I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Whackpack7

I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Post by Whackpack7 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:24 pm

Soooooo my dad has always been a very firm supporter of the NRA and of the safe ownership of firearms. Since I have been young he has guided me and helped me to grow into a decent shooter and a very big firearm enthusiast. About a year ago he offered to buy me a handgun as a gift for a goal that I had worked towards in my life and so I said sure. I told him that I wanted a Glock 30 (.45 ACP), though neither of us had ever owned a Glock, and I was slightly uneasy about the trigger system. Regardless though, many close friends told me that if you get past the trigger a Glock is a very very durable and reliable gun to own and to carry. So bada bing bada boom I ended up with one. Carried it for a while, shot it, chugged the Glock Kool Aid. And actually it really wasn't bad. I had trouble with the trigger as expected, but once I got past that it was pretty freaking awesome.

Fast-Forward:

Yup that is my Glock. Was doing a bug out exercise with the group, at night, in the snow, temperature right around 20 degrees F. Part of the trek (which was landnav oriented) was to ascend a hill which turned out to be much steeper than anticipated. About 2/3 of the way up, I lost my footing, slipped a little and caught myself; but not before I heard the sound of my Glock tumbling end over end down the rocky hill and then landing with a hard 'thud' in a pile of rocky slip at the bottom. A friend retrieved it, and we completed the exercise. After we returned, I stripped and cleaned my Glock, and as expected, the gun functioned the same as the day I bought it. Much to my surprise though, the only aesthetic damage I could find was that the rear sight was cracked after meeting a rock head on... No problem, I really wanted Trijicon night sights anyway and now I have just the excuse I need :wink: The photo above is of the gun prior to being stripped and cleaned. I figured that the gun would would function fine, but for the only damage to be a cracked sight that after all was plastic...I was pretty impressed...especially since a decent portion of the gun is plastic also. The gun laid in the snow for quite a while before my friend retrieved it too and the water really didn't bother it either.

New modifications lol I will either get a retention leash or just start wearing the thigh holster. Anyone else out there have a cool story about their Glock? I know there are some better ones than mine...

smokestax

Re: I am Now a Glock Believer, Any Others?

Post by smokestax » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:41 am

i dont have any cool Glock stories but i am a fan...ive owned 3, great firearms. i just toss it in the dash and feel confident that it will be ready if needed....which i hope is never...did add the extra bullet filler for the hollow area behind the mag
WWRD...what would Reagan do? http:/southeasternexcursions.webs.com/

Valpo Hawkeye

Post by Valpo Hawkeye » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:37 pm

I'm glad you're pleased with your gun. I'm just curious how a plastic sight is something to be pleased about. IMO, it's not okay for a sight to break when the gun is dropped. Springfield's (and many others) use metal sights if I'm not mistaken... seems like a no-brainer.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:10 pm

Valpo Hawkeye wrote:I'm glad you're pleased with your gun. I'm just curious how a plastic sight is something to be pleased about. IMO, it's not okay for a sight to break when the gun is dropped. Springfield's (and many others) use metal sights if I'm not mistaken... seems like a no-brainer.
Most people want to pick out their own aftermarket sights, so saving the $100-ish that the factory steel night sights cost is a handy option. I run the sights below on my 2 G35's, and I swapped them out before I even had a chance to shoot the pistols.

I also am a Glock convert. I shot a G17 years ago, but didn't like it, as I was shooting 1911's at the time. 2 years ago, I bought my G35's, and gradually got rid of all things 1911. I plan on buying Glocks for my kids when I have funds.

Stock 3-dot vs Warren 2-dot
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

101airborne

Post by 101airborne » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:18 pm

Sorry but Nope.... I don't now and never liked a glock. I hate the way they feel in my hand. It feels like a chunk of plastic, no balance. But that's just me. I like either a kimber or even a taurus. I have a PT 24/7 9mm that I love the feel of. It just seems natural in my hand, and I know several people who hate a taurus. Different strokes for different folks.

Sins

Post by Sins » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:20 pm

I like the flavor of Kool Aid, but I don't drink it too often.

Springfield XD

Tenderfoot
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland; The Walking Dead

Post by Tenderfoot » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:03 pm

Sins wrote:I like the flavor of Kool Aid, but I don't drink it too often.

Springfield XD45
Fixed that for you...
"You never know when something will need to be stabbed after being shot repeatedly..."
Local gunstore clerk talking about bayonets

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:16 am

101airborne wrote:Sorry but Nope.... I don't now and never liked a glock. I hate the way they feel in my hand. It feels like a chunk of plastic, no balance. But that's just me. I like either a kimber or even a taurus. I have a PT 24/7 9mm that I love the feel of. It just seems natural in my hand, and I know several people who hate a taurus. Different strokes for different folks.
24/7s do feel great, and they're great on paper. I just wish they would stand up to the rough use and round counts "duty grade" pistols (Glock, HK, Sig, S&W M&P, etc) will.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:13 am

101airborne wrote:Sorry but Nope.... I don't now and never liked a glock. I hate the way they feel in my hand. It feels like a chunk of plastic, no balance. But that's just me. I like either a kimber or even a taurus. I have a PT 24/7 9mm that I love the feel of. It just seems natural in my hand, and I know several people who hate a taurus. Different strokes for different folks.
I had 2 Kimbers and 2 Tauri, but the 2 Glocks I have now beat the pants off all 4 of them.

Not that I wasn't skeptical and worried, 'cause I was.

Balance is fixed when you load a full mag, too. I'm pretty sure, if you bought a G17 or G34 and ran it hard along side your Kimber and Taurus for a year, you'd be a convert. It's something you just need to do for a while, like when I tried AK's. After a while, you start to see a few things.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

smokestax

Post by smokestax » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:15 am

Valpo Hawkeye wrote:I'm glad you're pleased with your gun. I'm just curious how a plastic sight is something to be pleased about. IMO, it's not okay for a sight to break when the gun is dropped. Springfield's (and many others) use metal sights if I'm not mistaken... seems like a no-brainer.
wackpack wasnt asking to hear from Glock haters, he want to get a take on how well others enjoyed or found positive ways to use their Glocks...if you dont like the pistol then respond to the "i hate glocks page" and by the way...xd"s are cool in their right...mmmm ford, dodge or chevy..mmm

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:25 am

Kutter_0311 wrote:
I had 2 Kimbers and 2 Tauri, but the 2 Glocks I have now beat the pants off all 4 of them.

Not that I wasn't skeptical and worried, 'cause I was.

Balance is fixed when you load a full mag, too. I'm pretty sure, if you bought a G17 or G34 and ran it hard along side your Kimber and Taurus for a year, you'd be a convert. It's something you just need to do for a while, like when I tried AK's. After a while, you start to see a few things.

Yeah Im one of the elitist Kimber converts. After having nothing but trouble out of a Kimber Custom CDP II and it making 2 trips back to the custom shop and one trip to a local smith I gave up on it ever shooting anything except fmj ammo. Dont get me wrong the pistol was beautiful and one of the most accurate handguns I have ever owned but it would not feed or eject reliably no matter what magazines or ammo combinations I tried. So feeling dirty i traded it in on a few guns one of which was a glock 19....... and I have never looked back.
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

Valpo Hawkeye

Post by Valpo Hawkeye » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:06 am

smokestax wrote:
wackpack wasnt asking to hear from Glock haters, he want to get a take on how well others enjoyed or found positive ways to use their Glocks...if you dont like the pistol then respond to the "i hate glocks page" and by the way...xd"s are cool in their right...mmmm ford, dodge or chevy..mmm
First, I'm not a glock hater. I just don't think there's a positive spin for plastic sights. They don't cost $100 from the factory as has been suggested. Second, I was unaware only positive comments were allowed. Sounds like a circle jerk to me. Third, if OP had a problem with what was said, I imagine he could address that himself. I'm not sure why you take the mantle upon yourself.

smokestax

Post by smokestax » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:15 am

Valpo Hawkeye wrote:
smokestax wrote:
First, I'm not a glock hater. I just don't think there's a positive spin for plastic sights. They don't cost $100 from the factory as has been suggested. Second, I was unaware only positive comments were allowed. Sounds like a circle jerk to me. Third, if OP had a problem with what was said, I imagine he could address that himself. I'm not sure why you take the mantle upon yourself.
i understand what your saying, didnt mean to jump on the ole hickory stump, but i wouldnt let a simple sight deter me from a pistol that i felt really strong about...tinkering with your firearms is half the fun...i meant no offense buddy...good shooting.

Valpo Hawkeye

Post by Valpo Hawkeye » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:25 am

Thanks smokestax! I agree tinkering is the fun part. I just think throwing some metal sights on there from the word "go" would make Glock a stronger platform. I would guess that many officers who carry their issued G19's (or G23 or whatever they have been issued) have plastic sights on their sidearms. Probably a minor thing, but something that strikes me nonetheless. Best wishes, sir! :)

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:26 am

i just found the motto of the glock fan

"in Glock we trust" :awesome: :awesome:

but seriously the glock is the MOST reliable handgun ever, it a fact.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

kontraktniki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by kontraktniki » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:32 am

I am definitely a Glock 19 fan, but when it came down to throwing down the dollars for my CCW, I chose the Steyr M9 (not A1).

No way could I dismiss someones decision to go with a Glock as their primary, however, as I was very close to going that route as well.

Matt E.

Post by Matt E. » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:37 am

Sins wrote:I like the flavor of Kool Aid, but I don't drink it too often.

Springfield XD
Obviously, you enjoy a sweet, cold kool aid as much as the next guy, as you chose another insanely popular gun. If Glock owners are kool aid drinkers, you simply like a different flavor.

I dislike Glocks personally, for every reason ever mentioned.

I've been carrying one for over 10 years...
No Kool aid. In the end I'm just a pragmatist.

I tossed my feelings out the window and took the plunge.

Glock was and is the EASY button for me.
"...And you would probably wind up with one of those souvenir miniature bats, because that is the kind of thing that happens when untrained people pick out unfamiliar equipment based on what "feels" right."

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:44 am

Valpo Hawkeye wrote:Thanks smokestax! I agree tinkering is the fun part. I just think throwing some metal sights on there from the word "go" would make Glock a stronger platform. I would guess that many officers who carry their issued G19's (or G23 or whatever they have been issued) have plastic sights on their sidearms. Probably a minor thing, but something that strikes me nonetheless. Best wishes, sir! :)
All the police trade-in Glocks I've ever seen had steel night sights, it's kind of a requirement in that line of work. Most LEO's wouldn't spring for it themselves, but I think it would fall to departmental liability if they weren't there. I agree that replacing the sights should be done right away, but when I was shopping for mine, I didn't like the factory option or the $80-$100 price tag I was seeing. My guess is that the factory night sights are good enough for departmental issue, and that's why they exist at all.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:45 am

101airborne wrote:Sorry but Nope.... I don't now and never liked a glock. I hate the way they feel in my hand. It feels like a chunk of plastic, no balance. But that's just me.
That's what I had always thought I would say. I just didn't even want to go down that road. Then a buddy of mine and I went shooting once, he offered to let me shoot his, and I figured "well, this isn't going to be great, but an opportunity to shoot something? Sure!"

And I was wrong.

I actually liked the damn thing and now I have one of my own. :lol:
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:05 pm

Personally, I find Glocks to be chunky, inelegant, and a downright ugly piece of kit.

I have not been without one since about 1989.

Just picked up a Gen 4 G19 for a carry piece.
WWSD?

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:28 pm

do you know if glock solved the issue about the .45acp models ?

i head they had problem of over pressure , and failure to eject
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

kontraktniki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by kontraktniki » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:28 pm

Paladin1 wrote:Personally, I find Glocks to be chunky, inelegant, and a downright ugly piece of kit.

I see what you did there...

Belair56

Post by Belair56 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:32 pm

Not a Glock fan, but to each there own I like my Rugers.......P95, SR9, Security 6, I did step outside the box and just bought a Beretta PX 4 9mm...............

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:42 pm

Paladin1 wrote:Personally, I find Glocks to be chunky, inelegant, and a downright ugly piece of kit.

-a glock ain't a piece of art,
-you will NEVER say "look at my glock it so pretty"
-yes a glock feel like a brick

but would you trust your life on one ? 90% of people will say yes, even if they don't like them.................why ? they are reliable. a glock is a tool. and it make the job done. i used glock before, and.............MAN they are ugly, but GOSH they works well.

it like the cough syrup i take, it named "Buckley" and their motto is : "it taste awful, and it work"

Return to “Handguns”