Neither (practical but boring)
21%
Something else
18%

Total votes: 28

quazi

Thinking about modifications for my Glock 20

Post by quazi » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:32 am

I have a Glock 20 that I'm thinking about modding a bit. Be forewarned, I'm not extra words so good at being more extra words concise. (Needless clarification.)

I want to get an aftermarket barrel for shooting cast bullets. I'm thinking that I'm going to get a 6” barrel from LWD to get some more velocity. (Actually probably the threaded 6.61” barrel so that on the off chance I decide to get a suppressor in the future I won't have to buy a new barrel.)

The other two mods I was thinking about were an extended slide and a small red dot. However, looking at the price of these I'm thinking maybe one or the other.

I know that moar training would be better overall than either, but part of the reason I'm thinking about them is because they're cool.

The primary purpose of my Glock 20 (other than fun) is going to be as a woods/bear gun. I fall down a lot, often into water. I also tend to smack into things. This pistol is likely going to take a beating due to my clumsiness.

I'm leaning towards getting the long slide. It would give me a longer sight radius. It would also help a bit with the recoil of hot 10mm loads. Also, I think the extra-long barrel sticking out of a regular-length slide looks weird, while the 6” solid top LWD slide looks spiffy. Since that's just cosmetic I can probably get over it.

I've read a lot of positive reviews recently about small red dots on handguns. I think one would be nice, although I'm not very knowledgeable about the subject. Getting one would make the longer sight radius of the long slide mostly irrelevant. I'm leaning against it for the following reasons:
Price: Most run over $400. LWD recommends the Burris FastFire series, which run $200-$250, but I'm not sure of their quality. Then there is the cost of mounting it.
Durability: Like I said, the pistols likely to get banged around and submerged from time to time. It would be expensive to replace if broken.
Commitment: My understanding is once a slide is milled to accept a red dot, you're pretty much stuck with that model from then on. If I didn't like having the red dot on the pistol I could move it to another firearm or sell it, but would that leave a big hole on top of my slide? Another option is to get the slide drilled and tapped to mount an optic instead of having it milled out. My understanding is that it is cheaper than getting the slide milled out and doesn't alter the slide to nearly the same degree, but makes backup iron sights difficult or impossible. It still might be a good way to test out a red dot before deciding to go ahead and have the slide milled.

Regardless I'll have to get a new holster, likely a custom one, but I was looking to do that anyway.

The next bit might just be mall ninja tinfoil hattery on my part, so feel free to disregard (or call me names or whatever).

If the threat of violent crime goes up significantly, for whatever reason, it might be a good idea to be better armed than with a compact or sub-compact pistol. I'm thinking a firearm that approaches a PDW from the pistol side. A full-sized pistol with a relatively flat-shooting cartridge and small red dot. It wouldn't be as good as a SBR but would be much more convenient to carry and easier to conceal. (My idea of what's easy to conceal might be skewed by the fact that in my climate it's comfortable to wear a jacket for most of the year.)

Meh, it's probably just the crazy notion of someone who doesn't really know what he's talking about. Like I said the main purposes of this pistol are protecting me while I frolic through the wilderness and keeping the population of feral aluminum cans in check.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Thinking about modifications for my Glock 20

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:09 am

One gun I will own is a long slide Glock 20 with a red dot, probably a Leupold Delta. I'm not sure when or ever but I really like the Glock 20, I really like 10mm and extra barrel length does a lot for the 10mm cartridge. The extra 2 inches add at least 100FPS which for a pistol is pretty good.

Where I got my my FNP milled can set up sights. I strongly suggest suppressor height sights to co-witness that red dot. I also believe these are not pistols once the pistol is this long and a red dot is mounted. As you stated, these are more on the lines of a PDW than something that would be carried.

American Tactical Imports (ATI) is coming to SC. So far we have PTR, FN, and Ithica. I heart you Nicky!
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

mr.trooper

Post by mr.trooper » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:57 pm

Get the slide milled for an MRDS. In reality you are only going to have time to get a shot or two at best. you need to put those pills in a good place.
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:28 am

A longslide Glock 20 is on my short list of things to get in the near future. I say do it.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:10 pm

I wanna get a longslide 10mm for backpacking against bears...go for it
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:17 am

I figure I'll probably get it done bit by bit. Barrel first, then the long slide, then maybe a red dot.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:28 pm

This build is also on my list. The long slide makes a difference in power and recoil, and I run a MRD (FastFire) on my G34 now. The FF lived on the S12 for awhile and it survived. But I think I also want to try the Delta Point next.
WWSD?

CBMS
Favorite Zombie Movies: Return of the night of the living dead.
28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Glee

Post by CBMS » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:06 pm

I have my glock 20 pretty heavily tweaked and I got the 9" bbl from lone wolf, so it'll be interesting when it arrives. I'll update you all when I get it mounted up and tested.

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:46 pm

CBMS wrote:I have my glock 20 pretty heavily tweaked and I got the 9" bbl from lone wolf, so it'll be interesting when it arrives. I'll update you all when I get it mounted up and tested.
I'd definitely be interested in seeing your results. I think I'd stick with the 6" for my handgun, but I'm interested in trying a 10mm carbine if I end up keeping the .308 I just ordered.

My .40 S&W LWD conversion barrel seems to work pretty well, but I haven't used it very much since .40 S&W is hard to find where I live.

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:44 pm

id pass on doing anything to a G20. :?
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:43 pm

Hoppy wrote:id pass on doing anything to a G20. :?
Why's that?

My understanding is that an aftermarket barrel is pretty much required for shooting cast lead bullets.

KaceCoyote

Post by KaceCoyote » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:29 am

quazi wrote:
Why's that?

My understanding is that an aftermarket barrel is pretty much required for shooting cast lead bullets.
At which point, he's still well cheaper than a CDE.
Kace, the Coyote without a cause.

Only bovines and homosexuals come out of Texas -Politically corrected R Lee Ermey

When the smoke clear, you can see the sky again
There will be the chopped off heads of leviathan
My friend, they call 'em strangers
Everybody talk to him end up in some danger
-MF Doom, Strange Ways

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:26 am

Instead of a long slide and a red dot, buy another Glock 20 and Akimbo them.

quazi

Post by quazi » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:32 pm

KaceCoyote wrote:
quazi wrote:
Why's that?

What does CDE stand for?
Das Sheep wrote:Instead of a long slide and a red dot, buy another Glock 20 and Akimbo them.
Because if I'm going part way mall ninja I might as well go all the way, right? :lol:

KaceCoyote

Post by KaceCoyote » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:48 pm

quazi wrote:
KaceCoyote wrote:
quazi wrote:
Why's that?

What does CDE stand for?
Das Sheep wrote:Instead of a long slide and a red dot, buy another Glock 20 and Akimbo them.
Because if I'm going part way mall ninja I might as well go all the way, right? :lol:

CDE is an acronym for the very finest 10mm platform that mankind has ever known. Colt Delta Elite. They just came back into production too, now if only they'd give us one with a rail in a commander form factor I'd be in heaven. For all the awesome that is the CDE however, your G20 was much cheaper. Even fully hotrodded your just coming to parity with the factory CDE.

Only bovines and homosexuals come out of Texas -Politically corrected R Lee Ermey

-MF Doom, Strange Ways

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:49 pm

KaceCoyote wrote:CDE is an acronym for the very finest 10mm platform that mankind has ever known. Colt Delta Elite. They just came back into production too, now if only they'd give us one with a rail in a commander form factor I'd be in heaven. For all the awesome that is the CDE however, your G20 was much cheaper. Even fully hotrodded your just coming to parity with the factory CDE.
Man, I feel worse about not buying that Delta Elite for $700 now...
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

KaceCoyote

Post by KaceCoyote » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:17 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
KaceCoyote wrote:CDE is an acronym for the very finest 10mm platform that mankind has ever known. Colt Delta Elite. They just came back into production too, now if only they'd give us one with a rail in a commander form factor I'd be in heaven. For all the awesome that is the CDE however, your G20 was much cheaper. Even fully hotrodded your just coming to parity with the factory CDE.
Man, I feel worse about not buying that Delta Elite for $700 now...

Most of the old ones were made early in the 10mm's life span, before we'd gotten a great deal of 'full power" loads on the market. As a result most of the original CDE's ended up being fairly undersprung. Many (not most) ended up getting beaten apart, frame cracks ect. Most guys who bought CDEs were proper reloaders or at least gun nerds. As a result, most understood when it was time to swap recoil springs out. Modern CDEs come with a beefier spring I'm told.

That said a nice CDE makes a poor bear gun. It is however useful as a standard by which we measure other 10mm guns against. As far as I'm concerned, a light rail isnt optional on a woods gun and the CDE both then and now lack this. Night sights, ect ect whatever can be retrofitted but for this task, negative ghostrider. I say a longslide G20 with a holo up top should fill the role of back country bear hammer very well.

-MF Doom, Strange Ways

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:23 am

My firearms plans seem to change depending on how my day goes at work. If I have a bad day I just want to quit my job, buy a cheap pump shotgun and move out to the sticks. If I have a good day then I think it wouldn't be so bad to work a few more months and get three or four nice guns. :lol:

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:07 pm

Since they came out with the Glock 41 I'm thinking that I'll wait for a few years and see if they come out with a 10mm version in the same size.

I actually like the grip on my Gen 4 Glock 29 better than the grip on my Gen 3 Glock 20, but not to the point where I could justify the hassle and expense of trying to sell my current G20 to by the Gen 4 model.

A 10mm in the Glock 41 size might not be quite the same as what I had in mind, but it would probably save me quite a bit of money.

Does it seem likely that Glock would come out with a 10mm in that size?

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:27 am

Gingerbread Man wrote:One gun I will own is a long slide Glock 20 with a red dot, probably a Leupold Delta. I'm not sure when or ever but I really like the Glock 20, I really like 10mm and extra barrel length does a lot for the 10mm cartridge. The extra 2 inches add at least 100FPS which for a pistol is pretty good.
I totally agree. My research for a hunting revolver lead me to the same conclusion.10mm 200 gr bullets running about 1400 fps out of a 6in barrel put you roughly 5 inches low at 100 yds. Still torquing nearly 600 ftlbs at that range. And with the DeltaPoint, as a hunter, just put the pyramid point on the should and go out to 100 yds (that's just bad ass). Also, shoots easier than full bore 44 mags, not as scarce at 41 Mag, and keeps more lead on tap than either one. Probably makes a better SHTF and all purpose weapon than most folks imagine.

Quazi, I think it's well worth the money and effort to go long slide and RDS. Buy the slide and barrel, then get the RDS work done when you got more scratch for the project.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Return to “Handguns”