Night Sights: Help me out here.

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates(so terrible it's great)

Night Sights: Help me out here.

Post by Brotherbadger » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:32 am

So, long story short, i have decided I'd like to get some night sights on my Sig P220. I've had my eye on the Trijicon SG03, but i wanted to gauge ZS's opinion here. Are there a better options out there? Anybody have experience with this sight(or your gun's version of it)? I'd prefer to spend less than $150(i've noticed this model jumps from $116-$131 every now and then), but going slightly over isn't a deal breaker.

Secondary question: Does having a different color front sight seem to make it easier for fast target acquisition, or is it just a personal preference? I can't see it making a huge difference, but I've noticed they offer it both in all green, and multicolor setups.

Thanks for your time guys.
Doc Torr wrote:You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Re: Night Sights: Help me out here.

Post by Neptune Glory » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:38 am

Check out Heinie Straight Eight Night Sights. I'm a big fan: those are the ones I've mounted onto all of the pistols I own.

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/catalog/s8diagram.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R81U0igqAVo

Good luck!
-Neptune
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:30 am

Ameriglo. They have some contrast sights that are amazing, the pics on the internet do not do them justice. I just got a yellow/green front sight and it rocks. I coupled it with a plain black steel sight with a flat front. All is was about $70. Redeyes, da basterd, got a set of orange/yellow that maybe the best I've ever seen. He has a small dot tritium in the rear, amazing set up, I think it was around $100.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:00 am

I'd say you should look at XS Big Dots.

https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8208
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:28 am

Just to throw out another choice... I bought an HK45CT about a year ago. It came with Meprolight night sights. I have had three other pistols with factory night sights and my USP 45T has match sights but the Meprolights are my favorite. They are quite bright and unobtrusive but extremely easy to aim. I wish I could tell you why I like them but I don't know why -I suspect there is some sort of optimization going on.

Just a thought.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:45 am

Gingerbread Man wrote:Ameriglo. They have some contrast sights that are amazing, the pics on the internet do not do them justice. I just got a yellow/green front sight and it rocks. I coupled it with a plain black steel sight with a flat front. All is was about $70. Redeyes, da basterd, got a set of orange/yellow that maybe the best I've ever seen. He has a small dot tritium in the rear, amazing set up, I think it was around $100.
http://grabagun.com/ameriglo-pro-i-dot- ... Ai1S8P8HAQ

Mine are a lime green phosphorescent large dot with a green tritium vial in the center for the front sight and a black rear with a green tritium vial in the center of the sight below the notch. Makes lining up sights easy at night and finding your front sight easy in daytime. The ones in the link are the same but have a orange non phosphorescent front dot. With shipping, right at $90 was what I paid. I dig this way more than my Glock night sights.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:28 pm

I have trij Orange hd's on my 228. I like them as much as anything else. Tbh they are pretty similar to stock sig ns, so you might consider those. I like 10-8 sights but they do t make for sig. I don't think you'll go wrong with anything suggested here. Do some picture research and find what looks good.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Cu Chulainn

Post by Cu Chulainn » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:49 pm

I would have to say of all the night sights, the Heinie Straight-8 are my favorite. They are just faster to acquire and line up for me.

Midway has them for the P220 for $110: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/689979 ... uctFinding

I have Meprolights on a Kimber, they are big, easy to see at night, but the dots are so big, I have trouble in the day time.

For 3-dot sights, the Trijicon sights that came on my XDm are better than the Mpreolight, IMO, because the dots are smaller, but still plenty visible, but leave more steel around the tubes to pick up during the day, and there is more gap in the rear sight notch to more easily center the front sight.

ADDICTED2TONE

Post by ADDICTED2TONE » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:48 pm

I've tried about everything on the market and I keep going back to trigicon and meprolight with meprolight being my favorite.
I'm on a no night sight kick at the moment and into flashlights both hand and weapon mounted utilizing my standard sights.
This debate is so subjective and full of personal preference it's exhaustive lol!

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:03 pm

I've used both Meprolight and Ameriglo tritium sights. The Ameriglo ones said Trijicon on the side though, so not sure what to make of that. Either way, the Ameriglo was on a G26 and was an I dot of sorts. Green tritium front encased in a luminescent yellow square and the rear had no tritium just a luminescent bar under the notch. The Mepros were on a G23 and were the standard green 3 dot style. Price is right on those Mepros, though.

Any thoughts on TFO sights? I want to try FO sights but am unsure about durability. Does the rear have the proper angle to rack off my belt? If the tubes break or fall out are they still usable as tritium sights?

This will be on a 229.

ADDICTED2TONE

Post by ADDICTED2TONE » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:51 am

AS556 wrote:I've used both Meprolight and Ameriglo tritium sights. The Ameriglo ones said Trijicon on the side though, so not sure what to make of that. Either way, the Ameriglo was on a G26 and was an I dot of sorts. Green tritium front encased in a luminescent yellow square and the rear had no tritium just a luminescent bar under the notch. The Mepros were on a G23 and were the standard green 3 dot style. Price is right on those Mepros, though.

Any thoughts on TFO sights? I want to try FO sights but am unsure about durability. Does the rear have the proper angle to rack off my belt? If the tubes break or fall out are they still usable as tritium sights?

This will be on a 229.
I have shot a couple of Glocks with TFOs on em. I loved the glow, it was a constant warm glow.
What I didn't like was it really shortens your sight radius which sucked on a compact pistol.
I wish I could have shot them on a 5 inch barrel and not a 4 and a 3.5.

Return to “Handguns”