Ruger Redhawk and the 45 colt

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Siggy01

Ruger Redhawk and the 45 colt

Post by Siggy01 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:14 pm

I have a fair amount of semi auto pistols and rifles. A couple .357 and .38 revolvers too. I'd like to add 1 more to my collection and figure I'd step it up into the big bore gang. Having only gone up to .357 mag and 10mm, I'm not too sure what to expect in .41 mag and beyond. I figure of course a heavier gun would help soak up some recoil as well as a good grip. I've looked at several brands but really enjoy my rugers when it comes to revolvers. The model I'm really leaning towards is the Redhawk in .45 colt with the 4.50 barrel and hogue monogrip. I can get one for around $750ish. Does anyone have experience with this gun or caliber in general? It'll mostly be a safe queen and range toy. I might get into reloading as well if I fall in love with it. Thanks for the input.
"What do you mean pass the salt!? Just eat me and get it over with!"

Stercutus

Re: Ruger Redhawk and the 45 colt

Post by Stercutus » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:02 pm

Siggy01 wrote:I have a fair amount of semi auto pistols and rifles. A couple .357 and .38 revolvers too. I'd like to add 1 more to my collection and figure I'd step it up into the big bore gang. Having only gone up to .357 mag and 10mm, I'm not too sure what to expect in .41 mag and beyond. I figure of course a heavier gun would help soak up some recoil as well as a good grip. I've looked at several brands but really enjoy my rugers when it comes to revolvers. The model I'm really leaning towards is the Redhawk in .45 colt with the 4.50 barrel and hogue monogrip. I can get one for around $750ish. Does anyone have experience with this gun or caliber in general? It'll mostly be a safe queen and range toy. I might get into reloading as well if I fall in love with it. Thanks for the input.
I'd rather have a Blackhawk in .44 magnum for half the price.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Siggy01

Post by Siggy01 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:11 pm

I gave the blackhawks a look. I'd rather have a double action and swing out cylinder though. Very nice guns though and lots of calibers.

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:44 am

I had a Blackhawk in 45 Colt with a 7.5 inch barrel. It was a kinda fun range toy. Good for making fruit explode. Not as good as the .44 magnum unless you reload or buy buffalo bore ammo or something. I sold it because it weighed almost as much as a light rifle and exploded fruit attracts yellow jackets. I tried someones 6" S&W .500 magnum and liked the grip and general balance much more. Costs more like $1,000 and dem bullets be high. Fucks up watermelons real good.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:05 am

I've got some experience with the red hawk in 45 colt, with factory loads its a pussy cat. You really have to hand load to get the most out of the caliber. With hand loads I've killed hogs and deer easily with one. Its a fun round.
ZS#4545

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:05 am

I have a Ruger Blackhawk convertible in .45 LC/.45ACP... absolutely love the ability to shoot both rounds, however, I would not have purchased it if it were .45LC on its own.

The standard .45 LC loads are no different than the .45 ACP when it comes to ballistics and sizes, etc. You can handload or buy hot Buffalo Bore ammo that will turn a timid .45LC into a fire breathing dragon. The .45LC is a handlaoders nirvana, however, handloading and buying hot ammo is super PRICEY!!! With good loads, the .45LC will get up into .44 Mag and maybe even weak .454 casull ranges... but that will cost you.

I would just go ahead and get a .44 Mag as any Walmart will carry potent ammo for it, potent ammo for my .45LC has to be special ordered. Many double actions are available in .44 mag, Ruger Redhawks being my favorite. I would also consider a Ruger SA Blackhawk as they are the toughest guns with a sweeeeet single action trigger. I can easily (well... sometimes...) hit a paperplate at 100 yards with mine.

But, keep researching and good luck with your puchase!!!
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:03 pm

My dad's got a 7.5' Redhawk in 44 mag. Bought it used and it looks like is been throw out of a moving vehicle on the freeway. It's a tough gun. I've loaded all kinds of 300 gr + extend length loads and it hasn't missed a beat. I imagine that and Redhawk in good condition is G2G.

...and with the 45LC Redhawk you can load the "Ruger Only" loads :awesome:
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:24 am

Just to throw my hat in the mix, I also thought about a 45colt vs .44mag in a Levergun/revolver combo and I went with .44mag. Like others have said factory rounds in 45 colt are basically the same strength as a .45apc / .44 special. You can make it hotter but you need to reload or get specialty Buffalo Bore ammo. .44mag factory ammo is much more powerful, and if you want to go tamers you can just drop down to .44 special. I have no problems finding 44 mag ammo, even in walmart. If you go with the 45 Colt I would opt for the 45acp conversion cylinder.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:52 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:Just to throw my hat in the mix, I also thought about a 45colt vs .44mag in a Levergun/revolver combo and I went with .44mag. Like others have said factory rounds in 45 colt are basically the same strength as a .45apc / .44 special. You can make it hotter but you need to reload or get specialty Buffalo Bore ammo. .44mag factory ammo is much more powerful, and if you want to go tamers you can just drop down to .44 special. I have no problems finding 44 mag ammo, even in walmart. If you go with the 45 Colt I would opt for the 45acp conversion cylinder.
The Redhawk has no conversion cylinder.

.45LC can be had in "cowboy" loads as well as .44Mag specs.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:53 am

I've had Super Redhawks and Redhawks in .44 Mag and a Blackhawk in 45LC. All had the 7 1/4" (or thereabouts) barrel. These are fine blasters. I never shot anything bigger than varmints on the farm with the 45 LC.

There's was an old article I read in a Gun Digest from the 70's that warned about 45 LC blowing cylinder walls out if handloads were way underpowered. It was thought the slower bullet allowed too much time before the bullet entered the barrel to allow venting at the cylinder-barrel gap. I've never heard of this phenomenon in other calibres.

Make sure you not only stay under max loads, but also over min recommended loads if you reload 45 LC....just in case.
Boldly going nowhere

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:32 pm

Zimmy wrote: There's was an old article I read in a Gun Digest from the 70's that warned about 45 LC blowing cylinder walls out if handloads were way underpowered. It was thought the slower bullet allowed too much time before the bullet entered the barrel to allow venting at the cylinder-barrel gap. I've never heard of this phenomenon in other calibres.

Make sure you not only stay under max loads, but also over min recommended loads if you reload 45 LC....just in case.
Based on the time period, they may have had quantities of "balloon head" brass in circulation, and the last time I heard of it, it was in .45LC.

Recent vintage brass on the left, balloon head brass on the right. Revolver cylinders pre-1986 or so were counterbored so the case was supported all the way including the rim to accommodate this sort of brass. With modern manufactured ammo the head is solid and able to withstand higher pressure. Modern revolvers leave the rim outside the cylinders for simplicity.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Siggy01

Post by Siggy01 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:22 pm

Update: After doing a bunch of browsing and reading I've decided on a Ruger 0814 Super Blackhawk stainless in .44 mag. The ammo is more readily available and I'd be able to shoot .44 special too. Plus the gun is about $250 bucks cheaper than the redhawk. :awesome:

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:06 pm

That's what I did!
FYI: 300 grainers are a bitch.

It stops being funny when it starts being you.

minengr

Post by minengr » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:58 pm

I've got a 44mag SBH that is stupid accurate. Still waiting for the chance to use it during deer season.

I've also got a couple Blackhawks in 45LC. I like them both, but if you don't plan to reload, the 44mag is probably the better choice. There are a bunch of articles/threads on the web discussing hot to hotrod the 45. You can achieve some impressive results. It can really come alive in a levergun, again with reloads.

I think you'll be happy with the 44mag.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:12 pm

Glad you decided to go with the .44mag, much more capable for the big bore duties. And I don't know about your area, but .45lc is stupidly expensive here, and everyone I know that shoots its reloads.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:21 pm

.44 Mag isn't a bad choice. Though in my area, .44 Special is expensive and hard to find. So shooting it as an alternative is hardly worth it. I went with the .45 Long Colt Rugers simply because I did cowboy action shooting, and reload. I ended up with a 7.5 inch Blackhawk to go with my Vaqueros. The old Vaqueros, which are just Blackhawks dressed up as cowboy guns. I have always wanted a Redhawk to go with them, but I just can't justify it when there are so many other toys and projects demanding attention. Your gun should give you an all-around pistol capable of doing just about anything, depending on what you load it with. And if you don't already reload, I would heartily suggest you start A gun like that just begs to be used as a test bed for different loads. Everything from light wadcutters for rabbits to hard-cast bullets for big game. Good luck, and enjoy it.

-Mb

Return to “Handguns”