9x18mm Mak

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
Slugg
* * * * *
Posts: 1801
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:35 pm
Location: Butts County Georgia

9x18mm Mak

Post by Slugg » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:37 pm

So if you were to have a daily carry or SHTF handgun in 9mm Mak, would you carry HP or FMJ. I'm just thinking FMJ will get further penetration vs the expansion factor of the HP. Please don't start about the effectiveness or knock down power and all that. I'm just curious to what you guys think would be more effective to stop threats.
Image
The future is for those who prepare.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: 9x18mm Mak

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:40 pm

Hornady Critical defense penetrates well enough and expands. 13" penetration, IIRC. FMJs get more like 21" penetration. I'd take the Hornadys any day over an FMJ.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
BattleVersion
* *
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:07 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: RE Extinction, Night of the living Dead.
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: 9x18mm Mak

Post by BattleVersion » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:38 pm

I have been carrying these in my P-64.
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... tail&p=220
The work well on paper, I haven't had a chance to test them in gel yet...
I personally feel more comfortable with the extra penetration of a fmj in 9x18. :words:
Image
Image Credit goes to Morbid_Mistress

I'm Just Trying To Do The Opposite Of Left,
As Long As There Is The Opposite Of Death.
Tested, And I Might Just Bring The Opposite Of Life,
Till There's No One The Opposite Of Right...
-Fiasco-

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 205
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: 9x18mm Mak

Post by Smash05 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:46 pm

I need a feed ramp polish first, so for now Tula fmj, has a flatter meplat
Those who are prepared to help themselves, are prepared to help others.

User avatar
ultra magnus
* * * * *
Posts: 1619
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:10 am

Re: 9x18mm Mak

Post by ultra magnus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:38 pm

BattleVersion wrote:I have been carrying these in my P-64.
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... tail&p=220
The work well on paper, I haven't had a chance to test them in gel yet...
I personally feel more comfortable with the extra penetration of a fmj in 9x18. :words:
I would not run that stuff in a P64.

User avatar
MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 2251
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:28 am

Re: 9x18mm Mak

Post by MaconCJ7 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:11 pm

Slugg wrote:So if you were to have a daily carry or SHTF handgun in 9mm Mak, would you carry HP or FMJ. I'm just thinking FMJ will get further penetration vs the expansion factor of the HP. Please don't start about the effectiveness or knock down power and all that. I'm just curious to what you guys think would be more effective to stop threats.
So you want to know what's more effective, while not hearing about effectiveness? Fair enough. Good HP will be more effective at stopping a threat.
Image

User avatar
BattleVersion
* *
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:07 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: RE Extinction, Night of the living Dead.
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: 9x18mm Mak

Post by BattleVersion » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:45 pm

ultra magnus wrote: I would not run that stuff in a P64.
May I ask why?
Image
Image Credit goes to Morbid_Mistress

I'm Just Trying To Do The Opposite Of Left,
As Long As There Is The Opposite Of Death.
Tested, And I Might Just Bring The Opposite Of Life,
Till There's No One The Opposite Of Right...
-Fiasco-

User avatar
phalanx
* * * *
Posts: 948
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: 9x18mm Mak

Post by phalanx » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:50 pm

BattleVersion wrote:
ultra magnus wrote: I would not run that stuff in a P64.
May I ask why?
I'm guessing it's a pressure issue, but that's off the cuff.
ninja-elbow wrote: ZSC:011 Oregon: We Bug Out wet, dry, at the coast or the high desert ... maybe even the mountains, in a town or in a valley or something....
"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

eeb
* * * *
Posts: 877
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:25 pm

Re: 9x18mm Mak

Post by eeb » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:26 pm

MaconCJ7 wrote:
Slugg wrote:So if you were to have a daily carry or SHTF handgun in 9mm Mak, would you carry HP or FMJ. I'm just thinking FMJ will get further penetration vs the expansion factor of the HP. Please don't start about the effectiveness or knock down power and all that. I'm just curious to what you guys think would be more effective to stop threats.
So you want to know what's more effective, while not hearing about effectiveness? Fair enough. Good HP will be more effective at stopping a threat.
I had to read that a couple times. I think he meant the 9x18s knock down power versus something like 9x19 or 45 ACP, etc. You know, a real cartridge :lol:
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

User avatar
m ellis allen
* * *
Posts: 702
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:52 pm
Location: Maine

Re: 9x18mm Mak

Post by m ellis allen » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:24 pm

phalanx wrote:
BattleVersion wrote:
ultra magnus wrote: I would not run that stuff in a P64.
May I ask why?
I'm guessing it's a pressure issue, but that's off the cuff.
thats correct. i asked about it over at the p64 forum (yes there actually is one) and it was a pretty firm no. it may work for one mag. it may work through 100. i wouldnt risk it if it was me.



on topic. FMJ
zombies are notoriously bad drivers
lunicy wrote:Mosins doesn't have Kool aid. It would have to be vodka and coffee,mixed with cosmoline, made with mud, in a hat. Mosins are too rough for kool aid.

User avatar
steppenwolf
* * *
Posts: 503
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:12 pm
Location: UNSEEN IN ALL THE RIGHT PLACES ...

Re: 9x18mm Mak

Post by steppenwolf » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:22 pm

BattleVersion wrote:I have been carrying these in my P-64.
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... tail&p=220
The work well on paper, I haven't had a chance to test them in gel yet...
I personally feel more comfortable with the extra penetration of a fmj in 9x18. :words:
BB 9x18mm 115gn Hardcast @ 1000fps.
Man, I'm liking to try 12+1 rds of that in my CZ 82.

User avatar
TDW586
* * * * *
Posts: 8844
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:03 pm
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Re: 9x18mm Mak

Post by TDW586 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:24 am

Buffalo Bore is notorious for inflating their energy and velocity figures, unfortunately. Still good ammo, but their marketing department is...creative with the chrono results.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
Image

Trebor
* * * * *
Posts: 4443
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:14 am

Re: 9x18mm Mak

Post by Trebor » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:37 pm

As long as you realize 9x18mm is closer to .380 ACP than 9x19mm it's a fine round. Just know what to expect.

Personally, I'd go with those Hornady rounds. They reportedly penetrate well enough to meet FBI specs, which is important, and some expansion would be nice.
Image
----
R.I.P HK33K - Gone, but not forgetten.

User avatar
crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 16637
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: City of Saint Louis

Re: 9x18mm Mak

Post by crypto » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:54 pm

I enjoyed shooting the Critical Defense rounds through my CZ-82 when I had it. They fed reliably and had good flash retardants in the powder mix, so there wasnt a large fireball at night.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Image
Image

Post Reply

Return to “Handguns”