Revolver versus Pistol

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Djchina777
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland being first favorite and Dawn of the Dead being my second

Re: Revolver versus Pistol

Post by Djchina777 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:01 pm

Haha it's in the same parallel universe where the company that sells Twinkies can actually financially collapse! and it's probablly why my friend handed it down to me when he bought his shiny new glock 34 forgot to mention that part of the story..

Sins

Post by Sins » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:25 pm

Repair it and sell or trade it then...

Or sell me the broken gun at a cheap price. I will take it off your hands :D

Aceman
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, Shock Waves, Night of the Living Dead (original), and Shawn of the Dead - oh heck - I like them all!

Post by Aceman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:56 pm

Once upon a time (in the old west...) this was maybe an issue. Today, not really.

My HK USP is every bit as reliable as whatever revolver you want to throw its way - perhaps more so!.
A Glock, S&W M&P, or Springfield XD at great price points are all so reliable I wouldn't worry an inch over it.

I agree a revolver has a few advantages. But none that are practically/reasonably sufficient to get ba revolver over a semi.

I'd get the revolver in .357 if only to be able to use .357/39spl ammo if found. And there are advantages to some revolver calibers and barrel lengths for hunting. A 6.5" Taurus tracker with a scope? You can hunt some game with that!

Djchina777
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland being first favorite and Dawn of the Dead being my second

Post by Djchina777 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:28 pm

I've actually been thinking about a springfield XD those things are some fine machines. but as to selling the glock i'd have to think it over and get a price check on how much it'd be to fix (assuming parts are broken and it doesn't just need maintenance) before i make any decisions. sorry man. but i may decide to sell it and i'll message you first if i do and i'll be sure to give you a good price.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:40 pm

For shoot and scoot I'll take a pistol over a revolver.

Home defense is a Saiga 12ga shotgun. I'm a remodeller and I can fix anything my wife blows to bits defending herself except the bad guy(s). I have expressly instructed her not to answer the bump in the night with her S&W model 10 .38 unless the Saiga was emptied already.
Boldly going nowhere

Sins

Re: Re: Revolver versus Pistol

Post by Sins » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:41 pm

Djchina777 wrote:I've actually been thinking about a springfield XD those things are some fine machines. but as to selling the glock i'd have to think it over and get a price check on how much it'd be to fix (assuming parts are broken and it doesn't just need maintenance) before i make any decisions. sorry man. but i may decide to sell it and i'll message you first if i do and i'll be sure to give you a good price.
Now your talking some SERIOUS intelligence. XD is a great gun

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Re: Re: Revolver versus Pistol

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:43 pm

Sins wrote:
Djchina777 wrote:I've actually been thinking about a springfield XD those things are some fine machines. but as to selling the glock i'd have to think it over and get a price check on how much it'd be to fix (assuming parts are broken and it doesn't just need maintenance) before i make any decisions. sorry man. but i may decide to sell it and i'll message you first if i do and i'll be sure to give you a good price.
Now your talking some SERIOUS intelligence. XD is a great gun
It's a Glock with extra parts and a higher bore axis. If he broke a Glock, he'll break an XD.

~sent via spacearmadillogram~
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by velojym » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:48 pm

I love revolvers. I love to shoot them, and they open carry well. I also like their ability to digest a wider variety of ammo, including some specialty ammo that I wouldn't try to feed through a semiauto. I really love the accuracy of my Dan Wesson, my SBH (powah, too!) and my wife's GP100.

That being said, though... my two regular carry pieces are my XD.45 and LC9. They don't have the personality of my revolvers, but they're immensely practical.

I wouldn't laugh at a guy for carrying a wheelgun, though. Different strokes and all. Imagine how dull life would be if all our tastes were the same.

Wow, doc.. you've broken an XD?
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:53 pm

velojym wrote:I love revolvers. I love to shoot them, and they open carry well. I also like their ability to digest a wider variety of ammo, including some specialty ammo that I wouldn't try to feed through a semiauto. I really love the accuracy of my Dan Wesson, my SBH (powah, too!) and my wife's GP100.

That being said, though... my two regular carry pieces are my XD.45 and LC9. They don't have the personality of my revolvers, but they're immensely practical.

I wouldn't laugh at a guy for carrying a wheelgun, though. Different strokes and all. Imagine how dull life would be if all our tastes were the same.

Wow, doc.. you've broken an XD?
Not personally. Haven't broken a Glock either.

Wildeman_13
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Wildeman_13 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:05 pm

The only gotcha I will warn you away from an XD about is having a flimsy grip. If you can't trust yourself to maintain a solid grip on it when shooting, don't get one. The grip safety will cause you trouble and cause slide lock if you loosen your grip while shooting. I'm not talking that you have to death grip it, just that sometimes if your grip isn't solid it will cause the slide to lock back on you if you loosen your grip immediately after pulling the trigger. Again, very easy to avoid and I only did it once before realizing what I was doing. This would hold mostly true for any grip safety pistol. But like Doc Torr and others have said, you can't go wrong with a Glock or an XD. They are stupid simple. Try them both, buy the one that fits your hand better and that you shoot well with.
raptor wrote: Anyone know if there is an asshat gene? If so it must be a dominant gene.
Image Image

Djchina777

Post by Djchina777 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:03 am

Technically Doc it was jamming from when i got it only made it worse so maybe i got the short end of the glock perfection stick but regardless i feel like buying american and i'd rather kill two birds with one stone and get something finer than a glock at the same time. But off topic my dad (also a gun collector since it runs in the family) wants to give me one of the old rifles he has in his gun room for christmas (since he wants more room for recreational guns than his more collectable ones) but he's really unleashing some amazing guns on me so i've narrowed it down to a M1A1 carbine (legitimate gun too i was shocked he'd even offer it), and a Colt frontier revolver (i feel more okay taking this gun than the M1A1 because he has the model 1873 revolver so i wouldn't be taking his best gun) i'm trying to take the Colt but do you guys think i should take the M1 anyways?

Djchina777

Post by Djchina777 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:07 am

Wildeman_13 wrote:The only gotcha I will warn you away from an XD about is having a flimsy grip. If you can't trust yourself to maintain a solid grip on it when shooting, don't get one. The grip safety will cause you trouble and cause slide lock if you loosen your grip while shooting. I'm not talking that you have to death grip it, just that sometimes if your grip isn't solid it will cause the slide to lock back on you if you loosen your grip immediately after pulling the trigger. Again, very easy to avoid and I only did it once before realizing what I was doing. This would hold mostly true for any grip safety pistol. But like Doc Torr and others have said, you can't go wrong with a Glock or an XD. They are stupid simple. Try them both, buy the one that fits your hand better and that you shoot well with.
i don't think it'll be to much of a problem but i'll have to see if any of the gun stores have some in stock so i can get a feel for the the grip but thanks for adding in that factor before i went ahead and bought it

Djchina777

Post by Djchina777 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:10 am

Djchina777 wrote:Technically Doc it was jamming from when i got it only made it worse so maybe i got the short end of the glock perfection stick but regardless i feel like buying american and i'd rather kill two birds with one stone and get something finer than a glock at the same time. But off topic my dad (also a gun collector since it runs in the family) wants to give me one of the old rifles he has in his gun room for christmas (since he wants more room for recreational guns than his more collectable ones) but he's really unleashing some amazing guns on me so i've narrowed it down to a M1A1 carbine (legitimate gun too i was shocked he'd even offer it), and a Colt frontier revolver (i feel more okay taking this gun than the M1A1 because he has the model 1873 revolver so i wouldn't be taking his best gun) i'm trying to take the Colt but do you guys think i should take the M1 anyways?
Both are original pieces down to the last detail

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:14 am

Springfield XD models are made in Croatia.

Djchina777

Post by Djchina777 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:20 am

those bastards... they call themselves the first name in american firearms and don't even make em in america... oh well i can just belt grind the made in Croatia right off and live in ignorance :awesome:

Sins

Post by Sins » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:09 am

Djchina777 wrote:those bastards... they call themselves the first name in american firearms and don't even make em in america... oh well i can just belt grind the made in Croatia right off and live in ignorance :awesome:
Springfield rifles are made in America (I think). The XD is manufactured by HS Produkt in Croatia and bought by Springfield Arms and marketed as the XD (Extreme Duty).
The very same gun in Croatia is called the HS2000 and is used by the Croatian military.

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:06 pm

Djchina777 wrote:those bastards... they call themselves the first name in american firearms and don't even make em in america... oh well i can just belt grind the made in Croatia right off and live in ignorance :awesome:
As far as I know, the Smith & Wesson M&P is made in the USA. It also has ergonomics that don't feel like a robot dick in your hand (Glock).

Sins

Post by Sins » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:51 pm

If it's a absolute must that you buy American try Ruger SR series. They are built like tanks. I still prefer XD though

bamboo spear

Post by bamboo spear » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:56 pm

Either a 5 shot .357 magnum revolver or a 9mm automatic with a billion rounds in it will both kill someone. It's all about shooting the other guy first, and shot placement.

Kelvar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:04 pm

Zimmy wrote:For shoot and scoot I'll take a pistol over a revolver.

Home defense is a Saiga 12ga shotgun. I'm a remodeller and I can fix anything my wife blows to bits defending herself except the bad guy(s). I have expressly instructed her not to answer the bump in the night with her S&W model 10 .38 unless the Saiga was emptied already.
Seriously?
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:09 pm

In general for defensive you a semi-auto is a better choice between the two, based on what everyone else has said. There is one instance where I'd recommend a revolver, and that's to someone who wants a gun but never plans on using it. You know these people, they are going to buy a gun, shoot it once then it goes in the drawer until they move or pass away. For that person a revolver can make sense because anyone can figure out how to use it, even if they are generally unfamiliar with guns.

But for everyone else, semi-auto all the way.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Tommy Tran

Post by Tommy Tran » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:20 pm

bamboo spear wrote:Either a 5 shot .357 magnum revolver or a 9mm automatic with a billion rounds in it will both kill someone. It's all about shooting the other guy first, and shot placement.
Correct... If you can get it done in 5rds... shootouts arent like the movies... I'll stick to my high cap :crazy: I am absolutely proficient but Im no stone cold BAMF, figure I'll need all the help I can get, why handicap yourself when you dont have to.
phil_in_cs wrote:well, I can guarantee you it won't over penetrate. It has to penetrate before it can over penetrate....
gravediggerfour wrote:For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:37 pm

PistolPete wrote:In general for defensive you a semi-auto is a better choice between the two, based on what everyone else has said. There is one instance where I'd recommend a revolver, and that's to someone who wants a gun but never plans on using it. You know these people, they are going to buy a gun, shoot it once then it goes in the drawer until they move or pass away. For that person a revolver can make sense because anyone can figure out how to use it, even if they are generally unfamiliar with guns.

When someone's asking me about a gun, I'm always wary of it turning into this situation, because I get concerned that the next person to pick that revolver up is the 10 year old that tells his friend "My dad doesn't even know I know about it!"

I try to steer clear of those tings. When my grandpa died, I found a .22 revolver loaded with shorts under his mattress. It was rusted so badly it had stained the box spring. How long had it been there? 20 years? 30?
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:40 pm

PistolPete wrote:In general for defensive you a semi-auto is a better choice between the two, based on what everyone else has said. There is one instance where I'd recommend a revolver, and that's to someone who wants a gun but never plans on using it. You know these people, they are going to buy a gun, shoot it once then it goes in the drawer until they move or pass away. For that person a revolver can make sense because anyone can figure out how to use it, even if they are generally unfamiliar with guns.

I recommend a single shot break action for this, as it's cheaper. For thoe who must spend money, I recommend the coolest thing they thin the have to have, so I can get it for a song down the road.

Return to “Handguns”