It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:13 am 

MerKWorK wrote:
Trying to find any other works by the author also. !

So far just these two.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:39 am 

I have both on my Ipod...and find that when I finish another book, i return to the day by day series because they are so fun. I am especially fond of the last of of beyond exile. Talk about a bug out from hell! :) I think just to support the author, and to preserve them for the real shit hit the fan, I am going to buy these in paperback also! Good Job Bourne!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:54 pm 

FIRST one GREAT

SECOND one....meh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:47 am 

New here, but not my first post (I hope).

I read the first one in, I think, a week, and thought it was great. Fantastic. Immediately went on a search for the second one when I found a Borders Store. Found it, and finished it in about 4 days. I personally like the second one even better, although it seems to be deviating from a pure zombie problem. Which personally I like immensely, because of the added element of mystery. I think perhaps I'm not an avid, pure "zombie apocolypse" fan.

I can't wait for a third.... I HOPE THERE IS A THIRD!

So far, with these two books, I find it to be the best fiction I've read in a long time. It has been a LONG time since I've found a book or series where I'll sit down and read it and totally lose track of time, not get sleepy, even if I've only gotten 5 hours the night before.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:50 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

dogboy wrote:
New here, but not my first post (I hope).

I read the first one in, I think, a week, and thought it was great. Fantastic. Immediately went on a search for the second one when I found a Borders Store. Found it, and finished it in about 4 days. I personally like the second one even better, although it seems to be deviating from a pure zombie problem. Which personally I like immensely, because of the added element of mystery. I think perhaps I'm not an avid, pure "zombie apocolypse" fan.

I can't wait for a third.... I HOPE THERE IS A THIRD!

So far, with these two books, I find it to be the best fiction I've read in a long time. It has been a LONG time since I've found a book or series where I'll sit down and read it and totally lose track of time, not get sleepy, even if I've only gotten 5 hours the night before.

There is a 3rd! I looked at the authors website and he has cover photos! I cant wait either, and I like you like how the story has evolved. Not only are there Zombies out there, but someone else is after you too? How much worse can it get??

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:01 am 

Vanniek71 wrote:
There is a 3rd! I looked at the authors website and he has cover photos! I cant wait either, and I like you like how the story has evolved. Not only are there Zombies out there, but someone else is after you too? How much worse can it get??

Cool! Going to have to go searching for that one.

I think it is probably realistic, within the framework of the fiction and real human nature, that there would be elements of the living that would try to profit off other living. Even in such an apocolyptic scenario. Or maybe I'm just cynical.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:22 am 

dogboy wrote:
....although it seems to be deviating from a pure zombie problem. Which personally I like immensely, because of the added element of mystery. I think perhaps I'm not an avid, pure "zombie apocolypse" fan. .

I like the traditional zombies but I don't worry about that much. I like variety…give me zombies in any form…throw in any other type of villain you want…other humans…vampires…mutants.. whatever….just give me a good story.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:41 pm 

potential **SPOILER**

... if there is anyone around who hasn't read the first two yet....

I think the spin I like the most in this storyline is it appears that the catalyst for the un-dead is airborne, and if a person dies of anything other than head trauma, they will come back even if they haven't been attacked by a zombie. Which is as is mentioned in the book (1 or 2, cant' remember), any place with contact with ourside air is contaminated and a potential hot-zone with even one death. Much more sinister than the typical zombie storyline I'm used to, where there has to be an exchange of bodily fluids somehow. Well, I guess except for the initial contagion in Resident Evil? But then the flip side of that is, how does a person who has been dead for a long time (like the guy on the sub) then rise when exposed to the atmosphere, when there is no circulation to carry the catalyst to the brain? Seems to be a disconnect there.

Good mix of fast zombies and slow zombies, though. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:35 pm 

Location: Texas: "Land of Big Open Skies and Freedom-loving Patriots"
I thought both books were great! One of the best things about his main character is how human he is. He has fear, but overcomes it. There's nothing superhuman about his lead character -- he is a ordinary person, put in an extraordinary situation. His nobility is apparent when he risks his own neck to help others.

I do believe that Bourne's writing has actually gotten better in the second novel.
His descriptive passages are more vivid and he does an even better job of building suspense.
****Spoiler alert ****

One of the best passages in the book is his initial encounter with the "smartish" zombie who lingers outside the door. How scary would it be to have a ghoul like that only inches away trying to look back at you through a peep hole?

I also very much like the aftermath of the helicopter crash where he regains consciousness after his travel mates tug at him... only to realize that they aren't trying to wake him, but to eat him....that is good fiction!

I may not have been born in Texas, but I got here
just as fast as I could!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:02 pm 

3Fingas wrote:
I thought both books were great! One of the best things about his main character is how human he is. He has fear, but overcomes it. There's nothing superhuman about his lead character -- he is a ordinary person, put in an extraordinary situation. His nobility is apparent when he risks his own neck to help others.

I do believe that Bourne's writing has actually gotten better in the second novel.
His descriptive passages are more vivid and he does an even better job of building suspense.
****Spoiler alert ****

One of the best passages in the book is his initial encounter with the "smartish" zombie who lingers outside the door. How scary would it be to have a ghoul like that only inches away trying to look back at you through a peep hole?

I also very much like the aftermath of the helicopter crash where he regains consciousness after his travel mates tug at him... only to realize that they aren't trying to wake him, but to eat him....that is good fiction!

Couldn't agree with you more, on all of that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:37 pm 

Just Finished both books and the short story "if you can read this..." loved both of them and cant wait for the third! best zombie books I have ever read!

"Prepare yourself!"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:16 pm 

dogboy wrote:
Vanniek71 wrote:

Cool! Going to have to go searching for that one.

I think it is probably realistic, within the framework of the fiction and real human nature, that there would be elements of the living that would try to profit off other living. Even in such an apocolyptic scenario. Or maybe I'm just cynical.

Don't worry. Raptorman will keep us updated! He never forgets us little people.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:51 pm 

I read both books and loved them! I convinced my 19, who reads NOTHING, to check them out and he finished them both in less than a week. I can't wait to get my hands on the new one. My son is going to have to wait for me to finish it or to get his own copy!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:54 pm 

those are my two favorite zombie books! It would be awesome to see this made into film(s)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:34 am 

Just finished Beyond Exile. Keep it up. Can't wait to find out what happens on the next mission.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:36 pm 

BIGT94z wrote:
those are my two favorite zombie books! It would be awesome to see this made into film(s)

Somebody would screw it up and likely make it another tired cliche zombie comedy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:31 pm 

Just finished Day by Day Armageddon. Read it in like 2 days. Now I'm gonna head out and get Beyond Exile.

Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit(he who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)-Ovid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:00 am 

I found it for the most part well written. But having been a Naval Aviator I have a few problems with the factual portions of the book.
1: An EP-3 is not a modified C-130. It is an electronic surveillance version of the P-3 Orion, the Navy version of the AWACS.
2: When they arrive in Corpus and since the main character was multi engine certified, why pick a T-34C over the T-44 (twin engine more room for gear)
3: When you have problems with a Hamilton Standard prop, It tends to go to a flatter blade angle not feather
4: When you feather the prop it also shuts down the engine. So when they land on the island the engine would not have been running to attract the walkers.

While most of you these mistakes wouldn't effect you it would bother anyone in the aviation field.

I also have a few problems with the helo crash as well.

Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:47 am 

Location: Texas: "Land of Big Open Skies and Freedom-loving Patriots"
sarky wrote:
I found it for the most part well written. But having been a Naval Aviator I have a few problems with the factual portions of the book.
1: An EP-3 is not a modified C-130. It is an electronic surveillance version of the P-3 Orion, the Navy version of the AWACS.
2: When they arrive in Corpus and since the main character was multi engine certified, why pick a T-34C over the T-44 (twin engine more room for gear)
3: When you have problems with a Hamilton Standard prop, It tends to go to a flatter blade angle not feather
4: When you feather the prop it also shuts down the engine. So when they land on the island the engine would not have been running to attract the walkers.

While most of you these mistakes wouldn't effect you it would bother anyone in the aviation field.

I also have a few problems with the helo crash as well.

For number 2. I think it says somewhere that the main character chose that model because he was more familiar with it.

As for the the other aviation points, you should pm raptorman and see how responds to them. I know that raptorman has been receptive to factual challenges. One person with a lot of nuclear experience offered some input on radiation effects in his 2nd book.

I may not have been born in Texas, but I got here
just as fast as I could!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:44 am 

For number 2. I think it says somewhere that the main character chose that model because he was more familiar with it

If was multi-engine qualed, he would have had about the same time in both platforms. In point of fact he should have had way more time in multi engine platforms (fixed wing) than single engine. Although I know a lot of pilots who fly single engine just to get the stick time.

Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:16 am 

Public Service Announcement: DAY BY DAY ARMAGEDDON: SHATTERED HOURGLASS (DBDA 3) is now available via eBook (kindle, nook, ipad) and will be out via print format on 26 December. Enjoy! --JLB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:39 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Thank You Raptorman.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:24 am 

AWESOME!!!!
I've already had my pre-order in for a while! Didn't think about the e-version coming out earlier. :( Doesn't matter though, I'm excited. Half-way through my second reading of Beyond Exile, after having re-read Armageddon last week. I should finish up Beyond Exile just in time to roll into Shattered Hourglass! :clap:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:46 am 

I read the first two books earlier on in the year and enjoyed them both, though it has to be said I liked the first a bit more than the second. I've had my pre-order for the third one in for a while now and it'll give me something to read post xmas food stuffage.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next