Looking for a new .380 pocket pistol.

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

priell3

Re: Looking for a new .380 pocket pistol.

Post by priell3 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:23 pm

I have a Gen 1 Ruger LCP. I'm pretty good with it out to 25 yards even though I bought it for bad breath range.

Nice and light and easy to carry either in a Fobus paddle holster or a pocket holster. It is not my EDC but when the situation calls for discrete concealment the LCP is perfect.
MikeP

CG

Post by CG » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:55 am

I popped into this thread because I'm always looking for something better than what I have (aren't we all?).

I tried a Glock 42, but it wasn't a good fit for me. My husband's grouping was great with it, but mine was crap, so it wasn't the gun.

Right now I have a SCCY CPX-2 9mm, but it weighs enough that I try to avoid carrying it sometimes.

I used to have an LCP and I loved the size of it and was fairly accurate with it, but hated the long trigger pull. It sounds like if you get a custom, it might not have that issue? :clap:
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

delarey

Post by delarey » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:12 am

The customer. Still has a fairly long pull, but it is much better. If anything, the only complaint I have, is the sights! They are great to shoot with, but they snag when drawing from a pocket. The LCP2 has a Glock style trigger, so a very short pull. Might be something to look at. For deep concealment at a reasonable price, it's going to be hard to beat the lcp...Just clean that lint trap religiously [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

CG

Post by CG » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:27 am

delarey wrote:The customer. Still has a fairly long pull, but it is much better. If anything, the only complaint I have, is the sights! They are great to shoot with, but they snag when drawing from a pocket. The LCP2 has a Glock style trigger, so a very short pull. Might be something to look at. For deep concealment at a reasonable price, it's going to be hard to beat the lcp...Just clean that lint trap religiously [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Pulling from a pocket won't be an issue for me. Dang women's pants without useful pockets! Mine stays in my purse.

Will look at the LCP2.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

Burncycle

Post by Burncycle » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:19 am

I carry IWB, 3-4 o'clockish so this may not apply to you. I tried jeans pocket carry once and trying to draw while seated in a car is basically a non-starter for me. Maybe my pants are too tight :awesome: IWB still sucks while seated, but I also like using my pockets for all the other crap I carry.

I used to be a 9mm or bust person (no excuse, don't be lazy, etc etc) but over time I find myself drifting more and more towards 380 for EDC.

My evolution went from XD9SC -> G26 -> Shield -> G26 -> P3AT -> PF9 -> G43 -> P3AT or G26

The XD9SC was nice, it felt really comfortable in the hand, but printed pretty easily for me. This is where I learned that for IWB carry (not appendix) it was the grip length NOT the width that really determined how easily I could conceal. So, I rented a G26 and compared them. I shot about the same with slow, deliberate fire but much better with the G26 with rapid controlled fire. Sure, it felt like I was choking out spongebob, but I couldn't argue with the results. That's when I learned that just because it feels good in the hand doesn't necessarily mean it's going to shoot better. I gave up a couple rounds, but was happy with the decision (I never thought I'd be a Glock guy...)

After the G26, I decided to try a thinner gun and bask in the glory that is deep concealment. So I got a shield (which I still think is one of the best bang for the buck firearms). Unfortunately, the shield had a longer grip so despite being thinner, it still poked out more from under my T-Shirt like the XD9SC did. Back to the G26 -- if I'm going to strap on a holster anyway, I might as well have more rounds AND conceal better. I opted for a P3AT instead for those deep concealment / don't feel like strapping on a holster quick runs to check the mailbox type stuff. I run it IWB with a belt clip and MIC holster (minimal kydex trigger protector), a great setup and I don't ever have to expose the trigger to load or make safe.

I had to sell it for financial reasons, but it was still nagging at me that I should at least carry a 9mm, even when I didn't want to put on the holster -- so when it came time to replace it I spent the few extra dollars and got a PF9 instead, with the intent on carrying the same way (belt clip + MIC holster). Ya know, it's weird... it doesn't look all that bigger. It really doesn't. But there was a big difference. It didn't disappear like the little 380 did, it was just on the verge of being almost too heavy / big to carry that way comfortably.

Then the G43 came out -- yay! Thin like a shield, but with a shorter grip like the G26. I got one and do really like it, but it's a little too large / heavy for the belt clip / kydex trigger guard protector setup as I learned after the PF9. I still find myself throwing on the 380 when I don't want to strap on a holster, and a G26 when I do, because for all intents and purposes I conceal the 26 equally well to the 43 IWB, so I can't really think of a reason not to.

I do have an NAA Pug, and I flirted with the idea of carrying it because .22 Mag FMJ will penetrate 16"+ inches even out of the diminutive barrel, making it a viable cartridge... but I thought better of it. I decided that it was enough gun to get me INTO trouble (legally) but maybe not OUT of trouble (in a gunfight) so I decided to stick with the 380 which concealed every bit as easily. Plus, I've got enough trigger time that I'm confident with the 380 out to about 30 feet under time stress, and I can't say the same for the pug. Would be a good backup, or if I literally had no other option of course I'd opt to bring it.
_____

In some ways 380 is neither fish nor fowl -- FMJ grossly overpenetrates, and with a couple of exceptions, most JHP either underpenetrates (if it expands), or doesn't expand consistently. But it's come a long way, and now there are a couple of XTP loadings out there that will consistently penetrate 12"+ yet expand consistently in bare gel and denim tests, so I'm okay with it and consider it the minimum general purpose caliber that I'll carry.

That being said, there are certain (rare) circumstances I'd even go as low as 32 ACP. Case in point:

"My sister won't carry 9mm (even as small as the 43), won't dress around a gun, and is not a gun person. She would carry a P3AT with belt clip + mic holster... except she won't practice with it because she doesn't like the recoil.

Enter the P32 in .32 ACP... hot european FMJ loads (S&B, Fiocchi) penetrate ~13-14" meeting FBI minimums, the recoil is soft enough she'll practice with it, and the gun is small enough she'll carry it. I'll take it, since I can't change her mentality for her and the alternative is nothing at all."

guns4activists

Post by guns4activists » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 am

The Glock 42 has been a popular choice for pocket guns. It has the durability, is relatively accurate, and it has good weight distribution as well. Everyone has their own preference and I know some people are just not a fan of Glocks but there is some more information in the link below as well as some other options you might want to try out

https://www.firearmreview.com/best-380-acp-carry-guns/

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:01 pm

Palmetto has the Kel-tec P-3at with a crimson laser for $199.99 and free ship

https://palmettostatearmory.com/kel-tec ... laser.html

Me want.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:34 pm

FlashDaddy wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:01 pm
Palmetto has the Kel-tec P-3at with a crimson laser for $199.99 and free ship

https://palmettostatearmory.com/kel-tec ... laser.html

Me want.
NRA Family did a favorable review on it: https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2018 ... ars-later/
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:26 pm

Heavy but small...NAA Guardian.
Id like a 32acp version to get even smaller. But its not plastic so bit heavier.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:36 pm

Just wanted to add, I was playing with a Sig 365 the other day and I could not believe how compact it was for 10 rounds of 9mm. It felt smaller than a Glock 43. I’m seriously contemplating getting one even though I can’t carry where I’m living now.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:16 pm

I just spent the day shooting with a friend and after giving my .45 some love and exercise I got out my LCP II to train with and see if I could better the brief dismal performance I gave last time shooting it. The answer was... sorta.

It took 6 mags and steadily closing the distance from 15 yards to about 15 feet before I started hitting paper on an NRA 25 yard slow match target, and even then I was hitting 7" low. I got decent groups, but I think to hit center mass in a shootout I better try headshots. That or get a better laser on this puppy. The red Viridian that came with it was not visible on paper beyond about 10 feet. I didn't sight in the laser today either because I'm finding that even with the pinky rest on the mag and the Hoague grip I put on, this things is a bitch to try and grip properly. It's so light that recoil was punishing my trigger finger as it jumped, even with almost a death grip on it. I also needed to stop and file the nail on my trigger finger because it kept gouging the thumb on my support hand. My final conclusion is that this is a great gun for 10' or less, so carry one in the pipe, forget the laser and just point and bang until the threat is over.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Return to “Handguns”