Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Reviews of books, manuals or other texts.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 558
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:05 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)
Location: North Jersey
Contact:

Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by JackBauer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:57 am

My two favorite recent sci-fi based apocalypse speculative fiction are (actually 4 as each had a very good/excellent sequel):

Daniel Suarez's
Daemonand sequel
Freedom Plots of both books focus on what happens to society when IT's system get compromised globally by a MMO/game designer. Great stuff, solid real world basis foundation. I envy anyone who's picking up for the first time..

John Barnes'
Directive 51
Daybreak Zero Plots focus on what happens when a internet 'viral' collective coordinate a nanobot infection of the world infrastructure. Excellent stuff.

I used these novels premises to evaluate my disaster contigency planning.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

PlugUgly
* *
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:16 am
Location: socal

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by PlugUgly » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:46 pm

Just finished directive 51 last night and immediatly jumped into daybreak zero. These books are really incredibly written by an author who actually has real insight into the subject. It was a page turner for sure. I'm excited to see what happens next, at every sentence! Characters feel real, situations are truely plausible for a sci-fi based only a decade in the future. Easily just earned a spot in my top ten, possibly top five! Cannot reccomend it enough. And can't wait for the next book!

User avatar
Projo
* *
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:44 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am Legend
Location: Hawaii

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by Projo » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:04 pm

I take this everytime I deploy.
Image

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 7911
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by TacAir » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:02 am

Old school

Day of Triffids
Image

The follow up is "The Night of the Triffids"

Really old post-apocalyptic fiction (POF)
The 1885 novel After London by Richard Jefferies is of the type that could be best described as genuine "post-apocalyptic fiction"; after some sudden and unspecified catastrophe has depopulated England, the countryside reverts to nature, and the few survivors to a quasi-medieval way of life. The first chapters consist solely of a description of nature reclaiming England: fields becoming overrun by forest, domesticated animals running wild, roads and towns becoming overgrown, London reverting to lake and poisonous swampland. The rest of the story is a straightforward adventure/quest set many years later in the wild landscape and society; but the opening chapters set an example for many later science fiction stories.


The Scarlet Plague by Jack London, published in 1912, is set in San Francisco in the year 2072, 60 years after a plague has largely depopulated the planet.

Lucifer's Hammer by Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven (1977) is now a cult classic.
Kind of related - Fallen Angels by the same pair, very fan oriented.

Lots of good books, go have some fun.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

User avatar
doc66
* * * * *
Posts: 5669
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Back home in Tennessee
Contact:

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by doc66 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:18 am

"Alas Babylon" Pat Frank (Harry Hart Frank)

"Some Will Not Die" Algis Budrys
Image
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Honeypot
* *
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:38 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Serenity
Location: USA, Midwest (edge of the Great Plains!)

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by Honeypot » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:24 am

Cockroach, I've never heard of those - interesting.
Please share your person top "older" SF apoc novels, so folks can get a better idea whether your tastes coincide with our own tastes. :)

I'm always eager to read new SF apoc stuff, but there's also a lot of crud out there.

To add to the list...
  • Yeah, "Lucifer's Hammer" is the #1 "procedural" novel of all time, IMO.
  • Anything by Heinlein, apoc or otherwise, should be on every SF fan's list.
  • Ditto (though note as intensely) for anything by John Wyndham. :)
  • I recently read the first book in the "Hunger Games" trilogy (at the recommendation of #1 daughter), and very much enjoyed it. It's a one day/sitting type book. :)
  • If you'd like to read an "interesting solution" to Margaret Atwood's thoroughly depressing "The Handmaid's Tale", check out Sheri Tepper's superb "Gate To Women's Country". It starts out almost as depressing, then there's "the twist". :) Women and Geeky men will particularly enjoy it. ;)
Pro : cake & pie, Kaywinnet Lee Frye's response to the Apocalypse
Anti: rage trolls, nanny squad, oaf & bigot squad, PAW boys, spammersImage

User avatar
Logans Run
* * *
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: San Jose California

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by Logans Run » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:38 am

Cockroach wrote:My two favorite recent sci-fi based apocalypse speculative fiction are (actually 4 as each had a very good/excellent sequel):

Daniel Suarez's
Daemonand sequel
Freedom Plots of both books focus on what happens to society when IT's system get compromised globally by a MMO/game designer. Great stuff, solid real world basis foundation. I envy anyone who's picking up for the first time..

John Barnes'
Directive 51
Daybreak Zero Plots focus on what happens when a internet 'viral' collective coordinate a nanobot infection of the world infrastructure. Excellent stuff.

I used these novels premises to evaluate my disaster contigency planning.
I just put this on my to do list.
Membership paid on May 3rd.
Image
I've fought tougher men, but I really can't remember when.
.
California Bay Area Chapter ZSC:015
.
Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

User avatar
Rumsfeld
*
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by Rumsfeld » Thu May 03, 2012 11:55 am

I second The War of The Worlds. H.G. Wells had his stuff together (except for enjoying Stalin, eugenics, etc.).

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 558
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:05 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)
Location: North Jersey
Contact:

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by JackBauer » Thu May 03, 2012 3:44 pm

Honeypot wrote:Cockroach, I've never heard of those - interesting.
Please share your person top "older" SF apoc novels, so folks can get a better idea whether your tastes coincide with our own tastes. :)

I'm always eager to read new SF apoc stuff, but there's also a lot of crud out there.

To add to the list...
  • Yeah, "Lucifer's Hammer" is the #1 "procedural" novel of all time, IMO.
  • Anything by Heinlein, apoc or otherwise, should be on every SF fan's list.
  • Ditto (though note as intensely) for anything by John Wyndham. :)
  • I recently read the first book in the "Hunger Games" trilogy (at the recommendation of #1 daughter), and very much enjoyed it. It's a one day/sitting type book. :)
  • If you'd like to read an "interesting solution" to Margaret Atwood's thoroughly depressing "The Handmaid's Tale", check out Sheri Tepper's superb "Gate To Women's Country". It starts out almost as depressing, then there's "the twist". :) Women and Geeky men will particularly enjoy it. ;)
Thanks Honeypot, The stuff in the OP is definitely top notch stuff, no crud there.

Older apoc I enjoyed reading

The Stand by Stephen King
Lucifer's hammer Like you mention is great..Niven was my favorite for quite a while..Alas Ringworld series kinda went downhill

A new Sci Fi I just finished reading Dog Eat Dog by david Rodger.. excellent concepts..Combines Zombie PAW plus a real special sci fi concept I havent seen in survival fiction yet. MUST READ!
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

ElevenBravo
* *
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:10 pm

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by ElevenBravo » Sun May 06, 2012 2:52 pm

Image

Reading this one now, had to order it from the UK, good read.

Andrew
"Smart people have something to say, idiots have to say something"
My Youtube Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/dieselwarriordotcom

User avatar
Logans Run
* * *
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:42 pm
Location: San Jose California

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by Logans Run » Sun May 06, 2012 3:02 pm

ElevenBravo wrote:Image

Reading this one now, had to order it from the UK, good read.

Andrew
Is that an Apocalyptic novel for kids?
(I am in no way saying that is a bad thing)
Membership paid on May 3rd.
Image
I've fought tougher men, but I really can't remember when.
.
California Bay Area Chapter ZSC:015
.
Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

User avatar
Confucius
* * * * *
Posts: 3370
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: The last, best place

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by Confucius » Sun May 06, 2012 3:05 pm

I've been pimping Hugh Howey's "Wool" series for a while now, got to do it again. It's set in a dystopian silo (imagine the vaults from Fallout, a few thousand people in it) after a global apocalypse.

He's simply one of the best authors I've come across in a long time, (he's written a lot of other stuff too, all fantastic) and he spits them out fast (#6 was just released a few weeks ago)

http://www.amazon.com/Wool-Omnibus-Edit ... B0071XO8RA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Confucius on Tue May 15, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2679
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 2:54 am
Location: Huntington, West Virginia

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by Rev » Sun May 06, 2012 3:07 pm

Confucius wrote:I've been pimping Hugh Howey's "Wool" series for a while now, got to do it again.
I second this recommendation.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

ElevenBravo
* *
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:10 pm

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by ElevenBravo » Sun May 06, 2012 3:46 pm

Logans Run wrote:Is that an Apocalyptic novel for kids?
(I am in no way saying that is a bad thing)
Yes, it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brother_in_the_Land" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My grade 9 English teacher read this aloud in class to us and I always remembered it.
I read this story for an english assignment but I liked this book so much I read it again and again.
From:
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Land-Robe ... 0823405567" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got my copy on ebay

Andrew
"Smart people have something to say, idiots have to say something"
My Youtube Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/dieselwarriordotcom

JFlagg
* * *
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:30 pm
Location: South County, St. Louis, MO

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by JFlagg » Sun May 06, 2012 9:55 pm

"The Last Centurion" by Jon Ringo was an excellent read. I've loved everything from Jon Ringo so far...
And the Vampire Earth series by E.E. Knight i think would fall into the PAW genre. The series starts with "Way of the Wolf" and I think is currently up to #8 or 9.
"Watermelons, because they taste so much better than glass bottles when you shoot them with a machine gun"

User avatar
Hanuman110
* * * *
Posts: 838
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:29 pm
Location: WV
Contact:

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by Hanuman110 » Sun May 06, 2012 10:11 pm

In addition to several of the above listed novels, I've always liked Wolf and Iron by Gordon R. Dickson.
"...I calculated the odds of this succeeding, vs. the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid...then I went ahead anyway."~Crow T. Robot

User avatar
Merovech
* * * * *
Posts: 1458
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:32 pm
Location: USDA Zone 7a

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by Merovech » Sun May 06, 2012 11:06 pm

Malevil by Robert Merle
Legacy of Heorot by Larry Niven
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

User avatar
DrthTater
* * * * *
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:36 pm
Location: Grand Junction, CO

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by DrthTater » Tue May 15, 2012 3:50 pm

This trilogy

I can't recommend Plague Year highly enough. Nano machines destroy life below 10k feet.

User avatar
MrFord
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:07 am
Location: South Central Ky.

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by MrFord » Tue May 15, 2012 9:02 pm

Plot line: What happens to a small Carolina college town after 3 high altitude nukes are detonated over the U.S..

Definitely make you rethink your preps!

Mister

http://www.amazon.com/One-Second-After- ... 0765317583" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Image
Youth and Enthusiasm Will Never Defeat Old Age And Treachery
"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Orwell


Image

User avatar
Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 5356
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:17 pm
Location: Western Terror Australis.

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Tue May 15, 2012 9:24 pm

Logans Run wrote:
ElevenBravo wrote:Image

Reading this one now, had to order it from the UK, good read.

Andrew
Is that an Apocalyptic novel for kids?
(I am in no way saying that is a bad thing)
See also:
Image
Image
Image

-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Image
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

User avatar
doc66
* * * * *
Posts: 5669
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Back home in Tennessee
Contact:

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by doc66 » Tue May 15, 2012 9:30 pm

Hanuman110 wrote:In addition to several of the above listed novels, I've always liked Wolf and Iron by Gordon R. Dickson.
Great book. The story of how that one came about is pretty interesting as well. Too bad he has passed on...

Swan's Song and The Postman are also great books.
Image
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Shiloh
* * * * *
Posts: 1391
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:46 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later
Location: Laramie, WY

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by Shiloh » Tue May 15, 2012 9:36 pm

-Dies the Fire, book #1 of "The Change" series by S. M. Stirling. I honestly couldn't put this one down. The concept of the novel seems kind of strange at first when you initially get into it, but it really gets going soon thereafter. There were a few things I didn't like too much (quite a bit of anti-Christian comments and commentary, glorifying certain activities that I would otherwise not condone, etc.) but nothing I could really drag on about for hours.

-The Protector's War, book #2 of "The Change" series. I haven't finished it quite yet, but so far so good.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

User avatar
doc66
* * * * *
Posts: 5669
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Back home in Tennessee
Contact:

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by doc66 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:02 pm

Shiloh wrote:-Dies the Fire, book #1 of "The Change" series by S. M. Stirling. I honestly couldn't put this one down. The concept of the novel seems kind of strange at first when you initially get into it, but it really gets going soon thereafter. There were a few things I didn't like too much (quite a bit of anti-Christian comments and commentary, glorifying certain activities that I would otherwise not condone, etc.) but nothing I could really drag on about for hours.

-The Protector's War, book #2 of "The Change" series. I haven't finished it quite yet, but so far so good.
LOL. I stopped reading after the second book. So many problems with the science in the book; if you can't build and make a steam engine, how do you boil water for cooking? And on and on. The series is a SCA/D&D wet dream.

Glad you liked it. I couldn't stop rolling my eyes. I realize that we have to suspend some disbelief, we are after all on a zombie forum, but Stirling just couldn't keep me suspended.
Image
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 3111
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:18 pm

Re: Several must read SCi-fi based Apocalyptic novels

Post by duodecima » Tue May 15, 2012 10:10 pm

doc66 wrote:
Shiloh wrote:-Dies the Fire, book #1 of "The Change" series by S. M. Stirling. I honestly couldn't put this one down. The concept of the novel seems kind of strange at first when you initially get into it, but it really gets going soon thereafter. There were a few things I didn't like too much (quite a bit of anti-Christian comments and commentary, glorifying certain activities that I would otherwise not condone, etc.) but nothing I could really drag on about for hours.

-The Protector's War, book #2 of "The Change" series. I haven't finished it quite yet, but so far so good.
LOL. I stopped reading after the second book. So many problems with the science in the book; if you can't build and make a steam engine, how do you boil water for cooking? And on and on. The series is a SCA/D&D wet dream.

Glad you liked it. I couldn't stop rolling my eyes. I realize that we have to suspend some disbelief, we are after all on a zombie forum, but Stirling just couldn't keep me suspended.
Eh, I enjoyed the first trilogy. I'm still reading the new ones as they come out, but it goes from apocalyptic to fantasy, over the course of the series. The romanticizing of a universal non-tech lifestyle does go a bit far imo. The first book does deserve its place in the apocalyptic lit lists.

Has anyone mentioned A Canticle for Leibowitz (by Miller) yet?
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Post Reply

Return to “Books”