It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:25 am 

JeeperCreeper wrote:
You know anything about driving up north in the winter? I am very proficient in Pennsylvania and Midwest snow, but days on end in the Yukon seems to be a whole other monster...

Not personally. Years ago a buddy and his dad drove a full size Bronco and camper from Palmer? AK to So. IL over Christmas break. Don't remember him complaining much about the roads, just said it was stupid cold. He bought a pair of surplus "Mickey Mouse" boots, said they were worth the money.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:37 am 

As a lifelong Alaskan in the gun business, what ever you buy, make sure you practice with it and are proficient carrying it.
I carry a 10mm and boat load of 357s, with a proper load (Buffalo Bore, HSM Bear Load, Underwood) they are more than adequate to stop Grizzly and Moose.
With a 357 Mag you can afford to shoot 38 special for practice at a cost comparable to 9mm, and jump up to the hot stuff for carry.
Easily 75-90% of the people that buy 44 Mags/ 45 Long Colt / 454 Casull revolvers are so under practiced that watching them at a range under perfect conditions is comical, much less in the Bush under stress.
Think barely keeping 6 rounds on a standard B-15 (man-size) silhouette at 15 yards.
Most develop a terrible flinch as well - hand any of them a revolver and put a snap cap in, you will see a huge flinch.
Ideally, you want to at minimum be where you can draw and shoot say a paper plate sized target at 15 yards in less than 3 seconds.
Note - this is 3 seconds with whatever chest rig or holster you are using, ruck or pack,etc.

Almost all of the big-bore revolvers are a good bit heavier as well.
The only real exceptions that come to mind are the Smith and Wesson Model 329 and Model 69, both are fairly brutal on your hands and wallet for practice.
The most useful woods guns we see up here are 10mm (Glock G20) / 1911 (Kimber/Rock Island), 357 Mag (Smith and Wesson 686 and Ruger GP100).
Nobody carries a shotgun or rifle in the Bush more than once unless they have to, they are a huge PITA fishing and hiking.
IF YOU BRING A HANDGUN THROUGH CANADA make sure your barrel length is over 4" due to some weird laws they have. Not sure if you can bring mags that hold more than 10 through.
Diamond D makes some of the most comfortable chest holsters if you are fishing or driving ATVs, but they are fairly spendy (+$150)
Really, best recommendation if you are concerned about bears is (1) Carry a bear bell, (2) Pay attention to your surroundings, (3) Walk in groups, (4) Pepper Spray.

Seriously, just get a TRR8 already. 8x 357 Mag in a lightweight Scandium alloy frame that takes moonclips from the factory. Also, looks sick as Sh*% from the factory

Oneswunk wrote:
Im going to come up with tactical yam powder... Millions I will make. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:54 am 

The Twizzler wrote:
I have shot 40SW and 357 mag but never 10 mm, 45 super, or 357 SIG. My honest opinion is why not buy one of those SERBU 12 ga shotguns. The ammo is gonna be way cheaper and it's really not that much bigger than a handgun but with more power.
Or if you can find a 20 ga Auto burglar double barrel

Both of these require no special paperwork or tax stamp to my knowledge.

Incorrect, all 3 of these require an AOW (Any Other Weapon) stamp in the United States. $5 transfer tax, no requirement to notify ATF for inter state movement, but still a 6-8 month wait at present for the tax stamp just like a suppressor.

Closest non-stamp item would be a Mossberg Shockwave or Black Aces Delirium Tremens, but good luck finding one and they are still big (26"+), awkward, and heavy.
Better choice if you are going that large would be a Ruger Deerslayer 44 Mag or Ruger Model 44.

Oneswunk wrote:
Im going to come up with tactical yam powder... Millions I will make. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:51 pm 

My two handguns specifically purchased for critter defense while woods walking are:

.357 Magnum 3" Stainless Revolver 6-shot (Ruger GP100 TALO Wiley Clapp - camping/hiking critter defense up to black bear)

.44 Magnum 5" Stainless Revolver 6-shot (Smith and Wesson 629 Classic - big bear and moose medicine while camping/hiking)

While I have a variety of other handguns that I use for utility, social work, or hunting, the two listed above are specifically chosen to change the mind of some furry woods roaming carnivore intent on nibbling my toes (or other parts).

Heavy for caliber hard flat nosed lead in both (Buffalo Bore or HSM Bear Loads).

Of the options you listed a Glock 20 would be high on my list of useful woods handguns for convincing a toothy critter to leave me alone. The ability to add a flashlight while making a nighttime trip from the tent to relieve myself would be a plus. Heavy hardcast lead from Buffalo Bore would be the diet I would feed the G20. Enough sight radius to accurately place your shots. Only hits count.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:44 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I was shooting some really spicy .45LC ammo out of my blackhawk, I gave myself a mean flinch which also carried over to my 357 magnum.

I decided that if I need to shoot fast, I'm sticking with autos. Even with full power 45 +P 255 grain hard casts, I can throw some lead down range quick and accurately and I have 13 rounds in my XD45.

So basically, I decided to run 45 super out of my XD until I get a 10mm one day....

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:54 pm 

Replaced stock Glock barrel with KKM threaded match grade in my G19. Now I can shoot their 115gr 9mm solid brass penetrators. 15+1 of them. Or throw a can on and shoot the 147gr FMJs and be quiet. Amazing ammo like that turns an urban edc pistol into a woods gun.

https://underwoodammo.com/product/handg ... enetrator/

Just some more info about those penetrators. 1250ft @ 400ft/lbs for a solid brass projectile that's hardened and designed to penetrate. Wouldn't be my first choice against a moose but with 15+1 and the low flinch and dependability offered by my G19 I wouldn't feel underarmed.

7-Day Wilderness First Responder(WFR)
2-Day Wilderness First Aid(WFA)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:52 pm 

JeeperCreeper wrote:
So not sure who has seen the new rounds from makers like Buffalo Bore and Underwood, but there has been some crazy bullet designs in the last year.

From what I can gather, carrying a big 'ole revolver may not be the best way to defend against Yogi-Bear anymore. The lower tier ammos (9mm, .40, .357 SIG, .45ACP) can now regularly get around 500 ft/lbs of energy, while top tier (10mm, 45 super) are pushing up to 700 ft/lbs. Now this may not be as potent as a .44 mag, but when an auto-loader can dump 10, 12, or even 17 rounds on a target... that's a lot of firepower. Besides, ever try to shoot a .44 mag quickly?

Below is an example of Underwood's Xtreme penetrator in 9mm (I thought it was a gimmick, but youtube tests show it in a good light)
https://underwoodammo.com/shop/9mm-luge ... etrator-2/

And here is an example of Buffalo Bore "outdoorsman". It contains pictures and a story of a guide who used a 9mm to take down a bear. Obviously there are many lucky stories, but it is a data point.
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... tail&p=388

Now here's my question. I love rationalizing a new handgun purchase. I really want a Glock in 10mm. Or another XD .45 to shoot .45 Super. But those can get pricey and I won't shoot them as often as my 9mm gats. Looking at .40 and .357 SIG guns (possible conversion barrels) will still allow me to pack a punch and use for the range... but is it compromising? I've seen quite a few videos of guys dropping charging moose with Glocks in .40 S&W to realize it isn't a joke. So basically I'm making my head spin.

I know I really need penetration, lending to a flat nosed style bullet. And I like capacity over massive power. A balance of control, "power", and capacity would be nice.

So what do you guys think for a Super-Gat for an upcoming Alaska trip? Stick with 10mm or .45 Super? Or will a high cap lower caliber gun in maybe .40 or .357 SIG do??

the problem here is that you are "assuming" you will have time for that many shots - when mr griz pops out of the brush a few feet away you will be lucky to get more than one shot off..... :oh:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:58 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Mad Mike wrote:

the problem here is that you are "assuming" you will have time for that many shots - when mr griz pops out of the brush a few feet away you will be lucky to get more than one shot off..... :oh:

Well as I understand it, most bear attacks occur from getting blind sided by a bear where there is zero time to pull a gun until Mr. Griz takes a break munching on the victim.

But, I guarantee I can get more shots off... if I have the time to get shots off... with an auto than I will with a magnum revolver in the same window of time. I also have more "potential" to have more rounds.

Speed and quantity is my philosophy. Until I get eaten, then I may change my mind.

zero11010 wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:25 pm 

45 Super spittin' 255s at 1000 fps should be more than enough. If I was a 45 guy,.. a could dedicate myself to that one. Got a little more stank on it than 10 mm of similar bullet weight. 240 gr Cast in my 44 mag at roughly 1000 or less fps shot through a hogs shoulder.

I think grizz will feel that 45's 255 grainer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:42 pm 

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Mad Mike wrote:

Well as I understand it, most bear attacks occur from getting blind sided by a bear where there is zero time to pull a gun until Mr. Griz takes a break munching on the victim.

But, I guarantee I can get more shots off... if I have the time to get shots off... with an auto than I will with a magnum revolver in the same window of time. I also have more "potential" to have more rounds.

Speed and quantity is my philosophy. Until I get eaten, then I may change my mind.

And you'll be shooting better because you won't have developed a flinch from shooting your .500S&W ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:49 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

ColoradoMtnMan wrote:
Replaced stock Glock barrel with KKM threaded match grade in my G19. Now I can shoot their 115gr 9mm solid brass penetrators. 15+1 of them. Or throw a can on and shoot the 147gr FMJs and be quiet. Amazing ammo like that turns an urban edc pistol into a woods gun.

Just some more info about those penetrators. 1250ft @ 400ft/lbs for a solid brass projectile that's hardened and designed to penetrate. Wouldn't be my first choice against a moose but with 15+1 and the low flinch and dependability offered by my G19 I wouldn't feel underarmed.

I actually purchased a box of the 147gr +p+ 9mm FMJ-FN from Underwood a couple months ago but haven't run them yet. Claiming 1175 fps and 451 ft-lbs. Bonus is, they come in boxes of 50. Only downside is, I would call them more of a "rounded flat nose" as they aren't as abrupt/sharp as a WC or SWC or the Perpetrator round.

https://underwoodammo.com/product/handg ... al-jacket/

zero11010 wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:26 am 

JeeperCreeper wrote:
ColoradoMtnMan wrote:

I actually purchased a box of the 147gr +p+ 9mm FMJ-FN from Underwood a couple months ago but haven't run them yet. Claiming 1175 fps and 451 ft-lbs. Bonus is, they come in boxes of 50. Only downside is, I would call them more of a "rounded flat nose" as they aren't as abrupt/sharp as a WC or SWC or the Perpetrator round.

https://underwoodammo.com/product/handg ... al-jacket/

I think that'll be my go-to load when I'm not running the 115 gr +p+ Penetrators. FMJ is spectacular and full powered FMJ is even spectacular-er.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:18 am 

The Twizzler wrote:
I have shot 40SW and 357 mag but never 10 mm, 45 super, or 357 SIG. My honest opinion is why not buy one of those SERBU 12 ga shotguns. The ammo is gonna be way cheaper and it's really not that much bigger than a handgun but with more power.

Both of these require no special paperwork or tax stamp to my knowledge.

Still waiting on my stamps for my AOWs. I got 2...because M500 didnt come with a breacher.

so my 460 was a waste of money? :rofl:

But really, Id carry my glock 40 in the woods.