I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
Captain Hero
* *
Posts: 187
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:11 pm

Re: I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Post by Captain Hero » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:08 am

Dogan wrote:
Captain Hero wrote:For those of you who have not seen what a Glock is capable of, this thread gives a good idea of what kind of torture it can be put through. I wouldnt suggest doing the same thing unless you really want to.

Very interesting none the less.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462537" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I had forgotten that. When I saw it last the sock and plane hadn't been done.
Yeah me too. I think its a pretty cool thread. I wouldnt do it to one of mine, but pretty cool either way. Im suprised that thing is still kicking after the shit its been through.
If you live nothing, you are nothing

cemoulton
* *
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:57 am

Re: I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Post by cemoulton » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:08 am

I believe glocks are excellent firearms. But if I'm going to carry tactical tupperware then I prefer the sp2009, 2340, 2022. And believe they are just as durable and reliable. Nothing against glocks but there are other options.

I offer this evidence.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri ... ature=plpp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri ... ature=plpp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri ... ature=plpp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri ... ature=plpp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri ... 39Kui0FKQc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri ... 842Fm87jQ0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"JamesCannon wrote: I don't think any victim has ever cried out "If only someone was there to sit idly by and watch..."

"phil_in_cs wrote: People with lots of guns and ammo, but no food, are preparing to be looters and raiders, whether they admit to that or not."

User avatar
Spd164
* * *
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:01 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Post by Spd164 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:28 am

azrael99 wrote: -a glock ain't a piece of art,
-you will NEVER say "look at my glock it so pretty"
Look at my Glock its so pretty!
Image
Image
Image

:)
Image

User avatar
Spd164
* * *
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:01 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Post by Spd164 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:37 am

As an aside, I have railed against the criteria of "it feels good in my hand" for years. I hate that people assign so much importance to the way a gun "feels".

Aside from actual physical limitations, the human mind can be trained through repetition to become used to using a tool. When I first joined the Marines, the M-16 felt very awkward to me because I'd been raised on deer rifles. Through use and practice, the familiarity for the weapons system was bred.

Tactically speaking, the "feel" of a handgun should be far down on the list of priorities that combine for a person to choose one.
Image

User avatar
Sins
* * *
Posts: 572
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:58 pm

Re: I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Post by Sins » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:04 pm

Spd164 wrote:As an aside, I have railed against the criteria of "it feels good in my hand" for years. I hate that people assign so much importance to the way a gun "feels".

Aside from actual physical limitations, the human mind can be trained through repetition to become used to using a tool. When I first joined the Marines, the M-16 felt very awkward to me because I'd been raised on deer rifles. Through use and practice, the familiarity for the weapons system was bred.

Tactically speaking, the "feel" of a handgun should be far down on the list of priorities that combine for a person to choose one.
If given the choice to shoot a deer rifle that preformed like an M-16 would you have chosen that? Obviously that would be impossible, but imagining it was, would you?
Don't get me wrong, you are correct that "feel" should be bottom of the list, however this whole thread is beginning to sound like some high school debate on which is cooler spam or Adidas. Who really gives a shit. All things equal, pick the one more comfortable.

User avatar
TDW586
* * * * *
Posts: 8844
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:03 pm
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Re: I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Post by TDW586 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:07 pm

People confuse "feel" with ergonomics. Ergonomics matter, feel does not. For example, on the M9, I am physically incapable of deactivating the safety without shifting my firing hand significantly. My thumbs are too short and the safety too high. That is an ergonomics issue (for me), as the controls are placed in a position I cannot reach. No amount of training can eliminate that, only work around it.

A Glock has an odd grip angle compared to some other pistols. This causes some who are accustomed to other pistols to point low. Training will correct this, not just work around it. That is not an ergonomic issue. Glocks also feel plasticy and unpleasant compared to many metal pistols. This is absolutely meaningless functionally and in any case, stops being an issue once you become accustomed to it.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
Image

JohnE
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Post by JohnE » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:19 pm

Bahamut wrote:
azrael99 wrote:
but seriously the glock is the MOST reliable handgun ever, it a fact.
First let me say I agree that glocks are a reliable and accurate brand of firearm. I have shot them and can't complain.

However, this statement is incorrect. The winner of most reliable and durable handguns go to the hi-point pistols. I know they look ugly and only cost $100, but these have been proven to beat glock in the durability department and can match the accuracy test. Unfortunately, single stack magazine. This is my opinion from shooting and testing both brands and verify my findings from others on the youtube and firearms forums.

But in regards to glock and not a glock vs whoever, they are fine guns and I would recommend them to anyone. Glad to hear that only a sight broke on the OP's story.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Complete, utter, and total bullshit...thanks for the laugh.
John E
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life:The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

User avatar
Spd164
* * *
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:01 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Post by Spd164 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:52 pm

TDW586 wrote:People confuse "feel" with ergonomics. Ergonomics matter, feel does not. For example, on the M9, I am physically incapable of deactivating the safety without shifting my firing hand significantly. My thumbs are too short and the safety too high. That is an ergonomics issue (for me), as the controls are placed in a position I cannot reach. No amount of training can eliminate that, only work around it.

A Glock has an odd grip angle compared to some other pistols. This causes some who are accustomed to other pistols to point low. Training will correct this, not just work around it. That is not an ergonomic issue. Glocks also feel plasticy and unpleasant compared to many metal pistols. This is absolutely meaningless functionally and in any case, stops being an issue once you become accustomed to it.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
That's the point I was driving at when I said "aside from physical limitations". Thanks for explaining it further, brochacho 8-) .
Image

User avatar
TDW586
* * * * *
Posts: 8844
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:03 pm
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Re: I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Post by TDW586 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:13 pm

Always happy to brilliantly expand on your musings, don't mention it. ;-)

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
Image

fidalgoman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:16 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original "night of the living dead"
Location: Kalispell, Montana

Re: I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Post by fidalgoman » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:04 pm

I own a few. I think they are excellent combat weapons. No more ugly than a four wheel drive pickup truck and just as effective.

User avatar
Spd164
* * *
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:01 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Post by Spd164 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:45 pm

TDW586 wrote:Always happy to brilliantly expand on your musings, don't mention it. ;-)

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
And ever so humble as well... You'll make someone a hell of a wife someday! :clap:
Image

Matt E.
* * * * *
Posts: 1555
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:29 pm

Re: I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Post by Matt E. » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Sins wrote:
Matt E. wrote:The whole "I don't like how it feels" thing is what started the argument where a gunfighter, and forum member, made the quote that I stole as my sig line. "Feel" has next to nothing to do with how the gun performs or how it will perform in your hands.
I disagree and so do countless studies

http://m.erg.sagepub.com/content/8/4/29.extract" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The ergonomics of a pistol is VERY important
Please re-read my post. I made NO mention of ergonomics.
"...And you would probably wind up with one of those souvenir miniature bats, because that is the kind of thing that happens when untrained people pick out unfamiliar equipment based on what "feels" right."

User avatar
AKFTW
* * * * *
Posts: 4176
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:49 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!
Location: VT
Contact:

Re: I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Post by AKFTW » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:59 pm

Bahamut wrote:
azrael99 wrote:
but seriously the glock is the MOST reliable handgun ever, it a fact.
First let me say I agree that glocks are a reliable and accurate brand of firearm. I have shot them and can't complain.

However, this statement is incorrect. The winner of most reliable and durable handguns go to the hi-point pistols. I know they look ugly and only cost $100, but these have been proven to beat glock in the durability department and can match the accuracy test.
Image

Do tell.
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up
Image

Image

50calray
* *
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:33 am
Location: No where

Re: I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Post by 50calray » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:16 pm

Glocks aren't for everyone but we as gun enthusiast should respect ones personal choice in firearms.

User avatar
Bahamut
* *
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:59 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series
Location: Florida

Re: I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Post by Bahamut » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:21 pm

50calray wrote:Glocks aren't for everyone but we as gun enthusiast should respect ones personal choice in firearms.
Thank you.
Beware the roving zombie honeybadgers mercenary gangs that have an affinity for switchblades!

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:22 pm

50calray wrote:Glocks aren't for everyone but we as gun enthusiast should respect ones personal choice in firearms.
I agree.

As soon as the Mosinites and 1911ians admit their folly, we can move forward.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
Bahamut
* *
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:59 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series
Location: Florida

Re: I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Post by Bahamut » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:29 pm

AKFTW wrote:
Bahamut wrote:
azrael99 wrote:
but seriously the glock is the MOST reliable handgun ever, it a fact.
First let me say I agree that glocks are a reliable and accurate brand of firearm. I have shot them and can't complain.

However, this statement is incorrect. The winner of most reliable and durable handguns go to the hi-point pistols. I know they look ugly and only cost $100, but these have been proven to beat glock in the durability department and can match the accuracy test.
Image

Do tell.
While I would love to go on with the glock vs Hi-point argument, I will not. For one it is going off topic and the original Poster may not appreciate it. Unfortunately, I should have said nothing, but when I see and hear such statements I can't but help to think of people who call glock god guns, which is unfair for those on here and glock fans. As I have stated, I am a glock fan. Love the guns, first one I shot was a rental and even though I could feel the lack of care in that gun (happens to a lot of rentals), it still shot beautifully.
Beware the roving zombie honeybadgers mercenary gangs that have an affinity for switchblades!

User avatar
Sins
* * *
Posts: 572
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:58 pm

Re: I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Post by Sins » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:36 pm

Matt E. wrote:
Sins wrote:
Matt E. wrote:The whole "I don't like how it feels" thing is what started the argument where a gunfighter, and forum member, made the quote that I stole as my sig line. "Feel" has next to nothing to do with how the gun performs or how it will perform in your hands.
I disagree and so do countless studies

http://m.erg.sagepub.com/content/8/4/29.extract" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The ergonomics of a pistol is VERY important
Please re-read my post. I made NO mention of ergonomics.
You talked about "feel".. In my opinion Glock owners seperating feel from ergonomics is an excuse to justify a pistol grip that they have to get used to.
Lets make one thing clear.
Ergonomics has a lot to do with feel as well as function. You don't buy an ergonomic chair because a regular chair won't fumction. You can sit in a regular chair just as easy and your body will "adjust" to it. You buy an ergonomic chair for comfort, "feel", and function.
I am not hating on Glocks. I already said they are fine weapons. I am simply saying given the multitude of fine gun manufactures, if a gun doesnt feel good, maybe instead of spending a few hundred dollars in ammo (if not more) developing the muscle memory to shoot it properly because you have to "adjust" ... Maybe you should check out other pistols with the same standards of quality that require less adjusting.

User avatar
Spd164
* * *
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:01 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Post by Spd164 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:06 pm

Sins wrote:
Matt E. wrote:
Sins wrote:
Matt E. wrote:The whole "I don't like how it feels" thing is what started the argument where a gunfighter, and forum member, made the quote that I stole as my sig line. "Feel" has next to nothing to do with how the gun performs or how it will perform in your hands.
I disagree and so do countless studies

http://m.erg.sagepub.com/content/8/4/29.extract" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The ergonomics of a pistol is VERY important
Please re-read my post. I made NO mention of ergonomics.
You talked about "feel".. In my opinion Glock owners seperating feel from ergonomics is an excuse to justify a pistol grip that they have to get used to.
Lets make one thing clear.
Ergonomics has a lot to do with feel as well as function. You don't buy an ergonomic chair because a regular chair won't fumction. You can sit in a regular chair just as easy and your body will "adjust" to it. You buy an ergonomic chair for comfort, "feel", and function.
I am not hating on Glocks. I already said they are fine weapons. I am simply saying given the multitude of fine gun manufactures, if a gun doesnt feel good, maybe instead of spending a few hundred dollars in ammo (if not more) developing the muscle memory to shoot it properly because you have to "adjust" ... Maybe you should check out other pistols with the same standards of quality that require less adjusting.
The point is that certain functions of ergonomics serve to improve the function of a weapon, (or even a chair for that matter) and simply discarding a better tool (or chair) just because it doesn't initially "feel" right in the had (or on the butt) is foolhardy.

Find me another pistol with a bore axis as low as a Glock that is proven as reliable and stood the test of time. Sorry, that sounded flip and was not intended to. I'd really like to know if other such pistols exist, because I quit looking when I started training with Glocks. Low bore axis=less muzzle flip=faster follow up shots and increased control during rapid fire. Increased control during rapid fire means greater shooter confidence and a higher percentage of hits on target in less time. Same reason I wouldn't choose a deer rifle that functioned like an M-16, because the very shape of an M-16 helps to make it so effective.
Image

User avatar
TDW586
* * * * *
Posts: 8844
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:03 pm
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Re: I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Post by TDW586 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:17 pm

Sins, your argument is basically that if, after years of sitting in a standard desk chair you try out a different, highly ergonomic chair that aligns your spine and decreases pressure on your joints or whatever else chairs do and it feels "weird" or takes some getting used to, you should stick with "standard" chairs. Because they "feel right".

Do whatever you want, bro. Just don't expect others to abstain from telling you it's silly.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
Image

User avatar
Spd164
* * *
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:01 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Post by Spd164 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:41 pm

TDW586 wrote:Sins, your argument is basically that if, after years of sitting in a standard desk chair you try out a different, highly ergonomic chair that aligns your spine and decreases pressure on your joints or whatever else chairs do and it feels "weird" or takes some getting used to, you should stick with "standard" chairs. Because they "feel right".

Do whatever you want, bro. Just don't expect others to abstain from telling you it's silly.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
That's twice in one thread, and on the same page no less. Knock it off duder you're starting to creep me the fuck out. :crazy:
Image

User avatar
TDW586
* * * * *
Posts: 8844
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:03 pm
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Re: I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Post by TDW586 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:49 pm

I'm stalking you. What's my endgame, what am I planning? Maybe nothing. Maybe everything.

From the producers of Scream and Debbie Does Dallas.

THAT GUY ON THE INTERWEBZ

Coming soon to a theater near you.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
Image

User avatar
Sins
* * *
Posts: 572
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:58 pm

Re: I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Post by Sins » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:06 pm

My arguement is this. .

My buddy has a Glock.

It's a great gun and he can hit a nickel from 50ft away with it.

Before I bought a gun I asked to use his. It didn't "feel" right, but I tried anyway. After several weekends and much ammo, I got slightly better and I am sure I could improve more. I wasn't completely sold and so I did some research. I found some quality guns that interested me.

I narrowed down my choices to Glock, XD, and a ruger. (Listed in order of preference)

I almost bought the Glock, but something told me to wait a little longer.

I wound up getting the opportunity to shoot an XD by asking around at the local range. From the get-go I shot more accurately and my grouping was tighter than than my experiences with Glock.
Simply put the gun fit me. I was already pleased with the reviews I read. I already enjoyed the "feel" at the gun shop. At this point I was sold.

Now me and my buddy shoot our guns now and then. He can't shoot my XD very well and I don't shoot his glock very well.
Each of us match each other quite well on our own guns.

Never ever ever on this thread have I hated on glocks and several times I complimented them. They just don't suit me

Earlier on this thread someone said they don't prefer glock but respect glock owners choice to carry them (paraphrasing)..

Why is it that glock owners seem to not give the same respect to other's choices?
It's like. . "Cool gun and all but mine is better"

That's the only thing that drives me crazy.

User avatar
Chris@MTCT
* * * * *
Posts: 3847
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:34 pm
Location: Spring,TX

Re: I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Post by Chris@MTCT » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:31 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eoDUqzm8uc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What ever your all wrong.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

Post Reply

Return to “Handguns”