Primitive Technology book

Reviews of books, manuals or other texts.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

boskone

Primitive Technology book

Post by boskone » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:29 pm

I suspect most of us are at least generally familiar with Primitive Technology on YouTube. If you're not: he's a dude in (IIRC) Australia who builds huts, builds kilns and fires clay, makes bricks, and other such things starting from "here's some dirt and a stick".

Also refined iron from "iron bacteria", though the returns were little enough I doubt that's a useful piece of expertise.

He's decided to put out a book, supposedly available late October.

I'll be curious to see how it's received. Even for those of us not in a tropical(-ish) environment there might well be a lot of good, adaptable info.

Happy Go Lucky
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, I'll add more as they come to me.....

Re: Primitive Technology book

Post by Happy Go Lucky » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:59 pm

I received a copy for Christmas.
Yes, I had asked for it after reading about it.
It is fairly short, but I like the way it is put together.

The book follows a sequence of making tools where you start with the simplest (a rock) and then use that to make a more complicated tool.
It follows similar logical progression for clothing, shelters, etc.

It is very nicely photographed and illustrated to help with the construction guidance.

Again, it is fairly short, with a limited number of items being created.

I haven't actually started any "projects" from the book, but would like to in the future.

I'll definitely keep it on my shelf of other other survival/self-sufficient living books I've accumulated.
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.
Barry Goldwater

Return to “Books”