Into the Badlands

Reviews of books, manuals or other texts.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Into the Badlands

Post by PistolPete » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:29 pm

My friend and local ZS guy Brian Jarrett has published his first novel. It happens to be a tale of survival in the zombie apocalypse, and I must say it's one of the best books on the subject I've read. I offer my recommendation to anyone who enjoys novels on the subject. You can get your own copy on Amazon for only $3!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005L4ITN0

From the book:
It’s been three years since a devastating pandemic transformed most of the world’s human population into vicious, wild animals. Ed Brady and his two sons rely solely on each other in order to survive in a world completely devoid of stability and structure. Their goal: reach the city by the river, where they may have some chance of finding salvation.

As they travel across the wasteland that was once the Midwestern United States, they encounter other survivors along the way. As their paths inevitably intertwine, Ed must remain steadfast that his sworn mission to see that his boys know safety and happiness is not compromised. Surrounded by the constant threat of attack by infected humans, can Ed and his sons make it to the city before their luck runs out? And, if they can, what will be waiting for them there when they arrive?

Into The Badlands is a fast-paced, post-apocalyptic thriller that will take readers on a desperate journey for salvation through the wasted remains of a land overrun with the stuff of nightmares.

Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Re: Into the Badlands

Post by SeerSavant » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:18 pm

Gonna have to pick that up... I'm addicted to zed novels..... :D

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:26 pm

So you are saying that it is easily worth $3?
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:25 pm

I can't believe im asking this, but is it available on kindle?

I'm sorry meat world books.... :gonk:
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:08 am

Oneswunk wrote:I can't believe im asking this, but is it available on kindle?

I'm sorry meat world books.... :gonk:

$3 wouldn't begin to cover the paper book cost - that is the kindle price. And, of course, we bought a nook. :gonk:
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:51 am

Ha. That makes sence, I'll have to look it up.
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:55 am

I was very reluctant to get a kindle, as I really like books. I got deal from woot on one and am very impressed. Plus, you can get good books for cheap.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

BrianJJarrett

Post by BrianJJarrett » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:06 am

duodecima wrote:$3 wouldn't begin to cover the paper book cost - that is the kindle price. And, of course, we bought a nook. :gonk:

You're in luck! Just hit the Nook yesterday: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Into-the-Badlands/Brian-J-Jarrett/e/2940013311541

Other formats are available too. Links to all are located here: http://brianjjarrett.com/novels/into-the-badlands/

Thanks for your interest!

BrianJJarrett

Post by BrianJJarrett » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:20 am

By the way, I just published a collection of short horror stories on the Kindle and the Nook. Here's the link if you're interested: http://brianjjarrett.com/collections/the-signal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:23 am

I'm reading it and really enjoying it...thanks!

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

BrianJJarrett

Post by BrianJJarrett » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:24 am

Jamie wrote:I'm reading it and really enjoying it...thanks!

Jamie
That's absolutely awesome to hear. Thanks so much for sharing and for your support!

AeroRat

Post by AeroRat » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:42 am

I am intrigued. Alas, I have no e-readers of any description. :(

Any plans for a paper version?

BrianJJarrett

Post by BrianJJarrett » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:55 pm

AeroRat wrote:I am intrigued. Alas, I have no e-readers of any description. :(

So far I haven't made any solid plans, but I might be ready to reconsider that. It'll require some more research and work on my part, but it's a viable option now. If I were to pull the trigger on a paperback I'd imagine it might come along within three to six months.

Of course Amazon is now selling Kindles for $79...that's a pretty sweet deal. And if you don't want to shell out for a Kindle device there are free Kindle apps for iPhone, iPad, Android, Macs, PCs, etc. Something to consider, at least.

Take care and thanks for your interest!

Brian

AeroRat

Post by AeroRat » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:02 pm

No smart phones, either. Mine just makes and accepts calls and takes really lousy pictures. :lol:

I'll keep an eye open for a print version, though. This sounds like less of a shoot-em-up PAW story, and I'm all over those.

BrianJJarrett

Post by BrianJJarrett » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:58 pm

AeroRat wrote:No smart phones, either. Mine just makes and accepts calls and takes really lousy pictures. :lol:

I'll keep an eye open for a print version, though. This sounds like less of a shoot-em-up PAW story, and I'm all over those.
I hear ya!

You're right; it's not a "shoot-em up" story. Well, there's a little gunplay. :)

These are average people, just surviving however they can. Really it's a story about never giving up and not losing your humanity when the rest of the world has. And our protagonist, Ed, while teaching his kids how to survive ends up learning some very important lessons from his own children.

I wrote this story with my own two boys in mind; we seem to be teaching each other every day.

I know reading on the PC is tough, but there is a Kindle app for that. They also have a "cloud" reader (which is just a fancy way of reading in your web browser). I'll look into the on-demand print stuff in the meantime.

Take care,
Brian

BrianJJarrett

Post by BrianJJarrett » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:34 pm

By the way, Into the Badlands just recently received some good reviews on Amazon. Check it out here.

mclary2220

Post by mclary2220 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:58 pm

i can't wait to check this book out!!!!!!

BrianJJarrett

Post by BrianJJarrett » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:54 pm

Thanks! Really appreciate it.

And thanks to anyone who purchased a copy of the book. I'm on track to pass 400 copies sold by the end of December!

BrianJJarrett

Post by BrianJJarrett » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:31 am

Working on the paper version now. I'm shooting for sometime in February. It'll be more expensive (higher production costs than an ebook), but I'm trying to keep the price as low as possible. I'll post again once it's available.

Take care,
Brian

BrianJJarrett

Post by BrianJJarrett » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:29 am

The paper version went live this week. You can pick it up from Amazon now, just follow this link: http://amzn.com/1468123424" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wish I could have made it cheaper, but paper has a lot of overhead. I did price it as low as they'd let me.

Hope you enjoy it!

Take care,
Brian

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Mon May 07, 2012 4:22 pm

Just downloaded this!
Check out my book, Zombies Across the Border, in the Fiction section and let me know what you think!

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Mon May 14, 2012 12:06 am

Finally read this and I really enjoyed it. Definitely worth a read!
Check out my book, Zombies Across the Border, in the Fiction section and let me know what you think!

BrianJJarrett

Post by BrianJJarrett » Tue May 22, 2012 8:24 pm

Zombie309 wrote:Finally read this and I really enjoyed it. Definitely worth a read!
Awesome! I'm glad you liked it. I'll hopefully have the sequel out by this time next year.

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:21 pm

BrianJJarrett wrote:
Zombie309 wrote:Finally read this and I really enjoyed it. Definitely worth a read!
Awesome! I'm glad you liked it. I'll hopefully have the sequel out by this time next year.
Excellent I'll definitely be checking that out.

Return to “Books”