Gen 4 Glock Handle Wrap

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Gen 4 Glock Handle Wrap

Post by Neptune Glory » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:15 pm

Hiyas,

I own a Gen 4 Glock 19, and I hate the way the bumpy handle feels against bare skin.

Can anyone recommend a handle wrap, to make inside waist band concealed carry, under a single T-shirt, more bearable?

Thanks!
-Neptune
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Gen 4 Glock Handle Wrap

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:40 pm

In typical Doc style, fuck your idea!

I would say either sand the side that touches skin, or get used to wearing a wifebeater underneath. I went with the latter. Even a hogue wrap is unpleasant rubbing against skin.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Snyper708

Post by Snyper708 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:56 am

Duct Tape ;)

Really, if you're never going to sell it, I'd just sand it down

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:40 pm

Thanks, gentlemen. Will probably invest in some sleeveless undershirts.
-Neptune

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:53 pm

Neptune Glory wrote:Thanks, gentlemen. Will probably invest in some sleeveless undershirts.
-Neptune
This is what I do. You can also try a leather/kydex holster if that strikes your fancy. Mine doesn't let the handle of my pistol rub against me, but I'm a hairy bastard so I still wear an undershirt because the leather isn't all the comfy tearing out hair either.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:20 pm

For a long time, I carried a Ruger P89 with hogue grips for CCW. I simply wore a t-shirt under a button-down shirt. It never presented any issues.

(Granted, I wouldn't advise others to carry a gun that size for CCW, not unless you're built like me. Think big.)
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

FLMOPE
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by FLMOPE » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:41 pm

Bicycle innertube. Cut just smaller than the grip. Cheap and still gives good tactile feel. One tube will make multiple covers.
There is no and never will be a shortage of stupid.
There ain't no fixing stupid

Neptune Glory

Post by Neptune Glory » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:54 pm

So I'm carrying the Gen 4 Glock 19 in a SmartCarry holster without issue now, at least when wearing nursing scrubs to and from work. It's cold enough that undershirts aren't a problem in regular clothing, when I wear a King Tuk holster IWB. I'll either try that bicycle inner tube trick, or sand off the bumps on one side of the handle, if the summer months come and it's still a problem.

Thanks everyone!
-Neptune
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

WutsFrequencyKeneth

Post by WutsFrequencyKeneth » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:27 pm

Second the undershirt comment.

Since carrying, I've always worn a tshirt or wife beater underneath. If I wear only one layer, I just feel /weird/ now.

Murgatroy

Post by Murgatroy » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:33 pm

I come from the old school of men that always wear and undershirt and a belt.

And a beard, but that is a story for another day.

The idea of a wrap for the grip doesn't sound very appealing to me, as someone above mentioned, I am hairy and I think the rubber of the grip would be very uncomfortable tearing the hair out.

For IWB carry I have a kydex holster that along with the undershirt make carry a comfortable prospect.
Yoda for President

Unorthodox
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Unorthodox » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:52 pm

Sand it.
ImageImage
I load my gatteries in my assault clips for my AR-15 battle rifle. | Avatar By Nyssa

cemoulton

Post by cemoulton » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:49 pm

this is why i have gen 3's.

that being said if you run a the flame from a butane torch back and forth almost touching the grip then the rough nubbies will become rounded and smooth. i have done this for a friend and it worked like a charm.
"JamesCannon wrote: I don't think any victim has ever cried out "If only someone was there to sit idly by and watch..."

"phil_in_cs wrote: People with lots of guns and ammo, but no food, are preparing to be looters and raiders, whether they admit to that or not."

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:43 pm

T-shirt. Not an underarmor either, you will still feel it.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:00 pm

The shirt method works, but for me it makes me overheat to have two shirts on. Im about 6' 180 so its not weight, just run hot I guess. Look into the Talon grips with rubberized texture, not the sandpaper style version. Never carried with them but worth a look. I suggested them to a member on another board I frequent for his PPS and he loves them.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:08 am

Point #1: First problem is you bought a Glock... So one you solve that, go to point 2.

Point #2: Rub the handle in vasoline. It eliminates any chaffing. It also allows for lubrication of the weapon and smooth operation.

Point #3: Ignore the first 2 and just get an undershirt because even sanded grips can be annoying on direct skin contact.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Neptune Glory

Post by Neptune Glory » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:40 am

cemoulton wrote:this is why i have gen 3's.

that being said if you run a the flame from a butane torch back and forth almost touching the grip then the rough nubbies will become rounded and smooth. i have done this for a friend and it worked like a charm.
I like this idea a lot. Even if I screw this up, I can sand down my mistake later.

Thanks!
-Neptune

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:08 am

If you are nervous about the sanding, Talon grips makes a stick on "rubber texture grip" that may soften that Gen4 stubble. Just make you specify the rubber grips, the graphite version is almost like sandpaper.

http://talongungrips.com/grips/glock/19 ... 32-38.html

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:06 pm

Neptune Glory wrote:
cemoulton wrote:this is why i have gen 3's.

I like this idea a lot. Even if I screw this up, I can sand down my mistake later.

Thanks!
-Neptune
Just remember the frame is the firearm, and you can never really add more on to it.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:19 pm

I'll add my vote for wearing a tee. I wear a tee under the holster even when I am wearing jeans and a graphic tee as a cover shirt. I call my cover shirts with unusual sayings "Urban Camoflage" because I figure if they are reading the tee they are not looking at my hip. Sort of like a magician's misdirection.

I also wear Perry suspenders under the cover shirt but over the inner tee. This makes it more comfortable for the suspenders too and I don't have to keep hiking my pants up from the weight of the gun and mag. After a while you get so used to wearing the two tees it feels weird not wearing them both. At first I thought I would be to warm in the summer with the extra layer but once you get used to it you don't even notice it. Of course we only get a few days in the 90's here each summer and I just try to stay inside in AC on those days.

I recall that the Guinness book of world records used to list the highest survivable temperature for a human clothed was higher than unclothed.

Return to “Handguns”