Best cheap 9mm for PAW trade? Star BM 9mm for $200?

Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Best cheap 9mm for PAW trade? Star BM 9mm for $200?

Post by NT2C » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:23 pm

moab wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:50 pm
flybynight wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:51 pm
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/search#query=star%20bm

Here ya go . Good luck
Ya. I think I'll buy one for parts.
The trouble with buying one for parts is that you only get one of each part, and used ones at that. If there's parts prone to breakage or wear, such as the extractors, I think I'd prefer to stock up on several NOS ones.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

moab

Post by moab » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:23 pm
moab wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:50 pm
flybynight wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:51 pm
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/search#query=star%20bm

Here ya go . Good luck
Ya. I think I'll buy one for parts.
The trouble with buying one for parts is that you only get one of each part, and used ones at that. If there's parts prone to breakage or wear, such as the extractors, I think I'd prefer to stock up on several NOS ones.
AGreed. But at those prices. Probably better to start with one of each in a parts gun. And then just augment parts of numrich that you think are going to break. I think a full set from numrich would cost way more than $150.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:45 pm

I vote SCCY. I see them pop up for $185. Or maybe even go revolver with the RIA/Armscor .38 or EAA WIndicator .357. I see those around $200 as well.

But... those Beretta 92S models can be bought almost as cheap, look a lot cooler, and will be worth a lot more in 30 years if the ZPAW never happens...
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:22 pm

Yea don't know if you saw. SOG had Beretta's with poor finish for under 200. Mechanically fine, cosmetically worn
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:29 pm

flybynight wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:22 pm
Yea don't know if you saw. SOG had Beretta's with poor finish for under 200. Mechanically fine, cosmetically worn
That there gets my vote. I need to look into those. Maybe call it a "battle worn finish" or something.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:02 pm

flybynight wrote:
Those are the 92S with the heel release. Mags aren't directly interchangeable with the 92FS, but modifications can be made to FS mags to make them work.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

moab

Post by moab » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:10 pm

I know I'm not making the best investment choice. But I'm going with the Star BM. I just can't stand the 92fs. It takes a larger hand to really shoot that gun. And I HATE shooting them. I have medium to bulky sized hands. And they feel like a brick to me. I just can't get around that. I know it's a better option for parts availability. But again, a lot of those I might share these with are women. And there is no way they could handle a 92fs. Also the Star is more concealable. 92fs just seems like a really oversized full size pistol to me. Yes, higher round count, more parts etc. But if I hate them how can I justify buying them? Other than as an investment. And I don't think the quality of the these newest offerings are really investment grade. I emailed SOG and they flatly stated they do not check barrels - even in their good to very good ones for $239. Not that I'm guaranteed a good barrel on a Star. But Classic offers hand select for 20 bucks. If I am buying several I might get them to check barrels as well. They're also offering "back in stock emails" on their $150 fair quality Stars. So maybe I'll be able to pick a couple of those up for parts. Numrich has parts. But they're pretty expensive. I think if I get a couple $150 specials for parts. And then buy a few of those individual parts that I think will for sure wear out or break from Numrich. I'll be set.

I guess the hard part is I'm an investment only buyer of guns. Meaning I don't buy anything I don't know I can get more money out of later. I'm sure the Star will go up some. Once the stocks run out. And all that is left is on gunbroker. But probably not to the same extent of the 92fs. Those could be worth upwards of $400 in a shorter time frame. Which isn't an out of this worlds stretch for the Star either. But that part still kills me. Cause I know the Beretta is a better investment. I mean it's a Beretta for $239! lol. I just wish they were for me. But I hate how they shoot. So I'm going with the Star. There. I've actually made a decision. (Took long enough huh?! lol)

Thanks for chiming in guys. I really appreciate being able to discuss the PAW viability of arms. Not something you can do just any old place on the interwebs.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:25 pm

I'd still consider stocking up on a few of the more prone to failure parts, like extractors: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/715800
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

moab

Post by moab » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:27 pm

yossarian wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:02 pm
flybynight wrote:
Those are the 92S with the heel release. Mags aren't directly interchangeable with the 92FS, but modifications can be made to FS mags to make them work.
They're actually $190 for their fair models at SOG. But to be fair - no pun intended - I emailed them and they flatly stated they don't check barrels at all on either their fair or good to very good models. Thanks for the tip on the mags. That makes my decision even easier. I'm going with the Star. And if the $150's from Classic are any good. I might even buy more of them as well. I don't care about finish. Only barrel and parts wear. I can dip them in black oxide or park them myself. I would assume a lot of these have a lot of holster wear. I don't know which model the 92 or the Star is more likely to have had corrosive ammo shot thru it and not cleaned. I know that's an issue with some of the Stars. Not sure about LEO guns from Spain. I guess those would be just as likely to have had corrosive shot thru them.

One thing I've never understood. Is how a military or LEO firearm could ever be left not cleaned?!!! I mean that seems to be a golden rule in the US military and LE. I mean that's the ONE THING you do after going to the range opr firing your gun. Is stand around and clean your weapons for hours. And then get inspected by your squad leader and then your platoon leader and then maybe even a battalion leader. It was like the one thing you NEVER left uncleaned. It was like not taking a shower. Why they don't do this (and with corrosive ammo no less) in foreign armies and LE is beyond me. You should see AK's out of Yugoslavia. Now maybe those were captured during combat (I don't really know) but their non chromelined barrels were majorly trashed by time they hit American shores. I mean shit growing in them. Before US barrels that was all you had. And the barrel condition of the parts kit was THE most important attribute of the kit.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:27 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:25 pm
I'd still consider stocking up on a few of the more prone to failure parts, like extractors: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/715800
Yes. AGreed. That's the plan.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:41 pm

Let us know your impressions of the star's when you get them. Condition/range report ect

John Titor was right

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:18 pm

I know you've probably already made a decision on your purchase, but what the Ruger P series pistols ?

I know I've seen used P85 and P89 pistols at decent prices (I've found them online for right around 250 and lower depending on condition) and parts are readily available. Granted, they're butt ugly, kind of heavy, but they're built like tanks and can take a beating.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:09 am

moab wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:27 pm

[...] It was like not taking a shower. Why they don't do this [...] in foreign armies and LE is beyond me. [...]
Asked and answered.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:30 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:09 am
moab wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:27 pm

[...] It was like not taking a shower. Why they don't do this [...] in foreign armies and LE is beyond me. [...]
Asked and answered.
LOL.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Combat support soldiers tend to have leaders that are more concerned about other things than the long pointy black thing they carry around everywhere and sometimes lose. With pistols it is even less so.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

moab

Post by moab » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:21 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:35 pm
Combat support soldiers tend to have leaders that are more concerned about other things than the long pointy black thing they carry around everywhere and sometimes lose. With pistols it is even less so.
I didn't think about that. Our motor pool was like that. Terrible with weapons and weapons maintenance.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:09 am

moab wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:21 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:35 pm
I didn't think about that. Our motor pool was like that. Terrible with weapons and weapons maintenance.
Every six months I had to track down the ship's disbursing officer and request that he open the safe so I could exchange the 1911A1 and two full magazines kept in there. Every six months he told me we'd "do it next time" and dismissed me. Never did get that weapon swapped out for PMS, and I was on that ship for 18 months. From what the other guys in my division told me it'd been in there since the ship was commissioned. Might even still be in there and the ship is due to be scrapped soon.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:37 am

Ya know for 60 bucks more you could get a Creed or Sar . Just throwing that out there

https://www.cdnnsports.com/walther-cree ... 2653vZFxMs

https://www.cdnnsports.com/eaa-sar-k2p- ... 27mJPZFxMs

Or.... even cheaper ...when I went to get those links I found this

https://www.cdnnsports.com/eaa-sarb6p-9 ... 27mWvZFxMs

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:49 am

flybynight wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:37 am
Ya know for 60 bucks more you could get a Creed or Sar . Just throwing that out there

https://www.cdnnsports.com/walther-cree ... 2653vZFxMs

https://www.cdnnsports.com/eaa-sar-k2p- ... 27mJPZFxMs

Or.... even cheaper ...when I went to get those links I found this

https://www.cdnnsports.com/eaa-sarb6p-9 ... 27mWvZFxMs
I'll vouch for the B6P as being a dependable, well made, accurate 9mm. I've owned one for awhile now. Might soon own another at that price. 8-)

moab

Post by moab » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:01 pm

That Walther has me thinking for sure. Are there any generalizations to be made - all metal pistol vs polymer and metal pistol? Do either go thru parts any faster? Longevity? One thing for sure is I would think a polymer pistol would hold up better in storage. Less to rust. Better coating on metal. It's new and not used. Comes with 2 mags. Has white dot sights. Not night sights. But an upgrade from the Star. (Damn it! Now I have to start all over! lol! Damn you guys!) ;)

I'm learly of those other brands. For parts and longevity sake. Like how long will they be around? How hard will it be to find parts? I wouldn't think Walther is going away anytime soon. This just put a big kink in my decisions. For the good though. Looking for reviews now.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:09 pm

The Star has two people saying "it broke on me or on a buddy." Out of a pool of how many people who have owned one? The Walther is a new gun with new and modern manufacturing behind it. I'd go for the Walther any day that ends with a "y." :mrgreen:
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:11 pm

moab wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:01 pm
That Walther has me thinking for sure. Are there any generalizations to be made - all metal pistol vs polymer and metal pistol? Do either go thru parts any faster? Longevity? One thing for sure is I would think a polymer pistol would hold up better in storage. Less to rust. Better coating on metal. It's new and not used. Comes with 2 mags. Has white dot sights. Not night sights. But an upgrade from the Star. (Damn it! Now I have to start all over! lol! Damn you guys!) ;)

I'm learly of those other brands. For parts and longevity sake. Like how long will they be around? How hard will it be to find parts? I wouldn't think Walther is going away anytime soon. This just put a big kink in my decisions. For the good though. Looking for reviews now.
(Damn it! Now I have to start all over! lol! Damn you guys!) ;)
That's what we're here for :wink: You're welcome :awesome:

SAR Arms is the importer / distributor for the Sarslimaz firearms group, who is one of the largest manufacturers of small arms in the world. They are based out of Turkey, and have a 125-year history of making guns of all kinds

John Titor was right

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:43 pm

Both the SAR's come with only one magazine EAA shows 36 bucks ea but out of stock. That site the gun is on had them for 24 but don't see them now.
The creed comes with two mags. People are raving about the creeds light consitent trigger. Hickock 45 loved the gun . He could'nt stop chuckling about how nice it was.

The Sar is considered a well made clone of CZ 75 model.

Didn't you say most of these guns would end up gong to ladies?

https://www.cdnnsports.com/eaa-sar-b6p- ... 29FJPZFxMs

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:08 pm

flybynight wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:43 pm
Both the SAR's come with only one magazine EAA shows 36 bucks ea but out of stock. That site the gun is on had them for 24 but don't see them now.
The creed comes with two mags. People are raving about the creeds light consitent trigger. Hickock 45 loved the gun . He could'nt stop chuckling about how nice it was.

The Sar is considered a well made clone of CZ 75 model.

Didn't you say most of these guns would end up gong to ladies?

https://www.cdnnsports.com/eaa-sar-b6p- ... 29FJPZFxMs
There's a few places that carry the Sar mags. I've gotten them from Cheaper Than Dirt in the past for $24 but they're now up to almost $32

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product ... ory=676795

Return to “Handguns”