What was your first Handgun?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Re: What was your first Handgun?

Post by Browning 35 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:32 pm

Last edited by Browning 35 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:27 pm

Siggy01 wrote:Just wanted to asked fellow ZS members what their first handgun was and what kind of experiences you had and learned from it.

My first handgun was this lovely Kel-Tec P11. I got it used from a LGS for $170. It was in great shape, didn't appear to have been fired much, if any. It had the box, lock, and papers. I did a lot of research at the Kel-Tec owners website, http://www.thektog.org/. I gave it the recommended fluff and buff. As long as I use the original 10 round mag it likes Fiocchi 147g Gold Dot hollowpoints.

It was great for cc, being so small and light. I have never found anything that carries quite so well. And after the first 200 rounds or so it doesn't fail to feed, fire or eject (unless it isn't cleaned after each range trip). It is much more enjoyable to shoot with the Hogue Jr. grip on it. Even with a good grip and lots of practice, It is hard to keep it on target anywhere past 7 yards though, so it did not remain my concealed carry gun.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:40 pm

9mm P89 that looked like this

Was talked out of a glock in, must have been '98 or so, by the guy at the counter. I'm still pissed about that and not knowing any better myself.

Anyway, I shot the crap out of it and really had no clue about handguns in general. I do not recall any malfs, but it was a brick. Wish I still had it, just because. It was soon replaced by a glock 36 (that should have been a 30 :roll: ). Anywho, I'm glad the internet came along so I could learn about shit before I buy it.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:42 pm

A Colt Huntsman in 1972 for $125 plus $8.75 tax was the first one I bought.

RustyG
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by RustyG » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:51 pm

Walam, a Hungarian copy of a Walther PP in .380 Great little pistol, just watch out for slide bite.
It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.
Hunter S. Thompson
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.
Mike Tyson

lowjohn19

Post by lowjohn19 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:55 pm

Good ole G19. Not really glamorous, but I love it.

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by roOism » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:28 pm

Walter PK380, hated it after a few months. Felt cheap and requiring a specialized key for field stripping was retarded. Traded it in for a Glock a few months later and couldn't be happier.
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:18 am

S&W K-frame 64-3 3"...on my hip as I'm typing this. :awesome:

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:02 am

S&W Sigma 9. This was in like '06 I think. It was given to me. Didn't know shit about handguns at the time. Dude at the gunstore I traded it in at had never seen one. This was way prior to any Mighty & Powerful pistols and he said it looks like S&W made a Glock lol.

I've got a picture somewhere.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:49 pm

My first pistol was a Nagant revolver.

It was ugly, older than me by about 70 years, had a trigger pull of monumental proportions, but it was built like a tank and functioned just as well as the day it left the factory somewhere in Russia.

Aside from the crap trigger pull, the ammo was more expensive than I was willing or able to pay for at the time and surplus ammo wasn't available like it is now. So, I sold it to a friend for 50 bucks less than I paid for it and I now kind of regret selling it since it was my first handgun.

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:06 pm

a Raven .25, and if that's not shameful enough I traded a 10/22 for it
-skelco
ZSC:015 Officer of Indeterminate Duty

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:08 pm

Sig P250 Compact, .40 S&W. Sold it and got a Glock 17.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:43 pm

Mine was a Colt M1991. It was OK. Sold it to my dad years ago when he asked about getting a pistol for home protection.

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:36 pm

Bulgarian Makarov for $139 or $149, perfect condition.

Ammo wasn't easy to find when I bought it, but there was plenty of it online. It came with 4 mags and I've never needed more than that for it. It's never had any issues. Still love that gun to this day, and it's my bedside gun right now while I'm between hicap pistols. I know it'll go bang every time I pull the trigger and they make PDX1 for it now too, so it's got modern SD ammo. The only downside is it's weight, but compared to the upside of it being as reliable as any modern pistol, I'll take it.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

charlie fox

Post by charlie fox » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:23 pm

My first handgun was a S&W 39-2; 8 rounds of 9mm seemed pretty good at the time (1982). Next to the Browning Hi Power, that gun was probably the best feeling gun I've ever held. Wish I still had it :(
"Lawyers, Guns and Money"

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Belair56

Post by Belair56 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:14 pm

A Colt Official Police .22 6inch barrel 4digit serial owned it since 1979, Havent shot it since 1985.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:15 pm

My first and only handgun (I was late into the handgun game, I shoot mostly rifles), was an XDM45. If I had to go back and change anything, it would be to get it in 9mm, since .45 ammo is kind of kicking my ass.

My next handgun is a ruger 22/45, followed by a glock 19.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

jeremy1391
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead
dawn of the dead (old and new)
day of the dead (original)
28 weeks later
land of the dead
diary of the dead (very well done)

Post by jeremy1391 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:12 pm

Xd45 service model, still have it and will likely keep it forever. Daily carry gun that I'm the most proficient with.
the_klenzer wrote:
And finally.... if you are drunk enough, and your buddy dares you...
just tell yourself "if it's good enough for Les Stroud..."

lel40k3

Post by lel40k3 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:17 pm

tokarev tt-33 cheap and cheap to shoot traded it for a m1 carbine sold that. I'm shooting a security six, s&w 29 and a sig 2022 now.
Kinda miss the tokarev now I think i paid like 100ish for a sealed tin of ammo.

doc savage
Favorite Zombie Movies: no favorite yet.
does resident evil count? :)

Post by doc savage » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:28 pm

mine was a Tok, too. Chicom m-213 tokarev in 9mm. Thay pistol got me through some of the hardest points in my life. What did I learn?

never fire all of your ammunition off at the range...save a mags worth for the ride home.

never use ammo you have not fired at the range for self defense...even if it's all you have ( cause you were dumb and fired all the good stuff off at the range, and loaded up with a leftover box of pops hollowpoints, which kept your slide from closing all of the way in a middle of the night banging on the door panic situation...and probably saved that three time convicted stabby bastard from splodey-face)...

always have a back-up gun handy for te above situation.

maine1
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, land of the dead, 28 days later, 28 weeks later. Original Dawn of the dead...any zombie movie is ok, some are better than others.

Post by maine1 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:48 am

while not MINE per se, it was my fathers Hy Hunter 22lr western six shooter model. i shot it, carried it, and learned to use a pistol with it in my early teens. Recently, i began to restore it for shooting.

when i turned 18 or so, i upgraded to a Ruger blachhawwk in 44 mag. dragged that thing around while on leave for years. SWEET gun, though heavy for EDC. Did it anyway. My father had to buy it for me, though i was still in the Corps at the time, i was not 21.

Then i got a Browning buckmark while in CA, followed by a Sig 229, a NAA 22 mag.

..and about a dozen others since...

Viper shtf

Post by Viper shtf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:14 am

My first centerfire handgun was my Ruger Security Six... 4 inch barrel, stainless steel. It still lives in my nightstand today, waiting to put a hurting on anyone who breaks in.
PistolPete wrote:Seriously, fashion is dumb. But my wife likes the way they make my ass look or the way you can follow the veins on my balls through the denim or something. Whatever. I can dress up once in a while.

my pies are piff
Favorite Zombie Movies: Left 4 Head

Post by my pies are piff » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:20 am

I think my first handgun was a Ruger P345.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:06 am

Viper shtf wrote:My first centerfire handgun was my Ruger Security Six... 4 inch barrel, stainless steel. It still lives in my nightstand today, waiting to put a hurting on anyone who breaks in.

I love that about revolvers...just patiently waiting to be called upon.

Obviously a semi would serve you similarly but there's just something about them wheelguns. I hope when I'm 80 I still have my K-frame sitting on my night stand.

Return to “Handguns”