Considering a Double Action .357

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

RagnarökAwaits
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Considering a Double Action .357

Post by RagnarökAwaits » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:01 pm

I want to get a double action .357/.38 revolver. I've been checking out the Ruger GP-100 and SP-101. My primary purpose for it will be target shooting. I may carry it as a trail and farm gun. Is the S&W 686 worth the extra money? Is a 4' or a 6' better for my purposes? My budget is around $800 with a little wiggle room, preferably a little less than that.
-RagnarökAwaits
Do not speak to me of the crunch, you know nothing of the crunch - Saboo

Not all who wonder are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

Stercutus

Re: Considering a Double Action .357

Post by Stercutus » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:02 pm

The 686 is a really nice, really big gun. If your primary purpose is target shooting a 6" barrel will be more accurate generally. If your primary purpose is trail gun the 4" is a bit lighter.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

223shootersc

Post by 223shootersc » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:08 pm

either of the Rugers will serve you and your grand children well

alptraum

Post by alptraum » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:14 pm

I think the 686 is worth the extra money. That's not to say either Ruger is in any way a bad gun. You really can't go wrong with either way. Just go look at at them and see which you prefer. The 6" barrel would certainly be better for target shooting. Though I'd recommend the 4" if you plan to carry it much. Personally I prefer the size of 4" models.

Sheriff McClelland

Post by Sheriff McClelland » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:50 pm

Buy the Ruger and spend the rest on ammo . Nothing wrong with S&W but the Ruger will do the job just as well .
"Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up. "

troyniss

Post by troyniss » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:58 pm

Greetings. First post here.

I HIGHLY recommend getting a S&W 686 or 586. I personally have the 586, the only difference being is the blued finish. Other than that there is no difference between performance. I had been searching for a 686/586 for so long and finally came across one that I couldn't pass up.

I purchased mine for $900, so if you are willing to dish out the extra $100, I would, and you will not be disappointed. As the others said, if target shooting, go with the 6", but for carry or self defense, the 4" is just right--- balanced, not too heavy and still very intimidating--- and mind you, people will stare when that bad boy goes off. Something about a .357 S&W that brings all the boys to the yard. Double action and single action. Single action has the perfect amount of trigger pull, almost non existent.

Mine came with the stock wood grips, which are comfortable, but after a while you feel that its not perfect. I purchased a pair of Hogue grips and let me tell you, they are the best grips ever. Especially with the finger inlays you cannot go wrong.

If you are looking for something cheaper, the Taurus makes a decent .357, but it is weird to hold and just doesn't have the same quality of a S&W. I have looked into the Ruger GP100, but ultimately the S&W is the cream of the crop so to say. Build quality, history, overall performance, you cannot go wrong.

I have not personally shot a Ruger or a Taures, but, with ammo prices going up and availability going down, Ruger might be a good start as others said. I don't doubt the qualityr either ( I have a Ruger 10/22 and love it). With the ability to shoot .38S and .357 you should be able to make it work. Just to let you know, I paid $38 for 20rds of Federal HP .357---- while 50rds of .38S for $21.

Here are some pictures.

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:52 am

One of my favorite calibers and the 686 is one of my favorite .357 delivery systems. The Rugers are nice, but the Smiths are worth the extra money in my opinion. I found a 686 no dash that looked like someone had wrapped in a saltwater soaked towel and placed in their closet for 20 years for next to nothing. Had it sandblasted and cerakoted and it turned out great!

Before:

After

The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

Sheriff McClelland

Post by Sheriff McClelland » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:56 am

Wow , that's a beauty Mav ! 8-)
"Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up. "

iron_angel

Post by iron_angel » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:06 pm

Frankly, unless you just really love the Smith, I think the Ruger GP-100 is every bit as good. Get the Ruger and spend the difference on ammo or reloading supplies. Of course, you might consider Taurus, too. I'm not a fan of their semiautomatics, but I've shot quite a few of their revolvers and have been favorably impressed. Never had an issue that wasn't either my fault or shite ammo, and crap ammo can gum up the best gun in the world. Check out the Tracker 627 - the fact that you get seven rounds is rather nice, and the sights are surprisingly good.

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:11 pm

Both are great guns. See which one fits your hand the best and/or which double action or single action (however you intend to use it) trigger feels best to you. Buy that one.

Don't be afraid of used guns. You can get a really nice (sometimes nicer than new) used revolver for a big savings over the price of a new one.
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Chirpy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, Dead Snow

Post by Chirpy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:09 pm

I like Ruger GP-100s. Had three, one ended up with an ex-girlfriend when she became an ex (and yes I was too chicken to ask for it back) and two more were liberated from me by poor oppressed self-employed income redistributionists in two separate incidents.

But I'd like a fourth, maybe I could keep it.
"And I prep not because I'm scared of someone coming to take from me, but rather because I fear not being able to render help to those who have helped me. "

phractal - 4/2/13

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:12 pm

Thats true. Neither 686's nor the GP series are known for lockwork timing issues, so you can use the discount factor for used hardware to really let you buy a nicer model than you could afford new.

They are both fantastic pistols, and I agree with Pete: See which one you like better. I know guys who love S&W but still buy Rugers just because they feel better in their hands.

One benefit of a stainless gun is that you can polish out almost any light scratch in it to restore it to new-looking condition in a way you cannot do with a blued gun.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:16 pm

I've got a K-frame 66 with a 2.5" barrel. I love it, but it makes a hell of a fireball with that short barrel and full house .357 magnum loads. Most of the time I shoot .38spl +p, as it handles that beautifully.

If I was going to shoot a lot of heavy .357 magnum loads, I'd probably pick up a 686+ with a 4" barrel. That little bit of extra weight with that little bit longer barrel would just about perfect. Plus you get that extra round (7), which is always nice.

I've also shot 6" full lug 686's, which are nice guns for target shooting, but definitely a bit longer and heavier than I would want to carry. (Assuming you ever want/need to carry it.)

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:52 am

I already voted with my wallet, and would do so again...

-urban
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:05 pm

Smith is very nice, but the Ruger can be cleaned up just as well. I prefer the 5" full lug on the Gp100 - perfect balance over the 6", and just a little more weight over the 4". It's an absolute pop-gun with 38's, full house 357M's are comfortable, and the 180BB loads are snappy but controllable.

As I already have the Ruger and am happy with it, I'd chase down an old cheap Security 6, lop the barrel down to 3", and give it a very minor melt (though nothing as serious as Urban Assaults - DAMN that was left in the oven a little long! She's SMOOTH!).

NXP

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:25 pm

It truly feels like butter, no sharp edges anywhere on the pistol, and I was ecstatic to finally get rid of the stupid frelling safety billboard on the side of the barrel.

-urban
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

BJMadden85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of them...

Post by BJMadden85 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:57 pm

Throwing in my 2 cents... A .357 revolver is, in my opinion, a must have. A Ruger or Taurus will do well for what you said it was for: good price, good quality. A Smith & Wesson is definitely worth the extra money. Also S&W has 8-round versions also. And lastly barrel length for what you said: 4" will be the best balance between accuracy and size. If you can do what Maverick299 did, that will be best. His 686 looks amazing.
Brandon J. Madden, Esq.
ZS member
ZSC:017

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear. -Mark Twain

Viper shtf

Post by Viper shtf » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:10 pm

URBAN ASSAULT wrote:I already voted with my wallet, and would do so again...

-urban
I am in awe. What all did you have done to her, and was she a Security Six or Speed Six originally?
PistolPete wrote:Seriously, fashion is dumb. But my wife likes the way they make my ass look or the way you can follow the veins on my balls through the denim or something. Whatever. I can dress up once in a while.

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:52 pm

Maverick299 wrote:One of my favorite calibers and the 686 is one of my favorite .357 delivery systems. The Rugers are nice, but the Smiths are worth the extra money in my opinion. I found a 686 no dash that looked like someone had wrapped in a saltwater soaked towel and placed in their closet for 20 years for next to nothing. Had it sandblasted and cerakoted and it turned out great!

Before:

After

that sir, is my dream revolver. congratulations on that fine piece.
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:33 am

Viper shtf wrote:
URBAN ASSAULT wrote:I already voted with my wallet, and would do so again...

-urban
I am in awe. What all did you have done to her, and was she a Security Six or Speed Six originally?
Just a plain-Jane factory SP101... before I attacked her with a raging Dremel, and untold sheets of crocus cloth to get it this far..

:lol:

Internally, I added new Wolff springs, filled up her guts with softened rubbing compound and dropped hammer on some Snap-caps about a thousand times. Cleaned her out thoroughly, and the trigger pull and overall smoothness was much improved.

I'm still not happy with the finish though, and might beadblast her very softly some time in the future. I would like to try it on a polished piece of stainless as a test before going near my gun with an abrasive nozzle.

If I do it and it works for me, I'll be doing the same treatment to my Para-Ord P14.45 Limited...

BTW, thank you for the compliments.

-urban
3%

Viper shtf

Post by Viper shtf » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:35 pm

You're very welcome. There's a speed six, modified kinda like your sp, on armslist that I wish I could afford. Of course, then I would have to drive to Austin. :clownshoes:
PistolPete wrote:Seriously, fashion is dumb. But my wife likes the way they make my ass look or the way you can follow the veins on my balls through the denim or something. Whatever. I can dress up once in a while.

goblin
Favorite Zombie Movies: The original day of the dead!

Post by goblin » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:55 am

I bought a used Ruger Security Six at a gunshow from a private seller for only $350. 21/2 inch barrel stainless. Would make a great trail carry. I use it as a bedsider.
"Just kickin' a can down the road to Hell."
"Real zombies CAN"T run!!"

Visit http://www.urbansurvivalstrategies.forumsland.com/

Barbossa

Post by Barbossa » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:55 pm

Smith and Wesson all the way. The Rugers will be fishing sinkers while the Smith will still be blasting away.

Just kidding. In my opinion the 686, 4" barrel is sufficient, thats what I have as a ranch pistola. However, Ruger makes a fine .357.
Last edited by Barbossa on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Primary weapons for the Zombie Apocolapyse
1. AK 47 and baseball bat (at all times)
2. Remington 870
3. Remington 700 in .308
4. Glock 17
5. Smith and Wesson 686

Secondary... All the AR 15's laying in the streets.

bennyG19

Post by bennyG19 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:20 pm

I have a 4" S&W 681 I picked up a few months ago for $500. It's a great gun. Basically a fixed sight 686. I love it. Points perfect for me and soaks up recoil.

Return to “Handguns”