Handgun, Pistol and Revolver topics

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

I'm compensating for something... on a SA XDm-9mm

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Basically posting this as a faux-review FYI just in case anyone was looking for info since there was little out there.

I've been working on an FDE 4.5" Springfield Armory XDm 9mm. It's the one with a threaded barrel and raised suppressor sights. Since it had a threaded barrel, I thought throwing a comp on there would be a fun time.

OPTIONS:
Currently, there are few options for XDm compensators. Honestly, unless you are shooting a Glock or a Beretta, cool options are pretty limited for most handguns. The two big options I found were an XDm specific aluminum comp from Springer Precision for $90. Or, I could go with a Yankee Hill Machine universal steel comp (which requires a 1/2x28 thread adapter and then the comp) for a total of around $85 for both pieces.

I decided that since I have a factory threaded barrel, I'd buy the specific XDm comp made for the factory threaded barrel since it was basically the same price as the less attractive looking YHM comp. It was also much lighter, but I'll get to that later.

ADDITIONS:
Scrounging the interwebs, I read that when running a comp, one needs to also change the recoil springs to adapt for the lightened recoil. If a comp is so good, it will slow down the slide and it may not reliably eject or reload the next round. So, if you run a comp, get weaker springs.

The stock XDm has 18lb recoil spring. I decided I will need less than that so I ordered springs from Wolff Springs. I bought the XDm pack that comes with the 14#, 16#, and factory 18# springs. This cost about $18.

INSTALLATION:
It threads on. I oiled it first as it was super tight and I did not want to strip the threads. But, threading it on and backing it off constantly allowed the threads to mate nicely. The comp from Springer Precision comes with red loctite, but I have not added it yet after two range trips (I just adjust the threads after every mag since I'm still dinking around with it)

***Oh, and I shredded the shit out of my hand. The slots that were machined were knife sharp and after threading it with my bare hand, I had blood pouring out of my left palm. It was sharp enough that I didn't feel it until I felt the blood. So wear gloves or wrap it in a rag and use a wrench to thread the comp on. I'm sure this applies to most comps***

SHOOTING:
Honestly, I was less than thrilled with the recoil reduction in a $90 tacti-cool comp. I shot many different loads from 115gr to 147gr ammo, and the stock 18# recoil spring was fine. No reliability issues. I noticed a slight recoil reduction, and a slight increase in volume, but it did not turn this fire-breathing 9mm into a .22LR

Looking back, I think the light weight of the aluminum comp is actually a bad thing. Just like adding a flashlight to the rails of a handgun, adding weight to the muzzle will reduce recoil. If that addition is about 2 oz, it will not reduce recoil as much as the all steel YHM comp which weighs a little bit more.

CONCLUSION:
So would I buy a comp again? Probably not. It looks cool, it kinda works, but it's a $50 part at most.

So unless there is a 40% sale on comps in the future, I will only be buying them for looks and not necessarily performance.

Possible updates to be included one day if I'm bored.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Return to “Handguns”