Paladin Press Shutting Down

Reviews of books, manuals or other texts.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

aikorob

Paladin Press Shutting Down

Post by aikorob » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:14 am

message on their website
apologies if this has been posted before:
https://www.paladin-press.com/
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Re: Paladin Press Shutting Down

Post by RonnyRonin » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:16 am

Thanks for the heads up!

I guess I have mixed feelings, certainly they have put out some awful books over the years with some bad info, but no worse then your average blog or forum. I am super nostalgic about always seeing that one crazy guy at gunshows growing up that always had the booth full of Paladin (and much worse) books for sale.

Did they scale way back on the more controversial titles since the late 90's or am I thinking of another publisher?
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Zembecowicz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (original)

Post by Zembecowicz » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:07 pm

RonnyRonin,
IIRC Paladin stopped publishing some titles after the family of a murder victim sued them for publishing a book called "Hit Man: A Technical Manual for Independent Contractors".

As an aside, with Loompanics now long gone and Paladin going away soon I have to wonder about the future for writers of fringe literature. I suppose that there is an argument to be made that self publishing sites like Lulu will probably fill in a lot of the gaps, and that other stuff will simply be replaced by blogs and the like. It's still sad to see a publishing house for unusual things go under.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:00 pm

I think that if you seek you will still find. The Hayduke stuff is available via Amazon, and other sites, for instance. I agree though; I don't like seeing the smaller companies and independent publishers shut down. I began buying/reading stuff from them in 9th grade, when they advertised in Soldier of Fortune. Thanks for the notice. It also led me to a book that looks interesting that is about the afore-mentioned lawsuit. http://www.nytimes.com/books/99/08/01/b ... 95045.html
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Post by RonnyRonin » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:17 pm

holy cow, just ordered a few books (speaking of, if one where the speculator type it looks like you could buy out a few of the more popular titles and resell at a decent margin) and only afterward found out I could walk from my new home to their offices, we are even on the same street. Odd town for them, I think many Boulderites would be up in arms if they knew there was such a place in town.

I kinda think most of the fringe writers who might have authored books for a publisher like this nowadays are just writing blogs or making youtube videos. I too am sympathetic to quirky places willing to publish offbeat stuff, certainly worth it for the few gems that get to print because of them.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Return to “Books”