It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:54 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Have an old AMT double action .380 but it is heavy and the trigger is awful so looking for a new mouse gun in case atacked by rodents. Have not shopped for a pistol in about 10 years. So what is all the rage these days?

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:59 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

I shot a friends Glock42 at the range the other day. Easy to keep on target and "Glock perfection"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:16 pm 

I've got two keltec p3AT's. I liked the first one well enough to grab a second when I found a deal. I have friends that own the Ruger LCP. I haven't handled the Glock so I don't know if it's quite as small, but the Keltec and the Ruger are light, small and flat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:20 pm 

380's are out of fashion.

I've got a bunch of them. Ruger LCP, PPK/S, Colt Government, Colt Pocketlite.

I'd make the jump to 9mm.

Glock 43.

I compared it to a Glock 42 and went with the 43.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:50 pm 

What's the recoil of a pocket .380 compared to a pocket 9mm? I imagine recoil would be a legitimate reason to want to stick with .380 over 9mm.

I've shot a few S&W pocket .380 pistols, but to be honest I'm not sure what the model numbers were.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:13 am 

Recoil on a diminutive little 380 like the Ruger LCP gonna feel more than a Glock 43

There is only one reason to carry a small pocket pistol. That is self protection.

They are not game getters. They are not target pistols.

If you ever pull it and are forced to use it you'll be glad you've got the 9mm. Recoil won't matter.

As stated before I like the 380. Have a bunch of them. But I'd rather have the Glock 43 in 9mm than another 380.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:37 am 

I was thinking more along the lines of if it's miserable to shoot a person might not be as inclined to practice with it.

You make a good point about recoil and the size of the pocket pistol though. Like you said, a Glock 43 weighs twice as much as an LCP.

On the other hand, maybe part of why Raptor is looking for pocket sized pistols is that he wants something as small and light as possible, not just something that will fit in his pocket. Going by manufacturer specifications the Glock 43 is a lot closer in size to the Glock 26 than it is to the Ruger LCP. I don't know if that really matters though. A pen is a lot smaller than a sharpie but they will both fit in a person's pocket without drawing attention or causing much inconvenience.

I'm not saying you're wrong, as 9mm is better than .380, I'm just saying that there still might be reason for some people to choose a really small .380 over a really small 9mm.

ETA: I have never shot a Glock 43 or similarly sized 9mm, so I don't know how much recoil they have. The question in my first post wasn't just rhetorical.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:20 am 

southalabama wrote:
380's are out of fashion.

I've got a bunch of them. Ruger LCP, PPK/S, Colt Government, Colt Pocketlite.

I'd make the jump to 9mm.

Glock 43.

I compared it to a Glock 42 and went with the 43.

I'd agree except to get a S&W Shield instead. Recoil is no problem. Millions of people shoot them without issue. 9mm is cheaper, more effective, easier to find, comes in more bullet types. Capacity is the same and the weight of the weapon is close enough that you won't feel much difference.

Quote:
On the other hand, maybe part of why Raptor is looking for pocket sized pistols is that he wants something as small and light as possible, not just something that will fit in his pocket.

Raptor is looking for one too?

Decide what to be and go be it

There was a dream and one day I could see it
Like a bird in a cage I broke in and demanded that somebody free it

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:49 am 

Stercutus wrote:
Quote:
On the other hand, maybe part of why Raptor is looking for pocket sized pistols is that he wants something as small and light as possible, not just something that will fit in his pocket.

Raptor is looking for one too?

Whoops, apparently I forgot who started this thread. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:49 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I have friend who has the exact AMT pistol. He bought a Ruger LC 380 to replace his after about 30 years.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/ ... odels.html

It has a better but similar (DAO type)trigger than the AMT and the large frame with a smaller round makes it easier to control than the 9mm version. It is about 1 inch longer but weighs about the same unloaded. Loaded it weighs more since it carries 2 more rounds.

Personally I would suggest moving to 9mm since there is an excellent selection of compact carry models about the size of the AMT.

If you want a metal frame IMO you cannot go wrong with a Walther PPK.

If want a true pocket pistol the Baretta Pico, Kahr CW 380 or the Ruger LCP

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:39 pm 

Don't listen to the caliber snobs :). The 380 is just fine. I have a Kahr cw380 I like. It fits the hand well, has decent sights, and fit and finish is better than the keltecs and Rugers.

If you like being a little different and don't mind a jump in price there is always the Seecamp 380. Never shot one but I hear good things. I really like a lot of things about these. I just can't afford one.
Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:55 am 

I jumped on the polymer frame super light .380 bandwagon a few years, had a Walther PK380, S&W Bodyguard, and whatever the little Ruger is called. All three were super snappy and hard to keep on target. Ended up getting a Sig P938, it's a 9MM, but infinitely easier to shoot, nowhere near the recoil felt.

Seems like whenever there is a gun scare .380 becomes hard to find and overpriced, but YMMV.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:47 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I 100% promise that the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380 is a great buy. They are the only true pocket pistol that isn't snappy and can actually shoot at the range for a day. It is surprisingly accurate out to 10 yards or so as well.

If you want a budget one, go Ruger LCP (I like the old one but the new one has some neat features) or KelTec.

The Glocks and 9mms really aren't "pocket" guns. Even in my big pockets, they are not as comfy or concealable as the little .380s.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:59 pm 

Ruger LC380.
Less snappy due to larger frame which is built for a 9mm.

Bear_B wrote:
I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:56 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Thanks for the info everyone. :D I made a decision and got the gun. Will post some pics and model later as uploading the photos.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:21 pm 

It's been several minutes! This is an outrage!

We demand pics! We demand pics!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:15 pm 

Let me guess. You went and got a deal on a M380 from Taurus. :oh:
I secretly like them too (don't tell anyone)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:03 am 

it's probably some kind of multi tool/fire starter, that shoots bullets. OR

Makarov madness :crazy:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:32 am 

Ive been through a lot of mouse guns. Keep in mind Im 178lb, 5'8 athletic build. I use them for 3 reasons; running shorts, to augment my primary, and sport coat-less dress cloths.

I hate the NAA Gaurdian style pistols. Fixed barrel on mine wouldnt feed flat nosed or hollow points. And it broke randomly.

Keltec p3AT. Felt chincy. No last round slide hold open. Sights sucked. Liked the p32 better. Same with older LCPs.

Kahr cw380. Liked it, but just didnt trust it reliability wise. Too long of a brek in period.

S&W bodyguard. My favorite. Dont waste money on the laser ones. Twice ive seen the screw back out and render the gun inoperable. I just remobed mine and locktighted the screw/cover plate down. Mine is an older one, maybe the CTs are better.

Berreta tomcat. Yeah its .32. Well made. Too heavy for what it was. Shot reliably. Too big for my pockets.

Sig238. Loved it. Would seat projectiles deeper into cases with constant rechambering. Traded on the spot for glock42. Too big for my pockets. Carried 4oclock.

Glock 42. Too big for my pockets. Easiest to shoot. Wife's primary.

Glock 43. Favorite cc gun. Cant pocket carry in my pants. Traded my shield for it on the spot after side by side test fire. Upgraded with Trijicon HDIs.

Shield. Loved it...not as much as my 43. Needed apex defense kit. Up graded with Warren sights.

The two glocks, i just liked the thinner grips on compared to the guns i trafed them for. happy with both trades.

Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:34 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Ok I got a Ruger LCP Custom. I did consider a few other options. The Glock 42 looked nice but it was a little too big for me to pocket carry. A friend showed me a Ruger .380 which was larger. Forgot the model but it was too large for my needs as the size was nearly that of some sub compact 9 mm. The S&W bodyguard's trigger was horrible or at least I thought so. I didn't want a UL .38 though that's always been on my mind. One of those concealed hammer jobs. But not this time. Years ago I fired the original Ruger LCP.

I liked it but never got one as had the AMT .380 but it was always a drag on my pants. Good gun which has been on many adventures.

So moving right along. New Ruger LCP Custom.

I liked that it came with a pocket holster.

This seems to make it grip the inside of my pocket so only the pistol comes out though could be mistaken.

Prints well in my pocket. So UL I hardly know it's there.

Dang small in the hand.

I like that it's possible to see if there is a round in the chamber as it doesn't lock open.

The trigger on the custom both looks and feels different than the standard LCP. It felt better than I remember when shooting the standard LCP but that was some time ago.

The sights are also different. I don't really remember any sights on the standard LCP. Pros and cons to that though oddly the rear sight came from the factory adjusted a bit off to the left. I haven't gotten to taking it to the range but will do so ASAP. I think it's adjustable if off though honestly this isn't a target gun. In any case I liked the sights. The front post is glow in the dark however being a pocket pistol not sure if it would actually be illuminated aka not the radioactive type.

I think the stainless recoil rod is also something new for the LCP Custom. I made sure the gun was unloaded for this photo and avoided pointing it at me.

6 plus one. I ordered an extended mag that has 7 rounds for extra grip and time when it won't be in my pocket. Or extra rounds on my person though not sure how many pocket pistols are ever actually reloaded during a self defense scenario.

Purchased a box of this ammo, Hornady Critical Defense. I know nothing about it. Packed Winchester Sliver Tips and Glasers for years and have reloading stuff for .380.

Came with this funky red thing (maybe for placement to show the gun is clear) and mag butt plate for extra snag resistance or rather that's my guess.

Size comparison to Beretta Bob cats in .22 and .25. Ok I couldn't make up my mind so purchased both years ago. LOL! The Bob cats handles are thicker and feel really nice in the hand. Never was comfortable concealed carrying a .22 or .25 so rarely take um but honestly like them

Much smaller than this compact Glock 26 but goes without saying the Glock is much more gun.

Nearly identical in size to the AMT .380 however the stainless AMT is a bit thicker and much heavier. The trigger is a bear but then again there are pros and cons to that IMHO for a pocket pistol.

Mags are almost identical is size as well.

EDC.

Compared to 64 gig iPhone SE in Otter Box defender case. I also have a Commuter case but for now going with this as it was on sale and the clip freed up a pocket for the gun. Removed the integral screen cover then used the stick on one which came with the defender. Too much clearish plastic was killing the display. Both are kinda small which is nice. More room for my knife!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:20 pm 

The M380 from Taurus shoots 380 ammo with or without moonclips it's not a .38 special. That's why I like it. Since the ammo is shorter the cylinder is shorter and makes it easier to conceal. But I just gotta have a cockable hammer on a revolver so I am out of luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:54 pm 

I sold my g42 and went back to LCP. Got 2 lcp customs. They shoot much better than the original lcp. The custom isn't the best for Pocket carry. The sights snag, but it's a lot more pocket friendly than the Glock. Doesn't shoot as nice though.
The recoil is really much easier to tame with the new lcp.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:14 pm 

A good comfortable shoulder holster has made all the difference for me. Keeps my pants form falling down. I can backpack with it. Hunt with it. Work with it. Likely a either of you pistols would fit in the same holster and still draw faster than from your pocket. Also very concealable under a vest or jacket. I really didn't expect to like my should holster this much, but find myself wearing it all over the place.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:24 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I have a S&W bodyguard and do not like it's shootability.

I think the problem is my large hands. I could probably hide two of them under my hand. If you have giant mitts as well, I suggest you avoid that one.

I went with the S&W Airweight Ladysmith instead and am happy for it.