New 45ACP ubercompact pistol, the "Double Tap"

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TacAir

New 45ACP ubercompact pistol, the "Double Tap"

Post by TacAir » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:01 pm

Yes, it is a brand name. One, it would seem with a sense of humor (on Earth, it isn't all that common)

And out of St. Louis no less.

"ST LOUIS, MO --(Ammoland.com)- Heizer Defense LLC, a firearms company producing a new paradigm of pistols for the responsible-citizen and law enforcement markets is proud to introduce their first model for the concealed carry market; the DoubleTap.Heizer DoubleTap

The DoubleTap is a tactical pocket pistol, loaded with 5 patents pending, built on a titanium or aluminum frame; the slimmest and lightest on the market today at only .665 inches wide and 14 ounces.
Source

Posted for interest of those considering a last ditch PDW. At $500 for the Aluminum version, even more for the Ti version, I'd rather have another compact carry, but this is one small beast....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: New 45ACP ubercompact pistol, the "Double Tap"

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:21 pm

Looks neat, but I bet the recoil is a pain.

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:29 pm

The LCP is only 9.5 ounces, and is not a gemic gun.

Though for a modern take on the derringer, its a neat toy for the range I guess. I would not buy one, and would never seriously carry one for self defense (I know a lot of people who buy derringers for tackle box guns, great against snakes and can drive off other predators on two legs), and some carry revolvers with snake shot instead, but .45acp snake shot is not overly common or better than .410. Its pricey enough that you could get 2-4 derringers for the same price too... Or an LCP and some Pizza and a case of beer.

It looks like the barrels are compensated, so it also can ruin your night vision while you are shooting the bad guy!

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:35 pm

IT's light, and it's cool, but too damn expensive. It's also not -that- tiny. It's thin, yeah, but abo0ut the same size as most mouseguns.

Taurus TCP (.380, $199 at academy, 6rd mag) vs Doublederp:

Diamondback DB9 (6+1 9mm, sub-$350 new) vs Doublederp:

Keltec (P380, IIRC?) vs Doublederp:

It has some problems too. First off:
However, I was surprised when I shot it for the first time. HOLY COW does this thing kick! Shooting light-loaded 115 grain 9mm ammo felt like standard power .44 Magnum from my Ruger Blackhawk with the hard wood grips on it. Only the DoubleTap is less ergonomic. Although the website says “1911 ergonomics,” it just didn’t work that way for me.
Maybe the reviewer has little girly hands. Maybe not. I can attest that my Sig 238 recoils more strongly than the Bersa .380s I shot (or at least feels like it does) because it's smaller and lighter.

Then:
On my first range outing, every round I fired, from first to last, with three brands of ammo, caused the primer to bulge into the firing pin channel, locking up the gun. In many cases it was impossible to open the action. The solution was pulling the trigger a few times and allowing the firing pin to beat the primer back down until the barrels would tilt up.

I also had problems with spent brass and even live rounds sticking in the chambers so hard that I had to put a rod down the barrels and then slam the thing onto a hard surface to pop the case out the back. I expected a little bit of sticking, as the brass expands when fired and there is no ejection rod or other built-in tool to extract it, but this was something altogether different from the norm.

Although I went out to the woods intending to put at least 100 rounds through it, I stopped at about 20 due to frustration and growing concerns that something was wrong to the point where I was risking my safety. I also realized there was no way on God’s green earth that I was physically capable of putting 100 rounds through this gun without, at the very least, padded gloves. For the next couple of days my hand was slightly tender, but nothing bothersome. More on that later.
Yowch. Not something I want to hear about a last-chance gun. Later in the article, using less-shit ammo (original test was PMC bronze and some factory remanufactured stuff), he didn't have problems, so it could just be that it needed a break-in, but even with new-manufacture defensive ammo, cases were sticking. Still, bulging primers:

Next, 15lb trigger pull. :( Also, the manufacturer says you're never to take it further apart than taking the barrels off. Bummer. I hate not being able to replace parts myself.They went so far as to use some kind of goofy nut and screw to ensure that unless you have the specialized tool that they won't sell you, you cannot service it yourself.

Now back to the recoil:

Courtesy of TTAG: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/0 ... et-pistol/

Nothing about the reviews gives me a warm'n'fuzzy. I'd take the DB9 over the Doubletap, and I don't recommend Diamondback to anyone. Might pick up a Taurus just for shits. Academy lists them for $199, and i think I have an old .25ACp sitting around somewhere I could get a buck out of.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:49 pm

So basically the Double Defense is a glorified derringer (and a crappy one at best), correct ?

I think I'll save my money for a more proven compact pistol, like a Glock 19 or something like that.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:53 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:So basically the Double Defense is a glorified derringer (and a crappy one at best), correct ?

I think I'll save my money for a more proven compact pistol, like a Glock 19 or something like that.
It's a really cool derringer that comes with a 4-rd speed strip in the grip and may/may not function well for the price of a Glock, and in Titanium for the price of a similarly sized Sig P938.

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:07 pm

On a note, one of the best things about living in Florida is access to academy sports.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:08 pm

Das Sheep wrote:On a note, one of the best things about living in Florida is access to academy sports.
not anywhere in central Florida...

NX02GT
Favorite Zombie Movies: Ones with Zombies in them.

Post by NX02GT » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:32 pm

Lol, doublederp. I think it looks cool, wouldn't trade my PM9 for it though, even though I miss .45 a lot.
Czechnology wrote: On a normal shotgun with Ghost Rings, the sight radius is significantly longer. I'd put a red dot on that thing before I ever considered those MBUS. It's like putting Pirellis on a Mail Jeep. Yeah they look cool, but the platform cannot utilize them to their potential.

Rogue45

Post by Rogue45 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:44 pm

No thanks... DoubleDerp is the perfect name.
ZSC011

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SEMPER FI

Greg Focker

Post by Greg Focker » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:32 pm

So it's basically a double barreled Liberator?

They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts work loose,
They do not teach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when they damn-well choose.
-The Sons of Martha; R. Kipling

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:56 pm

Greg Focker wrote:So it's basically a double barreled Liberator?
That's probably the best description of the gun so far.

Although, Double Derp does fit just as well. :lol:

Greg Focker

Post by Greg Focker » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:31 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Greg Focker wrote:So it's basically a double barreled Liberator?
That's probably the best description of the gun so far.

Although, Double Derp does fit just as well. :lol:
Ehhhh, given the price point (for a pistol with a capacity of "2+0") and their insistence on it not being user serviceable, I would have thought it to be an HK.

They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts work loose,
They do not teach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when they damn-well choose.
-The Sons of Martha; R. Kipling

zoiders

Post by zoiders » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:39 pm

Looking at the size and the grip shape it's pretty much a COP derringer clone thinned down to two round, the original COP it self being a scaled down Lancaster Howdah pistol.

Clown shoes then and clown shoes now, I am also at a loss as to why the manufacturer thinks double barrel porting is a good idea on a weapon you may have to use from the hip point while possibly engaged in a struggle with an attacker. Getting scorched or cut by a very small side arm is easy enough, putting yet more holes in it so it spits fire in more than one place is a prime example of dumb-assery.

Rogue45

Post by Rogue45 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:06 pm

zoiders wrote: Getting scorched or cut by a very small side arm is easy enough, putting yet more holes in it so it spits fire in more than one place is a prime example of dumb-assery.

QFT :)
ZSC011

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SEMPER FI

mr.trooper

Post by mr.trooper » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:21 pm

There area lot of fudds who automatically assume a derringer is reliable in much the same way as they assume all revolver are jam proof "because they are so simple".

Combine that with the magical abilities of the 45acp, and they will surely sell more than a few of these.
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

Viper shtf

Post by Viper shtf » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:53 pm

Great post Doc, I am cured of any interest in the Doublederp.
PistolPete wrote:Seriously, fashion is dumb. But my wife likes the way they make my ass look or the way you can follow the veins on my balls through the denim or something. Whatever. I can dress up once in a while.

Apocalyptus Rex
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Ночь живых мертвецов
Возвращение живых мертвецов
Рассвет мертвецов (1978)

Post by Apocalyptus Rex » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:19 pm

I'd rather have a knife.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:27 pm

I think it's be pretty nifty as a flare gun.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:17 pm

Derringers have never impressed me. IMO the reduced bulk does not make up for the slow reload and two shot capacity.

I would much rather add a little bulk and use either a .25 acp or .32acp semi-auto.

Better yet add just a little more bulk for a compact 9mm.

I think the same thing about the Bond Arms Texas Defender.

http://bondarms.com/bond-arms-handguns/texas-defender/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:41 pm

Two rounds does not compute. MAYBE as a last ditch back up gun or something, but even then i dunno.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:17 pm

I could see it in a gritty remake of Pulp Fiction.

"Your father gave me this gun in Afghanistan when we were prisoners. I carried it in my ass for 5 years until I got out. He wanted you to have it."

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:13 pm

In a time when multiple attackers is quite common no honest man needs more than two rounds.

Okay, okay, the paraphrase needs work but damn, the amount of effort they've put into this gun and it's a failure. Wow. It's a double shot, how complicated can it be? :|

Off note: can someone answer this. I have a knife that states the metal then "Earth". This gun states where it's made then "Earth". Do we have interplanetary travel and I'm just out of the loop? Why do they state "Earth" on some items. I've seen some other things apart from guns/knives that have this as well. I'm not tin foil about it but is there something I'm missing?
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:07 pm

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... QaI-pB_Sy0[/YouTube]

Found out why Heizer split with whoever is makign the doublederp now. Heizer defense: When a Judge is just too much gun!

Return to “Handguns”