28 weeks later
land of the dead
diary of the dead (very well done)

Re: Considering a Double Action .357

Post by jeremy1391 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:47 pm

I own a ruger GP100 6" and love it! :clap:

Get the ruger you won't regret it.
the_klenzer wrote:
And finally.... if you are drunk enough, and your buddy dares you...
just tell yourself "if it's good enough for Les Stroud..."

maine1
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, land of the dead, 28 days later, 28 weeks later. Original Dawn of the dead...any zombie movie is ok, some are better than others.

Post by maine1 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:56 pm

The Smith revolvers are nice peices, generally with good triggers from the get go, and very strong.

The Rugers are Railroad engineered and overbuilt, more robust than the Smiths ( and one could argue just how much ruggedness past that of the smith is really needed), and a little heavier. The triggers in the past have not been as nice- but the newer ones i have shot of late are much improved.

If it were me, i'd get the GP-100 and do a little minor work on the trigger, and be happy. The GP is the Glock of revolvers, rugged, accurate, easy to work on, and will digest any hot 357 you care to shoot for its lifetime, and that of your kids. IME, its more pleasant to shoot hot loads in the Ruger due to its slightly grerater weight, but that is subjective.

If you happen to find a Stainless security six, they are a great buy, and the balance of those guns is very nice-ALMOST makes me not want to get a GP.

If you have the coin, get the Wiley Clapp GP-100, and you are DONE except for ammo, speedloaders, holster, and a few hundred hours of training.

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:43 am

I have a Ruger SP101 as my daily carry. I have enough other options that I don't just carry it due to only have the one option. I've never had a problem, it's comfortable. I even had a custom holsters made by Gunknut here on the board and it' held great for probably around 2 years now. Ruger Sp101 is something you will never regret buying, that is all I'm going to say about that.
Last edited by Slugg on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
The future is for those who prepare.

charlie fox

Post by charlie fox » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:53 am

I concur with most of the replies; a 3" stainless, fixed sight GP100 is about the best all-around .357 available. :grin:
"Lawyers, Guns and Money"

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

OFR Gunny

Post by OFR Gunny » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:16 am

charlie fox wrote:I concur with most of the replies; a 3" stainless, fixed sight GP100 is about the best all-around .357 available. :grin:
And a Colt Python is the best 357 if you can find one. :wink:

My CCW is a mid 1966 +/- Colt Python, blued, 4" bbl. It was often carried, seldom used and I won't piss ya'll off with the purchase price. Paid ~ half the going price. I also own a 6" blued Python.

One of the benefits of a 357 revolver is the ability to use two common calibers. When at the range, I generally put 48 rounds of 38 into the targets and then 12 or 18 rounds of 357. However, my daughter shoots better with 357 than 38.
I saw this in a cartoon once, but I think I can do it.

No man is wanted who does not come voluntarily to the standard of his country.
Brevet Brigadier General Archibald Henderson 5th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1820-1859

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:32 pm

Ruger SP101 owner here too.

I love Rugers revolvers. Well, most of their guns. I have a SR9c and 10/22 by them as well at the moment.

Jsimmonsgr

Post by Jsimmonsgr » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:17 pm

northernxposure wrote:Smith is very nice, but the Ruger can be cleaned up just as well. I prefer the 5" full lug on the Gp100 - perfect balance over the 6", and just a little more weight over the 4". It's an absolute pop-gun with 38's, full house 357M's are comfortable, and the 180BB loads are snappy but controllable.

As I already have the Ruger and am happy with it, I'd chase down an old cheap Security 6, lop the barrel down to 3", and give it a very minor melt (though nothing as serious as Urban Assaults - DAMN that was left in the oven a little long! She's SMOOTH!).

NXP

I also have the 5" GP-100. I bead blasted mine, and polished all the internals and some of the cylinder. It feels like the trigger ( in double action) is about 4 lbs lighter than factory but my trigger scale says its only about 2 lbs.

mine is similar to this one, I will try to post pics later tonight.

it started life pretty much identical to this...
J.
Gunsmith

Phone 480-217-4742 ( Let me know you are from ZS, I get a LOT of telemarketing calls and might be a bit gruff when I answer.)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sic Vis Pacem, Parabellum
Deus Vult
Rule#2 Dont be stingy with ammo, double tap!

nomad211

Post by nomad211 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:52 pm

A little background to hopefully aid in making a decision. .357's will fire .38 spl as well as the more powerful .357 magnum, which is a nice for a survival handgun, allowing two different calibers to be used depending on what you can beg, barter, or scrounge.
Cops used to practice with light loaded .38' because they were cheaper & more comfortable to shoot and they carried the more powerful magnums on duty. A few shootouts, & lawsuits, convinced them that the only common sense policy was to train with what they actually carried. But . . . the lightweight S&W K frames of that period couldn't stand up to the pounding of full power .357''s in training, so S&W introduced the beefier L frame 586/686's and Ruger ramped up their Security Six model to the more massive GP-100.
Excellent guns, both, with personal preference being the deciding factor. Most agree that the S&W has a better trigger pull from the factor & just plain looks better, but that's subjective.
Everyone agrees that the Ruger is built like a tank & will probably serve for decades with no problems.You pays your money and you make your choices, however, stainless is the only way to go.
One suggestion, though, with the switch over of all L.E. agencies to semi-auto handguns, THOUSANDS of quality used revolvers are on the market at far below new prices. take a look at a few before paying full price for a new one.

charadeur
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by charadeur » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:51 am

I'm a fan of the SP101 with a 3 or 4 inch barrel for a trail gun. It is light and fairly small. Most of the time I am packing a Airweight 38 snubnose but the black bears in our area are not what you would call problematic. They get hunted and will avoid you at all cost.

For target practice or hunting 6 or 7 inch. My 44 Blackhawk is the 7 in hunting model but it is darn heavy and it is only a trail gun when I am in grizzly country.
I may be the one walking away, but you're the one that's leaving.

101airborne

Post by 101airborne » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:00 am

Dooms wrote:I've got a K-frame 66 with a 2.5" barrel. I love it, but it makes a hell of a fireball with that short barrel and full house .357 magnum loads. Most of the time I shoot .38spl +p, as it handles that beautifully.

If I was going to shoot a lot of heavy .357 magnum loads, I'd probably pick up a 686+ with a 4" barrel. That little bit of extra weight with that little bit longer barrel would just about perfect. Plus you get that extra round (7), which is always nice.

I've also shot 6" full lug 686's, which are nice guns for target shooting, but definitely a bit longer and heavier than I would want to carry. (Assuming you ever want/need to carry it.)

Agreed I have one as well although mines blued. Awsome back up weapon.

steppenwolf

Post by steppenwolf » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:52 am

goblin wrote:I bought a used Ruger Security Six at a gunshow from a private seller for only $350. 21/2 inch barrel stainless. Would make a great trail carry. I use it as a bedsider.
This, ...

Similar gun show find in my case.
I stumbled across a slightly-shot Ruger Police Service Six - a blue, fixed sight, 3" .357 magnum wheelie.
A long retired cop had been its previous and only owner and it was minty. Paid $450 for it.
Great trigger (for a Ruger), super accurate for a snubby, and it carries well w/o snagging.
Still prefer my 10mm G29 for EDC, but if I was going to pack a revolver this would be it. RIght size, right caliber.
Wouldn't trade it for a S&W. No need to.
8-)
Last edited by steppenwolf on Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't usually listen to Nickelback, but when I do I prefer this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxgeSv88 ... re=channel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MOLON LABE
It's a Spartan thing ... You wouldn't understand.

steppenwolf

Post by steppenwolf » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:49 am

Since some have volunteered pics of their wheelies, here's a recent one of my .357 3" Ruger Police Service Six, along side an old Taurus 85 CH in .38 SpecialEd.

The 85 is an older one I picked up way back in 1989 or 90.
Only things mod-ed on it were adding the Pachmyr's and having my 'smith smooth-out the DAO trigger.
Accuracy at close range (i.e., room distance) is adequate.

8-)

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:11 pm

As far as revolvers go I've always been partial to Smith and Wesson as opposed to Ruger.

There's nothing wrong with Ruger, however they feel a little off balance and look a bit funky to me. They are built like tanks though.

Just something about those Smiths that draw me in, especially those older models with the birds head hammer and gloss blue finish.

S&W 586 in .357 Mag w/a 6' Barrel

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

steppenwolf

Post by steppenwolf » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:10 pm

Browning 35 wrote:As far as revolvers go I've always been partial to Smith and Wesson as opposed to Ruger.

There's nothing wrong with Ruger, however they feel a little off balance and look a bit funky to me. They are built like tanks though.

Just something about those Smiths that draw me in, especially those older models with the birds head hammer and gloss blue finish.

S&W 586 in .357 Mag w/a 6' Barrel
The only problem I've really had w/ S&W magnums is their well-known tendency to shaky loose after a steady digest of magnum loads. That doesn't happen w/ Ruger wheelies. Smith's .357 N-frames are fine, but pounding .357 loads thru K-frame model 13s or 66s will make them all shakey-bakey pretty quick.
N-frame .44 mags have had similar issues after undergoing too many hot jackhammer loads.
That's why a lot of guys either handload down in power or shoot .44 Special Ed loads thru their 29s/629s.
I do like and have owned a number of S&W revolvers, including a beautiful model 25 in .45LC with a 4" barrel.
But the Rugers, for the money you invest, have it over the Smith's in durability.
Just my 2-cents.

Sen

Post by Sen » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:15 pm

Had a S&W 586. Didn't love it. Traded it for a GP100. Love it.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:24 pm

I've never had an issue.

Shoot about 50-50 .38 Spl to .357 Mag. The half .38's is just because they're cheap. The other is either defensive or hunting ammo. It's kind of been taking a backseat to that 10mm lately, but been going for years and years.

Rugers are a bit stronger, but it's not like S&W is some kinda slouch in that dept. :Shrug
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

RustyG
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by RustyG » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:33 pm

I owned a 586 years ago and regret selling it. I currently have and love two GP 100's a 3" and a 6". The 3" stainless with adjustable sights is fantastic.
It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.
Hunter S. Thompson
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.
Mike Tyson

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:03 am

A Dan Wesson 357 with pistol pack and a 686 stainless with 4" barrel.

Both are great guns but the 686 is my brush gun/beater.

I love true double action pistols.

charlie fox

Post by charlie fox » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:44 pm

OFR Gunny wrote:
charlie fox wrote:I concur with most of the replies; a 3" stainless, fixed sight GP100 is about the best all-around .357 available. :grin:
And a Colt Python is the best 357 if you can find one. :wink:

My CCW is a mid 1966 +/- Colt Python, blued, 4" bbl. It was often carried, seldom used and I won't piss ya'll off with the purchase price. Paid ~ half the going price. I also own a 6" blued Python.

One of the benefits of a 357 revolver is the ability to use two common calibers. When at the range, I generally put 48 rounds of 38 into the targets and then 12 or 18 rounds of 357. However, my daughter shoots better with 357 than 38.
I agree that the Python is a very nice gun (I owned one many moons ago) I would submit that today it's too nice to use! The price and availability of parts may make me think twice about daily carry.
"Lawyers, Guns and Money"

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Neville

Post by Neville » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:03 pm

I like the Ruger GP. It's a little bigger and heavier than necessary. Which generally speaking make it a pleasant gun to shoot, even in such a powerful caliber.

The Ruger is well supported with aftermarket accessories. But the only one I wanted for mine was a set of 3-dot fiber optic sights which I have to say are FAN-FREAKIN-TASTIC.

I have a couple of Smith revolvers but they leave me a little flat. I suppose it's like the old "Ford vs. Chevy" or "New York vs Chicago" (pizzas). Check them both out, handle them, and shoot them if possible. No doubt the up-close and personal experience will show you which one you like better.

veamon

Post by veamon » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:30 am

I have a Taurus 651that I love. Smooth trigger, not too heavy, and about $600 brand new.

Return to “Handguns”