Is the Ruger P90 a 1911 replacement?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Re: Is the Ruger P90 a 1911 replacement?

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:48 am

silentpoet1 wrote: I think of them as security guard guns.
Well it's perfect for me then... it matches my Segway so nicely, and next time those punk kids try to steal all the gumballs from the food court, I will have a nice piece of stainless hip jewelry backing me up
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

silentpoet1
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Dawn of the Dead.

Post by silentpoet1 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:52 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
silentpoet1 wrote: I think of them as security guard guns.
Well it's perfect for me then... it matches my Segway so nicely, and next time those punk kids try to steal all the gumballs from the food court, I will have a nice piece of stainless hip jewelry backing me up
I have worked a variety of security jobs. The p90 is not what would choose to carry concealed. But it is a good enough duty type gun. I think maybe one the guys I was a reserve deputy with carried one. But I don't think it is the best choice. But certainly better than some I saw at the one company where we had to buy our own.

My finances are improving a little so I am looking to refill my near empty gun safe by replacing some guns I have let go along the years. The p90 is not one I will replace. Just doesn't fit a niche for me. I don't hate it, just don't like it enough.
"...a society too squeamish to call evil by its right name has destroyed its first, best defense against cutthroats."
David Gelernter (Unabomber victim)

I_Hate_George_Lucas
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland and 28 Weeks Later

Post by I_Hate_George_Lucas » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:45 am

The P Series Rugers before the P345 were well designed if slightly ergonomically challenged batch of handguns. They pretty much worked with any ammo and in crappy conditions as long as you did your part and cleaned and oiled them. Did they have the best triggers? Nope. What about awesome sights? Ehhh, they were okay. Maybe the grips were good? If it wasn't for Hogue the guns would blow chunks. But I can say this....

Before the cancelation of the P Series guns. I would always recommend them for the person on a fixed or limited income and needed something to work when bad stuff could happen.

The Ruger P Series was the "Every Day Working Man's" Gun. Something he could keep in his nightstand or glove box. A pistol he could carry with the knowledge knowing that if he draws it; it'll work when needed. Sure, it wasn't pretty... but ugly kills muggers, rapists, murders, and home invaders just as good.
PistolPete wrote:ROFL LOOK AT THIS VIDEO OF A MONKEY FUCKING A DUCK!!!!!!!
Warning: If subject is found in a happy state. Punch in throat until subject returns to a non cheerful demeanor.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:13 am

Ruger created the P-series (mainly the p85 9mm) to compete in the US military competition to replace the 1911. As we all know Beretta won the contest.

Here is a good article comparing the P90 to the 1911
http://www.realguns.com/archives/182.htm

Here is another decent article about the rise and fall of the Ruger P-series
http://www.guns.com/2013/07/10/the-ruge ... dgun-back/

The Ruger P-90 was pretty much a replacement for the 1911 by shear design. It beats the 1911 in terms of cost to manufacture, safety, and a bit in reliability. Ironically safety and reliability comes into play with the 3rd gen .45...the Ruger P345. Ruger in its infinite wisdom added way too many safety features to the gun which made the reliability suffer.

in 2004 Ruger actually won a US army contract to supply The US. Army Tank-automotive and Armaments Command with 5,000 P95 (3rd gen 9mm). P95 were also supplied to Iraqi police and security forces post Saddam.

http://www.ruger.com/news/2004-12-23.html

Like others have said, the P-series pistols were a bit ugly, but they were durable, built like a tank, and reasonably priced. While I never really wanted one, I have shot a few over the years, and always suggested them to pistol buyers on a budget. I hated to see Ruger drop the P-series for their SR pistols, but the move made sense. The age of cheap yet reliable, slim, lightweight, polymer pistol for Kel Tec and other gun manufactures basically killed Ruger's bulky P-series.

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:00 pm

I'll admit, despite my overall preference for the Ruger, I've been bitten by the 1911 bug. I'd like to buy one, soon.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:42 pm

Mikeyboy wrote: in 2004 Ruger actually won a US army contract to supply The US. Army Tank-automotive and Armaments Command with 5,000 P95 (3rd gen 9mm). P95 were also supplied to Iraqi police and security forces post Saddam.
Don't quote me on this, but I think that deal was more on paper than anything because I think those 5,000 pistols were the ones they gave to the Iraqi forces.... The US Army Tank division also bought 5,000 SIG 2022s for the same reason.....

I think....
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

I_Hate_George_Lucas
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland and 28 Weeks Later

Post by I_Hate_George_Lucas » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:00 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Mikeyboy wrote: in 2004 Ruger actually won a US army contract to supply The US. Army Tank-automotive and Armaments Command with 5,000 P95 (3rd gen 9mm). P95 were also supplied to Iraqi police and security forces post Saddam.
Don't quote me on this, but I think that deal was more on paper than anything because I think those 5,000 pistols were the ones they gave to the Iraqi forces.... The US Army Tank division also bought 5,000 SIG 2022s for the same reason.....

I think....
Yes, that is the Procurement done by the US Army to supply allied forces. They also bought the S&W SW9VE Sigmas for Afghan Forces. It is all done through US TACOM.

The P95 were for Iraqi Forces.

PistolPete wrote:ROFL LOOK AT THIS VIDEO OF A MONKEY FUCKING A DUCK!!!!!!!
Warning: If subject is found in a happy state. Punch in throat until subject returns to a non cheerful demeanor.

Return to “Handguns”