .55 inch boolit is bigger than the .47 inch case diameter. It's basically so subsonic that it goes backwards.
Awesome. Nobody else shoots those so you should be good to go during another ammo shortage as no one else will be buying it from your LGS. You're set, how clever of you! :clap:
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:23 pm

I personally am your standard mall ninja hoarding .223 and 9mm, but time and time again I've read into the theory of caliber diversity in prepping for both shortages and disasters. Years back some one on here posted a Front Site article recommending that preppers should carry a pouch of no less than 12 different calibers and gauges...Six of each, except ten .22. That's taking the concept so far that the Mars rover just drove by.

Realistically, stack your main calibers deep...But if you do want to prepare around your environment, it'll be localized. As some one said earlier, their local area is full of hunting rifles, shotguns, and revolvers. I'm in Northern Illinois where everyone hunts with bows and their handguns are likely modern and purchased for defense within the last decade. Thus, I feel comfortable storing 9mm. If I wanted to really adapt to my endemic region, I'd keep around a .357 (Two calibers, no parts swapping) and a .40 (Can often be converted to 9mm to backup my primary, or possibly IS my primary) because those calibers covers most of what the average person will be told to buy by a gun store counter. This does leave out the few and the proud 1911 fans, but I'm only human and going to wager I won't run into many of those in the wild. Rifle? .223. This is not a hunting state, while store shelves have the full array you won't find many in cabinets or up for trade. Long range shooters are so rare around here I'm not confident looking for .308.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Sat May 13, 2017 12:43 am

I was wondering what happened to this thread. I think about this one a lot.

I have been an HK/45 acp fan for about 15 years. Their reliability is staggering.

Before HKs, I had Glocks. It was not a happy relationship. About two years ago I fell in love with a FDE G-19. I got one and liked it. But my wife liked it more -sayonara new friend.

I often wonder if it would be good to have another G19 or maybe a G26, I mean, for caliber diversity, of course...
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat May 13, 2017 8:14 am

Two big take aways from the last panic that went on too long.

The first was that for a brief period of time there was nothing. Then there was the expensive stuff, and then progressively cheaper. So if artificial political climate shortages are your worry then diversification is your way to go.

The other big take away I had from the last shortage is I stopped buying .22lr. I doubt I will go back to it either. It got stupid expensive because stupid people were stock piling it for no reason at all. I blame that numbnutz at Survival Blog for claiming it would be the next bitcoin or something. I will probably keep shooting subsonics but I could always find subs at around regular price.

When I realized that 9mm was only 33% more than .22lr was the last straw. I can shoot 9mm in pistol and rifle and get better practice than .22lr every day of the week. It is so much more useful. the only thing .22 does great is be cheap. And if it is not cheap....

If zombies are your thing than several crates of 5.56 and a few rifles will get you covered. Logistically it makes tons of more sense than a diversified set of guns.

Dabster wrote:
I often wonder if it would be good to have another G19 or maybe a G26, I mean, for caliber diversity, of course...

The great thing about Glocks is that you can change the caliber quite easily.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Post by Mad Mike » Sat May 13, 2017 10:40 am

Stercutus wrote:Two big take aways from the last panic that went on too long.

The first was that for a brief period of time there was nothing. Then there was the expensive stuff, and then progressively cheaper. So if artificial political climate shortages are your worry then diversification is your way to go.

The other big take away I had from the last shortage is I stopped buying .22lr. I doubt I will go back to it either. It got stupid expensive because stupid people were stock piling it for no reason at all. I blame that numbnutz at Survival Blog for claiming it would be the next bitcoin or something. I will probably keep shooting subsonics but I could always find subs at around regular price.

When I realized that 9mm was only 33% more than .22lr was the last straw. I can shoot 9mm in pistol and rifle and get better practice than .22lr every day of the week. It is so much more useful. the only thing .22 does great is be cheap. And if it is not cheap....

If zombies are your thing than several crates of 5.56 and a few rifles will get you covered. Logistically it makes tons of more sense than a diversified set of guns.

Dabster wrote:

The great thing about Glocks is that you can change the caliber quite easily.

Unless you have had a diversified set of guns for twenty years, or more. :awesome:

delarey

Post by delarey » Sat May 13, 2017 10:56 am

You have to consolidate if you are on a budget or laws restricts you to having a limited number of firearms. I wish someone made a 410/ 45lc rifle and revolvers when I still like ved in S. Africa. I had a Stevens 410/ 22lr and it was registered as one firearm, thus allowed me to purchase 410 and 22 ammo on the same license. A huge bonus! If that 410 barrel was rifled and marked for 45lc as well, I'd have been in heaven. We are there yet here in the US, but we are only a single election or mass shooting away from it at any given moment.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

delarey

Post by delarey » Sat May 13, 2017 10:57 am

Ugh autocorrect :(

Mad Mike

Post by Mad Mike » Sat May 13, 2017 11:01 am

delarey wrote:You have to consolidate if you are on a budget or laws restricts you to having a limited number of firearms. I wish someone made a 410/ 45lc rifle and revolvers when I still like ved in S. Africa. I had a Stevens 410/ 22lr and it was registered as one firearm, thus allowed me to purchase 410 and 22 ammo on the same license. A huge bonus! If that 410 barrel was rifled and marked for 45lc as well, I'd have been in heaven. We are there yet here in the US, but we are only a single election or mass shooting away from it at any given moment.

True enough, but neither of those conditions apply to me. I bought a wide variety of "toys" back when I had money to burn. Some of the more obscure calibers, such as 32-40, I only have a couple of boxes of ammo. For the 308 & 223 - that's a whole different story! :clownshoes:

delarey

Post by delarey » Sat May 13, 2017 11:09 am

Mike, absolutely! If you already have them and can afford it, then why not! 32-40 now there's one you don't see every day! Haha

LowKey
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead

Post by LowKey » Sat May 13, 2017 11:31 am

delarey wrote:You have to consolidate if you are on a budget or laws restricts you to having a limited number of firearms.
This is one of the reasons I'm so fond of the AR-15 and AR-10. The lower is the only part that counts as a firearm, and simply by swapping uppers you can move into a new caliber. Or build one as a "pistol".

I'm starting to develop an interest in a 6.5mm AR to go along with my 300BLK and 5.56.
It's an addiction. :lol:

Have you ever toyed with NFA items?
Last edited by LowKey on Sat May 13, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

delarey

Post by delarey » Sat May 13, 2017 11:35 am

I've played with form1 suppressors, but haven't taken the dive into sbr or sbs yet. If it counts, growing up on the farm in SA, we had R1(FAL), R4(Galil - full auto) and Sanna (Mac10 also full auto). But that was a very log time ago.

FOG3

Post by FOG3 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:50 pm

So I think I'll weigh in with my two cents.

IMNSHO the OPs question is completely backwards of the actual questions. What you should actually be asking yourself is:

1) Do I have guns which fulfill my potential, but statistically highly unlikely, needs?
2) Are these guns organized into some kind of coherent usable system to fulfill those needs?
3) Am I practicing enough of with these platforms to "git gud"?
4) Do I have sufficient ammo stores for these platforms?

Caliber, magazine, etc. interchangeability is a potential factor in terms of having a coherent usable system. So for instance if you have an AR carbine and an AR pistol in 5.56NATO ammo, mags, etc. translate between two systems with potential different roles.

As was demonstrated in recent years if everyone is using a caliber, it will not stay on shelves when everyone rushes to engage in panic buying. By the same token a rifle chambered in 8mm Lebel isn't suddenly going to have factories churning out ammo, when there's been no market demand for decades. Generally speaking you want something that's a sufficiently common cartridge that it's well supported by various ammo and bullet manufacturers, and doesn't suffer severe mark up associated with being an obscure unpopular round.

That said cartridges should be selected so as to be role appropriate. You may think 45 Colt is awesome but if you're stocking up hot 45 Colt and your idea of a pocket gun is a 45 Colt Derringer you can't hit anything with but you carry because you love 45 Colt, you're doing it wrong. Similarly if you're stocking 380 ACP for your Ruger LCP pocket pistol, which is a backup to a larger handgun in your system, you probably don't need be concerned about keeping thousands of rounds of 380 ACP Liberty Civil Defense or Lehigh Extreme Penetrators on hand for it.

The other thing is if your happy with your system and have sufficient ammo depth that your range schedule doesn't raise the specter of running low or out, you might want to consider whether the money you'd spend on another case of ammo online might not be better spent on a class or otherwise used for training with your system instead stockpiling thousands upon thousands of rounds without a clear plan beyond squirreling away ammo. Additionally if you are stockpiling thousands of rounds of ammo, and have not given serious consideration to how the heck you're going to quickly load magazines you've probably not really thought this through.

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:46 pm

SouthernZombie wrote:Hi all,

I'm constantly torn between consolidating calibers or having a diversity of guns. On the one hand, having only a few calibers allows for stockpiling of ammunition and you know you can use it even if one gun breaks or is lost. You can also outfit family and friends with firearms that pull from the same pool of ammo, so you never have to worry about one gun just becoming a nice showpiece.

On the other hand, a diversity of caliber guns allows you to shoot whatever you can find when there's virtually nothing left. I can't imagine anything worse than having a 9mm handgun and only finding .45 or vice versa! :gonk:

At the moment I've gone with consolidating down to 9mm and .22. The 9mm gives me a respectable caliber while allowing me to carry a lot relative to the weight and cost of other calibers. Plus it lets me practice on the cheap. I have two handguns in 9mm and two in .22. The .22 firearms serve the same function, my wife also prefers them, and I also have a .22 rifle. So there's a lot of compatiblity. I can shoot squirrels and rabbits with the .22 and its much quieter. And then I have the 9mm for when life and limb is on the line.

For each caliber I have a semi and a revolver. Yes, I'm one of the crazies with a 9mm revolver. Suffice to say, I have a lot of moonclips.

Do you guys consider caliber consolidation? Am I crazy to be down to these two calibers for handguns? (granted, I have some shotguns and rifles, but this is the handgun thread.)
My pistol calibers are .22lr, 9mm and 10mm. I've looked into everything from .22lr to .500 S&W magnum, and those three are the ones that made the most sense.

Shotgun is 12 gauge.

Rifles are .22 lr, 9mm, 10mm and .308 Winchester. If I win the lottery, I may look into .338 Lapua Magnum via Tracking Point XS-1... but that's a long way off.

Point is to be able to hit something from one yard to one mile away, if needed. 10mm is a good defensive round against pretty much anything (my pistol of choice is a Glock model 40 MOS). .308 Winchester should be enough to take down anything as a battle rifle / designated marksman rifle.

I specifically avoided .223 Remington / 5.56mm NATO because, as a civilian, I don't intend to enter war zones.

I hope that helps!
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

FOG3

Post by FOG3 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:15 am

Adding some additional structure to what I was talking about above if we're in defensive terms your options can be characterized as:

True Pocket Pistols/BUG
These are guns with a profile roughly 5" long and slightly over 3" tall. The popular example of this currently seems to be the Ruger LCP II, with the classic option being a derringer.

Pistols in this class have tended to not be well regarded as being able to actually get the job done, but with the rise of Liberty Civil Defense, Lehigh Extreme Penetrators, etc. in 380 ACP and the LCP II being considered more controllable than what preceded it, that may be changing.

EDC Gun
This is the gun of reasonable size and caliber you're willing to commit always having on you usually IWB or with a large pocket holster. The profile on these is around 6" long by around 5" tall. The current popular example of this is the S&W Shield in 9mm, with the classic option being a S&W snub-nose J frame in 38 Special.

This is enough gun to statistically resolve most force on force encounters. It's controllable with sufficiently capable ammo in sufficient quantity to statistically resolve most force on force encounters without a magazine change.

Glock 19/23
This category was in many respects created by the Glock 19 & 23. Thanks to improvements introduced by Glock you could have the capacity of a Wonder 9 in a more compact gun, that weighed less loaded than Wonder 9s did unloaded, and thanks to improvements in the rifling Glock used suffered negligible velocity loss versus Wonder 9s.

People willing to put up with more will conceal carry these often with two spare mags in the fashion of the old shoulder rigs. You're talking about something like Miami-Dade for an example of people tapping out and reloading to reach the 2nd spare mag in a force-on-force encounter.

In the time since the Glock 19 & 23 hit there are of course many other options in this category. A Glock 23 does have the advantage of being able to shoot 9mm with a conversion barrel, allowing you to use cheap 9mm practice ammo. Additionally something like an Advantage Arms slide conversion can allow you to practice with 22LR.

I'm not going to touch on full size pistols as people tend to consider them too large to concealed carry, and the equipment that matters during a force-on-force encounter is the stuff you actually have on you.

Shotguns
The main this to advertise them in defensive use is they're cheap, and in principle should work. 12 Gauge is the most popular but there's a solid argument to be made for 20 Gauge with something like #3 Buckshot.

Trunk/Truck guns
These are firearms that are larger than a conventional pistol which you may choose to carry in vehicle and thus would actually have on you. There's a variety of positions on options with these, but having measures in place to mitigate theft are important if you choose to do this.

Mad Mike

Post by Mad Mike » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:26 am

Neptune Glory wrote:

I'm constantly torn between consolidating calibers or having a diversity of guns. On the one hand, having only a few calibers allows for stockpiling of ammunition and you know you can use it even if one gun breaks or is lost. You can also outfit family and friends with firearms that pull from the same pool of ammo, so you never have to worry about one gun just becoming a nice showpiece.

On the other hand, a diversity of caliber guns allows you to shoot whatever you can find when there's virtually nothing left. I can't imagine anything worse than having a 9mm handgun and only finding .45 or vice versa! :gonk:

At the moment I've gone with consolidating down to 9mm and .22. The 9mm gives me a respectable caliber while allowing me to carry a lot relative to the weight and cost of other calibers. Plus it lets me practice on the cheap. I have two handguns in 9mm and two in .22. The .22 firearms serve the same function, my wife also prefers them, and I also have a .22 rifle. So there's a lot of compatiblity. I can shoot squirrels and rabbits with the .22 and its much quieter. And then I have the 9mm for when life and limb is on the line.

For each caliber I have a semi and a revolver. Yes, I'm one of the crazies with a 9mm revolver. Suffice to say, I have a lot of moonclips.

Do you guys consider caliber consolidation? Am I crazy to be down to these two calibers for handguns? (granted, I have some shotguns and rifles, but this is the handgun thread.)
My pistol calibers are .22lr, 9mm and 10mm. I've looked into everything from .22lr to .500 S&W magnum, and those three are the ones that made the most sense.

Shotgun is 12 gauge.

Rifles are .22 lr, 9mm, 10mm and .308 Winchester. If I win the lottery, I may look into .338 Lapua Magnum via Tracking Point XS-1... but that's a long way off.

Point is to be able to hit something from one yard to one mile away, if needed. 10mm is a good defensive round against pretty much anything (my pistol of choice is a Glock model 40 MOS). .308 Winchester should be enough to take down anything as a battle rifle / designated marksman rifle.

I specifically avoided .223 Remington / 5.56mm NATO because, as a civilian, I don't intend to enter war zones.

I hope that helps!

If you expect to hit something a mile away you better be a world class sniper! :roll:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:14 am

Mad Mike wrote:
Neptune Glory wrote:

Shotgun is 12 gauge.

I hope that helps!

If you expect to hit something a mile away you better be a world class sniper! :roll:
Precious few people are able to hit something that far out.

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:08 pm

FOG3 wrote:What you should actually be asking yourself is:

1) Do I have guns which fulfill my potential, but statistically highly unlikely, needs?
2) Are these guns organized into some kind of coherent usable system to fulfill those needs?
I can get on board with this thinking. If you accomplish the above with 6 calibers, 2 calibers, or any other number, if you meet the criteria then you are doing it right.
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:32 pm

00dlez wrote:

I can get on board with this thinking. If you accomplish the above with 6 calibers, 2 calibers, or any other number, if you meet the criteria then you are doing it right.
I agree.

Honestly I would suggest concentration on item 3 and then on 4. If you sit down and think about it, a single caliber in the hands of a proficient user will be useful in many diverse situations. Others may be better but "good enough" frequently gets the job done. Once you achieve such proficiency, you may find that only 1 or 2 calibers are the only ones you have to address in item 4.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:14 pm

raptor wrote:
00dlez wrote:

I agree.

Honestly I would suggest concentration on item 3 and then on 4. If you sit down and think about it, a single caliber in the hands of a proficient user will be useful in many diverse situations. Others may be better but "good enough" frequently gets the job done. Once you achieve such proficiency, you may find that only 1 or 2 calibers are the only ones you have to address in item 4.
"Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!" Clint Smith
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

Return to “Handguns”