Stuck between G43/XDS/Shield 9mm

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Dutch253
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, I am Legend (does this count?), The Walking Dead(?)

Post by Dutch253 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:06 pm

I've recently moved back to WA from abroad and need to purchase a pistol for daily carry. While the G43 seems the most concealable of the 3 the quality of the XDS felt miles ahead of the Glock and Shield. The Shield feels somewhere in the middle. Anybody have one, or better yet, all three?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"But Lord, during the hardest trials of my life, why was there only one set of footprints?"
"Because," said the Lord, "Sandpeople always ride single-file, to hide their numbers."

Honeycutt
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Re: Stuck between G43/XDS/Shield 9mm

Post by Honeycutt » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:43 pm

I personally own an SR45, so take my advice with a grain of salt. My brother is more of a gun nut than me, and he owns the XDS, I have shot it probably 10 times, and it has always been a pleasure to use. I'd like to get one personally.. Can't really speak for the others.
Honeycutt's Bug Out Bag

"Only the dead have seen the end of war"
- Plato

AR / 9mm / Cake / What wire?

2010 2500HD | 1972 Nova

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:44 pm

Next time you handle them, don't feel for quality. Feel for how your finger indexes the trigger, feel for how your hands lock into the frame, and feel for the controls and how you can reach them. You actually can feel for those atributes vs quality.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

Dutch253
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, I am Legend (does this count?), The Walking Dead(?)

Post by Dutch253 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:46 pm

olbaid_dratsab wrote:Next time you handle them, don't feel for quality. Feel for how your finger indexes the trigger, feel for how your hands lock into the frame, and feel for the controls and how you can reach them. You actually can feel for those atributes vs quality.
I'll do that. I'm going back next week for free rental night to try them all out. One thing shooting them won't tell me is how they conceal though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"But Lord, during the hardest trials of my life, why was there only one set of footprints?"
"Because," said the Lord, "Sandpeople always ride single-file, to hide their numbers."

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:11 pm

Manufacturer's websites have the weights. Weight plays a part, atleast for the XDS as its substantially heavier. other than that, smaller ones generally conceal better. I have a Shield and a Glock 43. Glock 43 is my favorite.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:38 pm

Size: Glock is the smallest, shield and xds are pretty much the same. Glock is lightest followed by shield and then the xds. With any decent holster the difference in concealability will be non existent. Weight may minorly effect carry comfort though.

Capacity: Glock is the worst at 6. There are +1 and 2 base pads available from tarren tactical but they are expensive. Shield has 7 or 8 rounders and you can get +1 kits that don't add any length. Xds has 7,8, and 9 rounders available.

Recoil: Shield is most comfortable to shoot, followed by xds, Glock coming in last.

Price: shield is cheapest followed by xds Glock is most expensive.

Sights: glock has u notch plastic sights, shield has metal 3 dot, and xds has metal 3 dot with a fiber front.

Block and smith have armorer's support xds does not.

All are reliable and accurate.

cover2

Post by cover2 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:29 pm

http://www.pearcegrip.com/Products/GLOCK/PG-43%2B1

^ This is now available for the Glock 43.

Personally, I'd go with the Glock 43 or Shield. I won't carry any gun with a grip safety. If you ever take a force on force class, you may see that the perfect draw and grip you can attain on the flat range doesn't happen "in real life". Your grip may not be perfect, clothing can get caught between hand and gun, etc. The thought of a slightly compromised grip--with a resulting inability to press in the grip safety--rendering my gun unable to go bang is a deal breaker for me.

Https://civiliangunfighter.wordpress.com

Dutch253

Post by Dutch253 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:18 pm

cover2 wrote:http://www.pearcegrip.com/Products/GLOCK/PG-43%2B1

Personally, I'd go with the Glock 43 or Shield. I won't carry any gun with a grip safety. If you ever take a force on force class, you may see that the perfect draw and grip you can attain on the flat range doesn't happen "in real life". Your grip may not be perfect, clothing can get caught between hand and gun, etc. The thought of a slightly compromised grip--with a resulting inability to press in the grip safety--rendering my gun unable to go bang is a deal breaker for me.

Got to shoot them all and I'm either going with the Glock or the XDS. The XDS felt fantastic but is larger and more expensive than the Glock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:15 pm

Dutch253 wrote:

Got to shoot them all and I'm either going with the Glock or the XDS. The XDS felt fantastic but is larger and more expensive than the Glock.

Springfield is offering a promo for 2 extra free mags at the moment. Also make sure you are not looking at one that comes with "xd gear" the gear sucks and adds about $70. Non gear xds should be same price or cheaper than a 43 usually.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:19 pm

I waited for the Shield with no safety to come out, then handled it next to the G42 and found it not as small as I wanted it to be.

So I waited until the G43 came out and got that.

The 43 feels like it has a shorter grip, which is the part I care about as its the part that prints. It's basically a skinny G26, which is precisely what I wanted.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Dutch253

Post by Dutch253 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:21 pm

ultra magnus wrote:
Dutch253 wrote:

Springfield is offering a promo for 2 extra free mags at the moment. Also make sure you are not looking at one that comes with "xd gear" the gear sucks and adds about $70. Non gear xds should be same price or cheaper than a 43 usually.
At the shop I went to they XDS is $569 and the Glock 43 is $469.

Last edited by Dutch253 on Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:24 pm

Check and see if that XDS comes with trijis though. I know that the $469 glock does not, so thats another $60-100 you'll need to spend.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:27 pm

crypto wrote:Check and see if that XDS comes with trijis though. I know that the $469 glock does not, so thats another $60-100 you'll need to spend.
Its probably there garbage gear package. I don't believe they offer factory night sights on the xds. Xds 9mm with 2 mags should be about $419.99 -439.99

hondo

Post by hondo » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:34 am

All I can tell you is I know somebody who is now suing Springfield because his XDS fired out of battery and landed him into hospital. He was on the gun range changed a mag and gun slide closed and gun fired without trigger being pulled.

yggdrasil45

Post by yggdrasil45 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:49 am

I carry a Glock 26. I have shot the shield in 9. I liked it. I have shot the XDs45. It was cool. Recoil was surprisingly light for such a small .45. I have never shot the 43 but to be honest, I would get that due to my satisfaction with the 26. A Glock is like a trusty work truck. Its not comfortable or pretty but it starts every morning.
The Great World Tree Yggdrasil Trembles too its Roots

turbo6

Post by turbo6 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:15 pm

Bang for your Buck, it's hard to beat the Shield. Though the Springfield is arguably the best shooting of the 3, in my opinion. None of them are bad choices really.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:48 am

When in doubt, just Glock it already :wink:

I love my 42, tho I haven't got the Warren 2-dots on it yet.

Glocks just work and they get the best gear first, too.

It sure does help when you can find what you need for your gun...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

roadrash

Post by roadrash » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:19 am

I own all three and prefer the G43

weasel11

Post by weasel11 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:21 am

I have owned the shield for over a year and carry it everyday. Only thing I have done to it is put XS big dot sights on it cause my 52 yr old eyes suck. Reliable, accurate, slim and light. I won't part with it. It's big enough that it feels and shoots like a real gun, at least to me. Several friends have the glock and like it. To me, it feels too small in my hand and I have to be careful I don't bump the slide stop with my thumb. Shield feels better to me, but my buddies ain't going to trade their baby glocks. I would definitely shoot both before making your choice. Both are quality guns.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:08 pm

Do you have any of the full size counterparts? There's a lot to be said for maintaining a common manual of arms.

I went with the Sheild because I shoot an M&P 9L in 3-gun, and have a full size M&P that I carry when weather conditions allow a larger pistol.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:50 am

I tested all three at the range plus the Ruger LC9S Pro and liked the Shield the best. The Shield has the option of using the extended grip, which makes shooting it at the range a reasonable experience. It is my regular CCW and I like it a lot. But you can read a LOT of comparison reviews out there, and I doubt any of them would be a bad bet.

Other impressions: the Ruger is definitely the most concealable (bordering on pocket carry), which almost swayed me, but I have bigger hands and the grip was a bit too small. It was plenty accurate, though. I thought the grips on the Springfield were unnecessarily coarse and it was the blockiest/hardest to conceal. I didn't find specific fault with the Glock, but the S&W felt the closest to a real-sized handgun with the extended magazine, yet was just as small as the Glock with the smaller mag. And the Glock was close to $100 more, so the S&W won.

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:05 pm

Walther just released the Walther PPS M2. I fondled one at a local Gun Shop last week and it is sweet!

Single stack 9mm with great grip texture like on the PPQ with an excellent trigger break and short reset.

I will be getting one sometime this Summer.

Walther firearms are still overlooked by so many out there it is mind boggling. They have extreme reliability, accuracy, and well over 100 years of experience making fine quality firearms.
"ZomCon: A better life through containment"

painiac

Post by painiac » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:48 am

hondo wrote:All I can tell you is I know somebody who is now suing Springfield because his XDS fired out of battery and landed him into hospital. He was on the gun range changed a mag and gun slide closed and gun fired without trigger being pulled.
A protruding firing pin is always a possibility, particularly if the gun was not cleaned well; this can occur with new-in-box guns if they had excess packing grease. The firing pin moving forward from inertia and indenting a very soft primer is also a possibility. The fact is, these are recognized possible unsafe conditions with any firearm, which is exactly what the "safe direction" rule is for. I'm finding it extremely difficult to visualize how he managed to shoot himself during a mag change; I can only chalk it up to several different variations of shooter negligence, and I am hopeful that his lawsuit was unsuccessful.

Return to “Handguns”