Zombie books with a side of humor?

Reviews of books, manuals or other texts.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

emt442

Zombie books with a side of humor?

Post by emt442 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:57 am

I love za books. I have read all of the major ones and many of the little known ones in the genre. I'm looking to take a little break from all the heavy themes and devour some post apocalypse books that have a humorous slant to them. Any recommendations for me?

Thanks!

Close_enough

Re: Zombie books with a side of humor?

Post by Close_enough » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:00 pm

Not ZPAW, but Seth Grahame- Smith "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" has a certain macabre humor.

quazi

Post by quazi » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:27 pm

The Zombie Fallout series by Mark Tufo has a lot of humor.

I kind of lost interest around book three or so, but it wasn't terrible.

phydaux

Post by phydaux » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:16 pm

Close_enough wrote:Not ZPAW, but Seth Grahame- Smith "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" has a certain macabre humor.
Just finished it. it was interesting. The movie was unwatchable equine shite.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:12 am

Is Shaun of the Dead or Zombieland on Netflix?

Not books, but probably the best of ZA humor.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

phydaux

Post by phydaux » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:40 am

Langenator wrote:Is Shaun of the Dead or Zombieland on Netflix?
These were both excellent.

Pickle
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead '04, Resident Evil, 28 Days Later - even though they aren't zombies per se........

Post by Pickle » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:14 pm

Black Tide Rosong series by John Ringo.

1) Under a Graceyard Sky
2) To Sail a Darking Sea
3) Islands of Rage and Hope
4) Strands of Sorrow

I've just finished #1 and am currently on #2. It has humor, and some rather overdone tropes and clichés as well. The main characters are über-prepared, but that's the point as the author has stated that his belief is during a ZA/TEOTWAWKI situation anyone who hasn't been preparing will be pretty dead pretty quick.

AKSilversmith

Post by AKSilversmith » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:29 pm

My Life as a White Trash Zombie by Diana Rowland and Married With Zombies by Jesse Petersen are both great for a zombie chuckle. Definitely agree that the Zombie Fallout series by Mark Tufo has a good bit of quirky humour.

I am going to blatantly plug Bite No.1: The Old Man at the End of the World - erm... my zombie offering. Let me know what you think - you've got nothing to lose ;) it's free on Amazon while Bite No.2 gets itself in order:

https://www.amazon.com/Bite-No-1-zombie ... B06WVDWDH6 OR https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bite-No-1-zomb ... bc?ie=UTF8

'Shaun of the Dead' Fans Take Note!

Gerald Stockwell-Poulter couldn’t help but feel it was extraordinary just how quickly his life had changed. One moment he was earthing up leeks in the West Sussex sunshine and the next he was rooted to the spot as Rodney Timmins from the end allotment ambled towards him, arms outstretched, blood pouring from a hole in his neck and a look in his eye which suggested that he was less after help and more after a helping of Gerald.

Now, as Gerald’s life takes a quick turn for the worse, he must do things he has never done before. After 87 largely well-behaved years as a model citizen, less than four hours into the ‘zompocalypse’ and he has already killed a neighbour, rescued a moody millennial drug dealer and forged an unlikely allegiance with a giant ginger Scotsman. And it isn’t even tea time.

Join Gerald as he and his newfound allies navigate the post-apocalyptic English countryside in their hilarious bid to stay off the menu.

Kildar

Post by Kildar » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:10 pm

Pickle wrote:Black Tide Rosong series by John Ringo.

1) Under a Graceyard Sky
2) To Sail a Darking Sea
3) Islands of Rage and Hope
4) Strands of Sorrow

I've just finished #1 and am currently on #2. It has humor, and some rather overdone tropes and clichés as well. The main characters are über-prepared, but that's the point as the author has stated that his belief is during a ZA/TEOTWAWKI situation anyone who hasn't been preparing will be pretty dead pretty quick.
I love that series there is also a 5th "black tide rising" book now and 2 more on the way although book 5 is an anthology colab with Gary Poole that is multiple short stories of the fall from people on the land bugging out or in. Book 6 "more than his salt" is said to be the story of Steve brother at that bank from the point we stopped getting info about him while book 7 is going to be another anthology called "voices of the fall". but ya these are some great reads and have a great comical feel to them as well if Faith was a real girl i would be in love soon as she turned 18 lmao.
Head shots are effective but groin shots are more entertaining when taking out zombies!

Chicago Zombie
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The only bad zombie movie is an unwatched zombie movie...(& American Zombie, Dead Country, Zombiez, Dead Clowns....)

Post by Chicago Zombie » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:44 pm

quazi wrote:The Zombie Fallout series by Mark Tufo has a lot of humor.

I kind of lost interest around book three or so, but it wasn't terrible.
This would have been my suggestion too.
I'm almost done with book 5...
ZSC:020 Chapter Officer. IL, WI, or IN resident? Please stop by the ZSC:020 Chicagoland Forum!
CERT & RACES member.
ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks
May is Ehlers Danlos Syndrome awareness month!
"You can't always decide what happens to you, but you can decide how you react."

winbro
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days after

Post by winbro » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:48 am

Close_enough wrote:Not ZPAW, but Seth Grahame- Smith "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" has a certain macabre humor.
OMG it sounds so fcuked up hahaha

BrandonWood

Post by BrandonWood » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:34 am

emt442 wrote:I love za books. I have read all of the major ones and many of the little known ones in the genre. I'm looking to take a little break from all the heavy themes and devour some post apocalypse books that have a humorous slant to them. Any recommendations for me?

Thanks!
Hello!
I have several recommendations for reading.
The first book is Zombie, Ohio by Scott Kenemore,
The second is Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry, the third is The Becoming by Jessica Meigs.
I'm really fond of a slightly different genre of literature, but it was these books that impressed me most.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:00 pm

I will note that while neither series is specifically about zombies, both Larry Correia's Monster Hunter and Hard Magic series do have zombies in them. As well as humor.

And both are excellent.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

ratseal

Post by ratseal » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:13 pm

Langenator wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:00 pm
I will note that while neither series is specifically about zombies, both Larry Correia's Monster Hunter and Hard Magic series do have zombies in them. As well as humor.

And both are excellent.
And John Ringo wrote with Larry Correia in the MHI universe - three novels. The first is Monster Hunger: Grunge.

John also has a new novel out next month - this one back in his zombie universe, the Black Tide Rising. The book is called The Valley of Shadows.

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:58 pm

Thank you for the reminder.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Return to “Books”