Do You Trade in Your Guns?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
CG
* * * *
Posts: 863
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Middle of a Haboob, Texas

Do You Trade in Your Guns?

Post by CG » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:45 pm

So, I have a Sccy CPX-2. A lovely bright orange.

And I want a LCP Custom (planning to look at them this weekend).

I like the Sccy, for a 9mm, it's just too heavy for me to haul around in my purse all the time.

Should I trade it in or keep it?

ETA: I just realized that I made money this week, so I will be able to get the LCP Custom without selling the Sccy, should I so choose.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

User avatar
JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations
Location: Yo Momma's House

Re: Do You Trade in Your Guns?

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:49 pm

I like the SCCY... but that's taking into account for price, since I got it for super cheap ($200 if I recall). Which means if you trade it in, you really won't get much back. Considering that an LCP Pro should be around $250 or so, I wouldn't trade in the SCCY for anything less than $150 towards the trade. Which means you'll gain an LCP, but lose the SCCY and $100.

LCP's are OK, SCCY's are decent. Neither are "best-in-class". It's a tough call.

Honestly, I really like the S&W Bodyguard .380 much more than both. I think it's a good shooter and can be carried in a pocket more conveniently than a cell phone.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

User avatar
CG
* * * *
Posts: 863
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Middle of a Haboob, Texas

Re: Do You Trade in Your Guns?

Post by CG » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:55 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:I like the SCCY... but that's taking into account for price, since I got it for super cheap ($200 if I recall). Which means if you trade it in, you really won't get much back. Considering that an LCP Pro should be around $250 or so, I wouldn't trade in the SCCY for anything less than $150 towards the trade. Which means you'll gain an LCP, but lose the SCCY and $100.

LCP's are OK, SCCY's are decent. Neither are "best-in-class". It's a tough call.

Honestly, I really like the S&W Bodyguard .380 much more than both. I think it's a good shooter and can be carried in a pocket more conveniently than a cell phone.
I can't carry in pockets. Women's jeans just don't really allow for it much. I know I can get a small cellphone-looking holster for the LCP that goes on my belt. I don't think we've looked much at the S&W. How much do they tend to run?
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

User avatar
JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations
Location: Yo Momma's House

Re: Do You Trade in Your Guns?

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:03 pm

CG wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like the SCCY... but that's taking into account for price, since I got it for super cheap ($200 if I recall). Which means if you trade it in, you really won't get much back. Considering that an LCP Pro should be around $250 or so, I wouldn't trade in the SCCY for anything less than $150 towards the trade. Which means you'll gain an LCP, but lose the SCCY and $100.

LCP's are OK, SCCY's are decent. Neither are "best-in-class". It's a tough call.

Honestly, I really like the S&W Bodyguard .380 much more than both. I think it's a good shooter and can be carried in a pocket more conveniently than a cell phone.
I can't carry in pockets. Women's jeans just don't really allow for it much. I know I can get a small cellphone-looking holster for the LCP that goes on my belt. I don't think we've looked much at the S&W. How much do they tend to run?
You might be able to run it in your back pocket with a pouch holster for small errands (wouldn't wanna do that all day) if you aren't wearing tight jeans.

In my area, the bodyguards are about the same to $50 more than the LCP. I've shot both, and I find the Smith is worth a few bucks more. It shoots much softer and has a slightly better trigger. Size, weight, capacity are pretty much the same.

BUTTTT.....I'd get whatever you get a deal on or what's on sale. But if you're just purse carrying (that opens up a can of worms), I would stick with the 9mm SCCY over .380 because the extra size and weight won't matter much. If you're doing a hip holster, the .380 is so much thinner than the SCCY and is a world of difference.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

User avatar
CG
* * * *
Posts: 863
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Middle of a Haboob, Texas

Re: Do You Trade in Your Guns?

Post by CG » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:12 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:You might be able to run it in your back pocket with a pouch holster for small errands (wouldn't wanna do that all day) if you aren't wearing tight jeans.

In my area, the bodyguards are about the same to $50 more than the LCP. I've shot both, and I find the Smith is worth a few bucks more. It shoots much softer and has a slightly better trigger. Size, weight, capacity are pretty much the same.

BUTTTT.....I'd get whatever you get a deal on or what's on sale. But if you're just purse carrying (that opens up a can of worms), I would stick with the 9mm SCCY over .380 because the extra size and weight won't matter much. If you're doing a hip holster, the .380 is so much thinner than the SCCY and is a world of difference.
The extra weight matters because my shoulders hate me. I'd probably be a lot more likely to keep the LCP on a belt pouch than in it, just due to that. We just never found a good way for me to carry the Sccy without it being obvious, especially since my jeans and shorts tend to run tight and I wear tank tops all summer.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

User avatar
JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations
Location: Yo Momma's House

Re: Do You Trade in Your Guns?

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:16 pm

My GF's mom is a tiny petite thing, and uses the "sneaky pete" holster. It's dorky, and not as stealth as they advertise, but it also doesn't scream "gun" and is better than open carry.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

User avatar
CG
* * * *
Posts: 863
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Middle of a Haboob, Texas

Re: Do You Trade in Your Guns?

Post by CG » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:18 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:My GF's mom is a tiny petite thing, and uses the "sneaky pete" holster. It's dorky, and not as stealth as they advertise, but it also doesn't scream "gun" and is better than open carry.
My husband uses that for the Bersa Thunder .380. I don't like having it inside my waistband.

ETA: Nevermind, thinking of the wrong one.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

User avatar
JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations
Location: Yo Momma's House

Re: Do You Trade in Your Guns?

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:22 pm

CG wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:My GF's mom is a tiny petite thing, and uses the "sneaky pete" holster. It's dorky, and not as stealth as they advertise, but it also doesn't scream "gun" and is better than open carry.
My husband uses that for the Bersa Thunder .380. I don't like having it inside my waistband.

ETA: Nevermind, thinking of the wrong one.
If you don't care about style, it isn't bad.

Image
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

User avatar
CG
* * * *
Posts: 863
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Middle of a Haboob, Texas

Re: Do You Trade in Your Guns?

Post by CG » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:22 pm

I was using a Bulldog Nylon Ambi pouch for the LCP. Worked great, just had problems with the trigger on the gun.

https://www.amazon.com/Bulldog-Nylon-Ph ... B002HSQHFK
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

User avatar
CG
* * * *
Posts: 863
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Middle of a Haboob, Texas

Re: Do You Trade in Your Guns?

Post by CG » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:23 pm

CG wrote:I was using a Bulldog Nylon Ambi pouch for the LCP. Worked great, just had problems with the trigger on the gun.

https://www.amazon.com/Bulldog-Nylon-Ph ... B002HSQHFK
It says the S&W Bodyguard .380 as well fits it if you use a flat face plate.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

User avatar
CG
* * * *
Posts: 863
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Middle of a Haboob, Texas

Re: Do You Trade in Your Guns?

Post by CG » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:24 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:If you don't care about style, it isn't bad.

Image
LOL. I think my main problem was that it would stick to my skin unless I tucked my shirt in.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

User avatar
JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations
Location: Yo Momma's House

Re: Do You Trade in Your Guns?

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:25 pm

Or go with this... I literally know no one who has ever tried it.

Image

Probably best to stick with the pouch.

And most of the pocket .380s anymore are almost exactly the same dimensions.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

User avatar
JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations
Location: Yo Momma's House

Re: Do You Trade in Your Guns?

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:27 pm

They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

User avatar
CG
* * * *
Posts: 863
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Middle of a Haboob, Texas

Re: Do You Trade in Your Guns?

Post by CG » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:29 pm

Yeah, I don't see me wearing one of those. It's hard enough to find bras that fight right without them!
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

User avatar
CG
* * * *
Posts: 863
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Middle of a Haboob, Texas

Re: Do You Trade in Your Guns?

Post by CG » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:17 pm

Well, that answers that. I asked hubby about getting a new gun, and he said as long as I trade in the Sccy and get something for it. Then suggested maybe also trading in the Bersa Thunder .380 and getting a Sig P238 instead of a cheaper gun, because he wasn't impressed with the LCP.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

User avatar
yossarian
* * * * *
Posts: 2147
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:09 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Re: Do You Trade in Your Guns?

Post by yossarian » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:26 pm

Don't trade it, sell it outright to another individual. You'll get much more for it. Trading in guns is as bad as trading in cars. The dealer will rake you over the coals to get as much profit as he can on the other side.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

User avatar
CG
* * * *
Posts: 863
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Middle of a Haboob, Texas

Re: Do You Trade in Your Guns?

Post by CG » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:27 pm

yossarian wrote:Don't trade it, sell it outright to another individual. You'll get much more for it. Trading in guns is as bad as trading in cars. The dealer will rake you over the coals to get as much profit as he can on the other side.
Duly noted. Hubby normally handles the negotiations for me, 'cause otherwise I'm lazy and just want to get it over and done with. 8-)
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

User avatar
emclean
* * * * *
Posts: 1580
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:31 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland
Location: NW Indiana

Re: Do You Trade in Your Guns?

Post by emclean » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:30 am

CG wrote:Should I trade it in or keep it?

ETA: I just realized that I made money this week, so I will be able to get the LCP Custom without selling the Sccy, should I so choose.
I have gotten rid of a grand total of 4 guns in my life, so I might have a different take on things than most.

keep it, a gun in the hand all that.
on the practical side, if you were forced into using your weapon in self defense, what ever you use will go with the cops, and you will want something that you are familiar with for back up.

User avatar
CG
* * * *
Posts: 863
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Middle of a Haboob, Texas

Re: Do You Trade in Your Guns?

Post by CG » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:58 am

emclean wrote:I have gotten rid of a grand total of 4 guns in my life, so I might have a different take on things than most.

keep it, a gun in the hand all that.
on the practical side, if you were forced into using your weapon in self defense, what ever you use will go with the cops, and you will want something that you are familiar with for back up.
Hubby has said things will be traded, so things will be traded, especially since I'm not particularly happy with them.

We do still have a few spares, we're not getting rid of all the ones we're not actively carrying. 8-)
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

User avatar
ROCK6
* * *
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:44 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Still working on it!
Location: Georgia

Re: Do You Trade in Your Guns?

Post by ROCK6 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:39 am

My wife feels your pain at times. As to the "trade-in"; I would also recommend selling it. My wife had a Bersa Thunder .380. She liked it, but for the size, she wanted something with a little more "punch". She ended up selling it to her boss (a middle school principal). She now has a Ruger SR9c, Ruger LC9 and Kel-Tech P3AT .380; just like shoes, she needs a few different guns for different occasions and attire :mrgreen:

Now, my wife does own a Flash-Bang. I don't know how that lady shot herself in the eye, but it also happens to those with OWB holsters shooting themselves. I have no dog in the fight; I don't wear a bra; however, my wife does like the way it carries and does on occasion wears it and she's done a lot of practice with it (both dry fire and live fire training). She prefers OWB holsters and with pants/shorts that will accommodate an IWB, she'll go that route, but she's pretty petite and it makes it difficult with her wardrobe, especially in the summer months.

Sure, I would love her to pack that SR9c with a 17 round mag, but that is rarely feasible. I just want her to carry a handgun, be proficient with accessing it and using it. My wife is adamant about not carrying her CCW off-body. She doesn't care to have it a purse or other form of carry where it isn't on your body. She's take a few classes that have proven the fallacy that those carry methods are adequate for self-defense. You should take every measure and pursue every carry method to keep your handgun on your person and attached to you body. One options she's been trying is a small "fanny pack". It's made by Patagonia and she's been practicing with it. It's carried with a waist strap and she often doesn't have a belt when wearing shorts; it's great for summer carry and gets no attention. Yes, we are bring back the '80's fanny packs!

I will say that your holster choice requires practice. My wife has a method of carry when we backpack. She carries her .380 in a bra holster under her arm (much like a shoulder holster). It carries well with a backpack, but it's difficult to access quickly. For all her carry methods, we've done some training and practice so she know the limitations...some holster options are not quick to access. And not only should you practice with your holster method for quick access, safety is a significant concern...as the unfortunate lady found out with her Flash-Bang holster. Carry, practice often starting slowly and working up to scenarios and speed; slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

ROCK6

User avatar
JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations
Location: Yo Momma's House

Re: Do You Trade in Your Guns?

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:51 pm

Just traded my SCCY for an LCP.

Resale on a SCCY is tough, especially if you have to pay a transfer fee at the FFL, so trade in is easier, quicker, and make back about the same amount of cash. In my state, handguns have to be transferred, and if you sell a handgun to your buddy, you gotta go to an FFL and pay about $40 to get it transferred. That kills many private party handgun sales. Plus, they take time. So a $200 sale, turns into a $250 sale... which forces many buyers to just buy new from the store.

Traded it for $150 for a $220 LCP which is what I kinda expected. My LGS gets new SCCY for $210 so they weren't gonna give me my high asking price of $200 for my used gun (which is what I paid for it last year). I didn't "win" on the trade, but a SCCY is also not a Colt so I wasn't expecting to.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

User avatar
CG
* * * *
Posts: 863
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Middle of a Haboob, Texas

Re: Do You Trade in Your Guns?

Post by CG » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:03 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:Traded it for $150 for a $220 LCP which is what I kinda expected. My LGS gets new SCCY for $210 so they weren't gonna give me my high asking price of $200 for my used gun (which is what I paid for it last year). I didn't "win" on the trade, but a SCCY is also not a Colt so I wasn't expecting to.
We cleaned guns that morning, and they flat out asked me if I'd even shot the SCCY (uh, yeah, and I like the way it shoots, it's just too big for me to carry). They gave me $182.75 trade credit, which is more than I expected since they had new ones for $210.

I did *not* get an LCP. I got a Sig P238 instead and love it.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

User avatar
CG
* * * *
Posts: 863
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Middle of a Haboob, Texas

Re: Do You Trade in Your Guns?

Post by CG » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:09 am

Rock6, I need to play around with it in this pouch, which we already have. I always felt it was leaning too far out with the bigger guns, maybe it'll be better with this one.

I'm also looking at this one, but nobody has posted a picture of the back of it yet so I can see how it attaches.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

User avatar
yossarian
* * * * *
Posts: 2147
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:09 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Re: Do You Trade in Your Guns?

Post by yossarian » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:30 pm

CG wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:Traded it for $150 for a $220 LCP which is what I kinda expected. My LGS gets new SCCY for $210 so they weren't gonna give me my high asking price of $200 for my used gun (which is what I paid for it last year). I didn't "win" on the trade, but a SCCY is also not a Colt so I wasn't expecting to.
We cleaned guns that morning, and they flat out asked me if I'd even shot the SCCY (uh, yeah, and I like the way it shoots, it's just too big for me to carry). They gave me $182.75 trade credit, which is more than I expected since they had new ones for $210.

I did *not* get an LCP. I got a Sig P238 instead and love it.

Those are decent folks. Stick with them. $100 would have been a fair offer. Unless they try to sell yours as new, then they are A-holes and you should never buy from them again.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Post Reply

Return to “Handguns”