Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Remington R51 sub compact 9X19 +P

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:39 pm

slicknickns wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: Point of order. Glock killed the 380 Glock by making it too dimensionally similar to the G26.
I'm still waiting for a single stack .45 from Glock
G36. Granted, it's the exact same size as the G30S...
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:41 pm

slicknickns wrote: I'm still waiting for a single stack .45 from Glock
You've waited way too long, they've had one for some time.
http://us.glock.com/products/model/g36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

.milFox

Post by .milFox » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:29 am

Hrm. Pondering the .40 version.

JustAnotherSnakeCult

Post by JustAnotherSnakeCult » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:23 pm

PistolPete wrote:
http://us.glock.com/products/model/g36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or maybe he's been waiting in the wrong place? Has it not been approved in those states that need to approve what handguns can be sold? Seriously it's been out for years in free states.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:27 pm

JustAnotherSnakeCult wrote:
PistolPete wrote:
Or maybe he's been waiting in the wrong place? Has it not been approved in those states that need to approve what handguns can be sold? Seriously it's been out for years in free states.
You could still buy Gen 4 Glacks in CA with a single shot modification, then take them home and make them full functional again. Most likely he just never looked.

JustAnotherSnakeCult

Post by JustAnotherSnakeCult » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:35 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:You could still buy Gen 4 Glacks in CA with a single shot modification, then take them home and make them full functional again. Most likely he just never looked.
CA makes people buy/sell bolt action glock? Hilarious (sorry CA residents...)

pharazon

Post by pharazon » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:33 pm

JustAnotherSnakeCult wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:You could still buy Gen 4 Glacks in CA with a single shot modification, then take them home and make them full functional again. Most likely he just never looked.
CA makes people buy/sell bolt action glock? Hilarious (sorry CA residents...)
California has a roster for handguns that are legal to be sold to civilians, from which single shot pistols are exempt. By converting them to single shot, we can obtain just about anything. Gen 3 Glocks are on the roster, Gen 4 are not.

I am not yet aware if the R51 will be on the roster, but we will find a way to get them here regardless.
Jeff Mangum wrote:Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:06 am

I haven't seen or shot one of these but I don't think they've done anything special or great here. The gun is as big but just a tad thinner than a Glock 19. Sorry, I'm not giving up 9 rds of ammo for 0.20". The take down process is VERY 1940s, really grab this, get this lined up take this block out, slide this here and hold this part and that part with your third hand while holding the barrel just right. The slide release spring is not a big deal but in the year 2014 that should not be that on a simple reassembly. Most modern guns I can take apart with my eyes closed and reassemble them.
Then all the hype without it being present at range day for the media, well, that bothers me in the sense that it is just all hype without substance. There are already awesome 9mm out there excellent triggers that are single stack and smaller. Anyway, I'll be over here, petting my Glock 26 telling her she was once the hype and I'm not giving up on her. :clownshoes:

I don't know, color me unimpressed.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:23 am

Yeah, to be honest it's a lot bigger than I had initially hoped it would be. I was hoping it would be more of a Shield size than the G19 size it ended up being. I'm not sure who the market is for this gun, to be honest. Given the decision to use an alloy frame, and the advertised light force required to rack the slide, I'm starting to imagine that the target audience is old people who still think plastic pistols are bad, but lack the grip strength to run their Rugers and S&W 4006's anymore
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:24 am

crypto wrote:Yeah, to be honest it's a lot bigger than I had initially hoped it would be. I was hoping it would be more of a Shield size than the G19 size it ended up being. I'm not sure who the market is for this gun, to be honest. Given the decision to use an alloy frame, and the advertised light force required to rack the slide, I'm starting to imagine that the target audience is old people who still think plastic pistols are bad, but lack the grip strength to run their Rugers and S&W 4006's anymore
You forgot "Cold-ass pimps who will have one Ni-bor'd and 3-lugged."

Smü
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Videotape of my 13th birthday ...

Post by Smü » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:41 am

The first pic reminds me of the Vector CP1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9rhNQZ-erg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Never use actual experience within an internet debate."
- Woods Walker

If you find typos, you may keep 'em.

nathat

Post by nathat » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:48 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
crypto wrote:"Cold-ass pimps who will have one Ni-bor'd and 3-lugged."
I find this offensive, my pimp lawyer will be contacting you.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:52 pm

nathat wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
I got the goldfish in my shoes. Everyone has to recognize when you got the goldfish in your shoes.

I have a guy who owes me a NiBor job and for no good reason i want to put my 3-lug 9mm can on that Remington because LOL. This may just have to happen.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:23 pm

:lol:

I dunno. This makes me wanting a P6 seem almost reasonable. WTF remington.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

nathat

Post by nathat » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:00 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
nathat wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
I got the goldfish in my shoes. Everyone has to recognize when you got the goldfish in your shoes.

I have a guy who owes me a NiBor job and for no good reason i want to put my 3-lug 9mm can on that Remington because LOL. This may just have to happen.
I like goldfish, and turtles. "Gotta go fishin'."

on topic, I see no use for this pistol.

CountryJim

Post by CountryJim » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:31 pm

Post deleted, replied to wrong post.

Vladimir
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil dead

Post by Vladimir » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:43 pm

For an easy to carry true sub compact I bought and love the beretta NANO . 9mm . It's a fantastic firearm and not a hickup with any ammo . It's small and low hassle to carry .
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the Lord did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats

Domino

Post by Domino » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:32 pm

Come on guy, you are saying that the R51 is as big as the Glock 19? Nope...

Also, notice how much additional grip you get with the R51 over the others? That combined with the low bore axis and fixed barrel are what make this gun appealing. Plenty of small pocket rockets out there but this gun promises to be much more shootable.

R51
Length: 6.6 in
Width: 1.0 in
Height: 4.6 in
Weight (unloaded): 21.9 oz

G19
Length: 7.36 in.
Width: 1.18 in.
Height: 4.99 in.
Weight (unloaded): 20.99 oz

It IS actually almost identical to the dimensions of the Ruger LC9 and S&W Shield with the exception of about .5" of length. For most people who CCW, they find it harder to conceal the height (grip) than the length (barrel).

LC9
Length: 6.00 in
Width: .9 in
Height: 4.5 in
Weight (unloaded): 17.1 oz

Shield 9X19
Length: 6.1 in.
Width: .95 in.
Height: 4.6 in.
Weight (unloaded): 19.0 oz

Those who say they would rather carry the G19 then fine, but don't go around saying that it is somehow too large for its class because that is just misinformation. There are both smaller and larger guns for the same purpose. I'm still just waiting to get my mittens on one to decide for myself. The actual production models will tell us for sure if this is going to be a winner or loser.

Domino

Post by Domino » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:57 pm

New Video...

And here is how to disassemble the gun, old school but simple enough once you understand it...

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:32 pm

Domino wrote:Come on guy, you are saying that the R51 is as big as the Glock 19? Nope...

Also, notice how much additional grip you get with the R51 over the others? That combined with the low bore axis and fixed barrel are what make this gun appealing. Plenty of small pocket rockets out there but this gun promises to be much more shootable.

Those who say they would rather carry the G19 then fine, but don't go around saying that it is somehow too large for its class because that is just misinformation. There are both smaller and larger guns for the same purpose. I'm still just waiting to get my mittens on one to decide for myself. The actual production models will tell us for sure if this is going to be a winner or loser.

Well your picture shows it being nearly as large as a 19 and definitely larger than a 26, both of which have more capacity. The 19 weighs less, is just over .5 inch longer/.~3 inch higher... and holds 16 friggin rounds. What is the benefit of this marginally smaller pistol for such a large drop in capacity? And as for the grip... yay a grip bigger than the glock chunk o' 2x4... just what everyone wanted.

If this gun suits you, that's cool. I'd like to shoot one, but I don't see what role it is filling. A single stack 9 better be a pocket pistol or what's the point? Bigger than a 26 doesn't sound like a pocket pistol to me.
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:50 pm

TheLastOne wrote:
Domino wrote:Come on guy, you are saying that the R51 is as big as the Glock 19? Nope...

Well your picture shows it being nearly as large as a 19 and definitely larger than a 26, both of which have more capacity. The 19 weighs less, is just over .5 inch longer/.~3 inch higher... and holds 16 friggin rounds. What is the benefit of this marginally smaller pistol for such a large drop in capacity? And as for the grip... yay a grip bigger than the glock chunk o' 2x4... just what everyone wanted.

If this gun suits you, that's cool. I'd like to shoot one, but I don't see what role it is filling. A single stack 9 better be a pocket pistol or what's the point? Bigger than a 26 doesn't sound like a pocket pistol to me.
Why no G19? Mag limit states. Not everyone can have 15, or even 10. Why carry the extra width?

Guns are always measured in half-inches, sometimes less. Dismissing a half-inch (and the decreased width) is sort of dishonest. It may not be for you, but the Shield, XDs, and every other pocket pistol on the market sort of supports the desire for something smaller than a G19 and slimmer than a G26, even for folks who holster carry them. Not saying it's better or worse, but you can't just dismiss a 1/5th reduction in width, especially with how long Glock guys have been demanding a single-stack Glock 9mm. Personally I find a G26 without the extension difficult to shoot, and wouldn't be interested in the R51 if it had a G26-length grip.

Fixed barrel means accurate. The light slide weight will open up the wonderful world of autopistols to those with weak or injured hands. It's nothing for you or me to chamber a round or do a reload drill on a g26, but for someone with RA it can be impossible. I think that's been said in this thread before but it seems to get glossed over a fair bit.

Style points: this is where Glock has always lost. Some people don't care about looks. Others do, or 1911s wouldn't sell nearly as well. I think this will sell to folks who like the classic look.

So if I had to pitch this gun from a marketing standpoint, my target market would be people for whom concealability is key, especially those who find babygats just too small, but compacts too large. People who like classic or different designs. This thing screams dieselpunk. People who are unable to operate other semi-automatics, and don't want to be stuck with a wheelgun. Decreased hand strength means a DA pull will be a bitch, so eliminating that and giving them mags instead of cylinder reloads may open up a new market as well. Lastly, people who just like stuff that's different.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:56 pm

Those are some good points, Doc. I guess at the end of the day, if it gets more people interested in owning, shooting, and carrying responsibly, it's a good thing.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:16 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
TheLastOne wrote: So if I had to pitch this gun from a marketing standpoint, my target market would be people for whom concealability is key, especially those who find babygats just too small, but compacts too large. People who like classic or different designs. This thing screams dieselpunk. People who are unable to operate other semi-automatics, and don't want to be stuck with a wheelgun. Decreased hand strength means a DA pull will be a bitch, so eliminating that and giving them mags instead of cylinder reloads may open up a new market as well. Lastly, people who just like stuff that's different.

See, now there are reasons I understand. Telling me the grip is even chunkier and putting up silhouettes (<--thank you spell check) sure as hell wasn't selling me on it :lol: :crazy: . The round limitation is a good point too, but if I were limited to 10 and under I guess I'd be lugging around a 45, but probably two 45's :mrgreen: . But hey, that's just me too. Especially when it's heavier than a 19. I'd probably lose my shit if CO decided to drop us even further below 15. Yay grandfathered mags.

It seemed to me that right off that this was being sold (to be fair maybe not by Remington) as a single stack SMALL 9 (in line with a shield or whatever), and the more I heard about it the less it made any sense to me. It's too heavy and too big to be useful to ME, but like I said, maybe it suits somebody. I still would like to shoot one and admit it is mechanically interesting to me.

//eta
looking at the pics again, it really is in line with the shield minus the barrel length which doesn't matter to holster carriers anyway for concealability. Color me mostly wrong.
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Domino

Post by Domino » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:07 pm

Also, don't forget that the R51 has a 4-5lb single action trigger when a lot of other comparable pistols have horrid triggers. This pistol may not be the smallest carry piece out there, but it looks to be a lot more controllable and shootable.

Return to “Handguns”