Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Is it Ok to like Taurus yet?

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:56 pm

ashwednesday wrote:What about the H&K USP in 45 I saw with a cracked slide where the factory installed sights dovetailed in? They chose not to warranty it.
Were the bullets in backwards? HK also has infamously shit CS. I think the running joke is "HK customer service, go fuck yourself the gun is fine."
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:18 am

99 broken Glocks and everybody chalks it up to bad ammo or bad luck. One broken HK and the world collapses. I've never dealt with HK customer service ( I hear it sucks) and I've never dealt with Glock CS. But I have beat the fuck out of two HK's with zero malfunctions so far. If any gun I own that may be used for personal protection so much as has one hiccup I sell it. I've still got my HK's

* I did screw a can on my usp that turned it into a single shot, but that was not the guns fault
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:34 am

I don't think anyone was saying HK doesn't make quality guns, just that they have shitty CS.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:42 am

ashwednesday wrote:What about the H&K USP in 45 I saw with a cracked slide where the factory installed sights dovetailed in? They chose not to warranty it.
Was it this?

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:42 am

TDW586 wrote:I don't think anyone was saying HK doesn't make quality guns, just that they have shitty CS.

This. And half thr broken Glocks I hear about are end user error, the other half are promptly unfucked by Gaston and Co, and in two cases there were issues with CS, mainly resulting from miscommunication and one CS rep who was hopefully reprimanded.

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:49 am

If my post was misunderstood or I misread anything I apologize and chalk it up to being shitcanned drunk. I went to the Iowa/ Nebraska football game today and started early!
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:00 am

Maverick299 wrote:If my post was misunderstood or I misread anything I apologize and chalk it up to being shitcanned drunk. I went to the Iowa/ Nebraska football game today and started early!
No harm no foul. Everyone makes a shit gun now and then. It's more about the ratio of shit to not shit, and the customer service on those shit guns.

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:05 am

Doc Torr wrote:And half thr broken Glocks I hear about are end user error, the other half are promptly unfucked by Gaston and Co, and in two cases there were issues with CS, mainly resulting from miscommunication and one CS rep who was hopefully reprimanded.
Up until the Gen 4 guns, I'd agree with you. Many Gen 4 guns were not "promptly unfucked".

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:42 am

400 Grains wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:And half thr broken Glocks I hear about are end user error, the other half are promptly unfucked by Gaston and Co, and in two cases there were issues with CS, mainly resulting from miscommunication and one CS rep who was hopefully reprimanded.
Up until the Gen 4 guns, I'd agree with you. Many Gen 4 guns were not "promptly unfucked".
Ooh, I keep ignoring Gen 4. I've never actually heard from someone who had a horror of a time with one, just third-hand stuff, but I do accept that the early run had issues, just like the poly framed Sigs.

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:16 pm

Doc Torr -

didnt know that about kimber, but i have read about guys having problems with them out of the box ( im sure not all kimbers come with problems though ). i have also read about guys spending some money to have a new kimber tuned by a gunsmith just to get it to run right, and that SUCKS!

when you spend the money that kimber gets for a pistol you should not have any problems IMO, in fact it should give you a BJ on the ride home from the range for that kind of money.

when i got a bug for a 1911 i went with a RIA. it runs like a top and i have read many times that their customer service is fantastic, though i have not needed it myself. i love my budget 1911!

i have only owned one shit gun which i got rid of a long time ago. :clap:

zombie_kibble
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland, evil dead, well...all of them

Post by zombie_kibble » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:47 am

Maverick299 wrote:If my post was misunderstood or I misread anything I apologize and chalk it up to being shitcanned drunk. I went to the Iowa/ Nebraska football game today and started early!
good place to end up drunk...this season for sure...fucking embarassing
ZSC:035 Financial Officer

M14fan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Walking Dead

Post by M14fan » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:28 am

Of course you can like Taurus! They're very nice cars. :wink:
"It's not always being fast or even accurate that counts. It's being willing.
I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing.
They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger...And I won't." John Wayne in 'The Shootist'

The Commander

Post by The Commander » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:53 pm

:rofl:

I went to a Texans game a few weeks ago and because we are the #1 tailgating team in the NFL, I ran into a few peeps I knew that were still hanging around celebrating. They had hard liquor bottles by the dozen. Since I wasn't driving, I got shit hammered wasted by 4:00 in the afternoon. :oops: :lol:

As for Taurus, they make good stuff that's bang for the buck in my experience. Good to go in my book.

Hammer2213

Post by Hammer2213 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:15 am

I have a taurus tracker .44 mag and love it! Had one issue that had me pissed until I took it completely apart and realized it just needed a serious cleaning.

chevyspd

Post by chevyspd » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:33 pm

I know a lot of people bash Taurus products. I feel like a lot of those folks are like any others out there who have never held or operated one...not saying all of them...but a lot of them nonetheless. I only know of two people that have owned Taurus products...myself being one of them and a close friend of mine being another. My father in law just purchased a Millenium Pro this weekend, so its still too early to tell if that will be a good weapon or not...time will tell. I own a PT101P .40 and my friend owns a 24/7. I can tell you first hand that both of these weapons have been put through the ringer. I cannot claim to have abused mine in any way like most *insert name brand here* owners will tell you, nor have I put mine through any sort of torture test other than not cleaning for the first couple thousand rounds. However my friends 24/7 has had very very many more rounds through it due to the fact that he carried it while working as a correctional officer and they trained 3-4 times a week. As a matter of fact, one of the reasons I purchased mine was because of the reputation of his. By now, my PT101P has had 2500-3000 rounds through it over the course of almost 2 years(purchased in March 2011) and I have had 0 FTE or FTF. Absolutely no issues. I asked my friend to estimate the use of his and he said the number of rounds could quite possibly be upwards of 18-20,000. He mentioned that he thinks he bought it around 2009. He has had 0 failures as of yet. I am not positive about all of the ammo he has used but I have fired everything from target reloads in untumbled brass to Critical Defense through mine. I would assume he has used the same, but we know what assuming does.
The long of the short, I have not had to use their customer service so I can't comment about that, but the 2 weapons that I know of personally have been used very extensively and have given no troubles. Don't buy a weapon solely based on what people on the internet say...get out and shoot some at your local range before you decide. My Taurus works great for me. I would not hesitate to carry it for self defense. You might be surprised at what some call junk could work out great for you too.

mr.trooper

Post by mr.trooper » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:10 am

The problem gun people is that most of us are totally irrational. We like to PRETEND that guns are just tools, any machine can malfunction, and that we are logical... but we are not.

If one little thing goes wrong, a large percentage of us internallize the problem and turn it into an emotional issue (trust ... of an inanimate object...). To make matters worse, we like parrot every little problem we hear from our compatriots, untill one problem looks like 10 - Google Kimber hunting rifles and see how 4 out of 5 reports of their "innacuracy" are the result of one guy (same user name) cross posting his issue on every major forum, making it seem epidemic.

Taurus is not 50/50 on quality control. Even Cobra and Pheonix arent that bad. Exagerated bologna like that is what has tarnished this and other forums in recent years.

Ive personally been burned by Taurus ... YEARS AGO ... on models that i dont even think are made anymore. OP is correct - Taurus has a different feel these days, and has obviously been working hard to improve their line.

I know 3 shooters who have purchased 9mm and 40 cal Taurus 24/7 pistols in the last couple years, and all are completely satisfied. Yup, the triggers are long and spongy ... but that alone doesnt make a pistol junk. I think that is totally acceptable on their price range. In my RECENT experience ,Taurus are reliable, sericable, pistols.
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:07 pm

mr.trooper wrote:The problem gun people is that most of us are totally irrational. We like to PRETEND that guns are just tools, any machine can malfunction, and that we are logical... but we are not.

If one little thing goes wrong, a large percentage of us internallize the problem and turn it into an emotional issue (trust ... of an inanimate object...). To make matters worse, we like parrot every little problem we hear from our compatriots, untill one problem looks like 10 - Google Kimber hunting rifles and see how 4 out of 5 reports of their "innacuracy" are the result of one guy (same user name) cross posting his issue on every major forum, making it seem epidemic.

Taurus is not 50/50 on quality control. Even Cobra and Pheonix arent that bad. Exagerated bologna like that is what has tarnished this and other forums in recent years.

Ive personally been burned by Taurus ... YEARS AGO ... on models that i dont even think are made anymore. OP is correct - Taurus has a different feel these days, and has obviously been working hard to improve their line.

I know 3 shooters who have purchased 9mm and 40 cal Taurus 24/7 pistols in the last couple years, and all are completely satisfied. Yup, the triggers are long and spongy ... but that alone doesnt make a pistol junk. I think that is totally acceptable on their price range. In my RECENT experience ,Taurus are reliable, sericable, pistols.
+1 the Kimber Solo is also a stinker that fanboys refuse to fess up to. The other thing to think about is price point. You mean to tell me that a taurus pistol is worse than the S&W VE-Sigma series or the original SR9 Rugers before the bugs were ironed out. What about the Beretta Nano, that is not reliable with 115g 9mm ammo. Honestly I was a big Kel Tec fan, but their QC has suffered a lot over the last decade. I would trust my life to a 2012-2013 Taurus Slim, before I would trust my life with a 2012-2013 Kel Tec PF9 or a S&W Sigma / VE pistol.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:37 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:
mr.trooper wrote:The problem gun people is that most of us are totally irrational. We like to PRETEND that guns are just tools, any machine can malfunction, and that we are logical... but we are not.

+1 the Kimber Solo is also a stinker that fanboys refuse to fess up to. The other thing to think about is price point. You mean to tell me that a taurus pistol is worse than the S&W VE-Sigma series or the original SR9 Rugers before the bugs were ironed out. What about the Beretta Nano, that is not reliable with 115g 9mm ammo. Honestly I was a big Kel Tec fan, but their QC has suffered a lot over the last decade. I would trust my life to a 2012-2013 Taurus Slim, before I would trust my life with a 2012-2013 Kel Tec PF9 or a S&W Sigma / VE pistol.
Well, most of the alternatives you mentioned aren't really recommended over the Taurus models.

My main hangup with even current-gen Taurus models remains the trigger pull, which appears to start at Taurus HQ in Miami and feels like it ends about a half-inch into the frame. Physically impossible, but it feels that way.

Quiet_C
Favorite Zombie Movies: ZombieLand, 28 Days Later, The Walking Dead (tv show) Dead Island (video game)

Post by Quiet_C » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:11 am

I have a 9mm snub nose and it's worked perfectly. Image

Sāj
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Sāj » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:23 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote: My main hangup with even current-gen Taurus models remains the trigger pull, which appears to start at Taurus HQ in Miami and feels like it ends about a half-inch into the frame. Physically impossible, but it feels that way.
Which is an opinion based on preference. That is just like all the people who hate Glocks because of their frame angle. I like the trigger on my PT845. Yes it is a very long pull but once I got used to it, I am fine with it now. But if people have their preferences on trigger pulls and aren't willing to sort of "re-train" then a newer gen Taurus is probably not for them.

mr.trooper

Post by mr.trooper » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:39 pm

Mikeyboy wrote: +1 the Kimber Solo is also a stinker that fanboys refuse to fess up to.
Not really the direction I was going with that example, but OK.

Any time you try to make a tiny little mouse gun fire a full power pistol cartridge you can easily have issues. There are a lot of engineering hurdles to overcome that have nothing to do with build quality - Look at Boberg arms: extremely high quality gun (hand assembled and finished) but due to the quirky design do have occasional issues (broken springs are a common one). These will be ironed out in time.

Some designs just need to be field tested and adjusted - Remember to Kimber KDP? It was a polymer / striker fired pistol that was advertised in every magazine circa 2007 or so. It was never released because Kimber was never able to iron out its quirks. They sold the design to Ruger, who came out with the suspiciously similar SR9 a few years later.

I have no doubt the KDP probably had a high build quality... But it was a total 180* from the type of pistol they are used to building, and they were not able to perfect the design.
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

RedArmyCommissar

Post by RedArmyCommissar » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:57 pm

Have had a PT92 for years, and it really has been a workhorse, tough and reliable. No complaints. Would have no hesitation reaching for it should the dead start rising.
"Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final."

Hunter S. Thompson

BJMadden85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of them...

Post by BJMadden85 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:16 pm

I say yes. I had a Springfield Armory GI .45 1911 standard in Gunkote OD green and loved it. Then I bought a Taurus Judge in .45LC/.410 and loved it. Sold the 1911 kept the Judge, more versatile...
Brandon J. Madden, Esq.
ZS member
ZSC:017

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear. -Mark Twain

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:51 pm

BJMadden85 wrote:I say yes. I had a Springfield Armory GI .45 1911 standard in Gunkote OD green and loved it. Then I bought a Taurus Judge in .45LC/.410 and loved it. Sold the 1911 kept the Judge, more versatile...
:lol:

Return to “Handguns”