Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Reviews of books, manuals or other texts.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

DanielHumphreys

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by DanielHumphreys » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:37 pm

JackBauer wrote:Just Finish reading M. R. Carey's The Girl with All the Gifts
http://www.amazon.com/Girl-All-Gifts-M- ... +the+gifts

Don't be put off by the cover or the synopsis, it's an exciting read

Fairly unique main plot, definitely worth the price.. and it's got some cool neuroscience stuff.
It was good but I thought the ending was disappointing.
P-A-Z thriller - A Place Outside The Wild

Urban fantasy - Fade

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:36 am

The Passage by Justin Cronin is fantastic, first book of a trilogy. I won't ruin the story but it's interesting in that Cronin addresses both the immediate and long-term effects of an apocalyptic event while also keeping one hell of a story going. Reminds me somewhat of The Stand by Stephen King.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:08 pm

Shiloh wrote:The Passage by Justin Cronin is fantastic, first book of a trilogy. I won't ruin the story but it's interesting in that Cronin addresses both the immediate and long-term effects of an apocalyptic event while also keeping one hell of a story going. Reminds me somewhat of The Stand by Stephen King.
Thanks for sharing this. I just ordered Book 1 for Kindle!
Seems like the first book is either a love or hate for reviewers on Amazon and GoodReads. Sounds like I'll love it, plus books 2 and 3 look great too.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

hondo

Post by hondo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:18 pm

Franklin Horton: The Borrowed World,Ashes of the Unspeakable,Legion of Despair,Locker Nine

In a night of devastating terror, ISIS operatives have unleashed a coordinated attack on America’s infrastructure. Life as we know it in America grinds to a halt as the electrical grid collapses, communication networks are damaged, critical bridges and dams are destroyed, and major fuel refineries go up in massive fiery clouds. When the government responds by immediately halting fuel sales to the public, Jim Powell finds himself in a terrifying predicament – trapped five hundred miles from home with a group of coworkers.

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:33 pm

JackBauer wrote:
Shiloh wrote:The Passage by Justin Cronin is fantastic, first book of a trilogy. I won't ruin the story but it's interesting in that Cronin addresses both the immediate and long-term effects of an apocalyptic event while also keeping one hell of a story going. Reminds me somewhat of The Stand by Stephen King.
Seems like the first book is either a love or hate for reviewers on Amazon and GoodReads. Sounds like I'll love it, plus books 2 and 3 look great too.
I read the reviews too and was a bit skeptical, but I tore through the whole thing in about a week.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:39 pm

Shiloh wrote:
JackBauer wrote:

I read the reviews too and was a bit skeptical, but I tore through the whole thing in about a week.
Finished it, great book but stretches things a bit in my opinion. Gonna hold off on reading book two to finish something else that came up:

Just picked up Hell Divers by Nick Smith
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:34 pm

Langenator wrote:I ran a search and didn't find it. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Adrian's Undead Diary, at least in this thread.
Oh yeah!

Awesome, awesome read up until the very end where it seemed a bit rushed...almost like he was trying to just wrap it up instead of finishing the tale.

One of my favorite (never finished :vmad: ) stories is from AUD's fan fiction: The Tale of Leroy Miles.

Part of it was here on ZS a long time ago...writing was on par w/MJOTZY and The Unwelcome Sign...damn near as good as The Dead at Destitute Mountain...but never finished after the last cliff hanger entry. :cry:
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Thund888
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am Legend

Post by Thund888 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:01 am

been looking for something on the topic and I think I'll pick up The Passage by Justin Cronin from what you say here. hope will be back with a review soon

Thund888
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am Legend

Post by Thund888 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:07 am

Sorry, couldn't finish the novel. Guess vampires is just not my thing. Somehow I think zombies would have made the book much more engaging

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Fri May 26, 2017 10:00 am

A few recently published recommendations.

The Waking Gods, Book 2 of the Themis files by Sylvain Neuvel
The first book, Sleeping Giants doesn't have much regarding TEOTWAWKI or apocalypse, but the second book..like umm, some badass shit happens on a wide scale.

The Boy on the Bridge , I haven't read this yet but if it's same caliber as The Girl With All the Gifts (also now a fantastic movie!) we're in for a treat.
It's kinda prequel, but can be read standalone according to numerous sources.

grennels

Post by grennels » Sun May 28, 2017 1:18 pm

Read "The Passage Trilogy". Liked it.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Tue May 30, 2017 3:44 pm

Verner Vinge - "Marooned in Realtime". It's not quite a PAW, but a post singularity world. Something happened with the increasing speed of technology development, and the population of Earth disappeared. A planet wide Mary Celeste. Except, for a few hundred survivors who were in stasis bubbles when it happened. Not quite a hard science sci-fi, but you need a basic understanding of physics to follow it.

Harlan Ellison - Generally weird writer, and a bit of a rockstar: "I have no mouth, and I must scream" and "A dog and his boy" come to mind for PAW SF. Do not read him if you're depressed.

Harry Harrison:"War With the Robots". Harrison has a pronounced anti-authoritarian streak that comes out, tongue in cheek, in his "Stainless Steel Rat" and "Bill the Galactic Hero" novels. Think Dilbert meets Ender's Game. Required hammock reading.

EDIT: While not a PAW novel, John Sanford and Ctien's "Saturn Run" belongs on the hard science sci-fi reading list.

Happy Go Lucky
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, I'll add more as they come to me.....

Post by Happy Go Lucky » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:01 pm

I just finished The Passage- recently cited by many here.
You can now get the three volumes in one- which makes a pretty weighty tome!

It reminded me of Stephen King's The Stand due to a substantial amount of mystical or religious overtones.
Some characters are doing things or able to do things for reasons that are never explained, but appear to demonstrate intervention from a higher power.

The characters are interesting and the social formations described are thoughtful.
The book also does an excellent presentation of the passage of time and loss of historical continuity a worldwide disaster would bring about.
Characters frequently come across written references or objects, familiar to the reader, but the characters living in the future can't conceive of the purpose or picture what is being described.

I also liked the way the book frequently employs journals - being read by others - to advance plot, etc.

Slight spoiler- The overall book is optimistic (despite the dire condition humanity finds itself) because it makes clear early on that humans in the far future are reading the previously mentioned journals; so we must survive as a species.
But the ending is rather abrupt - particularly after such a long novel. I kind of got the feeling even the author was getting tired of it.
Recommended.
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.
Barry Goldwater

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:45 pm

It's been mentioned before but A Canticle for Liebowitz is awesome. It's hundreds of years after the fall of civilization and those who seek knowledge of the ancients try their best to preserve and understand the scraps left over. Even while living in a world of violence and ignorance it's quite funny in a dark humor sense. An example- one of the most educated monks of the order is trying to understand the legend of Fallout. What he believes was a huge monster that even the ancients feared. He literally believes it was a dragon like being. Most of their knowledge comes from the notes of an accountant (liebowitz) who lived before the nuclear apocalypse. He was just a regular guy but whole orders of monks sit and patiently try to decode what his lunch recipes mean.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

grennels

Post by grennels » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:47 pm

The Twizzler wrote:It's been mentioned before but A Canticle for Liebowitz is awesome. It's hundreds of years after the fall of civilization and those who seek knowledge of the ancients try their best to preserve and understand the scraps left over. Even while living in a world of violence and ignorance it's quite funny in a dark humor sense. An example- one of the most educated monks of the order is trying to understand the legend of Fallout. What he believes was a huge monster that even the ancients feared. He literally believes it was a dragon like being. Most of their knowledge comes from the notes of an accountant (liebowitz) who lived before the nuclear apocalypse. He was just a regular guy but whole orders of monks sit and patiently try to decode what his lunch recipes mean.

Canticle is excellent. As I recall, it recounts a whole series of rises and falls.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:24 pm

I visited some 2d hand stores and other places over the weekend trying to find a cheap 5-gallon can for another poster to this site but was unlucky in this regard. I did find a box of .410 slugs for $5 and a paperback copy of A Canticle for Liebowitz.

As I have already read and own a copy, I'll send it free to the first person that PM's me with an address to send it.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Books”