Streamlight vs. Surefire weapon light for G21..and kydex?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Streamlight vs. Surefire weapon light for G21..and kydex?

Post by 91Eunozs » Wed May 27, 2015 4:22 pm

Ok, I promise I did a search, and either my Google-Fu is weak or this hasn't been discussed yet. Found this thread but it's just flashlights in general...

I'm about to have some work done on my Glock 21 (slide cuts, cerakote, etc.) and then upgrade the gun myself with some tasty bits from the Glockstore. One thing I'm going to do is have a custom kydex holster made. Found these guys: http://www.kt-mech.com/kt_akela/ak_G21.html

...but isn't there a ZSer that does custom kydex? Can't recall...

Regardless, I want to put a new light on this gun and my inclination is to buy a Surefire 300 Ultra (pic below), but is it really worth nearly twice the price ($230 vs. $130) compared to what my current Streamlight TLR-1 does? I can always put the Streamlight on another weapon since I have a couple without lights right now, but I'm having a hard time justifying the expense.

No experience w/this particular Surefire weapon light, but my limited knowledge and long experience tells me that you do indeed get what you pay for.

Anyone here have experience w/both?

Any strong opinions one way or another before I order the custom kydex?
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Streamlight vs. Surefire weapon light for G21..and kydex

Post by Halfapint » Wed May 27, 2015 4:32 pm

I have a surefire flashlight (it can be mounted as a weapon light) that sucker is bright! But you can get flashlights that have the same lumens for cheaper. I also have the TLR-1 that has many of the same specs as the surefire but for half the price. Mine is minted to my xdm, and it's my nightstand gun. It'll light up the house if I need it to.

My advice stick with the streamlight pick up one for half the price as a surefire and soend the rest on goodies for the Glock
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:04 pm

I have a TLR-1S, and I'm extremely happy with it. It sits on my home defense pistol. I've fired 1000+ rounds with the light mounted and I've had zero issues with it.

From what I could tell from the research I did before my purchase the basic decision comes down to:
* Are you going to be submerging your gun under several feet of water for hours at a time on a regular basis? If so, get the sure fire.
* Do you want to be able to tell people that you have the more expensive option? If so, get the sure fire.

For the most part the choice between the two is personal preference rather than one being absolutely superior to the other. If the prices were identical, then the surefire would be superior to the streamlight. But, they prices aren't identical, and the prices aren't even very close.

For the average person, the streamlight is more than capable.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Wed May 27, 2015 7:45 pm

Thanks y'all! I'm finding myself in agreement... Hard (for me) to justify the additional expense for not much added performance.

Then again, I understand the point of diminishing returns... God knows I spent a lot more on the last 10% performance on my cars and bikes than I did on the the first 90.

Think I'll have a couple adult beverages while pondering and order while buzzed! Though that tends to do bad, bad things to our financial solvency...I tend to compromise the American way and do both. You know, for research purposes!
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed May 27, 2015 8:08 pm

91Eunozs wrote:Then again, I understand the point of diminishing returns... God knows I spent a lot more on the last 10% performance on my cars and bikes than I did on the the first 90.
This hits a little to close to home.... HAHAHAHA! But hey, as I said get the cheaper light, and get the better trigger job. Or whatever you glock people do ;)
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed May 27, 2015 8:13 pm

I use the Streamlight on everything with a rail without issue. What kind of holster are you after? IWB, OWB?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:15 am

I would NOT recommend KT Mech, I purchased one of their holsters for my brother-in-law's FNP-9 as a Christmas present and the fit was terrible. Loose enough that the gun fell out when the holster was turned upside down, even with the retention screw fully tightened. There are a lot of options for good Kydex for that weapon/light combo, just a couple off the top of my head that I have personal experience with:

Peter's Custom
http://peterscustomholsters.com/store/

(Hold Fast IWB or Spada OWB)

Raven Concealment Systems
http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybig ... -holsters/
(Phantom Light Compatible with appropriate hardwear OWB or IWB)

If you're looking for a retention holster OWB, I've had good luck with Safariland and G-Code, both are available for that weapon/light combo.

Both Surefire and Streamlight are good to go for pistol lights, personally I don't think the average user will have any issues with either one.

EDIT: Oh, and FYI the X300 Ultra is a completely different light (different housing and bezel, I think) than the X300, holsters for the X300 usually will not fit the X300 Ultra.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu May 28, 2015 9:10 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I use the Streamlight on everything with a rail without issue. What kind of holster are you after? IWB, OWB?
OWB...

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu May 28, 2015 9:37 am

...and thanks TDW! I used to have a couple Safariland holsters; even had them issued in my unit over in Germany. Got rid of them along w/the 9mm pistols when I consolidated my handgun collection.

I did enjoy the Safariland though. Still remember that awkward period where I had to re-learn the draw method too...thumb break/top loop on the Safariland vs. the index finger push button release on the Blackhawk. Way too many times actually having to look down at the holster to see what was wrong when the pistol wouldn't pull free because my muscle memory was wrong! :lol:

Funny in training, but I wouldn't want to be in a situation where a fast draw made a difference while still learning a new carry system... Both of my actual carry handguns are officer model 1911s (Colt New Agent and a Colt Defender), so that's where I try to build muscle memory now. Have only leather holsters for my 1911s (mostly Galco) and a couple different Blackhawk polymer holsters for my G21...

Regardless, the ideal situation for the G21 would be something I can mount one of the Blackhawk Serpa male connectors on so I can easily transfer the same pistol/holster over to female mounts on a couple different different belt rigs, two plate carriers, and even a couple mounts under a desk/behind cabinets.

Not a primary concern though... Good fit and function are key since this will be the new permanent setup for this gun. Moreover, I'll likely buy another G21 in the future and build up an identical, or at least very similar pistol, and use the same holster setup as well.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu May 28, 2015 10:22 am

Is there an optic-friendly Safariland that's also light compatible? You know...just incase...

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu May 28, 2015 11:35 am

I've got a Streamlight TLR-1s (not sure what the difference is between the TLR-1 and my light) and it sits on my Glock 41. It's a damn good light and I wish I'd have bought two of them.

I was actually looking at the SureFire, but the Streamlight beat it out in terms of pricing (250 versus 120-ish).

By the way, anyone know if the TLR-1s will fit in holster designed for guns with the TLR-1 ?

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu May 28, 2015 11:37 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Is there an optic-friendly Safariland that's also light compatible? You know...just incase...

...funny you should mention that. One future consideration is to put an optic on this pistol for 3-gun competition. The place I'm considering for the slide work is Glockmeister and their custom package that includes slide cuts as well as cutting out the rear of the slide for a red dot sight: http://www.glockmeister.com/Glockmeiste ... nfo/GMPKG/

Normally this pistol would just have the light, and a plate where the red dot would be installed, but it'd be nice if it would accommodate the red dot too.

OT: As far as I can tell, none of the Safariland holsters would allow an optic.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu May 28, 2015 12:08 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I've got a Streamlight TLR-1s (not sure what the difference is between the TLR-1 and my light) and it sits on my Glock 41. It's a damn good light and I wish I'd have bought two of them.

I was actually looking at the SureFire, but the Streamlight beat it out in terms of pricing (250 versus 120-ish).

By the way, anyone know if the TLR-1s will fit in holster designed for guns with the TLR-1 ?

AFAIK the only difference is the strobe function... Should be exactly the same housing.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu May 28, 2015 12:15 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I've got a Streamlight TLR-1s (not sure what the difference is between the TLR-1 and my light) and it sits on my Glock 41. It's a damn good light and I wish I'd have bought two of them.

AFAIK the only difference is the strobe function... Should be exactly the same housing.
Thanks, 91Eunozs.

Looks like I'm going to be doing some holster shopping soon.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu May 28, 2015 2:59 pm

So, I was looking at my flashlights and pulled my TLR-1 game spotter off my pig gun. Think they'll do a custom holster for this one? :clownshoes: :crazy: :awesome:

:lol:

Needs more blue wire and maybe a musket bayonet... Not sure the bullet would even clear the light!

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu May 28, 2015 5:50 pm

Not going to lie.... I snorted a little at that. Haha definitely more blue wire

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu May 28, 2015 6:23 pm

91Eunozs wrote:So, I was looking at my flashlights and pulled my TLR-1 game spotter off my pig gun. Think they'll do a custom holster for this one? :clownshoes: :crazy: :awesome:

:lol:

Needs more blue wire and maybe a musket bayonet... Not sure the bullet would even clear the light!
I thought it was an underslung Blunderbuss for a second....

I roll:
- TLR-1 for pistols
- Surefire for rifles

- SBR - pick one
I have a TLR-1S, and I'm extremely happy with it. It sits on my home defense pistol. I've fired 1000+ rounds with the light mounted and I've had zero issues with it.
That is a lot with a pistol light. Curious how your lens is holding up.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu May 28, 2015 6:26 pm

I shall call it the blunderbuss edition!

So, I just got back from running some errands and in today's mail is a timely ad from midway...kind of a mini catalogue. Right on the cover is an ad for Surefire x300 Ultras with a price "too low to print."

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/159126 ... m#delivery

Can't add it to my cart so methinks they're already sold out.

Anyone here get one? Price?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu May 28, 2015 6:53 pm

91Eunozs wrote:I shall call it the blunderbuss edition!

So, I just got back from running some errands and in today's mail is a timely ad from midway...kind of a mini catalogue. Right on the cover is an ad for Surefire x300 Ultras with a price "too low to print."

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/159126 ... m#delivery

Can't add it to my cart so methinks they're already sold out.

Anyone here get one? Price?
I show $209, twice the price of a TLR1.

Edit: You have to click to select a color/option before it will let you add to cart.

TDW586

Post by TDW586 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:35 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Is there an optic-friendly Safariland that's also light compatible? You know...just incase...

I know I've seen an RMR-equipped Glock riding in one of the ALS series, and I think it had a light as well, but fuck if I can remember where I saw it. It may have required some modification to fit the RMR.

TDW586

Post by TDW586 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:44 am

91Eunozs wrote:...and thanks TDW! I used to have a couple Safariland holsters; even had them issued in my unit over in Germany. Got rid of them along w/the 9mm pistols when I consolidated my handgun collection.

I did enjoy the Safariland though. Still remember that awkward period where I had to re-learn the draw method too...thumb break/top loop on the Safariland vs. the index finger push button release on the Blackhawk. Way too many times actually having to look down at the holster to see what was wrong when the pistol wouldn't pull free because my muscle memory was wrong! :lol:

Funny in training, but I wouldn't want to be in a situation where a fast draw made a difference while still learning a new carry system... Both of my actual carry handguns are officer model 1911s (Colt New Agent and a Colt Defender), so that's where I try to build muscle memory now. Have only leather holsters for my 1911s (mostly Galco) and a couple different Blackhawk polymer holsters for my G21...

Regardless, the ideal situation for the G21 would be something I can mount one of the Blackhawk Serpa male connectors on so I can easily transfer the same pistol/holster over to female mounts on a couple different different belt rigs, two plate carriers, and even a couple mounts under a desk/behind cabinets.

Not a primary concern though... Good fit and function are key since this will be the new permanent setup for this gun. Moreover, I'll likely buy another G21 in the future and build up an identical, or at least very similar pistol, and use the same holster setup as well.

I wince a little whenever someone says SERPA, sorry. Different strokes for different folks, but I've seen a pistol that had to be cut out of a SERPA due to grit lodged in the mechanism and heard about several more, which is enough for me to avoid them.

If you want to be REALLY awesome...go G-Code and use the SOC holster and the RTI system. The SOC is pretty cool; one holster body with different cowlings for gun/light combos.

http://www.tacticalholsters.com/product ... lster.html

The RTI is an awesome attachment system, kind of like what you described. Easily allows you to switch holsters between belts/gear with every kind of attachment you could want:

http://www.tacticalholsters.com/categor ... ories.html

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri May 29, 2015 11:45 am

Thanks!

Yeah, I bought the Serpa because I was given one to try out w/my Beretta, then it kind of snowballed from there. I mounted the little female connectors to everything and got into the habit of just moving the pistol/holster around wherever I happened to be.

I even had one mounted on my front plate carrier for my M9 in AFG. Seemed to work fine for me but then again, I never had to actually use my weapons, just made it convenient when I was moving around in a HMMWV or flying around from place to place. Since I was pretty much an inside the wire guy, I normally just carried my M9 in a shoulder rig over my flight suit or ABUs.

I bought a couple holsters for my G21 and just transferred the male adapters over... Now these just get used around the house and sit on some gear that never gets used except for fun/training.

Regardless, looking for a new system now and appreciate the tips!

...Oh, and wound up buying a couple more TLR-1 lights. One a 300 lumen basic TLR-1 (non strobe) models for $99, one a 600 lumen high power (non blunderbuss!) model for $139...free shipping on both.

I do have another of the long range TLR-1 models (like my game spotter, but white light instead of green), plus a remote switch setup, sitting in my shopping cart on Amazon waiting for the next paycheck. Think I'll put that one on my son's rifle and take his current Streamlight Polytac/Viking Tactical mount rig and put it on one of our other rifles currently sans light.

Now to just close the deal on a damn holster for the G21...

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri May 29, 2015 12:11 pm

TDW586 wrote:...

If you want to be REALLY awesome...go G-Code and use the SOC holster and the RTI system. The SOC is pretty cool; one holster body with different cowlings for gun/light combos.

The RTI is an awesome attachment system, kind of like what you described. Easily allows you to switch holsters between belts/gear with every kind of attachment you could want:

Damn, doesn't look like they make one for the G21...

Edit: Looks like this one will fit the G21, and it has the modularity I'm looking for, but I don't see a provision for a light.

TDW586

Post by TDW586 » Fri May 29, 2015 6:54 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
TDW586 wrote:...

Damn, doesn't look like they make one for the G21...

Edit: Looks like this one will fit the G21, and it has the modularity I'm looking for, but I don't see a provision for a light.
Ah, damn, my bad, didn't notice they didn't make the SOC for the Glock 21. Are you looking specifically for a retention holster with a strap/locking mechanism of some kind?

Return to “Handguns”