It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:19 am 

I watched a you-tube video this morning about the role of psychology in survival situations like that in the TV show Alone.

I think he make a fair analysis.

The main point he makes is that technical skill alone is not sufficient; mental and psychogical factors come into play, especially if alone.

When I was training in CFB Bagotville we were given a copy of the RCAF book called Down But Not Out. I still have my copy in a box somewhere. The first chapter was not about guns or fire or shelter. Rather, it was about psychology.

The first chapter is super relevant given what has transpired in both seasons of the show Alone.

You can find a copy of it here: http://www.icsos.ca/References/down%20b ... v%2001.pdf

Or here, if you have 250$!: https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=dp_byline_s ... s=books-ca

Besides being able to make fire and eat, psychology is extremely important and is often ignored in favour of talking about guns, knives and shelters.

Quote:
In recent years many advances have been made in the development of clothing, equipment and rations for survival, and in the techniques for their use. However, regardless of how good equipment is or how good the techniques for its use are, the man faced with a survival situation still has to deal with himself. Man's psychological reactions to the stresses of survival often make him unable to utilize his available resources.

MT

Last edited by modustollens on Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:50 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Yep. Deep Survival by Gonzales is good too.

Positive

Mental

Attitude

and the temples of his gods".

Buy "The Kingdom of Saudi Australia in paperback, ebook or kindle:
http://Www.lulu.com/spotlight/JustinLuke

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:56 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Quote:
“I never lost faith in the end of the story.”
The Stockdale Paradox
I have only watched one full episode of the TV Show but I am glad to have watched that one. Recently, a fellow, one of five, just decided that he had done everything needed to survive for a month but couldn’t really think of a reason to stay any longer so he called for pickup, and departure. What a nice option! I see no mention of this in the manual you provided (thanks for the .pdf !).

On the TV series ‘Unclothed and Unskeert,’ it is interesting to see people hit their personal wall and bounce back. In my observation of the show, (about 3 episodes) it seems the female hits the wall sooner but bounces back a bit stronger (or not at all and fails completely). The male takes longer to hit it but risks complete breakdown once it happens. Add the fact that the guaranteed rescue is planned at 21 days and always within a single cry for help, and then you see the nice option appear again.

In speaking and writing, Admiral Stockdale spoke about his stay in the Hanoi Hilton with respect to the Stoics, who he had studied in Grad School. He spoke about the optimists having the greatest trouble because they too often tried to create positive energy even with the silliest rumor (e.g., we’ll all be released for Christmas). Once something hoped for that was positive didn’t occur, spirits dropped significantly and sometimes led to death. I met another guy who was captured and held for several years before even being led to the Hanoi Hilton. He said he spent two years in a cage with a broken leg while trying to raise a python that he had befriended. In his mind, he wrote a book of Algebra that could better teach new high school students how to work algebraic formulas. By the time Doug Hegdahl was released and listed his name among the living, the wife, thinking she was a widower, had already remarried and had children and a new family.

In SERE School, no matter what stress they tried to add to the training, I could simply call up my seat number for the flight from San Diego to Dulles.
Quote:
Try—try—try—try—to think o’ something different—
Oh—my—God—keep—me from goin’ lunatic!
Many with military experience have trained their mind (whether they know it or not) to think and emphasize deadlines and completion dates and this can be a hindrance. A deployment for example: 90 days and a wakeup was once easy to track until at 42 days someone tells us that a new countdown of 50 days has begun. Then, with only 5 days left we are told that all countdowns have been suspended indefinitely. LOL. This is but one example of the F-F GAME played inside and outside your head, and with many, and often Joint, HQ involved, it becomes another fine game by Milton Bradley.

Mental prep should be always #1.
The book “Unbroken” is worth a read. The movie was good as well but seemed to leave out one of the most important chapters.

Once my mental and spiritual condition is programmed to want to see the end of the story, I will want a good knife.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:13 am 

TheWarriorMax wrote:
Yep. Deep Survival by Gonzales is good too.

Positive

Mental

Attitude

I have heard of this book many times but never read it. But thanks to your reminder and one click on Amazon it is now being transmitted to my kindle. I'll poke away at that over the summer.

Most of the books I have read over the years make little mention of psychology. I suppose it is one of the variables that can be hard to train for given that the circumstances are hard to recreate in a training environment.

MT

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:41 am 

I call it "Don't let the suckers win". (Hey I was very young when I decided that, never swore before.)
Never let them break me completely.
I would endure it, get out of it, and shake their dust from my life.

One of the things that got me through it all was somehow I picked up the knowledge that the situation was NOT normal and I could make the rest of my long life into whatever I wanted it to be.
It helps to keep that thought in your brain.

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:49 pm 

Another vote for "Deep Survival." I have read it twice now. Probably need to read it a third time soon. Cody Lundin does a great job with psychology in survival as well. Well, Cody's stuff is just freaking fantastic.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.