The Last Centurion by John Ringo

Reviews of books, manuals or other texts.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

suntzu

The Last Centurion by John Ringo

Post by suntzu » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:45 pm

I just started reading this book. It deals with a new strain of bird flu plague, and a drop in temperature worldwide for the apocalypse. It is written in a blog style, and goes into detail with cause/effect scenarios, and how people survived. I highly recommend this book. I picked it up last night and am a third of the way through the 439 pages.

Here is the link to more information.

http://www.thelastcenturion.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MarkTBSc

Re: The Last Centurion by John Ringo

Post by MarkTBSc » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:49 pm

Just a warning to anyone who reads this book and isn't American or a staunch Republican, it's a very political book and can get your back up in a bad way. Ringo's become much more outspoken politically over the last few of his novels. I've read most of his stuff but I'm avoiding this particular one on principle because of the bashing he gives the UK.

To be fair, he bashes everyone who isn't a US Republican but still.

BTW - Every other book he's ever written is Awesome!

suntzu

Post by suntzu » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:50 pm

Its also full of awesome firefights and huge explosions...and words, and punctuation, and an ISBN number.

Big A

Post by Big A » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:20 pm

Oh. My. Freaking. God!!

Picked up a copy of this great book at the library today, and
have already read 113 pages.

I've just gotten started, really, but his background story is
freaking fantastic!

No, he is NOT a Democrat; I picked up on that real quick.

Excellent SHTF book, so far. The way he chronicles and describes
the wheels coming off is head and shoulders above anything else
I have read in a LONG time.
"All I want from you is a little civility, and that
of the commonest goddamnest kind."

Seanwins
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), 28 Days Later, Resident Evil (all)

Post by Seanwins » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:34 am

Reading John Ringo is like watching a Charles Bronson movie. Like, you know how in Death Wish Bronson will blast a guy and the target throws his hands in the air and screams bloody murder and then takes a running leap off a firescape to the street below? Some would call that melodramatic, poor acting. To me, it's pure comedy gold. :lol:

As far as Ringo goes, the action parts are great, the overwhelming amounts of bondage and S&M are a little weird :roll: , and the characters are all misogynist ultra-conservative, lantern-chinned action-figure archetypes with little going for them in terms of depth, but that's OK.

I will always like to read great novels, but sometimes I just want to watch a little Charles Bronson. :D

karlsgunbunker

Post by karlsgunbunker » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:14 pm

I downloaded a copy from Baen.com ($6)
I loved it but then I'm a conservative/Libertarian.
Wasn't what I was expecting, No roman legions or emperiors, just Nancy Pelosi as President.
I have read most of ringo's stuff, still have a few waiting in the wings, Loved the Kildar series.
KGB 01FFL - $20 transfers in the Indianapolis area
http://www.hoosiergunclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

streetpig1690

Post by streetpig1690 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:33 am

I love Ringo's books.

congochris

Post by congochris » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:30 pm

Another good SHTF series is his Legacy of the Aldenatta series. And "There will be dragons".. yeah he does SHTF really well.

For those of you put off by the S&M stuff, I'll rate them for you:

Legacy of the Aldenatta (Iron Mike Oneil books) no S&M

Council Wars (Blood Lords!!) a little, but not a lot, overall.

Empire of Man (Prince Roger books) - very little, like almsot no sex at all, even.

Special Circumstances - zip, nada zilch.

Into the looking glass - Doh! Haven't read these yet..

Paladin of Shadows (Ghost) oh yeah, lots of that "over the edge" stuff, but strangely, it's very tied in with the demons the main character deals with inside himself, so it ends upmaking sense.

So there ya go, a reading guide to sex in John Ringo's novels.

Also: LAst centurion.. completely awesome. Read it a few months ago (hooray for Baen books releasing titles before they're even out in hardback using webscriptions!) and am eagerly awaiting the sequel. Since it's getting nice and cold, I expect Ringo's writing speed will pick up. He's a freak. He writes ona laptop outside inthe cold, and that's when he says he gets his best work done.

MarySue
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by MarySue » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:07 pm

MarkTBSc wrote:Just a warning to anyone who reads this book and isn't American or a staunch Republican, it's a very political book and can get your back up in a bad way. Ringo's become much more outspoken politically over the last few of his novels. I've read most of his stuff but I'm avoiding this particular one on principle because of the bashing he gives the UK.

To be fair, he bashes everyone who isn't a US Republican but still.

BTW - Every other book he's ever written is Awesome!
I like some of John Ringo's books. Some. But then he starts trying to write female characters, and there's several of my friends like to refer to him as "Oh, John Ringo, NO!"

Used in a sentence: Did you see the latest book cover on "Oh, John Ringo, No!"'s Legacy series?

MarkTBSc

Post by MarkTBSc » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:26 pm

MarySue wrote:I like some of John Ringo's books. Some. But then he starts trying to write female characters, and there's several of my friends like to refer to him as "Oh, John Ringo, NO!"

Used in a sentence: Did you see the latest book cover on "Oh, John Ringo, No!"'s Legacy series?
I remember when the "Oh John Ringo No!" thing first came out. Thanks to Hradzka and his blog. John did pretty well writing Nimashet in the Empire of Man series. I think he gets a lot of help from Lady Miriam on matters relating to the fairer sex.

suntzu

Post by suntzu » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:54 pm

Well, if you don't like Ringo, you probably won't like Tom Kratman, whose books that I've finished recently are A Desert Called Peace, Carnifex, and Caliphate. Google them if you want to know more.

MarySue
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by MarySue » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:17 pm

Yeah, it's okay, I won't be looking for a new series for a while, I picked up my first Discworld novel a couple of months ago and now, of course, I must read through the entire series.

karlsgunbunker

Post by karlsgunbunker » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:10 pm

suntzu wrote:Well, if you don't like Ringo, you probably won't like Tom Kratman, whose books that I've finished recently are A Desert Called Peace, Carnifex, and Caliphate. Google them if you want to know more.
All Excellent Books!
KGB 01FFL - $20 transfers in the Indianapolis area
http://www.hoosiergunclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lenny
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the them, even the super cheesy unrealistic ones.

Post by Lenny » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:42 am

Just finished Centurion. I thought it was awesome, however if you steer to the left....leave it alone..you'll hate it.
Oderint Dum Metuant

"A knot ....is either exactly right or it is hopelessly wrong. Make only one change...and either an entirely different knot is made or no knot at all may exist." Clifford W. Ashley

Seanwins
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), 28 Days Later, Resident Evil (all)

Post by Seanwins » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:58 am

Lenny wrote:Just finished Centurion. I thought it was awesome, however if you steer to the left....leave it alone..you'll hate it.
If you even steer to the middle........ :roll:

Lenny
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the them, even the super cheesy unrealistic ones.

Post by Lenny » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:26 pm

Seanwins wrote:
Lenny wrote:Just finished Centurion. I thought it was awesome, however if you steer to the left....leave it alone..you'll hate it.
If you even steer to the middle........ :roll:
Point taken... :oops:
Oderint Dum Metuant

"A knot ....is either exactly right or it is hopelessly wrong. Make only one change...and either an entirely different knot is made or no knot at all may exist." Clifford W. Ashley

RocktownLivingDead

Post by RocktownLivingDead » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:34 am

Here you can read some of the book, its from Johnny Ringo's site.

http://www.webscription.net/chapters/A1 ... 555536.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I kind of like the way its written I need to get this book.

Pugnax

Post by Pugnax » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:31 pm

[quote="MarkTBSc"] I've read most of his stuff but I'm avoiding this particular one on principle because of the bashing he gives the UK.[quote]

Hello - Just curious, but how did he bash the UK? I have read the book once, and am 2/3 the way through the audio book version, and can't recall a "bash"? But then again, I am looking at the book through a different prism...
Feed the quail in your backyard. You may need to eat them later.

Pugnax

Post by Pugnax » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:12 pm

I really liked this book...a lot! To be fair, I would say that one would not like this book if they don't like being challenged (or the heavy use of terse language). Although I agree with most of Ringo's right of center rant and raves presented in this book, I did not agree with them all, specifically how the healthy eaters were hit harder that the non-healthy eaters. It was an interesting argument, and challenged my preconceptions. In the end I still disagree, but it did not discourage my enjoyment of the story.

Also, I think it unfair to focus so heavily on the politics presented in Book One (of Three). That was only 1/3 of the story. Book Two was very much Military High Adventure, while Book Three wrapped up the trials, tribulations, and recovery in America.

In the end, it is still fiction. Perhaps fiction that attempts to educate (in this regard like Robert Heinlein). Enjoy as such.

PS - Books One, Two, and Three are all "books" in the same physical book.

MarkTBSc

Post by MarkTBSc » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:16 pm

Hey Pugnax,
When I read the snippets he posted on Baen's Bar, there was a lot of "The UK's nationalised health service was instantly overwhelmed, staffed by incompetents, incapable of even the basic skills that the superlative American health service managed and thus all the people of England died blah blah blah."

I love my country. Up until now I've dealt with John's stuff because he either excludes the UK completely or hands out some small snippets of praise. When all he has to say about my home is negative and based on his own prejudices then I stop reading. Still, no big. Most of his other stuff is fine.

It's why David Weber regularly edges out John from my Top Author spot.

Pugnax

Post by Pugnax » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:55 pm

Hello MarkTBSc,

Okay, granted, he is very, very, hard on the U.K.s nationalized health care system in the book. And this may be one of those my prism is different than yours things, but when I read this, I did not think it a bash on the U.K. as a whole, as opposed to a harsh critique on it's health care system. I could be splitting hairs, maybe...but events later in the book make it clear that Ringo does not have any ill will for the U.K. As it is, he is also very hard on parts of the U.S., and not just the liberal states.

The argument he is making is that countries with socialized medicine are ill equipped to deal with a global pandemic. If you do read this book anytime in the future, I would be interested in seeing you start a thread to discuss this critique :) Or you could just send me a PM.

As I stated in my previous thread, the political rant in book 1 is what most folks focus on. I personally liked book 2 better, which dealt with the main characters (mis)adventures in the middle east.

And yes, Weber rocks!

Seanwins

Post by Seanwins » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:40 am

Pugnax wrote:Hello MarkTBSc,

Okay, granted, he is very, very, hard on the U.K.s nationalized health care system in the book. And this may be one of those my prism is different than yours things, but when I read this, I did not think it a bash on the U.K. as a whole, as opposed to a harsh critique on it's health care system. I could be splitting hairs, maybe...but events later in the book make it clear that Ringo does not have any ill will for the U.K. As it is, he is also very hard on parts of the U.S., and not just the liberal states.

The argument he is making is that countries with socialized medicine are ill equipped to deal with a global pandemic. If you do read this book anytime in the future, I would be interested in seeing you start a thread to discuss this critique :) Or you could just send me a PM.

As I stated in my previous thread, the political rant in book 1 is what most folks focus on. I personally liked book 2 better, which dealt with the main characters (mis)adventures in the middle east.

And yes, Weber rocks!
Well said. Welcome to the boards!

P.S. David Drake > Weber + Ringo

Shmerlin

Post by Shmerlin » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:10 am

LOL, yea! more Baen fans :D

I've even been a Red Shirt in one of the Ringo books.
Dinner Adventures, My restuarant review blog.

MarkTBSc

Post by MarkTBSc » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:20 pm

I may have been kinda Tuckerized. I'm not sure. A couple of people with my last name have turned up in the books and I was the guy who introduced John to Dragonforce but it's tricky to tell.

I'm sad I never got an official T-Shirt. "Ringo's Red Shirts - When death is inevitable, style counts!"

Return to “Books”