Talk me out of a Bhp

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jaowens76
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Talk me out of a Bhp

Post by jaowens76 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:04 pm

FEG BHP's have been appearing semi frequently under 300. From what I understand these are built on FN tooling and to FN spec. So... why shouldn't I purchase 1-2.
These do weigh more than a Glock, but a good belt partially mitigates that. Mags are about $25 a piece so while not Glock cheap they beat nearly everything else. With a little work they have an amazing trigger. And lastly designed by the man himself, John Moses Browning.
So talk me out of one of these.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

quazi

Re: Talk me out of a Bhp

Post by quazi » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:21 pm

I've never shot a BHP before, so I can't say much about them. I think you need to buy one and then send it to me, and then after I get some experience with it I'll come up with reasons why they suck and you should let me keep it.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:01 pm

jaowens76 wrote: From what I understand these are built on FN tooling and to FN spec.
Everything that I have seen and read says that they were simply copied (quite well) without license from Browning. The FM Hi-power from Argentina was built on Browning machines though.

Either way, there is no reason not to get one, the FEG, FM, FN or even the Israeli Kareen. If you go with the FEG just make sure you get the PJK-9HP, it is a true clone. There is another FEG gun that looks somewhat similar and is sometimes mistaken by less knowledgeable sellers.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:13 pm

Buy two or three.
These are a good deal and you shouldn't be disappointed.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:04 am

Talk me out of a Bhp
I am unable to do that, it goes against my grain.
buy it , try it, if you don't like the JMB goodness, there is something wrong with you.

jaowens76
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by jaowens76 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:18 pm

Once again ZS does NOT help me save money...

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:07 pm

jaowens76 wrote:FEG BHP's have been appearing semi frequently under 300. From what I understand these are built on FN tooling and to FN spec. So... why shouldn't I purchase 1-2.
These do weigh more than a Glock, but a good belt partially mitigates that. Mags are about $25 a piece so while not Glock cheap they beat nearly everything else. With a little work they have an amazing trigger. And lastly designed by the man himself, John Moses Browning.
So talk me out of one of these.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
OK. I"ll take a stab at this.

I"m not an expert. I'll probably never be a pistol expert. I simply got to fire about 100 rounds out of one recently. Friends got to shoot about the same. It seemed really sensitive to my grip. I expect this is a "BHP thing" rather than a "FEG thing." That is, the gun functioned flawlessly the whole time, but for me to hit properly, I had to watch my grip a bit closely.

Two of my friends shot it, a husband and wife. She shot it really well. He did not. They are both new to pistols, and she listened to my advice on shooting. So it could be the gun's fault, it could be my instructions, and it could be gender differences. But it does seem to me to take a bit of work to really make it shoot well. That is my experience with one.

Also, I loved that gun. The old school feel is so nice compared to the more modern weapons I have messed with recently. Those old, tiny sights are just fun for me!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:19 pm

You guys suck at talking him out of buying that gun...

DON'T DO IT, you're to young, what will your mother say , Think of the children . I heard those guns have lousy accuracy, they shoot backwards The bullets fly in circles, They keyhole still in the barrel. The metal they use to build them is bad. It's made out of mud. I knew a guy who had one, he gave up shooting because of that gun. The plastic is fake. A rock shoots farther. I had one blow up, still in the box, unloaded. They are actually made pink , then covered in cheap paint that breaks off at the first shot in front of every person you ever met. You'll be sorry Use of this product has been known to cause cancer in the state of California.It's better to save your money and and buy a AR 47 FN master blaster Garand pistol Hope this helps :awesome:
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:57 pm

I like them... Don't own any. My one real experience with one came from staring down the barrel at a JHP round, while being held up at my college gas station job. I would prefer to never do that again.
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

minengr

Post by minengr » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:12 pm

I've had an assembled in Portugal and and assembled in Belgium BHP. Both are now gone and I don't really miss them. If I buy another full size double stack 9mm, it's going to be a Glock 17, or 17 MOS. I doubt the extra 4 round will make any difference but I fell out of love for the BHP a few years back. Rather than two FEG's, I'd buy one 17 and call it good.

If you get the FEG's shoot me a PM, I have a couple extra mags lying around somewhere collecting dust.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

southalabama

Post by southalabama » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:14 pm

I've got a two tone browning hi-power.

Good shooting gun.

But

Shtf I'm taking my Glocks out of the safe and the Browning is staying behind.

Doryman

Post by Doryman » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:34 am

I'm selling a .45 and buying a 9mm, and I'm in the same boat. I really want a BHP, largely because it's what I had in the Army (Canada) and I've already got hours upon hours of IA's drilled into me with it. they're pricey up here, though.

I really wish I liked Glocks.
That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

-George Orwell

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:56 pm

Do it.

There are lighter full size 9mm's, there are slightly higher capacity full size 9mm's, but a Browning High Power with Pachmayr grips just feels... right.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:22 pm

jaowens76 wrote:Once again ZS does NOT help me save money...
It's lives we worry about here not money.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Brock Meatstone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Post by Brock Meatstone » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:19 pm

Do it, man. They're the quintessential 9mm handgun; however I have heard there could be some issues with it being able to handle +P ammo and feed hollowpoints reliably due to the design. So y'know, food for thought on that one.

quino171

Post by quino171 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:58 pm

flybynight wrote:You guys suck at talking him out of buying that gun...

DON'T DO IT, you're to young, what will your mother say , Think of the children . I heard those guns have lousy accuracy, they shoot backwards The bullets fly in circles, They keyhole still in the barrel. The metal they use to build them is bad. It's made out of mud. I knew a guy who had one, he gave up shooting because of that gun. The plastic is fake. A rock shoots farther. I had one blow up, still in the box, unloaded. They are actually made pink , then covered in cheap paint that breaks off at the first shot in front of every person you ever met. You'll be sorry Use of this product has been known to cause cancer in the state of California.It's better to save your money and and buy a AR 47 FN master blaster Garand pistol Hope this helps :awesome:
Now that is just plain fun and funny

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

quino171

Post by quino171 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:59 pm

I was wondering the same. I never took the time to shoot a BHP.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Sheriff McClelland

Post by Sheriff McClelland » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:30 pm

I agree with those recommending you fire before you buy to see if you like it .

For me the BHP is one of the most comfortable fitting pistols . It just feels right . I can't address the FEG brand as I don't have much experience with them .
AIM surplus is still bringing in FN's from Israeli and while most show quite a bit of handling , the guy's buying them are reporting they don't show much wear from firing .

If you're used to polymer they are a little heavy being 100% steel but they shoot well and follow up shots are quick to be on target .

These guns were designed and built for tough military service .

FN Israeli import .

Browning / Novak custom
"Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up. "

Return to “Handguns”