Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Need a cheap(ish) .22LR revolver

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:31 pm

So I find myself in need of something to carry at the ranch for snakes. I always have one of my .45s (some flavor of 1911 or a G21), or sometimes even one of our Ruger SR22s on my hip but they (semi-autos) won't reliably cycle snake shot.

Thought about getting a Judge or similar and loading it w/#6 .410 shot shells but that's way overkill for my needs... Besides I have a dozen boxes or so of .22 snake shot already in hand!

Just need a secondary, preferably very lightweight DA, .22 revolver to have when out clearing brush, etc.

This gun will never in any foreseeable circumstance be a daily carry weapon...or even my primary carry at the ranch so I don't need the most expensive thing out there. Looking at Rugers but $500 is way more than I really want to spend for this single-purpose tool.

Before I start trolling local pawn shops looking for deals, any recommendations for a reliable...but relatively cheap....22LR revolver?
Last edited by 91Eunozs on Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

manowar1313

Re: Need a cheap(ish) .22LR revolver

Post by manowar1313 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:38 pm

I highly recommend the Heritage Rough Rider. It's a SA but very reliable and almost indestructible. You can pick them up with the .22/mag for under $200. I also have an FIE E15 Buffalo Scout, it's older but I've got good use out of it, those value around $75.
I would also recommend the H&R 999 if it has to be DA.
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:42 pm

Thanks! And thanks for the quick reply... I'll check those out.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:58 pm

Traditions imports a few .22 revolvers made by Pietta in Italy. Heritage also does the same, but I believe final assembly is done stateside. Either way, they're good little single actions for the money. You're not getting a Colt or even a Ruger as far as fit/finish is concerned, but all the one I've seen have been plenty reliable and accurate for ranch work.

Rednex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Rednex » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:22 pm

North American Arms mini revolver in .22lr or mag? They are tiny and all i never fired one just one i thought of.
I fly the flag of black and red, the sight fills you with fear and dread. For you know with it i will come.

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:55 pm

Rednex wrote:North American Arms mini revolver in .22lr or mag? They are tiny and all i never fired one just one i thought of.
I've look at the NAA as a CCW but maybe a bit small for this also not sure what snake shot would do in a 1in barrel. I use to keep my hrr with snake and hollow point because I never knew what I may have to shoot at.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:24 pm

7-8 years ago I bought a H&R 922 .22LR 9-shot revolver. I don't remember exactly how much I paid for it (think I got it as part a trade). They're usually going somewhere in the $125 to $180 range though from what I've seen. It's a no frills revolver to the point it doesn't even have an ejector (you just drag out the empties with your fingernail or take the cylinder off altogether and punch em out with the center-pin), but it works and it would work for the purpose you're intending it. H&R has a ton of different models though, many with actual ejectors.

Look at the various H&R longer barreled revolvers or try to buy a used Ruger Single Six off someone. Just a thought on the H&R's, they are inexpensive, they're all over the South and the do work.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:06 pm

Rednex wrote:North American Arms mini revolver in .22lr or mag? They are tiny and all i never fired one just one i thought of.
I thought about that since my Deputy usually has one in his pocket (tertiary carry gun for him...calls it his Speedo carry gun! :lol: ), but it seems too small.

I'll see if he'll let me put a few rounds of snake shot through it to see how it feels and how it patterns at 3-5 yards.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:36 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
I thought about that since my Deputy usually has one in his pocket (tertiary carry gun for him...calls it his Speedo carry gun! :lol: ), but it seems too small.

I'll see if he'll let me put a few rounds of snake shot through it to see how it feels and how it patterns at 3-5 yards.
Make a show of wiping it off with a baby wipe first. :lol:
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:09 pm

nice! :lol:

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:26 pm

Browning 35 wrote:7-8 years ago I bought a H&R 922 .22LR 9-shot revolver. I don't remember exactly how much I paid for it (think I got it as part a trade). They're usually going somewhere in the $125 to $180 range though from what I've seen. It's a no frills revolver to the point it doesn't even have an ejector (you just drag out the empties with your fingernail or take the cylinder off altogether and punch em out with the center-pin), but it works and it would work for the purpose you're intending it. H&R has a ton of different models though, many with actual ejectors.

Look at the various H&R longer barreled revolvers or try to buy a used Ruger Single Six off someone. Just a thought on the H&R's, they are inexpensive, they're all over the South and the do work.
The early model didn't have ejectors, they added one to the 922, does your cylinder have a silver band on the muzzle side of the cylinder?

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:50 pm

I'm not a fan of RGs.

Germany made a lot of good single actions sold in America in the 50s and 60s. I think they were marked as made in Westphalia.
Boldly going nowhere

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:08 pm

Zimmy wrote:I'm not a fan of RGs.

Germany made a lot of good single actions sold in America in the 50s and 60s. I think they were marked as made in Westphalia.
The single 6 and LCR are both good weapons but they are definitely not cheap. The Taurus also seems decent and I've shot a Rossi DA and it wasn't bad either just not what I would call a cheap gun.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:23 pm

Yup...

I really like the .22 LCR (and what I had in mind until I saw the price), but that's a lot more than I want to spend for a tool with but a single purpose.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:36 pm

For something like that, hit a gun show. There's always cheap rimfires hanging around. Almost snagged a Taurus for a c-note this weekend, but I already have one too many wheelguns to maintain my anti-revolver reputation.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

veamon

Post by veamon » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:11 pm

I have a Judge, and I don't think it would be overkill for your needs. Load 3 chambers with 410, 2 with 45, and you should be covered.

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:40 pm

veamon wrote:I have a Judge, and I don't think it would be overkill for your needs. Load 3 chambers with 410, 2 with 45, and you should be covered.
It probably would be overkill, but there is a reason overkill is so highly rated. I don't have a lot of experience with the Judge but I think for almost $500 less the heritage will do the same job.

Murgatroy

Post by Murgatroy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:59 pm

manowar1313 wrote:I highly recommend the Heritage Rough Rider. It's a SA but very reliable and almost indestructible. You can pick them up with the .22/mag for under $200.
I have a handful of these, as everyone in the family loves shooting them. My oldest one has a dozen or more bricks through it easily. It is scuffed and scratched up, but still shoots POA at 10 yards. I can spend all afternoon dancing spent shotgun shell hulls down the range with them. For the price, I think everyone should have one.

Another option for a couple dollars more, and just as or arguably more versatile would be an Armscor M200 series revolver in .38SPL. They normally run <$230 and are double action.

As far as double action .22LR/Mag pistols go, you are looking at Taurus low end of the price scale, and last time I looked they start around the $350 range. This is talking new of course.
Yoda for President

Return to “Handguns”