.22 pistol for bugging out? Or just rifle

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

specops

.22 pistol for bugging out? Or just rifle

Post by specops » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:09 am

Would you take a .22 pistol for bugging out with a main pistol as well as a .22 rifle? I've been thinking about getting a .22 pistol for bugging out along with my g19, s&w mp 15-22, 12ga, and MBR. Should I get a revolver (ruger single six) or a semi auto (1911-22, mp 22) or a .22 upper for my glock.

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Re: .22 pistol for bugging out? Or just rifle

Post by buck85 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:06 am

yes
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:24 pm

I would get a Ruger MkIII. Accurate and reliable (as reliable as the ammunition anyway). They also have the 22/45 which is a copy of the 1911 grip if that's what you're into. I have no experience with them, so you'll need to do your own research.

Gregory Merlon

Post by Gregory Merlon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:53 pm

Depends on your situation, I think.

How many people are bugging out with to help carry that load, and are you going by foot, or vehicle?

Five guns plus accompanying ammunition would be pretty rough for one person to lug around, let alone other survival supplies. But if you have the means of easily transporting it, by all means.

As far as the exact choice of the options you presented, that would depend greatly on your intended use (trainer for your centerfire handgun, discreet game-getter, etc...)
"Don't listen to the folks who say these things aren't practical. You just have to know what they are capable of and what their limits are. They're really good for a leaving a blood trail so the cops can find the guy that stabbed you to death with a broken bottle." ~ Yossarian

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:00 pm

Depends hugely on why/when/where/how you are bugging out, and for how long. For most of the realistic reasons I can think of that I might bug out, a CC defensive pistol would be all would take firearm wise... So what are the circumstances you are thinking of?

specops

Post by specops » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:20 pm

Well I don't plan to bug in at all. I would be bugging out to Colorado/black hills. I could drive a majority of the way if possible, if not i have a place in eastern South Dakota. But i wouldnt be coming back if it was a serious thing( emp, disease, etc). I probably wouldnt make human contact for a long time either. I work out with my bob often so I can carry a lot with it. But my questions would be like if I was out hunting with a large caliber rifle would I have a defensive pistol on me or a .22 pistol or my .22 rifle on my back?

Sikiguya

Post by Sikiguya » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:14 pm

Gonna go with rifle 4 versatility

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

specops

Post by specops » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:24 pm

Sikiguya wrote:Gonna go with rifle 4 versatility

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

So you would hunt with your main rifle then just have the .22 rifle on a sling for small game? Would you carry you regular defense side arm as well then?

fred.greek

Post by fred.greek » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:46 pm

If I had to leave, never to be able to return, with just one weapon and "x" pounds of ammo, it would be a .22 LR pistol.

Belair56

Post by Belair56 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:39 am

Good Luck finding .22lr now.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:11 am

Belair56 wrote:Good Luck finding .22lr now.
Just go to your web browser and type gunbot.net
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Gregory Merlon

Post by Gregory Merlon » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:03 pm

In this case, between the .22 rifle and the .22 pistol, I'd probably go with a good scoped .22 target pistol (like a Ruger Mk II or a Browning Buckmark, etc). Another long gun on foot would be kind of bulky and unwieldy to me if I didn't have to carry it. But depending on the social circumstances at the time, a full size service pistol might be better too, if actual combat could reasonably be expected.
"Don't listen to the folks who say these things aren't practical. You just have to know what they are capable of and what their limits are. They're really good for a leaving a blood trail so the cops can find the guy that stabbed you to death with a broken bottle." ~ Yossarian

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:49 am

I wouldn't think 2 pistols is too much to take. I'm not sure what a .22lr pistol can do that a rifle can't, but who knows. If your already carrying a "normal SD sidearm", I don't see it's benefit. But if you do see a benefit and it's greater than the weight of that handgun, then go ahead and tote it. I went is a Chiappa 1911-22 because we already have 1911 and have the holsters already. Along with it being a cheaper alternative for when ammo gets scarce. A single six would be great if you were carrying one in .357 and one in .22. Just make sure you get different grips that are notably different so you don't get confused.
The future is for those who prepare.

mr.trooper

Post by mr.trooper » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:20 pm

One of the shorter barreled Ruger MKIIIs with a micro red dot would be awesome for a good many things.

I like the P22 as well, but you wold need one of those goody bridge mounts for any kind of optic... and the trigger sucks for making accurate shots with the irons.
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:23 pm

I have a Ruger Mk II and 10/22 in my battery, along with a pair of AK's and G35's.

I'm not carrying all this myself, and my family is not entirely foot-mobile.

If I were to go it alone (or go ahead to reconnoiter an area alone), I would likely OC the AK and Mk II, and CC the G35.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

UndeadInfidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead

Post by UndeadInfidel » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:28 pm

mr.trooper wrote:One of the shorter barreled Ruger MKIIIs with a micro red dot would be awesome for a good many things.

I like the P22 as well, but you wold need one of those goody bridge mounts for any kind of optic... and the trigger sucks for making accurate shots with the irons.
Don't count out the Buckmark.

http://i.imgur.com/hPfx6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For a pack gun, the only one I'd consider otherwise would be the Ruger 22/45 lite. It's a nice pack gun because it weighs so little.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:08 pm

If you are already bringing a .22lr rifle for possible small game hunting post SHTF, I think bringing a .22 pistol to do the same thing is overkill if you are traveling alone. One option you did mention, the Glock .22lr slide conversion would be a good idea, because if you run out of 9mm ammo for your Glock 19, you can switch the slides and use your .22 ammo so you can still use your pistol. The Glock conversion slide will take up minimal space and weight compared to a 1911-22 or an M&P 22 and honestly hunting small game with those pistol would be real tough. If you are traveling in a group, the .22 pistol would make more sense over the conversion slide. SHTF you have the Glock 19 while the wife or girlfriend has the M&P .22

One option though with traveling alone with that many guns would be a long barreled .22 pistol INSTEAD of a .22 rifle for hunting. A Ruger single six would be excellent because you can use both .22lr and .22mag. If you have a MBR, a Shotgun, and a M&P 15-22 how are you going to carry them all?

Al Lipscomb

Post by Al Lipscomb » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:34 pm

I would second the idea of the .22 handgun in place of the .22 rifle. A good .22 rim fire revolver can be very useful for small game hunting. The savings in size and weight will be noticed if you have to go anywhere on foot.
---
AA4YU CISSP

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:07 pm

specops wrote:Well I don't plan to bug in at all. I would be bugging out to Colorado/black hills. I could drive a majority of the way if possible, if not i have a place in eastern South Dakota. But i wouldnt be coming back if it was a serious thing( emp, disease, etc). I probably wouldnt make human contact for a long time either. I work out with my bob often so I can carry a lot with it. But my questions would be like if I was out hunting with a large caliber rifle would I have a defensive pistol on me or a .22 pistol or my .22 rifle on my back?
I have a few observations. First, why don't you have a plan that involves bugging in? In many disasters, bugging in is often the best choice. It sounds like you're assuming that the only thing that can go wrong is one that destroys your home or makes it unlivable, but that is not true of many types of disasters, at least where I live.

Finally, you say that you plan to bug out to the hills and "wouldn't make human contact for a long time." Please take this with all due respect, but I'd expect someone with those skills to know enough about survival to decide for himself whether he needs a .22 pistol. Perhaps you should try a mock bug out and see how it goes? The best way to learn is by doing, but by being safe in the process. Take a friend, take a cell phone and make sure someone knows where you're going and when you plan to return.

To address the question, though, I agree with maldon007--for most bug out situations, a regular CC pistol (assuming it is legal where you live and that you have the proper license) and a couple of spare magazines should be more than enough. Even in a full blown zombie apocalypse, the most I'd ever take would be a rifle, chest rig w/ spare mags and a pistol w/ spare mags. I'd use the rest of that weight for important things like critical tools and the even more critical water and food.

If you're familiar with the distinction between a BOB and an INCH ("I'm Never Coming Home"), then I'd say no to the .22 pistol for the BOB, but yes for the INCH.
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:05 pm

I'll be honest, if I am bugging out alone, and on foot, my Ruger Mark III is the only gun going with me unless its WROL. Even then, read about what happened to obviously armed folks in New Orleans in the Katrina aftermath...

My reasoning on why only the .22 is as such: Easily concealable, can carry a LOT of ammo for it, and have 6 mags ready to go, will drop most small game from "mean ole dogs" on down to a pigeon without destroying dinner, and maybe enough of a deterrent if i *really* needed to deter someone... Certainly not first choice for that... But I think that would be the least likely need for it in a standard Bugout for fire/earthquake in my AO.

Now, in a vehicle, it's a different story...
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

missouri dave

Post by missouri dave » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:44 pm

If the question is a 22 rifle and a 22 pistol, as well as centerfire pistol and rifle, while bugging out on foot the answer is no. Can't see the point in duplication. While bugging out in a vehicle my answer might very well be different.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I recquire the same of them.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:53 pm

For my purposes, a .22 pistol--and no other firearm--would be suitable for a bug out on foot.

smokestax

Post by smokestax » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:36 pm

thoughts on which is the best rifle vary, but as far as a .22 hand gun i would choose my ruger .22 single six with the .22 mag option....the mag is a good in between round that you wouldnt have to pack a ton of extra ammo with...just enough for those odd ball jobs that may come along. other than that a g36 and a good marlin 30-30 should be all you need.
WWRD...what would Reagan do? http:/southeasternexcursions.webs.com/

mough

Post by mough » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:21 am

Is it just me or does it seem like the OP is bugging out with way too many firearms? 2 pistols, 2 rifles, and a shotgun seems a bit... over encumbering to me.

Return to “Handguns”