Remington R51 sub compact 9X19 +P

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Domino

Remington R51 sub compact 9X19 +P

Post by Domino » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:51 pm

This is cool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgmCxuW3rgY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking forward to a threaded version.

phalanx

Re: Remington R51 sub compact 9X19 +P

Post by phalanx » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:05 am

ASK, AND YE SHALL RECEIVE:
There’s even a suppressor-ready barrel available as an option.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/remingt ... show-2014/
ninja-elbow wrote: ZSC:011 Oregon: We Bug Out wet, dry, at the coast or the high desert ... maybe even the mountains, in a town or in a valley or something....
"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:09 am

Gotta say the same. Threaded barrel and night sights would be tits,a nd the fixed barrel means I can have someone whip up a 3-lug adaptor for rangedays. $389 MSRP means I'll pick up at least one.

EDIT: Some sources saying $420. Don't fuck this up Remington. The biggest attraction to this thing was the style, the fixed barrel, and the hope I could see them on the street for $350.
Last edited by Doctorr Fabulous on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

phalanx

Post by phalanx » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:22 am

I was really surprised at the price, I thought it would have been higher. I'm curious about it, but a seven round magazine is a little bit of a turn off for me. Still though, I want one.
ninja-elbow wrote: ZSC:011 Oregon: We Bug Out wet, dry, at the coast or the high desert ... maybe even the mountains, in a town or in a valley or something....
"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:12 pm

I am hoping to pick one of these up, but I am in California, so I will have to go through a circuitous process to have one shipped in as a single-shot pistol, with a long barrel. I can convert it back to normal once I get it, but still it is annoying and expensive. I hate my state some times. On the other hand, I love the look of this gun. I am a huge fan of Art Deco, and the original Model 51 is probably the second most Art Deco design out there. The Savage pistols from the same era are the first. But this one keeps the same lines, and is in 9mm AND can handle +P ammunition. The limited number of rounds doesn't bother me. On those limited occasions when I can legally carry a concealed weapon (it is California, after all), I am just as likely to carry a revolver. 7-8 rounds would be just fine in my book. If this holds up to testing, and doesn't have any weird quirks, Remington may have just killed the new .380 Glock.

-Mb

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:37 pm

gun toting monkeyboy wrote:I am hoping to pick one of these up, but I am in California, so I will have to go through a circuitous process to have one shipped in as a single-shot pistol, with a long barrel. I can convert it back to normal once I get it, but still it is annoying and expensive. I hate my state some times. On the other hand, I love the look of this gun. I am a huge fan of Art Deco, and the original Model 51 is probably the second most Art Deco design out there. The Savage pistols from the same era are the first. But this one keeps the same lines, and is in 9mm AND can handle +P ammunition. The limited number of rounds doesn't bother me. On those limited occasions when I can legally carry a concealed weapon (it is California, after all), I am just as likely to carry a revolver. 7-8 rounds would be just fine in my book. If this holds up to testing, and doesn't have any weird quirks, Remington may have just killed the new .380 Glock.

-Mb
Point of order. Glock killed the 380 Glock by making it too dimensionally similar to the G26.

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:38 pm

Okay, given. But this looks like it could be a handgun to take over the CCW market that Glock would have captured had they had an ounce of common sense, and come out with a CCW-oriented single-stack 9mm. The low bore, and supposed 3-finger grip could make this a really popular handgun. Again, if it doesn't end up being a piece of junk, or the pistol version of the 710/770, they could have really read exactly what the market wanted, and gotten their product out at the right time. We are coming off of over a decade of wars and military-styled everything. Even coffee mugs have rails on them. This is something that is clearly different, and aimed at a niche market that has been screaming for Glock to make a small, single-stack 9mm for years. Remington stopped making regular handguns back in the 1930s. They came out with what I have been told is a nice 1911 clone a couple of years back, and now this. I think they are stepping up their game, anticipating the upcoming market in the next few years. CCW permits are soaring across the country (except for us poor bastards in California). If they can get their gun out there now, and build up a solid reputation with it, they may be looking at a significant chunk of the CCW market down the road. Now all they have to do is get some product placement in the movies. Which shouldn't be that hard, as it is a distinctive looking gun.

-Mb

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:52 pm

gun toting monkeyboy wrote:Okay, given. But this looks like it could be a handgun to take over the CCW market that Glock would have captured had they had an ounce of common sense, and come out with a CCW-oriented single-stack 9mm. The low bore, and supposed 3-finger grip could make this a really popular handgun. Again, if it doesn't end up being a piece of junk, or the pistol version of the 710/770, they could have really read exactly what the market wanted, and gotten their product out at the right time. We are coming off of over a decade of wars and military-styled everything. Even coffee mugs have rails on them. This is something that is clearly different, and aimed at a niche market that has been screaming for Glock to make a small, single-stack 9mm for years. Remington stopped making regular handguns back in the 1930s. They came out with what I have been told is a nice 1911 clone a couple of years back, and now this. I think they are stepping up their game, anticipating the upcoming market in the next few years. CCW permits are soaring across the country (except for us poor bastards in California). If they can get their gun out there now, and build up a solid reputation with it, they may be looking at a significant chunk of the CCW market down the road. Now all they have to do is get some product placement in the movies. Which shouldn't be that hard, as it is a distinctive looking gun.

-Mb
I wouldn't call the R1 1911 a clone any more than I'd call a Wilson or Sig or S&W 1911 a clone.

I agree wholeheartedly about the R51. Lotta folks still hating on Remington after the Freedom Group merger. I have a Marlington that runs just fine, and the R1 seems to have a good rep. If the R51 can run then I'll happily move some guns to get one or two. I'll get one either way just because it's pretty and I like the action. The R51 almost makes me want to pseudo-modernize a Suomi or AutoOrd Thompson and get that dieselpunk look going.

Side note: next person who says the R51 looks like plasticky is going to get a paddlin' well deserved, since it's an aluminum frame. It needs wood grips though.

Domino

Post by Domino » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:19 pm

phalanx wrote:ASK, AND YE SHALL RECEIVE:
There’s even a suppressor-ready barrel available as an option.
Done, its on my short list!
gun toting monkeyboy wrote:Okay, given. But this looks like it could be a handgun to take over the CCW market that Glock would have captured had they had an ounce of common sense, and come out with a CCW-oriented single-stack 9mm. The low bore, and supposed 3-finger grip could make this a really popular handgun. Again, if it doesn't end up being a piece of junk, or the pistol version of the 710/770, they could have really read exactly what the market wanted, and gotten their product out at the right time. We are coming off of over a decade of wars and military-styled everything. Even coffee mugs have rails on them. This is something that is clearly different, and aimed at a niche market that has been screaming for Glock to make a small, single-stack 9mm for years. Remington stopped making regular handguns back in the 1930s. They came out with what I have been told is a nice 1911 clone a couple of years back, and now this. I think they are stepping up their game, anticipating the upcoming market in the next few years. CCW permits are soaring across the country (except for us poor bastards in California). If they can get their gun out there now, and build up a solid reputation with it, they may be looking at a significant chunk of the CCW market down the road. Now all they have to do is get some product placement in the movies. Which shouldn't be that hard, as it is a distinctive looking gun.

-Mb
I saw a review from some guys that shot a bunch of them at the Shot Show Media Day and they ran several cases of ammo through 8 R51's and gave it pretty high praises. They only had an issue with a prototype model I think. I'll see if I can dig it up, this thing offers promise and if it shoots as sweet as I am reading and seeing then it will be a very successful CCW pistol and for good reason. Its good to see actual innovation rather than rehashed garbage like Glock's 42, what a lame duck!

Siggy01

Post by Siggy01 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:44 pm

Kinda reminds me of the Kimber Solo Carry with a few differences like the safety and trigger. IMO I think remington is a lil late to the small 9mm pistol game. It is a pretty cool looking gun though, I'll definitely finger bang one once my lgs has one in. Gonna stick with my S&W Shield though.
"What do you mean pass the salt!? Just eat me and get it over with!"

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:12 pm

I have been looking a replacement compact 9MM for CCW. I have tried the Glock 26 but it is bigger than I want. I saw this and thought bingo!

However, I am going to see if it works better than the Glock 26 in the size area and Ruger LC-9 in the trigger area.

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:18 pm

My wife wants one already. One of her gal pals posted a pic of it on FB. I don't think she actually has one yet, but I'm sure one will be in our safe once they become available.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Domino

Post by Domino » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:26 pm

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014 ... 51-pistol/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's the link...

Lodewijk

Post by Lodewijk » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:55 am

Trigger on the prototypes was pretty good, and the one I handled was put together very well and pointed beautifully. I liked it as soon as I picked it up.

People (m4carbine.net and pistol-forum.com posters) are bitching at SHOT about the slide being "gritty" to rack, the safety being hard to engage, and the trigger being heavy. My experience was that none of those things are true (I did not handle the show guns) and I think that if it runs it will be a great gun for the money and should be easy to shoot.

Have not seen production guns yet.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:47 pm

Lodewijk wrote:Trigger on the prototypes was pretty good, and the one I handled was put together very well and pointed beautifully. I liked it as soon as I picked it up.

People (m4carbine.net and pistol-forum.com posters) are bitching at SHOT about the slide being "gritty" to rack, the safety being hard to engage, and the trigger being heavy. My experience was that none of those things are true (I did not handle the show guns) and I think that if it runs it will be a great gun for the money and should be easy to shoot.

Tell me more. PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!

raxar

Post by raxar » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:14 pm

I'm planning on buying one as soon as I can, provided I like how it feels.
...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

AnonEmouse

Post by AnonEmouse » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:36 pm

gun toting monkeyboy wrote: CCW permits are soaring across the country (except for us poor bastards in California). that hard, as it is a distinctive looking gun.

-Mb

Look to the " shall issue " counties in the northern end of the state , and the permits issued are good state-wide.

phalanx

Post by phalanx » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:19 pm

Lodewijk wrote:Trigger on the prototypes was pretty good, and the one I handled was put together very well and pointed beautifully. I liked it as soon as I picked it up.

A couple questions, if you don't mind:

-What types of ammo did you run?

-What are the magazines made of?

-How are the stock sights (which may change, I know, just curious)?

zoiders

Post by zoiders » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:30 pm

It's a very much like the carry guns various German manufacturers were experimenting with in the 70's before the big blocky high capacity service pistols became the thing to have

HK4/P7/P9 and the Walther PP super for example, slim, no sharp edges, fires a a full power cartridge

It's looks like win if it proves to be reliable

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:48 pm

This gun makes me confused, in a good sort of way. Part of me thinks it's ugly and like something that came out of the com-bloc thirty years ago, but at the same time, damn I want one.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

ghost792

Post by ghost792 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:13 am

I've been very excited about the R51 since I first heard about it. The neat thing is that it's an updated Pedersen design, so it has quite the pedigree already. Even better, back during WWI Remington tried to sell the US military on a .45ACP version of the Model 51 to replace the M1911. Every account that I've read has the Model 53 performing better than the M1911. The US Navy really wanted the Model 53 but it was decided to not try to start up a new pistol for production during a war when there wasn't an urgent need.

Remington has already said that a .40 version of the R51 is planned for later this year. As much as I love my 1911, I'm hoping that Remington might bring back the Model 53, too.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:06 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Gotta say the same. Threaded barrel and night sights would be tits,a nd the fixed barrel means I can have someone whip up a 3-lug adaptor for rangedays. $389 MSRP means I'll pick up at least one.

EDIT: Some sources saying $420. Don't fuck this up Remington. The biggest attraction to this thing was the style, the fixed barrel, and the hope I could see them on the street for $350.
That is what I'm hoping the R51 price point to be somewhere around what the Ruger LC9 sells for. The length dimension is a tad long at 6.6" compared to the other pocket 9mm out there however it is going to be crazy accurate with that fixed barrel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_R51" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:41 pm

From what I have heard, there will not only be a set of wooden grips available, but also a Mother-of-Pearl style as well, if you want to go for that pimp or 1920s gangster look. Part of the reason is makes so many people think of old Walthers or old Comblock guns is because those old guns were trying to look like the original Model 51. Art Deco, with swept lines, good ergonomics, and above all, streamlined. You should see what some of the toasters and other appliances from that era looked like.

As for carry permits, they have to be from either the city or county you live in. I live in an unincorporated part of San Diego, so it would have to be from the Sheriff. He is a gun-grabbing douche. You have to show a dire and documentable good cause to get one. Like a serial killer sending you fan mail, including photographs of him at your front door with a hockey mask and a chainsaw. Otherwise, it isn't even worth applying. "Self defense" won't cut it. There are lawsuits, but until they clear, I have to either be hunting or fishing to CCW. Or on my own property.

-Mb

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:07 pm

I like what I see so far. I'm definitely going to keep my ears open on this one.

So I never really gave the small CCW guns much serious thought because of my states ridiculous CCW law, which effectively won't let anyone get a permit. Without getting too political about the whole situation, all I will say is that there are two major fronts fighting for our rights. One being the Hawaii Defense Foundation that have been tied up in circuit court this last two years (long story). The other being a newly elected congresswoman that introduced a bill for consideration last week effectively changing the "may issue" to a "shall issue". If anyone is curious about it, feel free to send me a PM.

For the first time in awhile the ball is moving in the right direction, and it may be premature of my, but I'm putting off buying a new trap gun for a possible future CCW piece. So far I've been looking at the shield, the PPS and the XDs. If this thing comes as advertised, then I hope my local store will bring them in.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Return to “Handguns”