Is it Ok to like Taurus yet?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Is it Ok to like Taurus yet?

Post by RickOShea » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:03 pm

Maverick299 wrote:Why the 9mm? Wouldn't the .38 Super move her into the major power category.........or does Jesse not need anything else to classify her as major? :clap:
Copypasta:

Taurus just launched a new site — and a movement, if you believe the home page. Carry On supports the “growing brotherhood and (yes!) sisterhood of those who choose a concealed carry lifestyle,” along with Second Amendment freedoms. So what’s not to like? And they’re promising more to come, too, to go with their new presences on the Twitters and MyFace. Anyway, in addition to the Taurus promotional info, the site has links for finding a range near you, the NRA-ILA’s gun laws by state page and the NSSF’s First Shots program. One more thing: they want to know your PH factor. We were kinda at a loss until it was revealed that PH is short for Preferred Handgun. Looks like Taurus prez Mark Kresser doesn’t mess around — he’s a PH-357 man. So now that you know, what’s your PH factor?
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:19 pm

As soon as they fix the 3 mile long trigger on the 24/7 series, we can talk. Until then...nope.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:21 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Maverick299 wrote:Why the 9mm? Wouldn't the .38 Super move her into the major power category.........or does Jesse not need anything else to classify her as major? :clap:
Copypasta:

Taurus just launched a new site — and a movement, if you believe the home page. Carry On supports the “growing brotherhood and (yes!) sisterhood of those who choose a concealed carry lifestyle,” along with Second Amendment freedoms. So what’s not to like? And they’re promising more to come, too, to go with their new presences on the Twitters and MyFace. Anyway, in addition to the Taurus promotional info, the site has links for finding a range near you, the NRA-ILA’s gun laws by state page and the NSSF’s First Shots program. One more thing: they want to know your PH factor. We were kinda at a loss until it was revealed that PH is short for Preferred Handgun. Looks like Taurus prez Mark Kresser doesn’t mess around — he’s a PH-357 man. So now that you know, what’s your PH factor?

Huh :?:
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:53 pm

Why buy a Taurus when there are many other options available to accomplish the same thing?

What can Taurus do that S&W or Ruger cannot? Not much.

I owned a Taurus Revolver... sold it as soon as I knew better.
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

FelixArchon

Post by FelixArchon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:55 pm

RickOShea wrote:
I'll be in my bunk.

Holger Danske
Favorite Zombie Movies: Charlottes Web

Post by Holger Danske » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:58 pm

Maverick299 wrote:
Holger Danske wrote:I bought a S&W which broke, S&W customer service was incredible.
I bought a Colt which broke, Colt customer service was excellent.
I bought a Glock which broke, Glock customer service was good.
I bought a Taurus which broke, they jacked me around hard.
Fuck taurus.
My god, you are either the unluckiest person in the world, or you need to stop using your weapons to pound in railroad spikes!

I've owned several Taurus throughout the years and have never had issues, I wouldn't have any problems with owning another if the right deal comes along.
No kidding!
-My brand new S&W Bodyguard 380 had a trigger reset issue that was well documented (early adopter disease.)
-My brand new Colt LE6920 had gas issues right out of the box.
-My shiny new G17 Gen 4 ( aka Mr. Bubbles) had ejector issues right out of the box.
-After my Taurus experience I divested myself of all my Taurus / Rossi's firearms.
Life is good now.

Sins

Post by Sins » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:17 pm

It's ok to like YOUR Taurus... if hell has frozen over then it is ok to like the entire Taurus brand

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:28 pm

I've got one taurus right now: It's a big .357 Tracker and its had about 15,000 rounds through it over the last 25 years.

Its a fantastic pistol, the trigger feels as smooth as my S&W now.

This is a sample size of one. Other tauruses Ive owned were pieces of shit and I sold them post-haste.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

cemoulton

Post by cemoulton » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:50 am

We recently sent a small frame .38 Rossi back to Taurus because the cylinder was locking up. It was back to us at the shop within 3 weeks! We were like wow that was fast! Sadly the cylinder still locks up (maybe worse than before) so back in the mail it went.

I think they are typically decent firearms but like anything built by man they can and will fail. My problem is with there failure on the repair. Customer service was actually pretty pleasant.

This was only time I have witnessed a Taurus/Rossi being sent for repair so it is very possible that this is NOT a common issue.
"JamesCannon wrote: I don't think any victim has ever cried out "If only someone was there to sit idly by and watch..."

"phil_in_cs wrote: People with lots of guns and ammo, but no food, are preparing to be looters and raiders, whether they admit to that or not."

ace of shades

Post by ace of shades » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:31 am

Merovech wrote:Why buy a Taurus when there are many other options available to accomplish the same thing?

What can Taurus do that S&W or Ruger cannot? Not much.

I owned a Taurus Revolver... sold it as soon as I knew better.

my first pistol I bought the day I turned 21 was a Taurus 608 with a 4 inch barrel. That paper weight all but turned me off of pistols. The cylinder turns when it shouldn't doesn't when it should, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at 5 yards. I just turned 30 last week and I have put MAYBE 1,000 rounds through it, and not a one of them was fun. My Glock, Walther, Ruger, Kel-tec, hell even my derringer is fun to shoot but my Taurus is anything but. Everyone that has shot it agrees. It kicks like a dirty mule, can't hit shit and its heavy as all get out. I joined here a while back and kicking around in the archives and came across the Taurus thread, It opened my eyes to a lot of things.

Would I buy Taurus again? If I could put a box of ammo through it first before I paid for it maybe.
I hear what you're saying - I just don't respect you enough to give a fuck about your opinion

The VolksRodders Forum - cut, weld, drive

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:15 pm

They keep putting out new guns and updating their design, at what at least seems to me, to be a pretty decent pace and as well as following what the market trends are. Plus despite what we all think of the Judge line up its been a huge seller for the company.
BLUF: So what? And the question continues to be "Why bother?" There's no good reason to buy one of theirs when there's proven guns available. Until there's a better pistol than the Glock, which encompasses not only a durable, reliable pistol but easy to find support equipment that has economy of scale to keep the prices down, then I'll take a look. I'm not a fanboy; if something better can replace the Glock, I'll be all over it...a few years down the road.

You can pretty much guarantee that Jessie's Taurus has as many factory parts in it as Todd Jarrett's Paras: frame and slide.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

professor challenger

Post by professor challenger » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:41 pm

I have one of their .22lr revolvers and it runs great. Never any issues, accurate and smooth.

Never shot any of their semi-autos, mine are Berettas.

Find what you like and practice enough to be confident in it.

GDTwinkie

Post by GDTwinkie » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:01 am

I've got a PT1911 that I've put over 3500 rounds through and it's just gotten smoother with time. At this point, I would trust that $500 gun in the same light as I trust my $1200 STI Ranger II, which would be my life. The only problem I had with it is that recoil caused me to lose a grip screw.

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:32 am

GDTwinkie wrote:I've got a PT1911 that I've put over 3500 rounds through and it's just gotten smoother with time. At this point, I would trust that $500 gun in the same light as I trust my $1200 STI Ranger II, which would be my life. The only problem I had with it is that recoil caused me to lose a grip screw.

I was admiring the trigger on a PT 1911 just a few days ago.
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

EmbraceTheHate
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Re: Re: Is it Ok to like Taurus yet?

Post by EmbraceTheHate » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:54 pm

FelixArchon wrote:Just my .02, but Taurus has always been a bargain-priced pistol line, with customer service commensurate with a bargain-priced pistol line. Generally speaking, you get exactly what you pay for, so you just need to decide if you're okay with saving money that would normally go towards customer service.

So sure it's okay to like them, just like its okay to buy a Honda instead of an Acura. There's just a higher chance of having problems, and a higher chance that any problems you have are not going to be resolved over the course of your ownership. Is that chance worth it for you to save a few hundred bucks over a very similar pistol from Smith, Ruger, Colt, Beretta, etc.? Lets be serious: most of us don't shoot for a living, and the couple hundred dollars you save with a Taurus is not nothing.

If you're a pro, then you've already solved your pistol needs, probably with something that says Glock on it. If you're an amateur, you should probably take note of this, and solve your own pistol needs in similar fashion. But if you're an amateur and find a Taurus that suits your requirements and your wallet, don't turn away just because its a Taurus.
Wtf is wrong with honda its like the leader of reliabilty..

sent from my galaxy tab 2

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:53 pm

I wanted to some pocket guns, so I got myself a nice looking Sigp238.

$620 for a pistol with one mag. If you want another mag that will cost you $50...OK that burn my backside a bit. First 100 rounds the finish on the barrel/chaber wore off. Great sights but with the 8lb single action trigger pull it wasn't as accurate as I thought. 17.2oz loaded, man that is heavy for a .380 pocket gun. Also the gun occasional boobles when it gets dirty, say after 50 round or so.

Then I got a Ruger LC9. Rip off of a Kel Tec PF9. Tons of crazy safety features. Tiny dot sights and with a heavy long trigger pull its not real accurate. No problem with reliability. The slide release isn't really a true slide release, its more of a lock. Ruger suggest its a slide lock, but some after some serious use or some light work with 800 grit sandpaper it will work as a true release.

Then I got a Taurus TCP. Just as small as a Ruger LCP but with a last shot hold open and a true slide lock/release. The sights are small but usable. The gun is very accurate for a little pocket .380 and reliable.

Taurus makes some stinkers, but they also make some good guns. Personally Ruger and Sig makes some stinkers but people seem to cut them some slack.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:40 pm

EmbraceTheHate wrote: Wtf is wrong with honda its like the leader of reliabilty..
I believe that Honda has been third, behind Toyota and Ford, for the last decade or so. :wink:

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

DeathBYFox
Favorite Zombie Movies: dead alive

Post by DeathBYFox » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:15 pm

I cant speak about hondas place on the list of reliability. But hondas are much more reliable then acuras

Sāj
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Sāj » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:21 pm

DeathBYFox wrote:I cant speak about hondas place on the list of reliability. But hondas are much more reliable then acuras
In what way? Considering they share almost every motor, I would say the only way an Acura would probably be less reliable than a Honda is because they have more electronics/luxury items to break.

Taurus has proved themselves to me. I have a PT845 with close to 1000 rounds through it and not one FTF or FTE. My father had a PT-92 for many years and he said he had a handful of failures in several thousand rounds. I will say that some of their handguns leave something to be desired but overall for the price, I am not complaining.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:29 am

RickOShea wrote:
EmbraceTheHate wrote: Wtf is wrong with honda its like the leader of reliabilty..
I believe that Honda has been third, behind Toyota and Ford, for the last decade or so. :wink:
With Full size trucks I can see your point. The Ford F-150 always ranks high.

But with everything else, Cars, SUVs, and small pickups, Ford doesn't come close to Toyota, Honda and Subaru.

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/autos/2012 ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://mashable.com/2012/11/03/consumer ... p-10-cars/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:27 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
With Full size trucks I can see your point. The Ford F-150 always ranks high.

But with everything else, Cars, SUVs, and small pickups, Ford doesn't come close to Toyota, Honda and Subaru.

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/autos/2012 ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://mashable.com/2012/11/03/consumer ... p-10-cars/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I see that Honda is ranked SIXTH......And Ford fell out cause three of their best cars were redesigned for 2013, and there's not enough data on those yet.

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:58 pm

like others have said. its ok to like it and if it works for you then who gives a shit what some internet expert says...

i own a PT 145 and it has given me zero issues. ive fed it all kinds of good ammo inc hollow point, and crap reloaded ammo with no issues. i was a member of a taurus forum for some time and there were plenty of happy taurus owners there.

of coarse some owners had issues with their guns and almost all of them complained about the customer service. i belive that taurus makes a decent gun ( at least the one i own was made decent ), but i also belive there customer service sucks based off what so many taurus owners have said. that may have changed though...

i think we all know that any gun maker can have issues, but they also need to step up when an owner has an issue with the product.

ive seen my share of guys having issues with guns at the range, and the few that stick out were not made by taurus. the best was a guy who was bragging how much he spent on his kimber around 1,200.00 as i recall. that thing had nothing but feed/jam problems. this poor bastard ended up buying every brand of .45 ammo the range had on its shelves to try and get the gun to shoot... is kimber a bad gun? probably not, but THAT ONE kimber was a total piece of shit IMO... should that keep me from ever owning a kimber?...

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:41 pm

xxxDarksidexxx wrote:like others have said. its ok to like it and if it works for you then who gives a shit what some internet expert says...

i own a PT 145 and it has given me zero issues. ive fed it all kinds of good ammo inc hollow point, and crap reloaded ammo with no issues. i was a member of a taurus forum for some time and there were plenty of happy taurus owners there.

of coarse some owners had issues with their guns and almost all of them complained about the customer service. i belive that taurus makes a decent gun ( at least the one i own was made decent ), but i also belive there customer service sucks based off what so many taurus owners have said. that may have changed though...

i think we all know that any gun maker can have issues, but they also need to step up when an owner has an issue with the product.

ive seen my share of guys having issues with guns at the range, and the few that stick out were not made by taurus. the best was a guy who was bragging how much he spent on his kimber around 1,200.00 as i recall. that thing had nothing but feed/jam problems. this poor bastard ended up buying every brand of .45 ammo the range had on its shelves to try and get the gun to shoot... is kimber a bad gun? probably not, but THAT ONE kimber was a total piece of shit IMO... should that keep me from ever owning a kimber?...
Yes, kimber's QC has been shit for several years, and I would avoid them as well.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:52 pm

What about the H&K USP in 45 I saw with a cracked slide where the factory installed sights dovetailed in? They chose not to warranty it.
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

Return to “Handguns”