Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Reviews of books, manuals or other texts.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by raistlin » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:21 pm

JackBauer wrote:Please keep the recommendations coming.

Just re-read Daemon and Freedom by Suarez, two of the books that prompted this thread.
really great books.
Just finished these, thanks to the recommendations of this thread. Very good books.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

Davo

Post by Davo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:08 pm

So, I made a spreadsheet with all of the recommendations here.

As I read each, I will place it into one of two categories:

A. Apocalyptic: Living through the chaos of the big change event and/or the first few years afterward. (ex: One Second After)

B. Post-Apocalyptic: 5+ years after the big change event, how society has adapted. (ex: A Canticle for Leibowitz)

Personally, I'm more interested in A. If anyone has input as to which novels fall into which categories, your feedback is much appreciated. I've probably only read 10-15% of these so far.

The list:

Code: Select all

Adams (editor)	John Joseph	Wastelands
Ahern	Jerry	Survivalist Series
Armstrong	Jennifer	Fire-Us Trilogy
Atwood	Margaret	Oryx and Crake
Atwood	Margaret	Year of the Flood
Axler	James	Aurora (Earthblood series)
Axler	James	Deep Trek (Earthblood series)
Axler	James	Earthblood (Earthblood series)
Bacigalupi	Paolo	Windup Girl, The
Barnes	John	Daybreak Zero
Barnes	John	Directive 51
Barnes	John	Last President, The
Baxter	Stephen	Flood
Bear	Greg	Blood Music
Briggs	Raymond	When the Wind Blows
Brin	David	Postman, The
Brooks	Max	World War Z
Budrys	Algis	Some Will Not Die
Caine	Rachel	Ill Wind (Weather Warden series)
Carlson	Jeff	Plague Year
Christopher	John	Tripods, The (series)
Cleek	Caleb	Infected: The Fall
Cole	Nick	Old Man and the Wasteland
Cooper	Edmund	Transit
Crace	Jim	Pest House, The
Cronin	Justin	Passage, The
Cronin	Justin	Twelve, The
Dickson	Gorden	Wolf and Iron
Ellison	Harlan	Boy and His Dog, A
Forstchen	William	Day of Wrath
Forstchen	William	One Second After
Frank	Pat	Alas Babylon
Grant	Mira	Blackout (Newsflesh series)
Grant	Mira	Deadline (Newsflesh series)
Grant	Mira	Feed (Newsflesh series)
Heinlein	Robert A.	Farnham's Freehold
Heinlein	Robert A.	Tunnel in the Sky
Heller	Peter	Dog Star
Herbert	Frank	Hellstorm's Hive
Hertling	William	AI Apocalypse
Hertling	William	Avogadro Corporation
Howey	Hugh	Wool series
Hubbard	L. Ron	Final Blackout
Ing	Dean	Pulling Through
Ing	Dean	Rackham Files
Ing	Dean	Single Combat (Quantrill series)
Ing	Dean	System Shock (Quantrill series)
Ing	Dean	Wild Country (Quantrill series)
Jefferies	Richard	After London
King	Stephen	Cell
King	Stephen	Dark Tower
King	Stephen	Mist, The
King	Stephen	Stand, The
Konkoly	Steven	Jakarta Pandemic, The
Leiber	Fritz	Wanderer, The
London	Jack	Scarlet Plague, The
Marsden	John	Tomorrow, when the War Began
Matehson	Richard	I am Legend
Mather	Matthew	Cyberstorm
McCammon	Robert	Swan's Song
McCarthy	Cormac	Road, The
McIntosh	Will	Soft Apocalypse
McPhee	James	Blood Quest (Survival 2000 series)
McPhee	James	Frozen Fire (Survival 2000 series)
McPhee	James	Renegade War (Survival 2000 series)
Merle	Robert	Malevil
Milkowitz	Gloria	After the Bomb
Milkowitz	Gloria	After the Bomb: Week One
Miller	Walter M.	Canticle for Liebowitz, A
Nelson	O. T. 	The Girl who Owned a City
Niven	Larry	Legacy of Heorot
O'Brien	Robert	Z for Zachariah
Pfeffer	Susan Beth	Life as We Knew It
Pfeffer	Susan Beth	The Dead and the Gone
Pfeffer	Susan Beth	The Shade of the Moon
Pfeffer	Susan Beth	This World We Live In
Pournell & Niven	Jerry & Larry	Lucifer's Hammer
Rawles	James Wesley	Survivors (series)
Ringo	Jon	Last Centurion, The
Rodger	David	Dog Eat Dog
Shute	Nevil	On the Beach
Sisavath	Sam	Purge of Babylon series
Stewart	George R.	Earth Abides
Stirling	S. M.	Dies the Fire (Change series)
Stirling	S. M.	Protector's War, The (Change series)
Strieber	Whitley	Nature's End
Suarez	Daniel	Daemon
Suarez	Daniel	Freedom
Swindells	Robert	Brother in the Land
Theroux	Marcel	Far North
Tufo	Mark	Zombie Fallout series
Varley	John	Slow Apocalypse
Wescott	Shelbi	Virulent - The Release
Wren	M. K.	Gift upon the Shore, A
Wyndham	John	Day of the Triffids
Wyndham	John	Night of the Triffids
Yancy	Rick	5th Wave, The
Zelazny	Roger	Damnation Alley
Last edited by Davo on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:37 pm

Davo wrote:A. Apocalyptic: Living through the chaos of the big change event and/or the first few years afterward. (ex: One Second After)

B. Post-Apocalyptic: 5+ years after the big change event, how society has adapted. (ex: A Canticle for Leibowitz)

Personally, I'm more interested in A. If anyone has input as to which novels fall into which categories, your feedback is much appreciated. I've probably only read 10-15% of these so far.

The list:

Code: Select all

A I think? (I can't remember exactly how many years...) - Brin	David	Postman, The    
A - Brooks	Max	World War Z
B - Christopher	John	Tripods, The (series)
A - Forstchen	William	One Second After
B, all 3 of them but seriously give 'em a go!!!
Grant	Mira	Blackout (Newsflesh series)
Grant	Mira	Deadline (Newsflesh series)
Grant	Mira	Feed (Newsflesh series)
A  (Technically mostly B, but A in spirit...) Heinlein	Robert A.	Farnham's Freehold
A Heinlein	Robert A.	Tunnel in the Sky
B (if I recall correctly, it's been a long time) Hubbard	L. Ron	Final Blackout
A - King	Stephen	Stand, The
A - Matehson	Richard	I am Legend
A -Milkowitz	Gloria	After the Bomb
A - Milkowitz	Gloria	After the Bomb: Week One
B - Miller	Walter M.	Canticle for Liebowitz, A
A - Nelson	O. T. 	The Girl who Owned a City
A - Niven	Larry	Legacy of Heorot
A - O'Brien	Robert	Z for Zachariah
A - Pournell & Niven	Jerry & Larry	Lucifer's Hammer
A - Shute	Nevil	On the Beach
A - Stirling	S. M.	Dies the Fire (Change series)
(Kinda B, but within 5 years...) Stirling	S. M.	Protector's War, The (Change series)
I thought of some more!

Barbara Hambly - the Darwath Trilogy (Time of the Dark, Walls of Air, Armies of Daylight) followed by The Mother of Winter (when your apocalypse has another apocalypse!)
It's fantasy - A couple of the main characters actually end up magically in another universe. Which is in the middle of having an apocalypse of sorts. (So A, brief offscreen B, then A again...)

Vernor Vinge - The Peace War (B sort of) and Marooned in Realtime (A, sort of)

Sharon Lee & Steve Miller - Crystal Soldier and Crystal Dragon. (space opera sci fi - When your enemy is actually destroying the universe....)

Connie Willis - Doomsday Book - spoilers! uses time travel to overlay stories of the black plague and a future pandemic flu, not exactly an apocalypse but the 14th century folks don't know that, and the future can't get its time traveller back because of the pandemic...
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:10 am

Great list!

Here's another to add to the list. Peter Cline's Ex-Heroes series. It's zombie apocalypse with super heroes. Definitely fun for those that think that would sound interesting.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

Davo

Post by Davo » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:00 am

Just saving this for a trip to the bookstore. Thanks for the categorization, duo!
Image Image

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by raistlin » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:10 pm

Last week I read Blake Crouch's Wayward Pines trilogy. Interesting PAW twist in the series. Fox is apparently coming out with some kind of TV series about it in May. The book trilogy was entertaining enough that I think it would be worth reading first.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:41 pm

Being from the NW, having lived in Eugene OR, and being a sword and archery enthusiast. I finally decided to pick up the Emberverse books and give them a try. I just finished Dies the Fire, and just started Protector's War.

Over all not too bad, but if you aren't into SCA (Society of Creative Anachronisms) or Ren faire or fantasy fiction type stuff you likely would not like these nearly as much. Even with my liking of that kind of thing, I sort of felt the author pushing the SCA Ren faire people would come out on top idea a bit over much. There are plenty of folks who would come up with ideas to survive without guns and explosives. I also noticed a lot of errors in his info. Like when ever someone shot a bow he described the string slapping the arm guard. That is a sign of bad form, someone with good archery form doesn't even need an arm guard. Yet the author describes this for highly experienced archers. In other words the author doesn't actually know enough to know that the string hitting the arm guard is not desired. For him it is the equivalent of the not real sounds of a sword or gun in Hollywood movies, a way to make the bow sound cool but shouldn't be there.

I still found the book (Dies the fire) entertaining, and even moderately educational on some things. And if you can overlook the romanticized return to medieval tech, the Wiccian clan, and some errors in how things operate it is a fun read. He does get a bit wordy explaining things, and it does hop around a bit with the story following different groups. Which can make it a bit difficult to follow at times. Especially since he skips time without explaining the time change very well.

Over all though I am enjoying the series.

The 2nd book Proctor's War starts out in England 8 years after the "Change", which sort of annoyed me, and it is a long chapter introducing completely new characters that I don't see becoming all that relevant to the main story in OR Willamette valley. Other than it is a group of people who knew and served in the SAS with one of the characters from Dies the Fire. But I will reserve judgement for later. If the book is Ok I will move on to the rest of the series. If nothing else it is a glimpse into long term PAW.

And that is sort of my take on the series. Even if an EMP fried all electronics, we would have firearms for quite awhile. But eventually firearms would start to fail and ammo would be hard to find. This series sort of speeds up the process to cut firearms out right away. So it kind of gives an idea of what people maybe a generation or two into PAW might be dealing with when firearms are no longer the go to weapons, but bows and swords become the more reliable forms of weaponry.

As long as one doesn't take the books too serious it is a fun read.
Last edited by ineffableone on Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:48 pm

In the Emberverse series after the first three books it really delves into Wiccan/SCA fantasyland and doesn't really help with the post-apoc thing.
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

Davo

Post by Davo » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:33 pm

raistlin wrote:Last week I read Blake Crouch's Wayward Pines trilogy.
raistlin, is this series set during or after the whatever-apocalypse?

I just started both Directive 51 (Daybreak Series) (reading to myself), which starts at the beginning of the big change, so Category A, and Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam Series) (reading to Mrs.Davo), which starts out well after the big change, so Category B for that. Enjoying both so far.
Image Image

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:11 pm

Not really post-apocalyptic, but great book set in a dystopian future: http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Player-One- ... bk_title_0

Awesome read!
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by raistlin » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:42 pm

Davo wrote:
raistlin wrote:Last week I read Blake Crouch's Wayward Pines trilogy.
raistlin, is this series set during or after the whatever-apocalypse?
Long after, with some flashbacks to present day as you get into the trilogy.

It's more of a thriller in a Stephen King style than a depiction of how to survive.

Happy Go Lucky
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, I'll add more as they come to me.....

Post by Happy Go Lucky » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:46 pm

Just finished "One Second After" by William Forstchen.

It's on Davo's list, and also has it's own topic section- although I decided to post here, rather than resurrect the old topic.

The story takes place in one small town, and pretty much all information is only provided from that town, following a nationwide EMP attack.

I'm not sure if such an attack would actually be as completely devastating as portrayed, but the book does an excellent job of demonstrating just how fragile our economic system is.

I have read multiple estimates that the US has essentially a 10 day supply of food readily available- meaning in grocery stores, local warehouse/distributors, and on the road at any one time. The impact of food shortages in the story is both very graphic and frightening - particularly how quickly the shortage become acute. The author does a great job of illustrating just how interdependent our production/supply chain is, and how this type of widespread impact would be devastating.

The delay in government response is also enlightening-- especially given that due to the nationwide impact, any help is very limited and can only be focused on small areas. If you can imagine Katrina, but no one was available to rush in and help from unaffected areas.

Overall quality of the writing is not great- I certainly liked Alas Babylon more, and the author of One Second After acknowledges that book as an inspiration.
Lastly, it is not one of those "procedural" type novels with numbingly (at least to me) detailed descriptions of fire arms, caching procedures, etc. The book focusses on "real people" experiencing a very traumatic event.

But if you want to motivate someone to begin considering preparation for disaster, this book is great. Again, the speed (in days) with which inconveniences become deadly impacts is very well done. You'll certainly be encouraged to recount your available cans and other stored food stocks.

Hey -- I just noticed I have passed into triple digits on my postings!? I never would have figured......
Last edited by Happy Go Lucky on Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.
Barry Goldwater

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:44 pm

91Eunozs wrote:Not really post-apocalyptic, but great book set in a dystopian future: http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Player-One- ... bk_title_0

Awesome read!
Yes, great dystopian future read. Highly recommended!
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

Davo

Post by Davo » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:01 pm

One Second After is a good book, for sure. I just finished Directive 51, which is like a cross between OSA and Survivors by JW Rawles... which seems to be missing from the list, oddly.
Image Image

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:44 pm

Great recent novel about some cool improvisation and survival on another planet.

The Martian by Andy Weir.
http://www.amazon.com/Martian-Novel-And ... he+martian

The whole potato scenario is worth the price of the book imho
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by raistlin » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:34 pm

JackBauer wrote:Great recent novel about some cool improvisation and survival on another planet.

That's a great book. Mark (the main character) is definitely an ultimate survivalist :)

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:59 pm

Don't know if these have been mentioned yet:

The Remaining Series (5 books as of now) by D.J. Molles
-I highly recommend these books. Fun with good plot line, good writing, good characters. Very entertaining. One of my favorites for "make believe" time. This is a zombie book.

The Survivalist Series (6 books I think) by Dr. Arthur Bradley
-Kind of a modern apocalypse western. Entertaining but not too "real" when it comes to the plot. Again, it's a western style with a Marshall who rivals Clint Eastwood. Pandemic with mild zombies.

Strengthen What Remains Series (2 books so far) by Kyle Pratt
-Not too Sci Fi, but deals with terror attacks and a possible civil war after a collapse. Pretty good plot, fast read even though the writing can get choppy, half decent characters. Well worth the read, but not the best thing I've ever read.

Going Home Series (don't care how many books) by A. (for Angery) American.
-Horrible and horrendous. Barely got through the first book about a fat/overweight prepper who thinks he's superman and would rather talk about his gear by name and model number than actually have a plot. The characters are all the same... either super good or super evil. You can read a lot of the author's biase as I feel this is just a list of his ntoes about himself. If you want to read it, just read a prepping catalogue and "how to" on how to make meals on the road. That's all that really happens in this book.

Founders/Survivors/Patriots, etc by Wesley Rawles
-Meh, I got through 2 of the books. Both were barely entertaining and they also were chalk full of laundry lists of gear and "how to" guides on things that the author values. Basically, if you aren't a white religious prepper, then you are an evil minority thug who is a marauder. Zero characterizations and awful dialogue. But hey, it's better than "sisterhood of the traveling pants".
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Happy Go Lucky
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, I'll add more as they come to me.....

Post by Happy Go Lucky » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:59 pm

"Going Home Series (don't care how many books) by A. (for Angery) American.
-Horrible and horrendous. Barely got through the first book about a fat/overweight prepper who thinks he's superman and would rather talk about his gear by name and model number than actually have a plot. The characters are all the same... either super good or super evil. You can read a lot of the author's biase as I feel this is just a list of his ntoes about himself. If you want to read it, just read a prepping catalogue and "how to" on how to make meals on the road. That's all that really happens in this book."

He could have called himself An. American (for angry) and at least got it grammatically correct.
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.
Barry Goldwater

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:27 pm

Happy Go Lucky wrote:"Going Home Series (don't care how many books) by A. (for Angery) American.
-Horrible and horrendous. Barely got through the first book about a fat/overweight prepper who thinks he's superman and would rather talk about his gear by name and model number than actually have a plot. The characters are all the same... either super good or super evil. You can read a lot of the author's biase as I feel this is just a list of his ntoes about himself. If you want to read it, just read a prepping catalogue and "how to" on how to make meals on the road. That's all that really happens in this book."

He could have called himself An. American (for angry) and at least got it grammatically correct.
He even spells "angry" wrong. Angery is cooler, I guess
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:11 pm

Neal Stephenson ranks as one of my favorite sci-fi authors. Consistently groundbreaking, awesome stuff.

He's got a apocalyptic style novel coming out May 19th called Seveneves

excerpt from Amazon "a grand story of annihilation and survival spanning five thousand years."

http://www.amazon.com/Seveneves-Novel-N ... =Seveneves

Amazon have a few reader reviews, with only minor spoilers. The first one on the page, Peter J Ward's review is worth a peak.
I CANT WAIT!

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by raistlin » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:20 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Happy Go Lucky wrote:"Going Home Series (don't care how many books) by A. (for Angery) American.

He even spells "angry" wrong. Angery is cooler, I guess
Or maybe the author doesn't realize that the slang spelling has meaning which belittles his pseudonym. From the Urban Dictionary:

"A sarcastic, condescending, or taunting use of the word angry used on someone who is angry over something trivial or insignificant. Typically used in jest in some sort of explosive statement."

So basically, he named himself a trivial or insignificant author :lol:

Davo

Post by Davo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:35 pm

Almost halfway through "The Passage" and really enjoying it.

It's more a story of the people than of the preps and adaptations (part of the story is during the event, part is about 100 years later), but it has been quite a page-turner so far.
Image Image

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Mon May 18, 2015 7:48 am

Just a reminder that Neal Stephenson's Seveneves releases tomorrow!

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:05 pm

raistlin wrote:
JackBauer wrote:Great recent novel about some cool improvisation and survival on another planet.

That's a great book. Mark (the main character) is definitely an ultimate survivalist :)
Just saw the trailer for the movie based on the book. Looks like it might stick true to the story but you never know with Hollywood.

Was such a great read, I'm rereading it again..

Return to “Books”