How often do you switch up your EDC?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

How often do you switch up your EDC?

Post by Smash05 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:09 pm

I try to assess what my EDC CCW needs are on a more or less regular basis, limiting factor being can I schedule range time to practice etc. Years ago I had settled on a J-Frame for carry after concealing a P229 or 1911. My idea had been to pocket carry the J-Frame and keep the larger framed semi auto in my shoulder bag, or when possible strong side for the semi, weak side pocket carry for the j-frame. I ditched the J-Frame for a number of reasons I won't get into, but settled on just carrying the 229. Several years ago I decided to switch it up again, and ended up with an LC9 - a firearm that worked, was accurate enough, and allowed nominally for pocket carry. I tried to use this with spare mags as a single carry - and for the most part it worked. However I always felt it lacked in capacity and I never fully got used to the Loaded Chamber Indicator, and drawing this particular firearm from the pocket never quite worked as well as the J-Frame. Last year I started carrying a CZ82 with spare mags, with the occasional backup of the LC9 with no spares. I felt I had more capacity/options - and stuck with this until recently. I just now again have switched to the LCR (revolver) with a M&P9c or CZ82 - and I like this best of all. Likely I am going sell the LC9 now as I feel it is now duplicative. I still own the 229 and 1911, along with others, but they are not really considered for carry. Anyone else on a journey for perfection? Feel free to discuss also I do like to have a backup gun on my person if possible - which is the reason for the dual carry theme.
Those who are prepared to help themselves, are prepared to help others.

alptraum

Re: How often do you switch up your EDC?

Post by alptraum » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:32 pm

I'm happy with my choices and haven't made any changes in quite awhile. Typically I carry a G26 and a carrier that holds a G17 mag and a surefire light. Wardrobe permitting (typically in coat and jacket season) I also frequently carry a S&W 442 with a spare speed strip in addition to the Glock. Sometimes I'll carry a larger Glock, but about 90% of the time it's the G26 with a +2 mag. I use a few different holsters depending on what I'm doing and wearing.

mbaz73
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead '78
Dawn of the Dead '04
28 Days Later - although not technically a zombie movie

Post by mbaz73 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:15 pm

Smash05 wrote:Anyone else on a journey for perfection?
Wish I had the money...just a SR9c for me everyday.
BLOG | YOUTUBE

11 Bravo
"If the enemy is in range, so are you."
"If your attack is going too well, you’re walking into an ambush."
"Try to look unimportant; they may be low on ammo."
- Infantry Journal

AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Smash05 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:16 pm

mbaz73 wrote:
Smash05 wrote:Anyone else on a journey for perfection?
Wish I had the money...just a SR9c for me everyday.
Good choice for those of us here in Massachusetts.
Those who are prepared to help themselves, are prepared to help others.

ArmchairRacer

Post by ArmchairRacer » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:25 am

I just carry a J frame in my pocket, I've only been CCWing for a few months but I've yet to feel a desire to switch things up. Maybe after I get a Glock 41 I'll see if I can conceal that IWB.

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:57 am

Occasionally I'll swap out the KelTec for the 1911 IWB. When I shop for clothes and try them on, EDC goes in the pockets before I buy.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:47 am

Today:

CRKT folder, car and house key ring, work key ring, handkerchief, pen, iPhone, work badge, 5.11 taclight, gerber multi tool, snuff, wallet, breath mints, Specterlink, pager, a few work specific small tools, and lady smith air weight .38.

I'll change knives on a whim. I upsize to a Taurus 24/7 .45 or even a P14-45 (car gun) and extra mags with increased threat level.

I try to avoid increased threat levels. All this stuff makes me feel like Batman already.
Boldly going nowhere

BJMadden85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of them...

Post by BJMadden85 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:58 pm

It's all about your frame, holster/bag used, and position of carry. Your frame depends on what handgun you can conceal. My size allows me to carry a full size 1911 well enough. I have a compact version for when clothing worn is limited or when I have to carry at the kidney IWB and a full size for a hoodie or jacket. Although now I switched to carrying the full size all time front left. I have a simple leather IWB holster that works, but I'm looking for some sorta kydex IWB holster for comfort and to secure the pistol better. Also my friend has has a smaller frame than me, but carries a full size 1911 too. He uses a Remora holster which is an awesome holster because its made of a rubber material that is kinda grabby so he can tuck it IWB and it stays. Just some things to think about.
Brandon J. Madden, Esq.
ZS member
ZSC:017

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear. -Mark Twain

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:32 am

CRKT folder and a smaller cheap-o gerber, Keys w/small tools, Phone, Wallet, extra cash hidden on my person.

I need some new shades and a flashlight. I carried some no name little stainless steel light for a long time. I lost it in the woods last fall. I need to learn to wear a watch. My job doesn't allow for CCW, but when I do it tends to be my Ruger LCR (IWB or Pocket) or a S&W 360 scandium when I OWB. I carry speed strip for either. Its not Ideal. I'd like to switch to a Shield 9mm with a few nice holsters and get a really nice flash light. I tried a G26, just too thick for me to carry comfortable. I'd like a better quality knife, too.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

steppenwolf

Post by steppenwolf » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:22 pm

Zimmy wrote:Today:
CRKT folder, car and house key ring, work key ring, handkerchief, pen, iPhone, work badge, 5.11 taclight, gerber multi tool, snuff, wallet, breath mints, Specterlink, pager, a few work specific small tools, and lady smith air weight .38.

I'll change knives on a whim. I upsize to a Taurus 24/7 .45 or even a P14-45 (car gun) and extra mags with increased threat level.

I try to avoid increased threat levels. All this stuff makes me feel like Batman already.
And that's just to go to Starbucks, right? :shock:

Kiddin' ... :lol:

LWJ2014
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Land of the Dead

Post by LWJ2014 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:25 pm

Not very often at all. I tend to carry as little as possible so I don't lose anything.

M&P9C with a spare mag and holster.
CRKT M21 Folder this is the new knife that I just added.
Key ring.
Lighter.
IPHONE
Wallet

charlie fox

Post by charlie fox » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:57 am

My knives might change every once in awhile, but I rarely, if ever, change my EDC pistols. The reason; muscle memory - I know where they are and how they shoot. I've never understood the whole "Gun du 'jour" thing...
"Lawyers, Guns and Money"

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:12 pm

I wish I could keep a gun in my glove box, but alas no guns on base :/

Anyway my main EDC is an SP101 .357. For me its super easy to wear, comfortable, and powerful. I am not so accurate with the double action trigger (though still pretty accurate) and it only has 5 rounds, but I would be using it defensively or to escape a bad situation.

Sometimes I carry a G26 or LCP or now G19, and I have carried a SR9c before I traded it away, but really, I just am most comfortable with the SP101.

As far as other stuff, I usually have a folder of some sort, probably a gerber, and a flashlight. Almost certinally a pen. And my wallet and iPhone.

Shotgunner1992

Post by Shotgunner1992 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:22 am

I jump between my Zastava M83/93 Revolver and a FEG Browning Hi Power, both are great but I love my revolver!
Security work is my life.

Future Airman.
Security Forces.

---

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:01 am

I flip it around once every 4-5 years. It's usually based on something changing though.

Reasons such as these...
  • Deciding that I have too much sentimental attachment to one knife to possibly lose it and going with something that's $30+ instead of $190-or whatever they're up to now. So the Al Mar SERE 2000 finally got retired for a $30-something Kershaw Needs Work.
  • Breaking the scaphoid bone in my right wrist and the only lefty holster being for a BHP. Gradually over time Glocks have gotten the nod over BHP's or 1911's for carry simply because then I don't feel bad if they get scratched, dinged or scraped. I just don't have a lefty holster for a Glock right now, as soon as my wrist is better I'll switch back to the beater/working guns.
  • Eventually going for a smaller, lighter, slightly brighter flashlight who's stored batteries last 10 years.
  • Replacing an out-of-date large as fuck pepper spray can with a newer one that's smaller in size.
  • Buying a Leatherman Wave over the original Leatherman because the slats on the handle dig into my hand when using the pliers.
You can see some of each in the top two pics.

The stuff on the left is getting replaced.
  • Fenix LD-20 (L) getting replaced with Streamlight ProTac L2 on the right. The Fenix still works great, but that ProTac 2L is smaller, lighter and a bit brighter. The ProTac 2L came with a nylon holster, but I can't ever see me using the holster. I picked up the ProTac 1L in the store (one CR123A battery instead of two batteries in the ProTac 2L) and that thing was so small (really small, size of a Bic lighter) I was sure it would get lost almost immediately, so I opted for something in between the Fenix LD-20 and the Streamlight ProTac 1L.
  • Out-of-Date 16 ounce PepperFoam (L) can getting replaced with new 22 gram (there's 28.34 grams in an ounce) Sabre pepper spray (R). That PepperFoam can was pretty big, I'll be glad to be downsizing.
  • Swapping the original Leatherman (L) for Leatherman Wave on right. More tools in the Wave and the handle is way more comfortable as well.

That's generally why I do it. Replacing consumables that go out of date or when there's something lighter in weight, smaller in size or brighter now out on the market that justifies buying something new.
Last edited by Browning 35 on Wed May 07, 2014 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

rburch

Post by rburch » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:02 pm

I change my carry more often than I probably should...

The past week I've been carrying my little Taurus 357 (either 650 or 850 I forget which one is the 357)

For most of the past year my main carry was either my FNS-9 or my Kahr CW9.

But I would still carry my CZ-PCR or the Taurus on occasion too.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:13 am

I generally don't change it ofter. Granted I often have items walk off which changes things up, usually my flashlights.
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

thrillbilly

Post by thrillbilly » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:32 am

I'm a creature of habit and I find comfort in familiar items I have tested and I trust.

I've carried the same Case in my right pocket every single day since I was 17...

I carry a Glock 19 all day, every day, everywhere. And it goes on my nightstand next to me when I sleep.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:17 pm

Smash05 wrote:I try to assess what my EDC CCW needs are on a more or less regular basis, limiting factor being can I schedule range time to practice etc.
I personally change up my EDC whenever I get a new gun. I know some of my new toys aren't the best choices for EDC but when you got it flaunt it. It usually changes back after a mo or so.
As far as the other stuff I EDC, I generally keep adding to it until my pants fall down, then throw it out and start over.
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

WaywardAce

Post by WaywardAce » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:34 pm

Since Jan 1st of 2013 my EDC handgun has been my Glock 19 riding in a Galco Triton. I'm upgrading some of my other things slowly, got a new phone and wallet .... will be trying out a new blade and flashlight in the upcoming weeks. Before that I kept two sub-compacts in rotation. I don't plan on changing from the G19 any time soon, if so, I might throw a Commander into the mix, but it's unlikely.

Siggy01

Post by Siggy01 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:37 am

My phone, wallet, and keys/chains are usually the same. I switch my EDC knives often between my spyderco delica and my benchmade mini grip. As for my handgun, it changes every year as my collection grows. Being in south florida and dressing lightly leaves me carrying smaller guns. S&W shield is my owb and ruger lcp for pocket most of the time. My glock 23 will come out sometimes. I'm waiting for beretta to release the pico. :roll:
"What do you mean pass the salt!? Just eat me and get it over with!"

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Fri May 02, 2014 10:28 pm

This is me for now...I've got a FCT dual mag pouch, a Crossbreed, and a Areas ranger belt on the way, in the next few months I'm picking up a S&W442 to throw on my ankle...

SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Tue May 06, 2014 2:13 pm

I don't really switch up my EDC too often. Except sometimes I do leave my Leatherman Wave at home and I carry a Bic lighter or two as I am a smoker.

In the winter months I will carry more such as my fullsize 17 round mag with adapter, Altoids Survival tin, and 50ft of Para-cord 550. I always keep my GHB in my vehicle.

"ZomCon: A better life through containment"

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue May 06, 2014 2:29 pm

I switch between my G19 and my Sig P290 depending on what I'm wearing, and sometimes leave my auto knife at home.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Return to “Handguns”