Help me pick a 9mm

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Help me pick a 9mm

Post by Halfapint » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:27 am

Let me start off by saying the reason I want a 9mm is that I have lots of 9mm ammo. I currently have a Jennings 9mm laugh all you want. It was cheap and taught me how to shoot. I'm looking for the most "bang for my buck". By that I mean in this climate should I just wait a few months and hope prices go down? Or pull the trigger and just drop $3-400 and just deal with it and have a reliable pistol. I don't really know places to look for guns. There's a place not to far but it's in the city as even before the stupid they were expensive.

So I'm trying to think of makes and models that are 9mm and a decent price. So if I could get some help here I would be very grateful! Thanks guys.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Grey Mann

Re: Help me pick a 9mm

Post by Grey Mann » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:48 am

Open or concealed carry gun? Range toy? Centerpiece on your mantle? Knowing the purpose of your weapon will go a long way in making good suggestions.

For now, the standard answer is...you can't go wrong with a Glock 19.
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject.
Do not go gentle.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:36 am

I'm taking bets on how many times a G19 is suggested.

Get a G19!

(That's 2)
WWSD?

Andy in NH

Post by Andy in NH » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:03 am

Glock 19!

(Hat trick!)

However, since you already have a 9mm pistol, I would suggest waiting until prices settle down.
Any fool can be uncomfortable in the field.

I live vicariously through my own memories.

Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

greglambert
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead

Post by greglambert » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:10 am

I agree with the G19 suggestion if you can afford it, if you can't look for a hi-power copy. Be sure its an exact copy therr are a lot of close but no cigar BHP's out there.

A few months ago I picked and early FEG (exact BHP copy) for $200. Mags are cheap and most BHP variants are good guns. People think nothing of buying non Colt 1911s why not the BHP. Another advantage of hipowers is that they fit in 1911 holsters.
Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Zxc

Post by Zxc » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:32 am

I have also been looking for a 9mm handgun recently.

I decided on a glock 19 gen 4.

Have you thought about going to the range and renting?

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:13 am

Hahaha I have nothing against Glocks but I was actually looking to avoid a G19. I do have a 9mm now it's mostly just a range toy but I do live in an open carry state and could get a CWP at some point in the near future. As I stated above price range is $300-400 Just looking at options at this point, and places to buy. That's my biggest problem right now I don't know about local gun stores or online shops that I can buy one at. Any ideas? any other suggestions besides a Glock?

To those that have responded thanks!
Have you thought about going to the range and renting?
I have but where I live and the hours I work I'd be stuck in traffic until about an hour before the local gun store closes. Not a lot of time to look around and shoot. If I can get over there at a decent hour though, I'd love to get some time in with a few different guns.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:47 am

IceMyst wrote:any other suggestions besides a Glock?
See that Glock? My suggestion is beside a Glock. :mrgreen:

Sorry. It's a good balance between shootability and CWP-ability. I know it's not the answer you were looking for. I'd say I've heard good things about the M&P, but I've been looking for magazines for it recently... :gonk:

I'm just not sure what else to recommend.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:28 am

I'm gonna be the guy that suggests something odd, I guess: G22/23/27/35 in .40, with a 9mm replacement barrel and mags.

You mentioned you don't want a Glock. I suggest you buy one and train with it a while before you write them off.

I hated Glocks for a long time, too. Then I listened to the guys who know shit, drank the cool-aide, and after further review, I no longer trust lesser guns. Is there some reason you don't like Glocks? I dare you to try to find a valid reason that will hold water.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

greglambert
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by greglambert » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:44 am

Guy's I don't want to start a wizzing contest or anything but a glock clearly is not in tbis guys budget. I love my glock and love my 1911 but they aren't the only guns out there, I believe if we think hard we can help this guy find something better than what he has within his budget. A glock 19 is clearly over his budget (unless he gets the LEO discount).

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:51 am

greglambert wrote:Guy's I don't want to start a wizzing contest or anything but a glock clearly is not in tbis guys budget.
He said $400, didn't he? I know used Glocks are often found in this price range. New Glocks run $500-$600. Save your pennies.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Gothboy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the zombie movies EVER.

Post by Gothboy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:59 am

To answer the budget question there are many close but none quite hit the spot. You've got the flicks which in CA are $600 new. Then you have Springfield Xd which can be had for 5-550 new, then you have things like an older sigma or a Ruger lc9 can be had for 4-500 new. Next up is not looking good at hi-point and possibly don't star firearms at 3-450 new. Remember with guns you get what you pay for. If you want mid price decent quality find a used XD9. They come in various sizes and are reliable as hell. If you want top notch save up a little bit more and get a g17-g19-g26. Those are the glock full size, compact, and subcompact. The XD has those sizes available aswell, and the Ruger lc9 is already subcompact. All very good guns with different purposes. The hi-points are low budget and low reliability. I forgot to mention smith M&P guns. They are same prices and sizes as Springfield XD's. good guns also.

Some shops also let you do a deposit on a new gun and you have x time to pay it off, usually 60 days. That might help if you really want a new glock, Xd, or MP. :)

Happy shooting!
Braxton wrote: This guy seems to be able to get it done with much less than three inches.

Mall Ninja

Post by Mall Ninja » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:09 pm

Sig has the SP2022 which can be found online for a little over $400 (PSA currently has them for $420, by the time you finish with the FFL transfer and taxes you're probably pushing $500).

If you dont know what you want, then it still seems like getting hands on with a few different ones is still the best idea; most indoor ranges seem to have rentals, and most of the ones in the Seattle area are open on the weekends and late on weekdays and just because you try the gun there doesnt mean you have to buy it from them.
Maxim 24: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:10 pm

I really have nothing against Glock I've fired them I like them but I dunno just had an aversion to them. Since it seems to be the consensus of Glock...... Why does everyone like them (I do not get a LEO discount though I do have LOTS of leo friends though work). Money isn't really an issue if it costs a couple hundred more I'll just wait a couple extra weeks and get one the following pay check.

I guess I should have added this to the original post.

I want something that's good for beginners I can shoot well (no pro by ANY stretch) but my gf has shot maybe 10-20 rounds her entire life. Something that can be taken apart and perhaps modded down the road. Finally something reliable, I don't want to have to fuss with it (other then cleaning) for quite some time.

Thanks again to everyone that's responded!

Gothboy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the zombie movies EVER.

Post by Gothboy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:33 pm

Listen to mall ninja! He gave you my standard advice that I was too stupid to remember this time. :P Go to your local range, and try out a bunch. See what you like and research further from there. :)
Braxton wrote: This guy seems to be able to get it done with much less than three inches.

greglambert
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by greglambert » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:33 pm

if money really is no object you really need to reconsider the Glock 19 there's a reason why it is the most popular handgun in the world right now. clocks are good value easy to shoot and accessories like host urs and magazines are plentiful.

in your original price range of 3 to 400 dollars there are plenty of affordable options. walther P1s are running between 250 and 300. even a Makarov would be better than the gun you have.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:50 pm

A sharp stick is questionably better then what I have now...... Haha I didn't WANT to spend more then 400, was just asking the good folks here that know a hell of a lot more then I do if there were some good options in the 3-400$ range but if Glocks really are that great I might as well save a little longer and get something that is a superior product and hey I guess in a SHTF situation having one of the most popular products could come in handy.

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:54 pm

The reason you're going to get "Glock 19" suggested a lot, is that they work, very well, it's a good compromise of size, weight, and capacity, and they're ubiquitous.

With any "suggest a gun thread", you're likely going to get suggestions for guns that individual random folks own and "have put _______ thousand rounds through" with "zero malfunctions" The Glock is a proven performer with many known organizations, countries, trainers, etc. successfully using them. It's clearly the most common defense handgun system in use today. That means easier access to parts, service, (everybody and his sister is a Glock "Armorer"), and accessories. If something is made for a handgun, it's almost assuredly made for the Glock, sometimes only for the Glock.

There are obviously other quality guns made. Myself, the Glock's never really been my favorite, although I own many different examples. But while I may more often shoot, teach, and carry other guns, if I could only own one, or only take one, it would be a Glock 19, for the reasons above.

I would add that I'd still suggest a Gen 3 gun. While many seem to have Gen 4 guns that are working fine, I have one that had issues, and I still see problematic guns on the range. YMMV.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:58 pm

Recently took two new shooters out. They loved the Sig 2022. Didn't like the walther 99 they bought. They also had a glock 19 that they shot well.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:01 pm

I'm seeing Ruger LC9s for $400 or less, the old warhorse Bersas are ever present in the $250-$300 range, and the 2022 in the $400+ range. I have not seen a Glosk for less then $500 since Christmas. M&P shields are sometimes around for $400.

If you can find a Glock and like it, go for it. I cannot find the right way to hold a G19 of any generation. Gen 4 G26 and G17 are fine, but Gen3 is a no-Go. The Shield feels great and will be replacing my P64 pretty soon. Glocks had a great track record (I'm looking at your, Gen 4 guide rod issues) but they've even made that well by replacing the guide rods. The controls are hard to fuck up (just don't try to "thumbs high" like a 1911) so it's a good baseline for a shooter to figure out what works for said shooter.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:08 pm

Springfield XD would be an option to consider. I had one of those (XD 4"), but I ended up trading it in for the same reason that I don't like Glocks--it just doesn't feel right or fit right in my hand. I have sorta small hands for a guy who is 6'2". The S&W M&P 9c is the PERFECT 9mm for me. Just something to consider, especially if you're willing to wait for the next paycheck. You can find the compact M&P models for $500-600 used/new on gunbroker.com.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

cricketdave
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by cricketdave » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:09 pm

How about a cz75 or clone the eaa guns are pretty good.
ZS#4545

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:14 pm

cricketdave wrote:How about a cz75 or clone the eaa guns are pretty good.

How about the compact EAA SAR B6PC in 9mm? It's on sale for $329 at the moment, a rarity in today's market.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/88391

Or the full size variant at the same price?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/88390

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:33 pm

Going over to my uncles after work gave him a call to see what he's got and if I could hold some to we how they feel. Luckily he's one that rather enjoys buying guns. He's got all the Springfield XD as well as the tactical in 9mm and .45, sigs, Luger, Glock, and a few others. My hands are odd shaped so it'll be nice to get some hands on even if I can't send any down range this moment. Any other suggestions?

Return to “Handguns”