Next Handgun Purchase Walther PPQ

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Next Handgun Purchase Walther PPQ

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:47 pm

After a lot of research I have decided that my next firearm purchase will be the Walther PPQ in 9mm. I may get the Walther PPQ M2 although I don't mind the European mag release as I am used to that style having owned an HK45.

Walther PPQ 9mm

Pros
1. Excellent Out of the box trigger. Smooth Short Trigger Reset
2. Medium size frame Handgun with a 4 inch barrel
3. Weighs in at only 24.5 ounces with empty magazine
4. Excellent Ergonomics with great textured and three interchangeable back straps
5. Salt water ressistent Tennifer Finish slide with front and back serrations
6. Adjustable rear sights.
7. Last but not least. Extremely accurate.

Cons
1. Lack of Assessories (May change in the future)
2. Price of Magazines
3. Magazine capacity as of now is 15 rounds (May change in the future)
"ZomCon: A better life through containment"

Morgo

Re: Next Handgun Purchase Walther PPQ

Post by Morgo » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:16 pm

Nice choice. I have had one for over a year now, the most impressive aspect when I bought it was the trigger. For a polymer handgun it is excellent.

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:07 pm

I am actually liking the amount of responses to my thread. This means that this handgun has not yet caught the attention of most and prices should then stay down.

This is probably the nicest polymer handgun I have ever had the pleasure to behold

If it is as accurate as I have seen it in youtube gun reviews then yes it is.

Hopefully all of those Glock Fanboys out there keep telling their friends to buy Glock :wink:

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:31 pm

I have heard a lot of great things about them via the internet, but have never been able to find one on island to either fondle or shoot. I don't believe they have an option to ship with 10 round magazines, so none of the stores stock them. You can put a special order in and ask the store to block the magazine, but most people just buy the Glocks or MPs.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

hestenet

Post by hestenet » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:42 pm

I'd recommend a Dawson .100 front and a 10-8 rear sight.

ZSC011 | Fall MBO '12 | My 40lb, 4 season BOB - full thread coming soon.

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:41 pm

So in my intial post I mentioned one of the Cons of the PPQ is the 15 round magazine capacity and was unaware at the time that Walther does make 17 round magazines. Also I read somewhere that MecGar has started making 20 rounders but have not been able to confirm that as of yet.

Well today I put down some cash and reserved a Walther PPQ M2 Tactical Navy which comes with one of the standard 15 round mags and one 17 round mag.

After watching several reviews on youtube of this firearm I am still shocked that it has not caught on in the US market.

Perhaps it is due to the M1 "European Style" magazine release when it was first being shipped to the US. Now they have the PPQ M2 which has the more traditional push button mag release. I actually like the paddle or "European Style" a little better and would have liked that instead, however I really wanted the PPQ Tactical Navy and after searching high and low I could only find a PPQ M2 Tactical Navy. No biggie really.

Unfortunately mine will not have night sights so I will have to purchase some. At least mags are available for it unlike my Smith and Wesson M&P9c. Those things must be made from Unobtainium or something! :lol: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium

So I will most likely purchase two more 17 round mags and two more 15 rounders for it.

Here are a few very positive reviews by some of the top firearms reviewers on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_QhiTa-7OA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcV7l4AjeXk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzvALwhUbjQ

In this vid she fires 1500 rounds of factory ammo (different brands) without cleaning (besides an intial cleaning) in -34 temp conditions without so much as a hiccup!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrILu-FdsUI

Murgatroy

Post by Murgatroy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:58 pm

I guess it could be an age thing, but I think of 'European Style' mag releases to be a heel type.

I have no personal experience with the PPQ, but a coworker has one and he swears it is the most awesome pistol ever.
Yoda for President

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:26 pm

So my PPQ is the Tactical Navy M2 that comes with a 4.6 inch threaded barrel. I may opt to purchase a standard 4 inch barrel for it for CCW as that will be a little more comfortable. I just bought another 17 round factory magazine and this coming weekend I plan on purchasing two more 17 round mags and eventually two more.

Cabelas sells them for $39.99 before tax and Gander Mountain for $47.99 before tax!!!

Then a IWB holster and Trijicon Night Sights or possibly some Dawson Precision Night sights.

I have decided against a weapon light and laser as the only models out there that meet my technical requirements (waterproof) are way too beefy. If Crimson Trace comes out with a Laser Grip for the PPQ and keep it down to the Medium size grip panel then I will be all over that!

hestenet

At first looking at your Dawson sights I didn't really like the rear sights but the more and more I see them I do like them. However I still think I will go with a three dot system. Do you use your PPQ for competition?
Last edited by ZomCon Sargeant on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airmandan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by airmandan » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:10 pm

You will absolutely hate..... how awesome of a pistol this thing is. The trigger is on freaking point. I think this thing should be the Glock killer.

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:27 pm

airmandan wrote:You will absolutely hate..... how awesome of a pistol this thing is. The trigger is on freaking point. I think this thing should be the Glock killer.
Yeah folks out there said that the Springfield XD's would be the Glock Killer then the Smith and Wesson M&P's would be the next Glock killer (Which if it wasn't for the trigger they would have been) and now people are saying this about the Walther PPQ. I seriously believe that the PPQ is the Glock Killer. Just my own opinion and others.

I forgot to mention that I will also be adding a DPM Recoil Reduction Guide Rod and Spring to my PPQ.

http://www.zahal.org/products/recoil-re ... alther-ppq

There really isn't a whole lot you can do to make this handgun any better than it already is out of the box except for adding night sights, recoil reduction system, and perhaps Talon grips. I personally think the grip texture on it is just fine as is but some prefer a little more aggressive texture.

I like the fact that it is totally ambidextrous even though I am right handed. Why? because if I had to switch to my left hand for what ever reason. I always be sure to shoot at least one magazine with my left hand (one handed style) when I go shooting for practice.

The only other thing I can think of that I would like better with the PPQ is if it had a Polygonal Rifled Barrel. I am a sucker for the Polygonal Barrels. My HK45 and IWI/Magnum Research Baby Eagle II have Polygonal Rifled Barrels and are super high quality.

So if the Walther PPQ had the following it would be PERFECT.
1. Steel Factory Tritium Night Sights
2. Three 17 Round Magazines with the Gun
3. Steel Guide Rod with Recoil Reduction Spring
4. Polygonal Rifled Barrel
5. Same "sandpaper" Texture Grip as with the HK45 or HK P30

The HK VP9 is the common contender with the PPQ however I personally like the PPQ a little more. I don't like the loaded chamber indicator, rear slide "wings", smooth rear sights (even though they are steel), or the different slide catch levers on each side??? on the HK VP9. However there are some things I like better with the VP9 over the PPQ.

spanningtree
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Post by spanningtree » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:04 pm

Looks pretty cool. If they had plans to do the M2 in .45 I'd take a look.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:37 pm

We had a store here recently beginning to regularly stock and sell the VP9s with night sights for $649. They've been selling like crazy. No doubt if the PPQ ever makes it's way to the island it'll be a hit.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

spanningtree
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Post by spanningtree » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:01 pm

The VP09 has been selling like crazy here also (NV). I played with one at the shop and it was cool and all but once again the .45 issue crops up. The price was great for and HK but I'm trying to keep my caliber count in check. :) Next time I'm at the shop I am going to take a closer look at the Walther though.

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:48 pm

spanningtree

Yeah that would be awesome if Walther developed a PPQ in .45ACP! Currently my favorite .45ACP Polymer handgun is the HK45 (not USP model) but if this happened then I would have to say it would be the PPQ in .45ACP. But just by a hair.

I highly recommend that you do fondle the PPQ during your next shop visit. And remember that the M1 model has the paddle mag release lever and the M2 has the push button mag release. So whatever works for you. Be sure to test the reset on the trigger. WARNING: If you do you will fall in love with the trigger!

My local shop sells the regular 4 inch PPQ for $605.00 and the 4.6 inch PPQ Tactical Navy for $657.00. The 5 inch "Competition Ready" PPQ for $702.00

Other big name chain outfitters out there are selling the 4 inch PPQ's for roughly around $650.00

I predicted that the FNX handguns would jump $100-200 in price back when they first hit the shelves and a year or so later they did. Same with the PX4. They went from $450 up to $585. I am refering to the standard modes here. I predict that by 2016 the Walther PPQ 4 inch will be selling on average for $675-700. When they first hit the shelves back in 2011 they were running anywhere from $500-575.

I believe they are finally starting to catch on in the US market as the last time I visited one of my local Big name outfitters that had the PPQ in the display case two weeks earlier did not have it last time I stoped in. Not to have it in their display case could mean only one thing... they are out of stock at that location.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:55 am

I have no experience with them, but I hear people love them...

... However, my local gun store HATES dealing with Walther customer service because IF there is an issue (rare, but happens) they normally like to blame the operator and say "you must have done something wrong" in typical German fashion :) Walther and S&W also do not have a partnership any longer.

But good luck!! I am sure you will love your pistol!!!!
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:07 pm

I plan on taking my PPQ to the range sometime in the next couple of weeks and will be sure to post a range report here after. Possibly with some Zombie target head shot pics :)

I have been on the hunt for some quality HPR ammunition with no success so I guess it will have to be good old Winchester White Box and some Fiocchi FMJ.

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:30 pm

Ok I promised a range report. Sorry no Zombie target pics. Next time for sure.

Shot 205 rounds at the range. Ammunition used: Winchester White Box FMJ 115gr, Fiocchi FMJ 115gr, American Eagle FMJ 115gr, Winchester PDX1 Defender +P JHP 124gr.

I averaged 1-1/2 - 2 inch groups at 21 feet (7yards)

Reliability Report:
FTF: 0
FTE: 0

I actually got tighter groups with the Win +P JHP ammo. About 1 - 1-1/2 inche groups at 21 feet.

I have now installed the DPM Recoil Reduction Sysytem and Trijicon Night Sights on my PPQ and can't wait to take it back to the firing range.

I will be sure to buy some Zombie Targets next time.

Dioxin

Post by Dioxin » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:57 am

ZomCon Sargeant wrote:I have now installed the DPM Recoil Reduction Sysytem and Trijicon Night Sights on my PPQ and can't wait to take it back to the firing range.
Do you have an update on this?

I've a First Edition model PPQ with around 1000 rounds through it(Actual Round count is with the gun). Only had a single failure to eject, But I would ascribe the failure to user error (end of her first day, final round of the day, and she has a very slight frame) I've had no issue whatever with the pistol, just the user :-P

Ammo used, Magtech 115gr FMJ.

The gun is currently stock.

I deliberately went with the First Edition Model, I wanted ambidextrous mag release and have heard stories of the M2 having a less comfortable grip due to mag release. (I wanted the Navy model but in the end went with what was on hand)

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:10 pm

Dioxin wrote:
ZomCon Sargeant wrote:I have now installed the DPM Recoil Reduction Sysytem and Trijicon Night Sights on my PPQ and can't wait to take it back to the firing range.
Do you have an update on this?

I've a First Edition model PPQ with around 1000 rounds through it(Actual Round count is with the gun). Only had a single failure to eject, But I would ascribe the failure to user error (end of her first day, final round of the day, and she has a very slight frame) I've had no issue whatever with the pistol, just the user :-P

Ammo used, Magtech 115gr FMJ.

The gun is currently stock.

I deliberately went with the First Edition Model, I wanted ambidextrous mag release and have heard stories of the M2 having a less comfortable grip due to mag release. (I wanted the Navy model but in the end went with what was on hand)
Sorry for the late response.

Yes I fired my PPQ M2 Navy 9mm with the DPM recoil reduction system for the first time a few weeks back and used 50 rounds of Fiocchii 115gr. FMJ and 17 rounds of ASYM 115gr. JHP.

I had installed the spring for +P ammo use a couple of weeks before and while at the range I was using non +P ammo and had three FTF out of the 67 rounds fired. Next time I go to the range I will use the correct spring. The DPM Recoil Reduction System for the PPQ comes with two springs to choose from non +P and +P springs.

Did I notice reduced recoil? I have to be honest. Not really. :(

As of right now I installed the Walther Factory Spring just to play it safe as I use my PPQ for my nightstand gun.

Sorry I know this doesn't help much.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:45 am

Thanks for the info. My buddy was looking at one for his girlfriend, and since he has a spending habit of buying "things", I am sure those springs would be someting he would purchase. I will now tell him to steer clear if he picks up the pistol. Much appreciated!!
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:49 am

hestenet wrote:I'd recommend a Dawson .100 front and a 10-8 rear sight.

Gingerbread Man has something like that on his Glock 42. I have shot it some. I like those sights. Fiberoptics are pretty sweet.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:55 am

ZomCon Sargeant wrote:
airmandan wrote:You will absolutely hate..... how awesome of a pistol this thing is. The trigger is on freaking point. I think this thing should be the Glock killer.
Yeah folks out there said that the Springfield XD's would be the Glock Killer then the Smith and Wesson M&P's would be the next Glock killer (Which if it wasn't for the trigger they would have been) and now people are saying this about the Walther PPQ. I seriously believe that the PPQ is the Glock Killer. Just my own opinion and others.

I forgot to mention that I will also be adding a DPM Recoil Reduction Guide Rod and Spring to my PPQ.

http://www.zahal.org/products/recoil-re ... alther-ppq

There really isn't a whole lot you can do to make this handgun any better than it already is out of the box except for adding night sights, recoil reduction system, and perhaps Talon grips. I personally think the grip texture on it is just fine as is but some prefer a little more aggressive texture.

I like the fact that it is totally ambidextrous even though I am right handed. Why? because if I had to switch to my left hand for what ever reason. I always be sure to shoot at least one magazine with my left hand (one handed style) when I go shooting for practice.

The only other thing I can think of that I would like better with the PPQ is if it had a Polygonal Rifled Barrel. I am a sucker for the Polygonal Barrels. My HK45 and IWI/Magnum Research Baby Eagle II have Polygonal Rifled Barrels and are super high quality.

So if the Walther PPQ had the following it would be PERFECT.
1. Steel Factory Tritium Night Sights
2. Three 17 Round Magazines with the Gun
3. Steel Guide Rod with Recoil Reduction Spring
4. Polygonal Rifled Barrel
5. Same "sandpaper" Texture Grip as with the HK45 or HK P30

The HK VP9 is the common contender with the PPQ however I personally like the PPQ a little more. I don't like the loaded chamber indicator, rear slide "wings", smooth rear sights (even though they are steel), or the different slide catch levers on each side??? on the HK VP9. However there are some things I like better with the VP9 over the PPQ.
Have there been torture tests done on it? Not that this is especially difficult, but until there are a shitload of them many people will not consider it a Glock replacement. Got to establish those reliability bona fides.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

Lodewijk

Post by Lodewijk » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:45 pm

I've had my plain-jane 9mm PPQ M2 since February and my experiences have been strongly positive. The trigger hype delivers. I run a .125" Dawson FO front and their black Charger rear, works well so far.

Carries very well in a JM Custom Kydex appendix rig, but I've only had that for a week. Raven finally started making Phantoms for it, which was great because my FO front was eating the Bravo Concealment OWB I was using just from dryfire. Got a Raven cut for suppressor sights and that issue went away.

As much as I like it, it's not revolutionary or anything - it's a P99 with a major trigger upgrade. Which means it's a little flippy like a P99, and has expensive factory magazines like a P99 (or actually uses late-gen P99 magazines, if you have a paddle release). But it also carries well for its size like a P99, and shares sights with the P99 (so night sights & fiber optics are readily available), and changing sights yourself is a breeze. I did have to give my Dawson rear a couple of passes with a hobby file to get it to fit, but I'd rather do that than have it be too small.

In a weird way I actually liked that the stock sights were polymer cheapies - if I'm going to toss them anyway, I'd rather not have Walther charge me a few bucks more for painted steel three-dots.
Redeyes wrote: Have there been torture tests done on it? Not that this is especially difficult, but until there are a shitload of them many people will not consider it a Glock replacement. Got to establish those reliability bona fides.
At the core, we're still talking about a P99 variant so the basic system has been around since 1996. My guess is any testing the P99 went through for European police agencies or the Finnish military would be at least somewhat useful there.

Dioxin

Post by Dioxin » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:12 am

I've about 1500 rounds through mine, and I've had a couple of failures I can attribute to user error, either in cleaning or rubbing the slide with my grip.

The biggest draw for me is the grip and the trigger. I now have 6 Factory 17 round mags, as
I'm ramping up to IPSC production division with it.

I should probably replace the sights, but I'll consider that once I get enough training under my belt.

Return to “Handguns”