More than 1
11%
I have them ALL!
No votes

Total votes: 55

Siggy01

Battle of the Glock Generations

Post by Siggy01 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:04 pm

New pistols are always being released, updated, discontinued, ect. Glocks have been around for a long time and are among some of the most popular handguns. After firing my buddies Glock 27 a few years ago, I decided to pick up my first Glock, a 23 gen 3. Then last year I picked up a 27 gen 4, mostly for easier CC when I want something bigger than my LCP. The Gen 4 had a few key differences, which have been gone over in countless other forums. Me personally, enjoy the new magazine release, but not so much the new grip texture as it seems to rub against my skin a bit in a irritating way, but it came with an extra magazine.

In my opinion, even with the newest features on the Gen 4 Glocks, I find myself enjoying the older Gen 3's more. What made you guys and gals decide on one generation over the other? Or maybe you have both? Or maybe you've had a Glock since they were first released? Please share your opinions on your Glocks over the years. (Oh, and please lets not make it a caliber debate, just generations, lol)
"What do you mean pass the salt!? Just eat me and get it over with!"

JDLampy

Re: Battle of the Glock Generations

Post by JDLampy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:49 pm

I was given my first glock which is a 19 gen 2. I plan on getting a gen 4 19 eventually and keep my gen 2.

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:51 pm

Dumb question maybe, and if it's been addressed in another thread, apologies. Maybe hit me with a link?

Identifying Glock generations. Gen 4 seems like it's pretty easy to spot because of the grip texturing and exchangeable backstraps, mag releases, etc. Any tricks to figuring out what generation your Glock is if you don't have a Gen 4? Also, for relatively recent models of Glock (Glock 36, for example), if there have been no 'improvements' or updates is it considered a Gen 1 G36, or Gen 3 because (I think) that's what was being produced when the G36 came about? What about the 'SF' models? Are we currently in the Gen 1 Glock 21SF, or is it a Gen 3 or 4?

I think I have a Gen 3 G19 (purchased it about 3 years ago and I know it's not a Gen 4), any way to be sure? I also have a G36, G26, G21, and G21SF. What about those?
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:02 pm

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:07 pm

Browning 35 wrote:Here ya go...
Glock Frame Identification (*Click*)
Great link, Browning! Thanks! I can immediately tell I've got a Gen 3 G19 based on the pictures, I would have to pull out my others to be for sure.

Is the frame the only thing that changes? Any internals?
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:12 pm

"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:27 pm

DannusMaximus wrote:
Browning 35 wrote:Here ya go...
Glock Frame Identification (*Click*)
Great link, Browning! Thanks! I can immediately tell I've got a Gen 3 G19 based on the pictures, I would have to pull out my others to be for sure.

Is the frame the only thing that changes? Any internals?
AFAIK there's no difference in the lower internals between 1st, 2nd or 3rd generations just so long as it's the right model number.

For instance when looking at/buying parts I've never encountered ads where it specified that it had to be used in a specific generation to work with the exception of some 4th Gen parts. In which case it'll say 'This assembly works on 4th Gen GLOCK models Blah blah and blah *DOES NOT FIT OTHER GENERATIONS'.

I would imagine it's only a few gen specific parts of the Gen 4's, but I can't say with any sort of authority. Check it out with an actual smith.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Matt E.

Post by Matt E. » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:32 pm

The 2nd pin in the locking block became standard across all models on the gen 3 guns. Before that, 9 mm models only had one pin.
"...And you would probably wind up with one of those souvenir miniature bats, because that is the kind of thing that happens when untrained people pick out unfamiliar equipment based on what "feels" right."

Faydee

Post by Faydee » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:37 pm

i got a gen 4 GLOCK 17 cause i had had Gen3's in the past and when buying a brand new pistol that day the Gen4 was only $50 more // gen 3 gen 4 makes no difference to me except the adjustable backstrap is very nice on the guns to help fit your hand better.

i'd reccomend get what feels good to you as always

x-five

Post by x-five » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:54 am

Definetely the 3rd gen. No offense, but I think 4th is crap

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Hm, no pic of the, 'Gen 2.5' frame (single pin 9mm, light rail on front, not finger grooves)

RTF2's are my favorite.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

RTF_Squared
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland. Resident Evil Degeneration.

Post by RTF_Squared » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:43 pm

Dave_M wrote:Hm, no pic of the, 'Gen 2.5' frame (single pin 9mm, light rail on front, not finger grooves)

RTF2's are my favorite.
Me too. The grip texture sucks against bare skin but everything else is tits. The Gen3 feels like a bar of soap by comparison. Plus there is always the super fun "what generation is that?" and "where did you get the custom slide from?" The RTF2 seems to be pretty unknown overall based on the people I have spoken Glocks with in person. Most people selling them on Armslist seem to think they have Gen4's. Obviously don't know their stuff very well.
Brought to you by Carl's Junior.

alptraum

Post by alptraum » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:24 pm

Gen4 is my favorite. I like the changes made. I own both Gen 3 and 4. I actually like the finger grooves so I'm not really a fan of the Gen 1 and 2. I plan on getting a few more and they will all be Gen 4.

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:54 pm

RTF_Squared wrote:
Dave_M wrote:Hm, no pic of the, 'Gen 2.5' frame (single pin 9mm, light rail on front, not finger grooves)

RTF2's are my favorite.
Me too. The grip texture sucks against bare skin but everything else is tits. The Gen3 feels like a bar of soap by comparison. Plus there is always the super fun "what generation is that?" and "where did you get the custom slide from?" The RTF2 seems to be pretty unknown overall based on the people I have spoken Glocks with in person. Most people selling them on Armslist seem to think they have Gen4's. Obviously don't know their stuff very well.
Same here. I love my RTF2. If I had my way, without custom work, I'd have the RTF2 fishgills, RTF2 frame with the Gen 4 mag release, and the Gen 1 lack of finger grooves. I still want a '86 serial numbered Gen 1, as it's my birth year, and I believe the first year they were in the U.S.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:33 am

none. Bah Humbug!
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:04 am

Gen 3 G26

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:49 pm

Ten Eight wrote:
RTF_Squared wrote:

RTF2's are my favorite.
Same here. I love my RTF2. If I had my way, without custom work, I'd have the RTF2 fishgills, RTF2 frame with the Gen 4 mag release, and the Gen 1 lack of finger grooves. I still want a '86 serial numbered Gen 1, as it's my birth year, and I believe the first year they were in the U.S.
Another RTF2 owner here, took me forever to find one in my price range, but I love it. Makes me frowny that they never made a G26 in the RTF2. I suppose I could cut down a G19 RTF2, but.. but... but.......

10:8's got the business with his setup - my only change would be a Gen2 front grip (I like the texture and the Gen1's didn't have texture) and something like the Gripforce Adapter as a stock option on the backstraps.

NXP

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:26 pm

For those that don't like finger grooves they're super easy to get rid of. I used an exacto knife to shave off the bulk of them on my 19. From there get avice and a korian 30rnd mag. Take the slide off and clamp the mag in the vise so the front strap is up. Take about a foot of cloth sand paper about 1.5 in wide and do like a shoe shine motion over the front strap. This will smooth down evenly and cymetricaly. Take a wood burner and stipple to your liking. Mine is a semi aggressive series of about 1/4 in long horizontal stipples.

Edit- I have 3x3rd gens and a 4th gen. 4th gen is my fave just for the mag release and changable backstraps. It wears the medium backstrap cut in half horizontally. From butt to beavertail cutting the backstrap slightly changes the backstrap angle. I'm not a fan of the glock humps.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

RTF_Squared
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland. Resident Evil Degeneration.

Post by RTF_Squared » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:30 am

Ten Eight wrote:
I had to have a gilled Glock if I was selling my soul to Gaston and his evil hammerless pistols.

I like the Gen4 grip texture and mag release, that with RTF2 gills would be awesome for EDC. The texture feels like a comfortable medium between "Bar O Soap Gen3s and "expect a rash without a shirt between you and Glock" RTF2s. For a rougher nastier Glock the front and backstrap textures of standard Gen3s with RTF2 everything else would be sweet. I had to have a gilled Glock if I was selling my soul to Gaston and his evil hammerless pistols. It takes me a lot of self control not to find out how an

northernxposure wrote: Another RTF2 owner here, took me forever to find one in my price range, but I love it. Makes me frowny that they never made a G26 in the RTF2. I suppose I could cut down a G19 RTF2, but.. but... but.......

10:8's got the business with his setup - my only change would be a Gen2 front grip (I like the texture and the Gen1's didn't have texture) and something like the Gripforce Adapter as a stock option on the backstraps.

NXP
No buts, cut your Glock! Then cut another one! Especially if it's an RTF2 just to piss off all the other people who hate "weapons butchers" who had equal opportunity to buy it themselves to save it from your ruthless rotary tool! :twisted:
Brought to you by Carl's Junior.

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:16 am

I'm extremeeely tempted to cut my RTF 17 down to 26 size and throw on a 26 Lone Wolf slide with a RMR. I love the texture that much. I don't know if that's even possible, but it'd be cool as hell. I don't know if I have the sack to cut my frame. Even a little bit.

ShooterMike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead - Zack Snyder version
The Professionals
The Wild Bunch
Sinners & Saints

Post by ShooterMike » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:40 am

Only 4 people who own more than one generation of Gock? I figured most people who own a Gen4 would already own a Gen3...like me.

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:12 pm

Ten Eight wrote:I'm extremeeely tempted to cut my RTF 17 down to 26 size and throw on a 26 Lone Wolf slide with a RMR. I love the texture that much. I don't know if that's even possible, but it'd be cool as hell. I don't know if I have the sack to cut my frame. Even a little bit.
Don't think the G17 to G26 would work, whole new top end is mandatory and I think there's something weird with the frame around the locking block that would need to be massaged heavily. A G17 chopped to a G26 does look a little funky too. I think an RTF2 G19 would be the best place to start gnawing a frame down.

I still don't have the stones to do it. Police trade in G22? Sure, I'll take a crack at it. My beloved RTF2 I've been after for a while? Nope. Not yet. I gotta find some sucker to let me practice a bit first.

NXP

Return to “Handguns”