Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

URBAN ASSAULT

Re: Worst SHTF Handgun

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:39 am

What the hell is that monstrosity?

It's so fugly I kinda like it.

-urban
Stercutus wrote:
charlie505 wrote:Does Hi-Point make a revolver??
Isn't it one of these?

"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

Break And Pentry

Post by Break And Pentry » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:21 am

That's a snub nose version of the Chiappa Rhino.
Abraham Lincoln: “I am not concerned that you have fallen. I am concerned that you arise.”

Abraham Lincoln: "Lord, I beseech you. Grant me wisdom, to see the way clear. Let me help these Walking Dead, find their final resting place. Help me to end their torture and misery. To show them the way to Your Eternal forgiveness. Amen."

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:54 am

Thanks for the info. I am repulsed, yet compelled by it.

-urban
Break And Pentry wrote:That's a snub nose version of the Chiappa Rhino.
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:34 am

URBAN ASSAULT wrote:Thanks for the info. I am repulsed, yet compelled by it.

-urban

It's so legit they use it in the "divergent" movies... Basically gives it instant Apocalyptic Street Cred. Just like what Twilight did with Volvo!!!!! Almost as good as a Desert Eagle in legit-ness.
Last edited by JeeperCreeper on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:49 am

Yup. It's a very "Hollywood" weapon.

EDIT TO ADD: Although it's built on an interesting recoil-reducing concept, I don't think I'd ever consider one.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:59 am

Boondock wrote:
Yup. It's a very "Hollywood" weapon.

EDIT TO ADD: Although it's built on an interesting recoil-reducing concept, I don't think I'd ever consider one.

You know it's Hollywood because that cylinder gap would scorch her thumb somethang fierce. I would think about one if they weren't so expensive. I heard they shoot nicely but I also saw one blow apart from constant shooting (online, not in person). So they don't seem to be Ruger/Smith quality, and at $1,000, I don't think so.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:05 am

JeeperCreeper wrote: ... and at $1,000, I don't think so.
Totally, man.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:43 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:, and at $1,000, I don't think so.
You're in luck, a mere seven hundred and change:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... 57MAG+2%22
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:49 pm

:lol:

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:10 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:My buddy and I had a discussion: What is the worst "mainstream" handgun for someone to buy with SHTF purposes in mind. I'm talking generally here, no specific event, so a good well rounded gun. And I mean mainstream: as not in a cap n ball revolver or a caracal or a venezuelan saturday night special.

My buddy said a revolver. Low capacity, slower to shoot for non professionals, slower to load without speedloaders, etc.

I say a 1911. Low mag capacity, mine was super picky with ammo (as well as a few buddy's), not very concealable for a low capacity gun, not easy to field strip, parts need fitting sometimes if replacements ever happen. Good for range or collecting, bad for using.

For me, I'd rather have a six shot (def 8 shot) 357 over a GI 1911 any day. My HiPoint 45 has a better track record than most 1911s I've shot.

But that's just me, what about you??
My answer is, "Any handgun with which the shooter has not received professional instruction."

I'm always going to be the guy who makes this sort of no fun, obvious, buzzkill comment, that was pretty much inevitable in response to this question, sooner or later. But really, as far as handgun choice, it really doesn't matter all that much. A skilled shooter can make almost any weapon work, while a moron will get him- or herself killed no matter what weapon they have. This is not to say that there aren't guns that are way worse than others for a given role (e.g. SHTF). But in any case, a shooter skilled enough for his or her choice of pistol to matter will have trained and practiced (two different things) enough to know whether or not his or her weapon will work when needed.

Take just about any handgun course anywhere, and look down the line. You'll see Glock, Glock, Glock, Glock, and maybe some old dude with a 1911, and then Glock, Glock, Glock. There is a reason for this. Glocks work. Yeah, you can get a nicer trigger from a 1911, and training to flick the safety off as you draw isn't a big deal. But you've got to fuss with 'em to make them run reliably. I went to a USPSA practice recently and there was one old dude there with a 1911, and it'd choke on him once or twice per stage. On the other hand, I went to a pistol course with Force Options and there was an old dude whose 1911 ran like a top. And all of the FrontSight instructors wear 1911s. (Well, all the ones that I saw.) So they CAN be made to work. But Glocks work out of the box, every time. (Statistically insignificant exceptions notwithstanding.)

You'll see a few other handguns as well. I ran Force Options with my Sig, there was an FN, Smith, Ruger, and at Front Sight, one lady running a .38 Special revolver. They all worked for the purpose of training, and when they had problems, they were diagnosed and addressed. Each and every one of these people left that training knowing the strengths and weaknesses of their weapon system, and if the S were to actually H the F, they'd know what they had and how to use it. I'm not saying that taking one class makes each of them a hardened killer, I just mean that they know their handgun and how to run it.

Hi-Points are bulky, ugly, and heavy, but by all accounts they actually run pretty well. I keep joking (or maybe I'm not joking) that I want to buy a used Hi-Point, bling it out (I'm thinking metallic purple DuraCoat on the frame, and gold plate the slide), and bring it to a serious pistol course. I'll have a backup pistol, of course, but I think it would be interesting to see how an allegedly shit pistol performs under that kind of hard use.

I just bought my first revolver, a used Taurus .357, and while I enjoy shooting it, I think that they're often recommended for women and inexperienced shooters (the former often being unfortunately conflated with the latter) when in fact they are somewhat trickier to learn. The trigger pull is like 12lbs. on a double-action revolver, and trying to run one single-action is slow as a turtle on a short bus. The rebuttal here is always a link to a Jerry Miculek video, and that man can run any damned weapon he pleases. But if you're picking out a weapon for your girlfriend (why isn't she picking out her own?), a revolver is a damned poor choice. Especially a lightweight snubby.

Subcompact pistols, I think, are often chosen for their ease of concealment, even by people who don't need a gun that small. They're harder to shoot, and while they're awesome for their intended role, I don't think they should be a person's first or only pistol. I'd start with a full-sized pistol, and once you've mastered it, get a smaller one if you need deeper concealment.

The .22 gets a lot of hate, and a lot of advocacy, and in both cases rightly so. Out of a rifle it's a great small game getter. For training it's excellent at overcoming flinch, building confidence, etc. (If you can find it on the shelves.) But an NAA .22 revolver is hardly a fighting gun. "HURRRrrr, are you volunteering to get shot with one?" No, cockstain, but I'd rather be shot with one than just about anything else. Except a .25. The .25 is the most useless cartridge ever invented.

That's my answer, by the way. The worst SHTF gun is a subcompact .25ACP.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:04 pm

I am going to go with one that is broken. As anything that works (As I have eloquently and incontrovertibly communicated below) is better than nothing...

I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:07 pm

RickOShea wrote:Image

The blue wire is a nice touch!
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:04 am

Haw about the good old luger, in 7.65 of course!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:01 pm

Dabster wrote:I am going to go with one that is broken. As anything that works (As I have eloquently and incontrovertibly communicated below) is better than nothing...

More real world proof that you don't need to aim when you have a shotgun.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

minengr

Post by minengr » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:09 am

Bryco and Jennings because I'd put them in the worst no matter what category. I personally wouldn't rate single action revolvers very high, depending on the situation. I love my Blackhawks, but they wouldn't be my first choice.

First choice would probably be one of my 1911's.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Wed May 13, 2015 9:32 pm

My vote goes for the AC derringer in 38 special. The safety doesn't work. It's safer loaded than it is loading it(the firing pin sticks out when you swing the barrels down, if your not careful KABOOM), and it's inaccurate ( I stood four feet away from a cardboard box and shot 6 times and didn't hit it once.)
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

Fire

Post by Fire » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:34 am

I have to go with the majority opinion, that a small caliber derringer, especially if it is a. 25, is the worst to be stuck with. A .22 has utility, but a tiny barrel and bad sights robs it of that and a .25 marries a very low power to a large difficulty with resupply.
रक्षस

" I have stood the charge of the Rakshasha, my heart will not fail, I have felt the teeth of the tiger, I fear no evil"....

Hail St. Gabriel Possenti, patron saint of handgunners...

Boom40mm

Post by Boom40mm » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:12 am

Black Beard

Post by Black Beard » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:30 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
RickOShea wrote:Image

The blue wire is a nice touch!
That would be so much cooler with a nice cap and ball revolver.

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:16 pm

Geppato
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland

Post by Geppato » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:05 am

For me, the worst handgun is the Beretta 92f.

I hated this pistol in the navy. It jammed when I needed it. And I have heard the high "break" rate with field use. They are inside the house type of pistols in my opinion. They just collapse with any type of ware or debris.

I fell in love with glock, but keep dreaming about sig...
You're A Daisy If You Do

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:07 pm

Jeriah wrote: Take just about any handgun course anywhere, and look down the line. You'll see Glock, Glock, Glock, Glock, and maybe some old dude with a 1911, and then Glock, Glock, Glock. T

I've been that class twice :clap: You made me laugh.

Anywho not to totally fuck up the thread: Pretty much what Jeriah said. Ran 2 different sigs in 5 classes, ran my glock in 1. All worked well. Don't remember any malf's in any of the classes because of what anyone's specific gun was born as, except maybe a bushing break on a 1911 that, to be fair, had more mileage on it than anything I shoot (or drive...). Shit breaks when you use it! Gentleman had a spare part handy and was up and running without delay. Even Vicarious's 92 worked! :awesome:

People who run guns tend to migrate to certain brands as J stated. I'm all for people doing what they want, but I do inwardly cringe when people say they have an XD even though I don't have any firsthand knowledge of any problems with them (I've never seen one run at a class or socially at the range; they are perfectly fine for all I know). I just don't understand why not buy a damn glock instead??
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:00 pm

No votes for the Desert Eagle yet? Really? That easily gets my vote for the worst choice. Big, heavy, lots of recoil, rare ammunition (depending on which caliber), and all but impossible to conceal. Blah. I would take that Chiappa snubby any day.

And while some of you guys may deride single action revolvers, how many of your automatics and you get to fire it the mainspring breaks? With something like a Colt or a Ruger, you can bang the hammer with a rock to get it to fire. Try that with a Glock. I am not saying that I would take something like a Vaquero for everything. But a .45 with 6 reliable shots is really, really hard to beat. Especially if you aren't planning on fighting off zombie hordes. How many times have you guys had to actually bug out? And for that limited number of you that have, what did you take? What did you end up actually needing? Was it worth all the time and effort to schlep that phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range when you went? Hell no. We have had to bug out half a dozen times here in San Diego for wildfires. I dragged a small arsenal the first time. The last time it was whichever handgun was on top in the safe, with an extra mag and half a box of ammo. Why? Because there is so much else to worry about. The odds of you needing a gun when you bug out are pretty slim. Why bog yourself down with extra junk? A single action revolver has no extra magazines to use, and can be carried loaded indefinitely without ever having to worry about whether or not you remembered to load one in the chamber. Most of them are in substantial, fight-ending calibers. And they tend to be very accurate.

-Mb
Last edited by gun toting monkeyboy on Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Smash05 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:47 pm

Nagant Revolver. Difficult to find ammo, anemic round, heavy trigger pull in double or single action. Probably bought and owned by lots of folks because it could be had for under 100 bucks for years. But any gun is better than none.
Those who are prepared to help themselves, are prepared to help others.

Return to “Handguns”