Is it Ok to like Taurus yet?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

tampashooters

Re: Is it Ok to like Taurus yet?

Post by tampashooters » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:31 pm

In the past I have owned Taurus models.. 92, 58, 85, 709, TCP, and a 24/7, and none had any issues. Unfortunately, I don't have any at this time due to my needs, but miss the 92 the most. Most people who bash, are pile on bashers who have never owned one, but claim they have... gang/mob mentality.

On a new note, Taurus just bought Diamondback firearms.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Burnt Toast

Post by Burnt Toast » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:08 pm

I am entertaining the thought of PT111 Millenium Pro for conceal carry. Yay or nay?

Tenderfoot
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland; The Walking Dead

Post by Tenderfoot » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:16 pm

Burnt Toast wrote:I am entertaining the thought of PT111 Millenium Pro for conceal carry. Yay or nay?
Yea from me. I carry one in warm weather IWB. I am a fat kid and it is very comfortable.
"You never know when something will need to be stabbed after being shot repeatedly..."
Local gunstore clerk talking about bayonets

Burnt Toast

Post by Burnt Toast » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:00 pm

I've just purchased a blued PT111 Mill Pro G2 from Buds $360, placed on layaway.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:27 am

I have rented a Taurus revolver and it shot well. I would consider buying one, but would probably want to shoot it first, to be sure it worked.

I have never shot a Taurus semi-auto, and would be very skeptical about buying one, based (solely) on Internet reputation.

If I had a Taurus and it broke, I wouldn't bother with talking to them, I'd just pay a gunsmith to fix it. I assume their CS to be so bad, it's worth the X-hundred dollars not to have to talk to them.

For the record, though, the Taurus revolver I rented shot very well, and I liked it.

Prof. C.J.

Post by Prof. C.J. » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:32 pm

FWIW, I have 2 "Taurii", both of which I've owned for about 5 years. One's a 38 lightweight snub, the other is a 1911 stainless 45 auto. Both have worked flawlessly for countless rounds. I've used both with confidence as carry guns.

My Taurus 1911 in particular has been extremely impressive. I bought it for $499 used. It comes standard with great sights and trigger. It's quite accurate. I've run almost every type of commercial 45 ammo (hardball and hollowpoint) through it and never once had a problem. I took it to a "1911's Only" defensive pistol class a couple of years ago where it kicked the crap out of some of my fellow students' Kimbers, Springfields, etc, that cost 2-3 time as much. My Taurus 1911 plowed through hundreds of rounds there in one day with no cleaning and was one of few guns present that had not a single malf of any kind, even though I was using a hodgepodge of random ammo. When one of my classmates was busy dealing with chronic malfs with his fancy, over-a-grand 1911, I ribbed him that he needed "a cheap, reliable Taurus" instead. :wink: I admit I felt a certain blue collar hero-type pride.

The Taurus 92 clones also have a good rep, at least from what I've heard. I've never owned one, but have known people who have had them for years. Some of them claimed they actually preferred them to real Berettas.

For all I know, Taurus's customer service does suck as much as everyone says, but I wouldn't know as my Taurii have never needed any servicing. I guess I could just be lucky. Or maybe their idiosyncratic/original automatics have more problems than their pistols that are clones of long-established designs like 92s and 1911s?

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:40 am

I've always wanted a Taurus in 44spl.... just never see too many of those.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Dtrain
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Post by Dtrain » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:43 am

Recently I acquired a 7 Shot 357 Taurus Snubby with a Ported Barrel...I have put a couple hundred Rounds of 357/38 Spcl through it.No Problems so far. My Smiths have a better Trigger Pull and feel a bit smoother, but the Taurus is not bad at all

Dtrain

Bahamut
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series

Post by Bahamut » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:03 pm

I own and carry a Taurus PT845. I have never regretted buying the gun. It has always shot straight and true (when I started aiming right :rofl: ) and only had one issue ever. The ejector pin broke. I called taurus and DID NOT have to play the automated oeprator game. Someone picked up, took my information, and had FEDex (I believe) there the next day. I sent the gun in and got it back within 2 weeks. Didn't pay one cent (lifetime warranty on the gun) and had a nice invoice of the issue. The gun has functioned flawlessly since. I have probably put 3,000+ rounds through it. I later discovered through my own research, that some of those Gens were prone to that issue.

The lesson here is that it is always ok to like any brand. So long as it works for you. I know my gun will go bang every time and can count on it to protect my life and those around me. Will every Taurus out there be super awesome? No. Will every Glock be what the fans rave about? No. Will every *insert brand name* be 100% reliable? No. For example, a buddy of mine had a Springfield literally split in half when he loaded a new magazine in. As always, handle a firearm first and if you can shoot one to decide if that style, brand, etc. is for you.
Beware the roving zombie honeybadgers mercenary gangs that have an affinity for switchblades!

jaowens76
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by jaowens76 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:18 pm

my favorite pistol I have owned was a Taurus 85 with pachmyr grips from the factory. Very accurate to 15-20 yards, head shots at that range were pretty consistent. It was also a joy to shoot and at the time cheap to feed ('95). IIRC the only reason I sold "Black Betty" was because Uncle Sam thought I should eat more kimchi. If I can find a good deal on one just like 'ol Betty I will probably buy it for my wife... which means I will shoot it the most.

veamon

Post by veamon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:58 pm

I bought a Taurus 651 .357 and a Judge about a month or so ago, and have had no issues. The .357 doesn't kick as bad as I thought, and I was hitting bullseyes with .45 in the Judge at 20 yards all day.

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:22 am

Burnt Toast wrote:I've just purchased a blued PT111 Mill Pro G2 from Buds $360, placed on layaway.
I'm seriously considering this gun. Can you tell us how it goes when you get it?
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

Burnt Toast

Post by Burnt Toast » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:46 pm

Haven't been on in awhile, finally relearned how to post pics properly with Photo Bucket's new format.

Burnt Toast

Post by Burnt Toast » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:52 pm

So far so good, fits comfortably in my hand and lite weight even fully loaded.
SIG Sauer P250 to compare with

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:24 pm

Nice! Range report and quality?
DA/SA trigger?
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

Burnt Toast

Post by Burnt Toast » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:54 pm

I had a chance to "break-in" my new to me striker fire 9mm. Spent only 200 rounds but this is the best one since I've shot using both right and left hands. I'm a right hand shooting at 18 ft. The other targets I was practicing around with off shooting unsupported at varying distances. As you can see here, I shot with both eyes open (outside the shoot-n-c sticker).

Trigger is crisp SA/DA, ZERO failures of any kind, thus far. Winchester white box target loads.
Last edited by Burnt Toast on Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:58 pm

Nice.
Choosing this or a Bersa Thunder Pro UC9.
Thanks for the input and pics.

Return to “Handguns”