Optic for a two-ammo revolver?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics
Abuhin

Optic for a two-ammo revolver?

Post by Abuhin » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:36 am

A .357 Magnum can also fire .38 Special. A .44 Magnum can take .44 Special. The S&W 610 fires 10mm Auto and .40 S&W. The Taurus Judge... Never mind, you get the idea.

I'm thinking of getting one of these revolvers. Target shooting range toy, mostly, and the possibility of handgun hunting. This won't be a first pick defensive gun.

I've seen the 'Weig-a-tinny' rail to add an accessory to the top, and know that there's other options to scope. So I'm thinking of zeroing to
50 yds EDIT feet with the power cartridge to hunt mid-size game where ethical. But if I had to resort to using it defensively, I'd load up the weaker ammo. Is that what you'd do, too? I mean, the likelihood of being put in a life/death scenario with this and not my primary arms doesn't bother me that much.

So will firing the defensive rounds make a big difference to the optic? Or am I just overthinking about the distances of a mugging or B&E vs hunting a hog or small species deer?
Last edited by Abuhin on Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: For anonymity and security's sake, this poster may alter, omit, or fabricate details of his personal life and circumstances.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Re: Optic for a two-ammo revolver?

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:38 am

I'm thinking you're being very optimistic zeroing in at 50 yds.

That might be something you'd do if you were hunting with a pistol.

But if you're talking range and backup PD, which you would want to zero at 10 yds and that would be good from zero out to 25 yds. I wouldn't take the shot at 50yds YMMV. At these short ranges it won't make a difference if you're using a + round or standard, etc. on where the zero is, but it will make a difference on shooter accuracy, recoil and follow-up shots.

In this scenario Zero distance is a tradeoff between Site over bore and effective range.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:34 am

I would zero it at the intended hunting distance, then shoot is at a defensive distance, to see the shift in point of impact.

BUT if you are using a scoped revolver in a defensive shooting you will be likely be snap shooting. I have found it hard to quickly get the scope on target. getting everything aligned for a long eye relief scope isn't as simple as on a rifle.

Abuhin

Post by Abuhin » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:32 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:38 am
I'm thinking you're being very optimistic zeroing in at 50 yds.
Oops, that should be feet.
I'll edit.
Disclaimer: For anonymity and security's sake, this poster may alter, omit, or fabricate details of his personal life and circumstances.