Is it Ok to like Taurus yet?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MicSteve

Post by MicSteve » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:59 pm

So I know Taurus doesn't exactly have the greatest reputation (or following or love or etc.) on these boards but I just keep wondering when and if it will ever be time to count them as acceptable.

They keep putting out new guns and updating their design, at what at least seems to me, to be a pretty decent pace and as well as following what the market trends are. Plus despite what we all think of the Judge line up its been a huge seller for the company.

So I keep wondering to myself if its been enough yet? I just can't help but feel like I'm going car shopping and I'm about to get suckered into buying the sweet ole Kia that was only driven every Sunday to Church. Once I get it home though it will break down, leave me stranded, beat my kids, and run off with the Mrs back to Brazil.
The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Is it Ok to like Taurus yet?

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:02 pm

MicSteve wrote:So I know Taurus doesn't exactly have the greatest reputation (or following or love or etc.) on these boards but I just keep wondering when and if it will ever be time to count them as acceptable.

They keep putting out new guns and updating their design, at what at least seems to me, to be a pretty decent pace and as well as following what the market trends are. Plus despite what we all think of the Judge line up its been a huge seller for the company.

So I keep wondering to myself if its been enough yet? I just can't help but feel like I'm going car shopping and I'm about to get suckered into buying the sweet ole Kia that was only driven every Sunday to Church. Once I get it home though it will break down, leave me stranded, beat my kids, and run off with the Mrs back to Brazil.
When QC and CC are better than 50/50. ETA and when their semiauto triggers aren't half a mile long.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:03 pm

I would say no. However, after being burned once I have never bought another so my comment is only opinion, not fact.

hkusp1

Post by hkusp1 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:15 pm

It's not a popularity contest, get whatever brand of gun you like or that fits you the best. I have a few Taurus firearms and haven't had any issues with them.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:30 pm

Practical for so many reasons....

These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Tenderfoot
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland; The Walking Dead

Post by Tenderfoot » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:42 pm

I only own one (PT111 Pro 9mm) but I have no complaints. I like the slim profile and have fed it enough ammo of different kinds and quantities to use it as my warm weather IWB carry gun.
"You never know when something will need to be stabbed after being shot repeatedly..."
Local gunstore clerk talking about bayonets

huntertibbs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by huntertibbs » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:30 pm

I own 3 and have only had one issue with the safety on my 1911 clone, sent it to them and it was back less than a month later. No issues since

I'd rather be hunting than using tapatalk

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:34 pm

Didn't the CEO of Taurus apologize for their poor reputation a couple months back, and promised they would "up" their product quality.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:02 pm

RickOShea wrote:Didn't the CEO of Taurus apologize for their poor reputation a couple months back, and promised they would "up" their product quality.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/0 ... us-no-more
Yup.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:26 pm

I think if they make a product, you buy it, you put it through its paces and if it works for you, then who cares what everyone else thinks?

I don't own one, and I do tend to favor companies with better reputations, but I also don't have the time and money to test drive a lot of different firearms or gear. I go with what works and with what is recommended by guys who have been shot at. But I suspect most companies are capable of turning out something decent every now and then.

So if you like it, go for it. Let's see, there was some joke about a moped. . .
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

Holger Danske
Favorite Zombie Movies: Charlottes Web

Post by Holger Danske » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:37 pm

I bought a S&W which broke, S&W customer service was incredible.
I bought a Colt which broke, Colt customer service was excellent.
I bought a Glock which broke, Glock customer service was good.
I bought a Taurus which broke, they jacked me around hard.
Fuck taurus.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:43 pm

Yeah, Taurus CS is still empirically the same process its always been:

1. Send gun to miami.
2. *time passes*
3. Taurus USA sends your gun to Brazil
4. *time passes*
5. Your gun comes back from Brazil to miami
6. *time passes*
7. Taurus USA sends your gun back to you, perhaps with the problem fixed, perhaps with a new problem, but almost certainly with some new dings and scratches in it that werent there when you mailed it to Miami 6 months before.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

FelixArchon

Post by FelixArchon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:32 pm

Just my .02, but Taurus has always been a bargain-priced pistol line, with customer service commensurate with a bargain-priced pistol line. Generally speaking, you get exactly what you pay for, so you just need to decide if you're okay with saving money that would normally go towards customer service.

So sure it's okay to like them, just like its okay to buy a Honda instead of an Acura. There's just a higher chance of having problems, and a higher chance that any problems you have are not going to be resolved over the course of your ownership. Is that chance worth it for you to save a few hundred bucks over a very similar pistol from Smith, Ruger, Colt, Beretta, etc.? Lets be serious: most of us don't shoot for a living, and the couple hundred dollars you save with a Taurus is not nothing.

If you're a pro, then you've already solved your pistol needs, probably with something that says Glock on it. If you're an amateur, you should probably take note of this, and solve your own pistol needs in similar fashion. But if you're an amateur and find a Taurus that suits your requirements and your wallet, don't turn away just because its a Taurus.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:02 pm

hkusp1 wrote:It's not a popularity contest, get whatever brand of gun you like or that fits you the best.
^This.

If you like them and they actually work for you that's all that matters.

However unless pigs fly and Taurus completely does a 180 degree turn I'll never buy one.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:24 pm

My wife has a 24/7...two years ago we went hunting and I carried my Sig Pro while she carried her 24/7 in the desert for a week. The following week we loaded up brown bear ammo (without any cleaning...to see what would happen) and went to town. Her 24/7 performed flawlessly for about 500 rounds. My Sig had two failure to fire (due to dirt buildup around the hammer...second trigger pull fired both times).

She is a Taurus lover...I still have reservations based on Internet lore. Other than the CS issues, I see no reason not to choose Taurus. In a SHTF or SD scenario, I'd use her gun if it was what I had with full confidence.

If I could buy any gun regardless of price, Taurus would not rank in the top 5. Simply because I've heard the horrror stories.

The point is that I'd take a Taurus (or any gun I knew that had performed flawlessly) over any other brand of firearm that I had no personal experience with. So shoot it, shoot it some more, and only you can gauge if it is good enough.

FYI, I had an Eotech fail at the range lately (which has a stellar reputation) but I would still have more confidence in it than an off the shelf version of anything else because I KNOW that specific sight (battery compartment lever broke during a very infrequent need to change batts).
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Leper Messiah

Post by Leper Messiah » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:01 pm

Personally I got screwed over on a 38 revolver from them and will never buy another Taurus again. I will look at one and handle it at a show or store but that is it. Just based on handling recent copies I see no improvement in QC from them.

RepoMan73
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RepoMan73 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:56 pm

I've always thought their revolvers were ok but I would never get a semi-auto.
My opinion...60% of the time, it's right every time!

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:04 pm

It OK to like them.

Just never let anyone know, especially online.

Personally I have NEVER seen a broken one. But I have seen a Glock without a rear sight. Lost while on duty sometime that week. Easy fix just quite surprising considering some of the over the top recommendations we hear about them.

closingresponse

Post by closingresponse » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:36 am

I bought a Taurus 2" .357 from my wife's uncle. He bought it in the early 80's. No safety or other bs. Since I've had it I've put at least 400 rounds of 357 and at least that many 38spl rounds down the pipe.
No issues at all other than sore wrist after a good amount of 357 rounds! Am I a die hard fan of Taurus? Not nessesarily. Does it go pew pew pew every time I pull the trigger? Yup, sure does!

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
gravediggerfour wrote:I save mine and mix it with Unicorn semen and rainbow tears. I use this mixture to lube my AR.

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:57 am

Holger Danske wrote:I bought a S&W which broke, S&W customer service was incredible.
I bought a Colt which broke, Colt customer service was excellent.
I bought a Glock which broke, Glock customer service was good.
I bought a Taurus which broke, they jacked me around hard.
Fuck taurus.
My god, you are either the unluckiest person in the world, or you need to stop using your weapons to pound in railroad spikes!

I've owned several Taurus throughout the years and have never had issues, I wouldn't have any problems with owning another if the right deal comes along.
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:20 pm

docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:56 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:25 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Why the 9mm? Wouldn't the .38 Super move her into the major power category.........or does Jesse not need anything else to classify her as major? :clap:
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:00 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Hellloooo, nurse.

I owned a well-used 24-7 in 9mm for a short while, liked it ok, it never gave me any problems. Always went bang. I appreciate that they are trying to innovate, unlike some of the other players. Sort of like KelTec that way, their product line is different pretty much every year, and they fill a budgetary retail niche. That said, I would treat them like KelTec by only buying models which had been out for a while and had the bugs worked out. I'd never be the first in line for the latest KelTec or Taurus...the G2 looks sharp, but I'd. never get rid of my Glock 23 for one.
"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

Return to “Handguns”