Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Accidental Magazine Discharge

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:40 am

So I went Hog Hunting with my buddy last weekend on some of his land. Besides the whirlwind of bad luck that struck us, I lost a magazine from my backup pistol.

So I was carrying my Springfield XD45 with some hot loads as my backup to my rifle. I was carrying it in a plain-jane nylon hip holster. I even looked down at it on the beginning of our trip and noticed the over-sized and beefy mag release was not covered by the holster, and made sure to keep checking that it wouldn't fall out.

Lo and behold, the bumping around in a side by side ATV must have hit the giant button and I lost all my ammo, on a gun that is supposed to be for emergencies.

So basically, if it were the SHTF, I'd be screwed. If a hog came at me and my rifle was slung, I'd be screwed. Plus I'm out like $40.

Anyways, anyone else have problems with big ambi mag releases? Anyone know a good maker of holsters that can cover it to prevent it better from popping out on the trail?
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Stercutus

Re: Accidental Magazine Discharge

Post by Stercutus » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:00 pm

Full Serpa holster that covers the mag release. I use/d one on my duty weapons past and present.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:14 pm

Does the XD have a magazine disconnect safety? I'm just curious as to whether you would have been able to get off one shot.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:43 pm

My one scary magazine experience was with an XD(m?).

I was just trying out a friends new XD, got into my usual stance/grip, fired off a few rounds, and my off hand (I am left handed) activated the mag release with the heel of my hand, worried me enough that I have been leery of ambi releases ever since. As a lefty I've always had to roll my hand and use my fingers, but i don't see a good reason to change.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:28 pm

You could probably order a diffrent mag release button seeing as XD pistols are pretty common and it is probably cheaper then buying another holster.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:44 pm

XDs do not have mag disconnect safeties, so I'd get one shot off with the mag out (I actually run it with the chamber empty while I'm in a vehicle or tree stand, so when I lost it in the ATV, I had no ammo in the gun... I had a spare mag in my pack)

Also, I looked for a non-ambi mag button online and can't find one. As popular as they are, I guess there isn't a market.

Playing with all my other handguns in my apartment, I tried bumping them to see which could pretty easily drop a mag inadvertently. My XD and Walther are prime suspects.

It might be time I get that 10mm Glock...
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:03 pm

Stercutus wrote:Full Serpa holster that covers the mag release. I use/d one on my duty weapons past and present.
All the ones I've been looking at for XDs don't seem to cover the mag release. They do on other guns, but I think the Springfield button is so massive they just ignore it.

I might get a custom leather holster made for it... Or I might just trade it in on a new gun because I'm picky and it really bothers me as the XD was going to move into my trail gun slot over my Ruger Blackhawk

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:35 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
It might be time I get that 10mm Glock...
I applaud this line of reasoning. Any excuse will do.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:19 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote: It might be time I get that 10mm Glock...
..or an EAA Witness.
I'm offloading my 10mm Glocks in favor of the Witness. So is my wife.
We both prefer the ergonomics of the Witness to the Glock.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:54 pm

My back up sidearm while hunting was always a big bore revolver. ( No buttons :D ). More thump when the trigger was pulled than most any auto. But good luck
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:20 pm

Annnnnd this is why I sold my XDs many years ago.
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:19 am

I spend a fair amount of money and time on holsters just so this never happens. Did you try a Bianchi UM84 holster with a flap? Or any flap holster?

My department thigh holster came with a flap. Kept my M4 from scratching my S+W.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:38 am

jor-el wrote:I spend a fair amount of money and time on holsters just so this never happens. Did you try a Bianchi UM84 holster with a flap? Or any flap holster?

My department thigh holster came with a flap. Kept my M4 from scratching my S+W.
That's probably what i'm going to do... especially for brush hunting. Maybe wear some Vietnam fatigues to complete the look...

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:30 am

This is why I ditched the ambi-safety on my 1911. There's just too wide a margin for error.
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:22 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Stercutus wrote:Full Serpa holster that covers the mag release. I use/d one on my duty weapons past and present.
All the ones I've been looking at for XDs don't seem to cover the mag release. They do on other guns, but I think the Springfield button is so massive they just ignore it.

I might get a custom leather holster made for it... Or I might just trade it in on a new gun because I'm picky and it really bothers me as the XD was going to move into my trail gun slot over my Ruger Blackhawk
I also carried a Blackhawk as a trail gun while hunting. Curious why you would switch . In a don't fix what aint broke kind of way.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:21 pm

flybynight wrote: I also carried a Blackhawk as a trail gun while hunting. Curious why you would switch . In a don't fix what aint broke kind of way.
Basically 13 rounds of +P 45 ACP vs 6 rounds of 45LC. Plus the XD was quick and accurate. The BH is Single Action so it's slow.

Now, I'll still use the BH with Buffalo Bore now and again depending, but the XD just has a lot more volume in its firepower.

Unorthodox
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Unorthodox » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:27 am

Do you actually use the RH-side mag release?

If not, is it possible to pop that fucker out, sand it down flush and reinstall it? IE: Delete the ambi mag 'feature'
ImageImage
I load my gatteries in my assault clips for my AR-15 battle rifle. | Avatar By Nyssa

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:47 am

Unorthodox wrote:Do you actually use the RH-side mag release?

If not, is it possible to pop that fucker out, sand it down flush and reinstall it? IE: Delete the ambi mag 'feature'
I've actually considered this^^ I would buy an aftermarket or replacement mag release to modify that way I can always put the original back in after I screw it up.

But life gets in the way and the XD has been on safe duty as I haven't played with it in a while :(

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:35 am

I don't know much about XDs, but this sounds like more of a holster problem. It really does pay to get quality holsters.
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:08 pm

A while back I was shooting with friends and decided to fire my deep conceal /backup piece to keep familiar with it. I neglected to reload it right away. Two days later I realized I'd been carrying it empty for two days.
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:52 pm

A friend of mine used to make mag buttons for XD's.

None of them were single sided though.

It was basically a steel cylindrical rod. He would cut a bunch to rough length with a bandsaw. I think he took his mill and machined them to a finished length. Then he put them in a vise and milled a V shaped (kinda) depression across them.

If I am remembering correctly, the XD had like a lever or see saw type afair that engaged the v groove of the mag release button. As you press the button, the see saw's other end is pulled away from the notch in the magazine and the magazine drops out.

I suppose you could cut off one end...whatever side faces out...

Guns are icky!

zantra
BANNED

Post by zantra » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:07 pm

so grind off the offending, unwanted metal, on either or both sides and beef up the spring in the mag catch. all you have to do is slice off a little disk of nail and put it under the mag spring.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:46 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote: Also, I looked for a non-ambi mag button online and can't find one. As popular as they are, I guess there isn't a market.
If you can't buy one, make one. Purchase a factory replacement button and modify it with a Dremel, grinding the offending button off to it's pretty much flush with the gun. Shouldn't take much work or be very expensive.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

yadayada

Post by yadayada » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:01 am

Try a different holster.

I am sure it is better than nothing, but good luck try to stop a pig with most pistol calibers. Maybe some of the magnum calibers and if you have terrific shot placement, but I have seen them soak up .40 caliber rounds and not slow down.

Return to “Handguns”